Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

team of the decade. final team

• 12-02-2010 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭

Okay this is team of decade. debate.
    One of two positions I would have problems with but overall its a good enough team.

Given, Gary Neville, Ferdinand, Terry, Ashley Cole, Ryan Giggs, Roy Keane, Scholes, Ronaldo, RVN,Henry

Manager of Decade: Ferguson

Comments

Keane LOL

and RVN ?

They both only played half a decade SOS ?

No more polls for you !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Keane LOL

Name a better midfield enforcer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Keane LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

can we just close this now?

it was a farce from start to finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Okay this is team of decade. debate.
    One of two positions I would have problems with but overall its a good enough team.

Given, Gary Neville, Ferdinand, Terry, Ashley Cole, Ryan Giggs, Roy Keane, Scholes, Ronaldo, RVN,Henry

Manager of Decade: Ferguson

Who've we got on the subs bench?

That is a savagely impressive team too...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

baz2009 wrote: »
    Makelele in the decade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

SlickRic wrote: »

No debate team here. Team has been put out. Was voted on. Contribute to thread or dont post. Simple enough.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

this decade? Makelele.

and Essien.

i can also name you midfielders who have contributed more to this decade.

DazMarz wrote: »
    Who've we got on the subs bench?

That is a savagely impressive team too...
    No subs bench as such but you can draw it off players like Gerrard, Vieira, Makelele and whoever else.

I don't think the penny is dropping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

SlickRic wrote: »

The idea was to ask people's opinions. That's what happened.
    Opinions are neither right nor wrong they are just opinions, if you don't like the consensus you're just going to have to live with it.
    Asking questions like "who was the best player in position X"? on a forum where there are people who will obviously be extremely biased is always going to end with certain people's nose's being out of joint. At the end of the day (:pac:), who really cares anyway?

Glazers Out!

nullzero wrote: »
    The idea was to ask people's opinions. That's what happened.
    Opinions are neither right nor wrong they are just opinions, if you don't like the consensus you're just going to have to live with it.
    Asking questions like "who was the best player in position X"? on a forum where there are people who will obviously be extremely biased is always going to end with certain people's nose's being out of joint. At the end of the day (:pac:), who really cares anyway?

I think his point is that if a poll for "team of the decade" is put up, at least have players that played a good majority of the decade !!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

You can't blame the OP here it's people voting for players they shouldn't just because of the team they play for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

mayordenis wrote: »
    You can't blame the OP here it's people voting for players they shouldn't just because of the team they play for.

well you can

he put up the polls for the midfielders and left out a lot of people who should have been included and included people who shouldnt

when was the poll for strikers done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

funny how it's mostly Liverpool fans that are fiercest in their condemnation of the whole thing. Lack of Liverpool players in it perhaps?

I've already highlighted that I don't think Keane should have made the team and that their was a real lack of DM type players, and I think Scholes/Gerrard/Lampard is debateable but overall as consistency goes the selections weren't hugely off the mark imo.

Now with my mod hat firmly on, the baiting of SOS has gone beyond a joke, and especially in relation to this thread and subject. There were polls put up and the posters in the Soccer forum voted, rightly or wrongly, for the players they felt should be on the team.

Any more attacks in this thread that are directed at either SOS or any other poster rather than the team selections will be met with red card infractions, and may lead to a ban.

only real quibble i have with was with Gerrard ommission. He has been the one strong player on that Liverpool team on a consistent basis. He was voted in our top three of all time, got our player of the decade. His questionable star fish antics aside, he has been absolutely immense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Gerrard for Keane was about the only change I'd make. And that's speaking as a United fan. Wouldn't have Makelele or Essien in there mainly for the same reason as not having Keane there (only played half the decade).

You could argue the same for Ruud but he broke pretty much every scoring record going and there weren't many other options.

Overall pretty fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think it's asburd, absurd, that Pires isn't there.

