Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gerry Ryan Radio Show Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭patff

RIP Gerry,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

as things wind down for this evening, I wanted to put on record how proud I am of the forum - I've not had to as much as warn anyone.

Anyone reading through this thread from the start will know he wasn't the most popular presenter on the forum, but the respect shown since the news was confirmed has been amazing. I hope that doesn't sound patronising - I've had to give out when people crossed the line before, so I'm happy, and proud, to be frank - to give credit where it's due.

fair play lads, and if any of the Ryan family do happen to browse across this thread in the months and years to come, I think the end of the thread will show that, if we didn't always like the show, we definately recognise the impact the show and the man had on Irish society.

RIP Gerry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Anyone remember "the night train" back in the early 80's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

I keep getting told about his old nighttime show with Dave Fanning. I hear it's great craic.

Anyone have any old recordings of it or clips of it? I'd much appreciate it. PM if ya have. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

tbh wrote: »
    as things wind down for this evening, I wanted to put on record how proud I am of the forum - I've not had to as much as warn anyone.

Anyone reading through this thread from the start will know he wasn't the most popular presenter on the forum, but the respect shown since the news was confirmed has been amazing. I hope that doesn't sound patronising - I've had to give out when people crossed the line before, so I'm happy, and proud, to be frank - to give credit where it's due.

fair play lads, and if any of the Ryan family do happen to browse across this thread in the months and years to come, I think the end of the thread will show that, if we didn't always like the show, we definately recognise the impact the show and the man had on Irish society.

RIP Gerry.
    Well said. I was expecting a mess when I came in here, thankfully I was wrong.

I didn't care for his show but it is very sad that a man of his age has passed leaving a still young family behind.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Was a fan of him in the early days before he joined the elite of RTE. He always came across a bit pompous and out of touch with the working class after that. However, he was certainly worth a shot at the LLS before Tubridy (what a disaster he has turned out to be) and his work on Ryan Confidential was probably his best TV work and a damned good show in fairness.

RIP Gerry. Still cant believe that he is gone.. Only watched him with Heather Mills less that 24 hours ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,229 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

To be a household name such as he was takes a strong Character. Love him or Hate him you have to appreciate that he made you stop and think. Cant put a value on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Gerry Ryan was part of my morning routine for so many years. I even got very down and depressed every time he was out sick or on his long summer holidays.:(

I am devastated, i had the pleasure of meeting him a few times many yrs ago when he used to be heading down west for romantic weekends before he even got married.

I always remember being so delighted to finally meet him as i had felt he was like a best pal as he was part of my life for well over 2 decades. Gerry Ryan RIP you will be sorely missed but never ever forgotten.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

For those who didnt see it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Poly wrote: »
    Anyone remember "the night train" back in the early 80's?

That was Mark Cagney first and then Mike Moloney. Ryan's show was on before that after Dave Fanning. 6 hours of excellent music all in a row.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The balance of coverage is interesting for almost ignoring his pre-88 daytime show.

Bloody hell, Bertie Ahern :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

legspin wrote: »
    That was Mark Cagney first and then Mike Moloney. Ryan's show was on before that after Dave Fanning. 6 hours of excellent music all in a row.

That was pretty easy in the 80s I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I didn't care for his show but it is very sad that a man of his age has passed leaving a still young family behind.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam[/QUOTE]

could'nt be said better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Dalmation 1

Just a few pics i took of Gerry earlier this year to remember him by.

A proud dad with his daughters Lottie & Bonnie.

b8-5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Dalmation 1

Gerry Ryan at the Meteor Awards Press conference

Gerry1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

May he rest in peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭sudzs

I can't believe it. My thoughts are with his children, especially the younger ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

At the request of members of the public, RTE will open a book of condolences at the RTE Radio Reception Donnybrook from 12 noon until 6pm tomorrow.

http://www.rte.ie/arts/2010/0430/ryang.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

I can't say I agreed with him on his opinions and half the people he'd have ring would set my teeth on edge (I used to have to listen to it when I worked in an office) but there's no doubting he had a profound effect on Irish radio and on society as well. You'd nearly always meet someone who'd start a conversation with "did you hear on the Gerry Ryan show about..."

Having lost my own dad when I was in my twenties, I will say that I am so sorry his family are having to deal with this. And as my grandmother died the other week aged 101, 53 is too young to be gone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

RIP Gerry....

He annoyed me on the radio.. he wound me up, but yet i would listen in every now and then for this reaction
    BUT for a presenter to have that effect on me shows how great he was..

he was one of the best presenter, love or hate him people still tuned in too listen

to the family and friends of Gerry Ryan, my deepest sympathy a great Irish man has been lost...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

i have been listening to him almost every weekday morning for twenty years.

some things that stick out are, in no order at all, terrance, the early topics back in 88/89 like do you masterbate, his getting married couples and single women to open up about their private lives, his frequent annoyance at the technology in the studio going wrong

but the one that sticks out is the day that Ray Burke was broadcasting on Radio Ireland. He had published plans to turn Radio Two as it was then into some sort of bizzare Educational Cultural thingy which, of course, would mean a field day for Radio Ireland. Gerry told his listeners to ring in and give him hell on RI. He stood up for the station that day in a very public way which could have gotten him the sack from RTE and Radio Ireland and the other independants may not have gone near him. Maybe he saved Radio Two that day, and you may have your own view if it was worth saving, but he stood up that day and fair play to him.

I always thought his way of teasing out a difficult story - often heatbreaking - was one that was done with respect, deacency and a lack of sensationalism.

He will leave a very very big hole in the irish broadcasting world and by god he will be missed. As Larry Gogan said today when the news was offically announced during Nuacht in the Golden Hour, Sleep Well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

I always listened to his paper round up and other stuff on TV.

Grew up with him.

I'm shocked.

So unexpected.

RIP Gerry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

I posted something similar on a private forum on boards earlier tonight...my tribute to Gerry Ryan:

....Gerry Ryan (broadcaster) died today....
    ...one aspect of Gerry was that he thrived on the silly, the irreverent.......just thought I'd post something to commemorate his contribution to radio broadcasting...especially since I highly regard this medium of communication

......those of you around in the 80's & early 90s listening to radio will know what I mean

...he was the original Irish 'shock jock'...he talked of mowing his front garden lawn naked...he cut people off the line mid -sentence when they wanted to him to play a "request" for someone.....

.....this all maybe a little tame if compared by "today's" standards but it just wasn't done/said back then....and he said it....and it was all good...

........Gerry, I honour you with the Supreme Order of the Lamb (gate):p:

61727_doroffy_the_lamb.jpg

Lights Out...oh haw...blast blast blast.....:) ***
    ***(reference J Ryan Radio show late 80s around 10pm (before Night train with Cagney and after Dave))***

RIP Gerry....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I was certainly not a fan but he was a father to young children and my thoughts are with them tonight

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭sumo12

I was not a fan and would turn off both radio and tv when he was on it. However, he was a massive figure in Irish life and I am genuinely saddened to hear of his sudden death.

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

telekon wrote: »
    That was pretty easy in the 80s I'd say.

Nevertheless, much and all as I disliked his thing after he went daytime , even with rose-tinted hindsight his show was not bad. Cagney was a much bigger loss for me personally but Ryan introduced me to loads of stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Awfully sad to hear this today! Like many posters, would tune in every now and then to see what he was talkin about! He had a talent and a presence that will be sorely missed on morning radio.

Prayers to the family.

RIP Gerry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 oxegen tix

Looking over this thread really brings home to me how many Irish people (generally) really are a nation of begrudgers. They resent success, even when that success is taking the path least trodden and involves hard work and passion. Even when that success contributes to the betterment of society, e.g. helping people solve their problems, making us laugh during tough times, debating and really debating real issues… Gerry Ryan left a starter career in law to go in to broadcasting – his passion, and something he was imminently suited to. I was in complete awe of Gerry Ryan – he had fantastic communication skills, being able to move from serious to frivolous topic and back again with ease and unbelievable empathy, something that is lacking in many other presenters. On top of that I was in awe of his intellect – the breadth and depth of his knowledge sometimes astounded me and those who say he was a know-it-all, yes, you’re right, but maybe some were bitter and twisted because they really just didn’t know as much as him. Listening regularly to his show over the years, I often asked myself, ‘my God, is there anything Gerry Ryan doesn’t know about?’, but why be resentful of that??? I can’t understand some people. He was quite obviously a huge family man and constantly spoke with love of his wife and kids, who could fault that? He was life-loving, his love of cigars and fine whiskey and wine being a case in point. The comments about his unhealthy lifestyle as a contributing factor are annoying, as I never came across any person more meticulous about reforming their health – he was constantly going on about this full medical and that one. He was gregarious, full of life, larger than life and brightened up the mornings of so many of us, it will only hit us later that that bright, shining star is gone. Condolences to Gerry’s family and friends. RIP X

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭electron

rip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Gerry Ryan show tribute on 2fm now

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

I missed some of the tribute show.

How can I listen to it again? As it wasn't a 'regular programme' you can't find it on the 'listen again' bit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

UpCork wrote: »
    I missed some of the tribute show.

How can I listen to it again? As it wasn't a 'regular programme' you can't find it on the 'listen again' bit?

Its Up now under the Tommy and Hector slot,

Very Poignant Show

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

paconnors wrote: »
    Its Up now under the Tommy and Hector slot,

Very Poignant Show
    Cheers

The bits I heard were very sad :(

EDIT - When I go into listen to the show it tells me that 'there is no media available

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

This thread is emo-madness

if brian cowen died would you be sad?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Trolling of any sort will not be tolerated and met with a lengthy category ban.

To the regulars here, well done on being respectful in light ofthe unfortunate recent events and not marring the thread and yourselves.

Kudos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

Rest in peace Gerry.

Deepest sympathies to the Ryan family and friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭saltandpepper10

great tribute show,took some courage from those ladies who have lost a great friend,well done to all concerned RIP GERRY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Some have said about Gerry Ryan 'you either loved him or you hated him'. I don't think thats true. I think he was the type of broadcaster who you could really like one day and dislike the next, depending on what he was talking about.

Me- he infuriated me, made me admire him, I thought he was a prick, then I thought he was the voice of reason. Thought he was ignorant, then thought he was a genius. Disliked him, then thought he could be a friend.

He was provocative, and made people think - challenged them, and seldom took the easy way out.

Those are the traits of a fine, fine broadcaster.

I wasn't his biggest fan, but I can't help admire him. What he did, he did very well, and in a way no one else does. Derivative - thats the word I'm looking for - he was never derivative, unlike so many other, lazy, broadcasters. And radio in Ireland is now worse off than it was on Thursday.

Andy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

A lot has been said about his children, if it's not too insensitive could i ask how old they are? I mean are we talking under 10? Over 20?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

scudzilla wrote: »
    A lot has been said about his children, if it's not too insensitive could i ask how old they are? I mean are we talking under 10? Over 20?

AFAIK The youngest is 9, the oldest 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭pinkfloyd34

alinton wrote: »
    Some have said about Gerry Ryan 'you either loved him or you hated him'. I don't think thats true. I think he was the type of broadcaster who you could really like one day and dislike the next, depending on what he was talking about.

Me- he infuriated me, made me admire him, I thought he was a prick, then I thought he was the voice of reason. Thought he was ignorant, then thought he was a genius. Disliked him, then thought he could be a friend.

He was provocative, and made people think - challenged them, and seldom took the easy way out.

Those are the traits of a fine, fine broadcaster.

I wasn't his biggest fan, but I can't help admire him. What he did, he did very well, and in a way no one else does. Derivative - thats the word I'm looking for - he was never derivative, unlike so many other, lazy, broadcasters. And radio in Ireland is now worse off than it was on Thursday.

Andy.
    thats a good post there, i thought he spoke alot of common sense and knew alot about a vast range of subjects and his line of 'you tell us and we will tell them' summed his show up, i really was in tears this morning when evlyn o'rourke signed off at the end of the tribute show, i have to compliment them on the courage and dignity they put into it, im surprised only 2,000 people signed the book of condolance, i thought there would be much more, im in limerick so couldnt get up to dublin but thought more would have signed it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Just to say, I never really listened much to his program, but I always knew it was there, and I'm kinda sad now I didn't listen to it more.

It was like you felt he was always there, a bit like a real friend you hadn't met for ages, but you knew you could take it up again anytime you wanted like you'd never left it off. But that can't happen now.

He'll be missed more than he ever could have believed.

May he rest in peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Great show on at the minute with John Clarke.
    Tribute show to be repeated at 7 this evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

im surprised only 2,000 people signed the book of condolance, i thought there would be much more, im in limerick so couldnt get up to dublin but thought more would have signed it

Pity they did not but a web based condolences book up also, or have they? I'm in Belgium so coming over to sign was not an option but if I was in Dublin I'd get over to Montrose to sign.

Still can't believe:confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭barakus

I would have definately signed the book of condolence but am in Cork. My girlfriend rang me when she heard the news. It was only last week I got a ribbing in the pub from workmates for being a huge fan of G Ryan.
    For a lot of people he was a companion that you shared the morning with and I for one will really miss listening to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Greg Parke

I was surprised at Gerry Ryan's death. I think 53 is far too young and I feel for his family. Strange though, while flicking through the channels I came across him interviewing Heather Mills the night before he died on RTE 1 and I remember thinking how unwell he looked. My exact thoughts were ... lose some weight man or it'll be the death of ya!

I feel there is too much hypocrisy surrounding his death. Lets face facts... he wasn't a very nice person and (from what I gathered) was one of the last to reluctantly take a pay cut in RTE.

Yet he supposedly ''Empathized'' with listener problems considering the bucks that dude was on!!? Yes I never met him but those who did never had a nice word to say about him to me. Yes we all have egos in radio but.... Anyway, hes gone now so it should be interesting to see what RTE do next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Greg Parke wrote: »
    Lets face facts... he wasn't a very nice person

there are facts and there are opinions Greg. Those who knew him would probably dispute your "fact" vehemently. I didn't know him personally, but I would never presume to know what he was like as a person, certainly not before the man is buried.

So please, as I said earlier in the thread, if you'd like to leave a respectful comment, that's fine. If not, please don't post. Respectful doesn't mean you have to say you liked him or his show - as a lot of posts will prove - but I don't think anyone needs to read comments like the that one just at this moment.
    thanks. Any comments are welcome on this via PM. Any off-topic posts on this thread will simply be deleted.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement