Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helping the deaf and hard-of-hearing enjoy great horse racing videos

Options
  • 12-02-2010 5:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hello everyone, my name is Robin Howlett, I'd like to demonstrate an implementation of an idea I had a few days ago on another forum and I'd love to hear what you think.

I wanted thorobase to investigate the possibility of using crowdsourcing to transcribe the commentary from racing videos so that the deaf and hard-of-hearing could enjoy them also.

Here is the result of my experiment:

Crowdsourced commentary closed-captioning with auto-translation

Play the video to see it in action. If closed-captioning is not already turned on, click the upwards-facing arrow in the bottom right of the YouTube video frame, and click the "CC" button.

I also experimented with using automatic translation tools to provide the closed-captioning in Spanish also (disclaimer: I don't speak a word of Spanish). The left-facing arrow on the left of the "CC" button allows you to select between the English or Spanish subtitles.

Read about how it was done here: Crowdsourcing Race Commentary Transcription.

I would love to hear your feedback about this idea and demo. I hope it is in a format that is compatible for you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

This is brillant! :D
    Hope this will be a huge success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

think c4 have subtitles on their horse races,not sure tho.not a fan of the horses meself.

Advertisement