---

Can we all agree that this is the end of the polls until at least the end of the season :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

PHB wrote: »
    Can we all agree that this is the end of the polls until at least the end of the season :)

That sort of thing should be decided by poll tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

---

Id have to agree with pires but then again, id have gerrard and zola in my team too.....(granted not in the traditional 442 formation).........(so im in a smaller minority than you are :D)

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    That sort of thing should be decided by poll tbh
    trust me no more polls going until end of season poll. Not worth the effort or the grief to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Giggs has played every season of the decade.Pires was good for 2 seasons and you cant seriously have him ahead of Ronaldo. Robben and Duff at Chelsea were just as good as Giggs at their heights for Chelsea but again 2 seasons. Liverpool have had no winger worth a mention. Players like Torres and Rooney will most likely be in the next team in 10 years time. The only reason Gerrard isnt in team is unrealistic voting. Scholes inclusion is probably again consistancy but then I would have Lampard in their ahead of him. Zola was at his best in 90's along with Shearer & Bergkamp so it was between RVN & Drogba to partner la cheat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

---

When he's up against Giggs and Ronaldo it's pretty understandable that he didn't get in.

While he'd be well worth a place in the team it's far from absurd that he's not in. I voted Giggs and Ronaldo, Pires was in close contention though.

Only player I really take issue with being in the team is Keane. I feel Viera, Gerrard and Lampard (arguably Makelele as well) were all far more deserving of a place.

The Centre-Backs, centre-mids and goalkeeper were all hard to choose. Every other position was more clear-cut in my opinion.

For what it's worth I like these polls. EPL Team of the year was a bit pointless as it covered 2 incomplete seasons, but Team of the Decade was well worth running and led to some interesting debate and results, as well as the odd good video of players not playing anymore. Centre-Midfield poll was a bit of a farce true, but not the whole thing.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Just want to say kudos for SOS for sticking it theough til the end, i'd have given up long before now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

trust me no more polls going until end of season poll. Not worth the effort or the grief to be fair.

It was the same a few months back, when I tried to start a poll, about goals or something, people were more interested in shooting the idea down than actually watching any of the goals. Maybe people here prefer complaining about things than watching/discussing football.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

That team was selected through the voting Boardsies. The candidates were also nominated by us. How is it the organiser's fault for the final results?
    I may disagree with a position or two, but how can one not have,for example, Giggs and Ronaldo on the team? Astronomical influence to their teams the past decade. This does not mean that the likes of Pires etc. did not have great decades, it just means they weren't the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

That team was selected through the voting Boardsies. The candidates were also nominated by us. How is it the organiser's fault for the final results?
    I may disagree with a position or two, but how can one not have,for example, Giggs and Ronaldo on the team? Astronomical influence to their teams the past decade. This does not mean that the likes of Pires etc. did not have great decades, it just means they weren't the best

It doesn't mean they weren't the "best" which is a highly subjective matter. What you can say with certainty is that less people voted for them, or at best. less people thought them to be the "best".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

greendom wrote: »
    It doesn't mean they weren't the "best" which is a highly subjective matter. What you can say with certainty is that less people voted for them, or at best. less people thought them to be the "best".

Unnecessary semantic analysis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Not entirely true and well, I just don't care enough to regurgitate my opinions on the selection/nomination process.

As for the team, it went how I expected on viewing the selections. Not how I would have voted for a few positions but, meh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Congrats on a well run poll SOS. Not everyone realizes that the results had nothing to do with you, pity they can't just get over it and thank you for the effort you put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

Having Roy Keane there is completely retarded and makes this whole debacle irrelevant. You may as well scrap this whole idea. Sure while your at it stick Cantona in there as well.

Having Roy Keane there is completely retarded and makes this whole debacle irrelevant. You may as well scrap this whole idea. Sure while your at it stick Cantona in there as well.

United won the league 3 times in the period Keane played in the 00s. I don't see anything wrong with him being in it.

thanks lads. Appreciate the vote of confidence ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I can only agree with the people who are disgusted with the team.

The team is flooded with players who played for the team who won the prem 6 times in the decade.

Boards.ie having a laugh tbh

curry-muff wrote: »
    United won the league 3 times in the period Keane played in the 00s. I don't see anything wrong with him being in it.

That's kind of irrelevant with regards to this poll. Sure United have won the league three times since then with Darren Fletcher in the same position. We are talking about individual talent during that decade. This poll is about the best players in their respective positions, not team honours. By your reckoning you may as well say that Scholes has been the best central midfielder in the premiership over the last 2 seasons cos United have won the league on these occasions.

Keane had his best years in the 90's and the start of the 00's. Gerrard or Lampard should be there instead. This is blantantly obvious and I can't believe you are actually trying to argue this point. I feel a bit silly for even replying to your post.

