Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gerry Ryan Radio Show Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,648 ✭✭✭prunudo

Greenman wrote: »
    Pity they did not but a web based condolences book up also, or have they? I'm in Belgium so coming over to sign was not an option but if I was in Dublin I'd get over to Montrose to sign.

Still can't believe:confused::confused::confused:

As far as I know from listening to 2Fm over the last couple of days, any texts or emails of condolences sent into the station will be sent onto the Ryan family.

Personally I cant believe that he has gone, I have listened to him for the last 15 odd years (30 yrs old now). Recently I had been looking forward to each show with more and more interest. Just listening to the replay of the tribute show now and its all the little things that I'll miss. The turkey sliter song, santa's sack, the way he talked to his crayfish 'Norman', his opinions on everything, his humour.

Only the other day he read out a email from a guy who had come to Ireland and he was thanking Gerry for helping him to learn english through listening to the show every morning. Gerry sounded genuinely touched by this and i bet he is looking down on us now over-whelmed by the publics grief.

Condolences to his family and all who knew him.
    Rip G. Ryan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Having a book of condolences in the Mansion House is a good idea - he was so proud to be a Dub that it's very appropriate. And it will suit more people to drop in there during the week rather than trekking out to RTE. I thought the show was a bit sprawling at times but there's no doubt that he was brilliant at what he did. You always felt he really liked people, and had great respect for the ordinary man in the street. And most days (though, shamefully, in recent years I'd moved away from 2FM in the mornings), he could make you laugh out loud at some nonsense. He'll be sorely missed

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭pinkfloyd34

CMod EDIT: Please read moderator on thread warnings and refrain from posting unsubstantiated comment or speculation.

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

From Radiowaves written by Slicklink about those on Boards.ie
    "I constantly see threads (mostly on boards.ie) dissing 2fm. Normally from idiots that would **** themselves if given a gig on national radio. Most wouldnt get on a community station."
    Nice one Slicklink. You're not even on a community station yourself these days, are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Lets not make this personal, boards.ie is big and ugly while radiowaves is a tiny corner for insiders & anoraks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Oh man, here we go. I have a feeling there's gonna be tears this morning. I almost don't wanna listen....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Oh man, here we go. I have a feeling there's gonna be tears this morning. I almost don't wanna listen....

Yup.. I'm in work so I won't be listening. It's just too much. I'll catch the podcast tonight. Good luck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Kizza

He should be in his seat whinging about the papers - telling us glorified tales of his bank holiday weekend. To say the country is mourning his death its too hard to grasp :( Life is too cruel at times this is a prime example.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

I'm actually sitting at my desk crying listening to his show :(

I often listened to Ray D'arcy from 9 -12 but would catch 'The Ryan Show' on playback etc and was a fan of his for years.

Too sad. How the people in RTE can do the show without actually cracking up is unbelieveable. I'd just be in bits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭airhorn

I was never a fan of the man or his style of presenting, however i have to say i too was stunned when i heard the news of his untimely death, my thoughts are with his family & friends. RIP Gerry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

never knew how much i liked him until hes gone now. cant believe he is gone. Hope hes resting well in heaven.

They're reading out texts and the tears have started...... :(

Some great words from Turbidy, there. Obviously misses him a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Terribly sad show. RIP G. Ryan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

just really caught the last 30 mins, thought it was very nice, very heartfelt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭jacaranda

I know I will probably be shot down for saying so (and I think Gerry Ryan was a splendid fellow), but I got Gerry Ryan fatigue at some point over the weekend with all the coverage wherever one went.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Now Joe Duffy is reading a eulogy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

mike65 wrote: »
    Now Joe Duffy is reading a eulogy.

why no mention of his girlfriend she seems to be getting airbrushed out of the whole thing,must be very upsetting for her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

why no mention of his girlfriend she seems to be getting airbrushed out of the whole thing,must be very upsetting for her

well how close was she? she didnt have a key to his place....

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Goldenlady

Actually still in shock over Gerry, having studied broadcasting in College, he was a massive influence on my decision to study, just really liked his style (At times!).....
    I listened to him every day in work, got some abuse from others as they listen to Ray D'arcy and made jokes about me being an old fogey!!

I just cant imagine how his family and ex wife are feeling, plus my thoughts are with his partner too as I believe she is being forgotten about in all this...........

RIP G Ryan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Ruth Scott will be playing music from 9 to 12 for the rest of this week. God it sounds weird today. Its starting to sink in that he won't be back:(

On another note a great tribute by Oliver Callan this morning on Nob Nation. try and have a listen.

