Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance company rejected Claim on my 2 day old phone!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

Update on my situation:

I'm not even going to bother appealing the phone company insurance cause I've googled them and there's hundreds of things online about how most people have to figtht for months to get anywhere with them. My gym's insurance won't cover it either.

I can't understand how they can say that they insure for loss and theft when if they can put it in a grey area between the two they dont have to pay up...

The gards still havent been in to pick up the CCTV footage. I didn't expect much out of them in the first place.

Anyway, small bit of good news. My gym have given me my next years membership for free. They are embarrassed about the whole thing and are upgrading security policy asap. I'm going to use the money that I normally save up for the gym to buy a new phone and a pad lock!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

trellheim wrote: »
    In the last 10 years 13 years I've had 3 phones replaced on insurance.

Can't understand why people nick em though. IMEI block will paperweight them [ unless I'm wrong and people can burn in a new IMEI ? ]

Someone said that some people are sending them off to the phone recycling websites for 50 - 100 euro a pop.

I did loose a phone many years ago and cancelled the imei number on it. I found it since and it works no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Bill-e wrote: »
    Anyway, small bit of good news. My gym have given me my next years membership for free. They are embarrassed about the whole thing and are upgrading security policy asap. I'm going to use the money that I normally save up for the gym to buy a new phone and a pad lock!

Also don't wash your runners and wear the same socks every time you go to the gym, don't wash the socks either.
    Place your valuables inside the socks inside the runners in the locker.
    Then at least if someone does rob your phone again, just grab the nearest dog and send him on the hunt :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Blocking the IMEI only works for UK and Ireland, you can still use the phone in other countries. Or certainly that's how it used to be a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I can't understand how they can say that they insure for loss and theft when if they can put it in a grey area between the two they dont have to pay up...

There is no gray area. You are insured if you loose your phone or get it robbed. Loose is easy in that you just say I can't find it. For theft you need to take reasonable precautions against theft, such as keeping it secure at all times. Leaving it in an open locker isn't secure.

You unfortunately where too honest when you made the initial call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I'm going to use the money that I normally save up for the gym to buy a new phone and a pad lock!

If you're buying a new padlock, consider buying a combination lock - I always use one in the gym as it saves the hassle of figuring out what to do with the key while showering.

Advertisement