Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It wont turn on since I dusted it out!

• 12-02-2010 4:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭

Problem with my computer, wonder if anyone can help. It's a Dell Dimention 2400, in case that makes a difference. I was trying to instal a modem and got bored waiting, so I decided to open her up, see what memory was in there, have a bit of a look round etc. Then I noticed it was really dusty, so I cleaned it out, started taking wires out to get at the dust and so on. I put it all back exactly as it was. Well, I might've mixed up the CD drive and the hard drive, but I tried it both ways and no luck. The main thing I'm worried about is a heat sink I pulled off - it might've been glued or soldered!

Anyway, here's the symptoms:

When I plug everything in, the monitor comes on as usual, like it would if the computer were turned off. Then I press the power button and the computer wont work.

The HDD light flashes once and stops
    The fans come on as normal
    Nothing happens with the monitor
    The power light is orange (usually green)
    The diagnostic lights are all off (usually all on)
    There's a green LED on the motherboard, beside the main power connection (don't know is that normal)
    CD drive opens when I press the button, and the light flashes when I turn on the computer

I've a friend who's pretty handy with computers, but he doesn't seem any more sure than I am. Should I bring it in somewhere, or is there anything I can do to it myself?

Any help you can give me is very much appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

How exactly did you clean it out? With what and how?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭FLievre

Re-open the box and remove the following from the board:
    - Memory Banks
    - Processor
    - Any IDE (Drives) and PCI devices (Cards)

Plug the thing back and start it up. It will make a weird beep sound, when you hear it, unplug the PC, stick everything back in and restart the PC, that should reset the board...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

Thanks FLievre, I'll give that a go. If it works and I can install the modem, I'll let you know, otherwise it'll be Monday again I get doen here again (using the internet in the library).

Cuddlesworth, I cleaned it out by picking up the lumps of dust and throwing them in the bin, and I blew on it too (not a good idea, in hindsight!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,232 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

"Memory Banks". Aye Captain! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

Orange light on Dells often means a power supply problem. Try disconnecting the cable from the power supply to the motherboard, wait a few seconds, and then put it back in again. I imagine there is a processor cable too (4 pin, square); is it plugged in too?

• Advertisement

polyfusion wrote: »
    Orange light on Dells often means a power supply problem. Try disconnecting the cable from the power supply to the motherboard, wait a few seconds, and then put it back in again. I imagine there is a processor cable too (4 pin, square); is it plugged in too?

I pulled out everything as per FLievre's advice - everything except the motherboard power. Took it for granted that was what you meant. I'll try the motherboard power trick in a while, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I wouldn't have removed the processor...but still, it could be that the power supply is blown...if that's the case it'll need a new one.

FLievre wrote: »
    Re-open the box and remove the following from the board:
    - Memory Banks
    - Processor
    - Any IDE (Drives) and PCI devices (Cards)

Plug the thing back and start it up. It will make a weird beep sound, when you hear it, unplug the PC, stick everything back in and restart the PC, that should reset the board...

...or just clear cmos might be a bit quicker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Richie15 wrote: »
    The main thing I'm worried about is a heat sink I pulled off - it might've been glued or soldered!

If that was the heatsink on the CPU you may have dislodged the processor. Make sure its properly seated. I think you may have a problem if the heatsink isn't attached again as well (might have to get some thermal paste and re-apply).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

a tad unhelpful I know but this is why people shouldnt open up their PC's and go poking around unless they have some idea what they are doing :confused:

it sounds like a blown power supply. does it beep at all? if totally dead make sure psu is connected to board and also make sure proc and memory seated correctly, otherwise blown mother board is a possibility

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

It sounds like you didn't put it back exactly as it was. You're probably better off bringing it in for repair to a shop imho.
    Alternatively, get a manual for the motherboard and see where all the connections should be. If you don't have a manual, you can probably get one online by searching for the FCCID or model number of the board.
    The FCCID should be printed on the board.

Next time use a hoover (not on full power and not too close), and leave the wiring be...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

RT66 wrote: »
    Next time use a hoover (not on full power and not too close), and leave the wiring be...

Unless it's an antistatic hoover I wouldn't use it.

OP, it could be a case that you either had an ESD on a component and it's dead and thus the system won't start or when you hooked the wires up incorrectly and powered it on you killed the mobo.

corkcomp wrote: »
    a tad unhelpful I know but this is why people shouldnt open up their PC's and go poking around unless they have some idea what they are doing :confused:
    Absolutely, but I thought I did have some idea! :(

Anyway, I tried disconnecting the PSU from the motherboard and nothing happened, tried disconnecting everything except the PSU and the power button and turned it on, same thing that happened in the first place, fan, orange power light and a green LED on the motherboard come on, nothing else.

So it's most likely the motherboard or the PSU? Can anyone at least reasure me that the hard drive'll be OK?

It may very well be, just don't connect up again to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

compressed air in a can is your only man for these jobs!

So where's the best place to bring it then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Did you disconnect the cables from the motherboard to the front panel on-off switch or reset button by any chance? Are you sure that they are connected correctly?

Hagar wrote: »
    Did you disconnect the cables from the motherboard to the front panel on-off switch or reset button by any chance? Are you sure that they are connected correctly?
    Yep, I'm pretty certain they are. There's no other place or orientation they'd fit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

Absolutely, but I thought I did have some idea! :(

Anyway, I tried disconnecting the PSU from the motherboard and nothing happened, tried disconnecting everything except the PSU and the power button and turned it on, same thing that happened in the first place, fan, orange power light and a green LED on the motherboard come on, nothing else.

So it's most likely the motherboard or the PSU? Can anyone at least reasure me that the hard drive'll be OK?

I wouldn't panic, damage will most likely be limited to one component, probably the psu(humble opinion). In any case Id try and dig up an old power supply from somewhere and try to verify/eliminate the possibility.
    There's always an old power supply somewhere and there all pretty much interchangeable as long as they have the correct number of pins.
    You may already know this but it's important to neutralise the static charge in you're body before handling sensitive computer parts (especially memory). You can do this by touching the bottom of a radiator with your hand.
    I suppose something like a hoover which causes lot of friction at it's nozzle could generate a static charge.
    Don't worry about it too much it should only cost you a quid in the end(fingers crossed).

Good luck.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Cuddlesworth, I cleaned it out by picking up the lumps of dust and throwing them in the bin, and I blew on it too (not a good idea, in hindsight!)

Neither of which is ideal, had you earthed yourself in respect of static before picking dust of the components?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Unless it's an antistatic hoover I wouldn't use it.

Every home should have one..
    If you're not bringing the hoover into contact with anything, it doesn't matter. And unlike the compressed air solution, you're not just rearranging dust.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Neither of which is ideal, had you earthed yourself in respect of static before picking dust of the components?
    Yeh, I rubbed my hands on the radiator first.
    CrinkElite wrote: »
    You may already know this but it's important to neutralise the static charge in you're body before handling sensitive computer parts (especially memory). You can do this by touching the bottom of a radiator with your hand.
    Does it have to be the bottom? :eek:

RT66 wrote: »
    Every home should have one..
    If you're not bringing the hoover into contact with anything, it doesn't matter. And unlike the compressed air solution, you're not just rearranging dust.

You don't need to touch something to emit an ESD. You can pick up an anti static wrist strap + clip for €10 in Maplins and probably cheaper again online.

Advertisement