• Advertisement

That's kind of irrelevant with regards to this poll. Sure United have won the league three times since then with Darren Fletcher in the same position. We are talking about individual talent during that decade. This poll is about the best players in their respective positions, not team honours. By your reckoning you may as well say that Scholes has been the best central midfielder in the premiership over the last 2 seasons cos United have won the league on these occasions.

Keane had his best years in the 90's and the start of the 00's. Gerrard or Lampard should be there instead. This is blantantly obvious and I can't believe you are actually trying to argue this point. I feel a bit silly for even replying to your post.

Keane in those years contributed more than any other player to United. Comparing him to Fletcher is more idiotic than replying to my post. Fletcher won those in the same team as Ronaldo and Rooney. The years Keane won them he was the most important player. Keanes only bad year(s) was in 05 and maybe including the end of 04. Just because Gerrard and Lampard have played more games in the 00s by no means makes them more talented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Scholes has been the best central midfielder in the premiership since it's inception

FYP ;)

Keane had his best years in the 90's and the start of the 00's.

This is actually worth discussing.

Gerrard or Lampard should be there instead.

Should ? Says who ?
    Lampard isn't fit to lace any other AMs boots in that poll imo and you will find many agreed with it hence him not getting chosen.

This is blantantly obvious and I can't believe you are actually trying to argue this point.

Obvious to whom ? Liverpool and Chelsea fans ?What about the fans of both who voted for neither or only one ? :rolleyes:

I feel a bit silly for even replying to your post.

Ditto.

curry-muff wrote: »
    Keane in those years contributed more than any other player to United. Comparing him to Fletcher is more idiotic than replying to my post. Fletcher won those in the same team as Ronaldo and Rooney. The years Keane won them he was the most important player. Keanes only bad year(s) was in 05 and maybe including the end of 04. Just because Gerrard and Lampard have played more games in the 00s by no means makes them more talented.

Did I say Fletcher was on a par with keane? No. I'm pointing out the flaws in your reasoning when you say that Keane deserves to be there cos United won the league with him on a few occasions during the decade. For the second time, it's not about team honours. Then you actually go on to support mine and everyone else's argument in saying that keane's only bad years were in '05 and the end of '04. So...(LOL) you are saying that Keane only had 3 and a half good years in the premiership during this decade and yet he deserves a place in this team? Seriously, give it up!

And yes, of course Gerrard and Lampard should be there ahead of him if they played brilliant throughout the whole decade. 10 years for Gerrard and 8 years for Lampard vs 3 and a half years for Keane? No contest!

d22ontour wrote: »
    FYP ;)

This is actually worth discussing.

Should ? Says who ?
    Lampard isn't fit to lace any other AMs boots in that poll imo and you will find many agreed with it hence him not getting chosen.

Obvious to whom ? Liverpool and Chelsea fans ?What about the fans of both who voted for neither or only one ? :rolleyes:

Ditto.

I like the way you attack my posts but not once do you come up with a counter-argument for Keane's inclusion in this team. I presume you have a good reason as to why he should be included for playing well for about 3 years in that decade?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,367 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I voted on the polls as a bit of fun, I certainly did not realise there were people here who seem to be held indoors too long.

• Advertisement

I like the way you attack my posts but not once do you come up with a counter-argument for Keane's inclusion in this team. I presume you have a good reason as to why he should be included for playing well for about 3 years in that decade?

The ,this is actually worth discussing bit, no ? ;)

The bit were you are insistent that Gerrard and Lampard should have been chosen is probably the most irksome and led to that....

The ,this is actually worth discussing bit, no ? ;)

The bit were you are insistent that Gerrard and Lampard should have been chosen is probably the most irksome and led to that....

What? Are you drunk?

Edit: Actually I get you now. The commas instead of inverted commas confused me. Ok, good for you. Have a good weekend...

What? Are you drunk?

Edit: Actually I get you now. The commas instead of inverted commas confused me. Ok, good for you. Have a good weekend...

Sigh...

You actually made a good point about Keanes inclusion which i agreed to, and kinda quoted it in your follow up rant.The rest of your point just seems like garble thrown together because you can't 'attack my post' about Gerrard and Lampard not being the best 2 midfielders in this last decade.There is possible reason to include Gerrard which i stated but Lampard ? That's as bad as including Terry as a centre half, oh wait ...Carvalho ? Guess he doesn't count ? Fanbois will be fanbois i suppose....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

LOL, what else does Lampard have to do then?He is one of the best goal scoring midfielders in the world and has consistently scored 20 goals for the past 4 seasons and been consistently one of Chelsea's best players for the last decade. If Lampard played for United/pool whoever you support I'd say you would be creaming your pants over him.