Oh and the funeral mass will be broadcast on 2FM from 11:30am Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Any links to the Nob Nation from today or yesterday?

I never took time to listen to him but it seems he is irreplaceable. Just music on 2FM this morning.

I never took time to listen to him but it seems he is irreplaceable. Just music on 2FM this morning.

I don't see one on the website at the minute but if you have an iphone you should be able to listen to it via the 2fm app

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

http://2fm.rte.ie/

I am not listening today, listening to D'arcy instead (don't judge me :) ) but how is the show this morning; is it very sombre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

actually, now that the tribute shows are over, it's probably ok to start discussing the next incumbent (we had asked that people not discuss this until after the funeral tomorrow - but don't worry). Just bear in mind that we're going to be locking this thread tomorrow, so I'll start a new thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭the watchman

Been listening to Gerry on and off since 1995.
    Recently starting listening again and am somehow glad I heard the last broadcast - 'packing bags in supermarkets'.
    This really is a situation where we don't appreciate what we have untill it's gone. For the life of me I just cannot see anyway that RTE can fill the 9-12 slot. I mean I turned back to Gerry because there was no other chat show during that slot that 'did it for me'. As far as I can see there is nothing and no one at this time that can replace what he gave us during those 3hours. At the moment they are just getting someone to fill in playing music commenting on Gerry occasionally and whilst this is about all that can be done at the present time my feeling is that this is the only thing they will be doing for a very very long time. I know for a fact that if anyone came on to do a chat show I would change stations as there simple is no one that can do what he did 'in the way/style' that he did.

Where ever he is I know he'll be shaking things up a bit and making it a better place for when I get there.

My thoughts are with his family and close friends.

Feck you Gerry, you made another grown man cry.
    RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭wicklori

I have always been a big Gerry Ryan fan, haven't always agreed with him, but always listened. I have been widely slagged in my social circle about 'my mate Gerry...' but it was well known that I always listened-to the extent that 5 different people text me on friday whilst I was in Paris to tell me the bad news.

There were tears yesterday at 9am.... I know I only spoke to him on the phone and I didn't REALLY know him, but it feels like a friend has died.

30th April 2010, the day talk radio died.... Goodbye Gerry, look after the Ryanline in the sky, 9am on 2fm will never be the same.

From me and them until then (whenever)... Goodbye, and sleep well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

Was anybody else like me flicking through all the stations this morning?.
    I get up at 9 and usually Its the papers that I really enjoy then I might flick round the dial but the papers were great.
    I ended up listening to Ray Darcy and he kinda read out some headlines but was not the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭bored and fussy

i listened to ray darcy yesterday and i then tuned in to joe duffy i was sickened to hear him pretend to be his best friend, who made him chief mourner

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Valve

Just a gentle note here guys and girls. Gerry is not even buried yet! His children will see all comments posted eventually, or even as we post. To them, he was simply 'DAD'! And they want their Daddy back. Lovely words from a lot of folks here.
    'All criticism shares one characteristic - it is all unwelcome'

If we all threw our problems into a big pile - we'de soon take our own back!
    And to finish, simply a suggestion - We should never criticize another, until we have walked in their shoes.
    As for a replacement for Gerry - The Patience Of Waiting Is Never a Waste Of Time!

Gerry was HUGE and Beautiful - but like us all, inside, he was small!
    A Human Being.

May His God rest him and may His God Bless his family and relations.

A Friend. x

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭mikemike

miketv ,, I thought it was only me ... I was flicking like a b*stard ..

Driving along , usually I'd stay on 2fm and listen to what Gerry had to say ....

But this morning , I was all over the place ,, couldn't find ANY station that really suited me ,, God I miss him ..

2FM is gonna have a serious challenge to keep the listeners..

I think they shoulod give Fiona Looney a shot at it , maybe a 2 hour show and see how it goes from there... she any Gerry always seemed to work well togeather , like Laurel and Hardy , always had me laughing ..

whether or not she can pull it off alone , we'll have to see .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Valve wrote: »
    'All criticism shares one characteristic - it is all unwelcome'

If we all threw our problems into a big pile - we'de soon take our own back!

We should never criticize another, until we have walked in their shoes.

The Patience Of Waiting Is Never a Waste Of Time!

A masterclass in cliches right there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

mikemike wrote: »

Driving along , usually I'd stay on 2fm and listen to what Gerry had to say ....

But this morning , I was all over the place ,, couldn't find ANY station that really suited me ,, God I miss him ..

I think they shoulod give Fiona Looney a shot at it , maybe a 2 hour show and see how it goes from there... she any Gerry always seemed to work well togeather , like Laurel and Hardy , always had me laughing ..

Take one from the other and you just have Laurel, or just Hardy. She wouldn't work on her own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Does anybody know if his funeral will be available on podcast tomorrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭FredBloggs

I've heard a few people suggest that in the past few days. not something I'd have thought of but it does seem like a good option. and you could say he handed the baton over to her with her remarks on Colm and Jim Jim the day he died. He'd have loved the inapropriatness of her remarks!

I'm sure it will. You can watch it live via rte website in the morning.

I can't find the link for the webcam on RTE and the webcam in the church won't work for me :( Anyone know how I get the RTE Webcam

• Advertisement

Colm Hayes said this morning, that it was http://www.2fm.ie/gerryryan or http://www.2fm.ie/gerry

Anywho, 2fm website is down at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

http://www.stjohnsclontarf.dublindiocese.ie/webcam is showing the service live... who's presenting on 2fm? Think I can make out Mark Little but who else is there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I don't think Fiona Looney could carry it off. She's OK for the odd one liner but I couldn't take three hours of her. At the risk of being branded sexist, I don't think a female will fit the bill at all.

fatgav wrote: »
    http://www.stjohnsclontarf.dublindiocese.ie/webcam is showing the service live... who's presenting on 2fm? Think I can make out Mark Little but who else is there?

Colm Hayes is one of them. There is also a woman but I didn't get her name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,634 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Who takes over his show now?

Just thought I post this lovely letter which is on the Gerry Ryan page from John Mc Mahon - Head of 2fm

"From everyone at 2fm to every one of our listeners.

We in the RTE radio centre have been immensely moved by the depth, warmth and volume of the tributes that have been paid by you, our loyal listeners in the hours and days since we all learnt of Gerry's death on Friday afternoon.

While we are coming to terms with losing a friend and colleague, we know too that the hundreds of thousands of people for whom The Gerry Ryan Show was a daily fixture, are themselves grieving over the loss of their friend.

The great gift that Gerry Ryan shared with us all was his unique bold style and his unequalled ability to communicate. For more than 22 years you told him and he told them. You took him to your hearts and he repaid that love with some of the funniest, sharpest and warmest radio programmes ever to be broadcast. Anywhere.

He would no doubt have been greatly honoured by the many famous and influential people who have paid tribute to him in recent days, but I believe he would have been even more impressed by the magnitude of the response of his listeners. I know everyone in 2fm has been.

The Ryan Line may now be closed, but be assured that every text to 51552 and every email to grs@rte.ie will be read by his team and passed on to his family. The tributes received so far have been hugely comforting to all of us in 2fm and I know they will be just as important to his family.

For those of us who worked on it, the Gerry Ryan tribute programme on Saturday morning was one of the hardest things we've ever done and also one of the greatest privileges we could have had.

We cannot replace Gerry Ryan. Nor will we try to. But the show must go on. Where it will go and how it will go is a question and answer for another day.

For now we must simply say thank you to Gerry for all the memories. From the Ryan Show team and from everyone in 2fm, thank you for your support. It means more than you know.

From me and them, until then... whenever that may be. Thank you

John McMahon
    Head of 2fm
    2nd May 2010"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Who takes over his show now?

I know this might be a bit off the wall..But what about Derek Davis for a short period? Say a Month... G.R's listeners need to hear a warm comforting voice for a while that will help them get used to not having gerry around anymore....

I would like to see/hear someone like Mark Little trying it out,He does have good reports when he is on Radio 1..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

LoanShark wrote: »
    I know this might be a bit off the wall..But what about Derek Davis for a short period?

Davis would be good, He was great when he stood in for Joe duffy. I think he is sort of semi-retired now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭SilverSparkle

LoanShark wrote: »
    I know this might be a bit off the wall..But what about Derek Davis for a short period? Say a Month... G.R's listeners need to hear a warm comforting voice for a while that will help them get used to not having gerry around anymore....

I would like to see/hear someone like Mark Little trying it out,He does have good reports when he is on Radio 1..

Could be a possibly good idea!.. I like the idea of Mark Little

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Very sad listening to his funeral on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

I never listen to Gerry, but it seems that from reading this thread and the tributes over the last week he had very loyal listeners , maybe they should decide his replacement . Over a month differ people would present the shown and there be a poll.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement