Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MKV to AVI conversion ?

• 12-02-2010 5:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭

I have a load of 720/1080 MKV video files. I want to convert them to AVI without losing quality. Is this possible ? What program should I use and could someone talk me through it ?

I tried to use alltoavi but it wanted me to input various things like video bitrate, which I have no clue about.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

If you're genuinely serious about quality, I wouldn't recommend it.

Without going into specifics (I can if you like), best case scenario is that you'll end up with something that is noticeably lower in visual quality (esp on a big HD TV) and a lot bigger in terms of file size. And you'll probably be swapping a high-bitrate DTS audio track for a lower bitrate AC3 track. And it'll take a good few hours to do.

So it depends how serious you are about the quality, and how much time (or processing power) you have. If its for a set-top box or something, and you have a lot of movies, it'd be less hassle in the long run to buy a cheap WDTV or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Try SUPER

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

If you're genuinely serious about quality, I wouldn't recommend it.

Without going into specifics (I can if you like), best case scenario is that you'll end up with something that is noticeably lower in visual quality (esp on a big HD TV) and a lot bigger in terms of file size. And you'll probably be swapping a high-bitrate DTS audio track for a lower bitrate AC3 track. And it'll take a good few hours to do.

So it depends how serious you are about the quality, and how much time (or processing power) you have. If its for a set-top box or something, and you have a lot of movies, it'd be less hassle in the long run to buy a cheap WDTV or something.

Crap. I was under the impression there wouldnt be much quality loss. Its for use with a cyclone micro, which unfortunately doesnt support mkv. I cant afford to buy a WDTV.

tn_cyclone-micro-front.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Not suggesting anything at all here but .mkv is really only used for torrents and stuff. Smaller size file etc. That's why it's uncommon and your device won't support it.

Does your device support .vob?

I've found than .mkv to .vob converts better than .mkv to .avi.

Either way there is going to be a bit of quality loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I've used FormatFactory (free) recently to convert MKV to AVIs.
    Can't say it was fast, but it worked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Osu wrote: »

Yeah it does support vob. Full list in link.

http://www.sum-vision.co.uk/productinfo/cyclonemicro/cyclonemicro.html
    Try SUPER
    I've used FormatFactory (free) recently to convert MKV to AVIs.
    Can't say it was fast, but it worked.

I'll give these a go, thanks.

Tusky wrote: »
    Crap. I was under the impression there wouldnt be much quality loss. Its for use with a cyclone micro, which unfortunately doesnt support mkv. I cant afford to buy a WDTV.

Cyclone Micro only supports standard-def (720x576 @ 25fps) video files, so that kind of solves your problem. Forget about maintaining the quality and detail of the 720p and 1080p MKVs, because it simply not possible with this unit. It doesnt support HD content at all. It doesnt even support AC3 from what I can see, so you're going to have to go with bog standard MP3.

In that case, you'll just want to transcode to an AVI, res 720 x whatever, video codec Xvid, MP3 audio. I'd go for a 2-pass encode, with at least 1500kbps video bitrate, and at least 128kbps MP3. Also remember to increase the video bitrate the larger the frame gets, so 720x400 would want more than 720x304 (for example).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gadge

I Use Gotsent for converting my HD mkv files to vobs (for playback on my PS3). You can convert your videos to .avi files too, but it takes a good while. I've done it before and the quality isn't too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Osu wrote: »
    Not suggesting anything at all here but .mkv is really only used for torrents and stuff. Smaller size file etc. That's why it's uncommon and your device won't support it.

I've found than .mkv to .vob converts better than .mkv to .avi.

Either way there is going to be a bit of quality loss.

Is it not a quality issue, mkv's are bigger because they are better quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

The Muppet wrote: »
    Is it not a quality issue, mkv's are bigger because they are better quality.

mkv is just a container. It's like (for example) zip's and rar's. They're both containers for files in their archives.

Typically the .mkv files that are available for download are encoded at a higher bitrate (and with a better codec). This is what causes the larger file size.

If you have access to mencoder (there is one for windows, google) you can do it in a single command:

mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy inputfile.mkv -o outputfile.avi

This would result in no loss of quality at all.

Now you may need to change the codec to something else and that requires a re-encode which is slow but doesn't have to result in lost quality if you use a high enough bitrate. I had a look at that device and it says it supports mpeg 4, so it might play back x264 encoded stuff if you do that mencoder thing. A copy like that should be done in under 30 seconds.

• Advertisement

Khannie wrote: »
    I had a look at that device and it says it supports mpeg 4, so it might play back x264 encoded stuff if you do that mencoder thing. A copy like that should be done in under 30 seconds.

Unfortunately the device doesnt support MPEG-4 AVC (H.264). Only MPEG-4 Part 2, (ie bog standard Xvid/DivX). And standard def only.

So a simple remux definitely won't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

VirtualDubMod

Set the video to 'Direct Stream Copy'

File/Save and choose AVI

You'll retain the actual video/audio stream, abet in an avi container.
    If there's embedded subs or chapters you'll loose those.

Avidemux is another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

get a prog that uses Cuda or Stream to do it, it will be a lot faster

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

A Somewhat lengthy process

MKVExtract to seperate the mkv into audio and video files
    http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MKVExtractGUI
    AVCtoavi to repackage the file as avi
    http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?p=610495&postcount=1
    then just load the avi in virtualdub and convert to xvid.

mind you, if it's just a playabilty issue you're concerned about here, then if you have a PS3, there's a much simpler option.
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/how_to_play_mkv_content_on_playstation_3_ps3.cfm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭J_Wholesale

Xilisoft Video Converter will do the job. It's not free - about $50. I think they're a French company, and their support sucks, but the product does work and it's simple and straight forward. Handles batch conversions well, so you can run it overnight. It has about 3 different avi formats (I don't understand them all myself), only 1 of which plays on my divx dvd player. But 1 is all you need.

I've played around with so many of those video converters, and at the end of the day came to the conclusion that all the freeware is crap, unless you're incredibly patient, love complicated interfaces, and want the one exact format that they happen to do well. You're better off just paying the money, clicking a button, and letting it get on with it.

Why transcode the video again and lose quality when you can retain the original video?

virtualdub_direct_stream_copy.jpg

That one option alone is all you need to enable and re-save as an avi. (screenshot from virtualdub....virtualdunmod will open mkvs though)

The_Edge wrote: »
    Why transcode the video again and lose quality when you can retain the original video?
    Read the thread....its been mentioned a couple of times already.

The whole reason the guy wants to convert to AVI is to play on his Cyclone Micro. The device doesnt support H.264 high-profile, which is what is inside his 720p and 1080p MKVs, guaranteed. Doesnt even support HD full-stop for peat sake, so any res above 720x576, and any codec above MPEG-4 ASP is a no-go.

Ah, my mistake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you use the community codec pack you can play it with WMP, simple as.

If you use the community codec pack you can play it with WMP, simple as.

wow, does anyone read threads anymore before posting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I use OJOsoft total video converter, handles everything I can throw at it including your MKV to AVI request

Advertisement