It's obvious you have a dislike for Chelsea but you could at least recognize there best players over the last decade.

Johner wrote: »
    LOL, what else does Lampard have to do then?

Be effective and actually influence a game ?
    He is one of the best goal scoring midfielders in the world and has consistently scored 20 goals for the past 4 seasons

I always said i acknowledge what he can do or has done but that doesn't take from what he doesn't do.
    and been consistently one of Chelsea's best players for the last decade.

This is irrelevant.

If Lampard played for United I'd say you would be creaming your pants over him.

I don't think we have the midfield to allow him to saunter through games tbh.
    It's obvious you have a dislike for Chelsea but you could at least recognize there best players over the last decade.

Eh ? You are a trophy rival and nothing more.Just imagine what we could do with a sugar daddy....It's quite a scary proposition,eh ? , but, yet we win shíte being as poor as fook as we are.

You voted for Terry and Lampard and Cole i take it ?

No Carvalho and Essien ? Huh ?

Fanbois....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

LOL, what else does Lampard have to do then?He is one of the best goal scoring midfielders in the world and has consistently scored 20 goals for the past 4 seasons and been consistently one of Chelsea's best players for the last decade. If Lampard played for United/pool whoever you support I'd say you would be creaming your pants over him.

Have to agree re Lampard, and that is from an Arsenal fan, a top top player imo.

I don't think anyone disputes he is a top player in a system that can accommodate him tbh, just that he isn't as good as the others in the list.Chelsea fanbois don't see past that though.... :rolleyes:

Sorry had to edit that, made me think of a few scenarios...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Be effective and actually influence a game ?

Of course he influences games, most people who actually have a clue about football will tell you Lampard would push close for a place on a team of the decade and is a world class midfielder.

I always said i acknowledge what he can do or has done but that doesn't take from what he doesn't do.

What doesn't he do then?
    This is irrelevant.

How is it irrelevant being one of the best players in one of the most successful teams in England over the last decade?
    I don't think we have the midfield to allow him to saunter through games tbh.

Right! So you wouldn't have Lampard in your United team if given the chance?
    Eh ? You are a trophy rival and nothing more.Just imagine what we could do with a sugar daddy....It's quite a scary proposition,eh ? , but, yet we win shíte being as poor as fook as we are.

Don't kid yourself, you've spent millions as well.
    You voted for Terry and Lampard and Cole i take it ?

No Carvalho and Essien ? Huh ?

Fanbois....

Terry and Lampard for Chelsea and Cole for Arsenal/Chelsea over the decade yes would be my nominations from my club. Possibly Makelele,Essien and Carvalho but they have only played 5/6 years each in this decade.

Of course he influences games, most people who actually have a clue about football will tell you Lampard would push close for a place on a team of the decade and is a world class midfielder.

Influences ? In what way ? He has not a defensive bone is his body to be able to react to anything.Give him space and the ball and he rocks...

What doesn't he do then?

Why i bite.... He does fook all when you don't have the ball

How is it irrelevant being one of the best players in one of the most successful teams in England over the last decade?

Sigh you really need me to tell you why ?

Right! So you wouldn't have Lampard in your United team if given the chance?

Incase you didn't get the last part, eh , no , We had a prodigy who needed the team to adapt to his influences which we did quite well as you well know.You think Lampard is good enough for United to change our system to accommodate him , really ? I want an honest answer to this please.

Don't kid yourself, you've spent millions as well.

Roman has spent at least 10 times as much as us in the last 6 years , no ? Totally made up figures but are probably quite close. :rolleyes:

Terry and Lampard for Chelsea and Cole for Arsenal/Chelsea over the decade yes would be my nominations from my club. Possibly Makelele,Essien and Carvalho but they have only played 5/6 years each in this decade.

See this is were every other football fan ridicules you.You honestly think Terry has been better than Carvalho is what makes most other fans find anything you/chelsea fans post to be ridiculous.Carvalho has probably been the best centre back ever in the premier league but yet you spout ****é about Terry like no other centre half comes close.

If you want me to really take apart Lamps i could find the cm thread but am sure bay asked for it to be closed ...

I voted on the polls as a bit of fun, I certainly did not realise there were people here who seem to be held indoors too long.

:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement