Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gerry Ryan Radio Show Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭SilverSparkle

Very sad listening to his funeral on the radio.

Its terribly sad. I am watching it online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

Bono and the boys doing With Or Without You - There are not many people who would have the biggest band on the planet performing at their funeral - I am sure he would have loved it. The part where his kids were speaking was very sad.

SB-08 wrote: »
    Bono and the boys doing With Or Without You - There are not many people who would have the biggest band on the planet performing at their funeral - I am sure he would have loved it. The part where his kids were speaking was very sad.

Very well.. and they held themselves together.

His brother is a great speaker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Mano is a great speaker. He even sounds a little like Gerry! His children were excellent as well, fair play to them, it had to be tough for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Limerickgal82

His children were very eloquent . fair play to them. i am annoyed his partner was ignored by both Fr. Brian D'Arcy and Gerry's Brother :( It is hard for her as well :(

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Goldenlady

Wow his brother sounds exactly like him, its actually scary.
    Kids did a great job too.
    I agree with the sentiments on his partner being left out, I feel really sorry for her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

The eulogy from his son was lovely but Lottie's was pretty gauche...it was mostly about her dad giving her money! I thought it was in very poor taste. Surely she had other anecdotes and memories about her dad?

Bono's contribution was, predictably, cringeworthy. How on earth did he manage to start singing in at the wrong point in the song?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Will this be on podcast later? Im in work and cant see/watch it.

eth0_ wrote: »
    The eulogy from his son was lovely but Lottie's was pretty gauche...it was mostly about her dad giving her money! I thought it was in very poor taste. Surely she had other anecdotes and memories about her dad?

Bono's contribution was, predictably, cringeworthy. How on earth did he manage to start singing in at the wrong point in the song?

Yeah i thought Bono could have done better. I didnt like how he shortened each line instead of holding on the notes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

His children were very eloquent . fair play to them. i am annoyed his partner was ignored by both Fr. Brian D'Arcy and Gerry's Brother :( It is hard for her as well :(

How do you know she was "ignored"? Are you a friend of the family? Maybe she thought it wouldn't be appropriate, or perhaps she was too upset to consider doing a reading!

A lot of ex-wives revel in excluding the "new woman" from the funeral; it was very kind of Morah Ryan and the kids to invite her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Limerickgal82

If you read it again i meant in their speeches !!! They did not mention or offer her sympathy . His ex wife did. So please Read post's better and do not be so rude

The priest singing at the moment reminds me of the day Gerry sang the weater forecast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Cole

That reference by Morah Ryan to Melanie Verwoerd and her kids was incredibly gracious, a class act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,024 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Is it only me? but Dave Fannings tribute today in the Indo included the line "Gerry could be a b0ll0cks". I know I am taking it out of context from the complete article, but a bit over the top on the day he is getting buried?
    http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/i-know-therell-never-be-another-like-gerry-ryan-2166522.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Cole wrote: »
    That reference by Morah Ryan to Melanie Verwoerd and her kids was incredibly gracious, a class act.

Very much so. Morah is a real lady!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

Godbless Gerry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Is it only me? but Dave Fannings tribute today in the Indo included the line "Gerry could be a b0ll0cks". I know I am taking it out of context from the complete article, but a bit over the top on the day he is getting buried?

I thought that reasonable enough. Nobody is perfect. What I thought was ridiculous was when Fanning said on Tuesday night (ending the show) that if Gerry could say something to his wife it would be this... and then played this song.

Lyrics:
    Dress sexy at my funeral my good wife
    Dress sexy at my funeral my good wife
    For the first time in your life
    Wear your blouse undone to hear
    And your skirt split up to here

What a stupid thing to do. Wonder how Melanie felt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

eth0_ wrote: »

My God - give the girl a break - she wasn't a celebrity! Her dad was and he DIED!

The only reason the mass was broadcast at all is because the public wanted to hear it and the family permitted it.

On the day a 24 year old girl buries her father you come on a public forum and criticise her - shame on you!

Hope you have better eloquence under similar circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

all the best ger

• Advertisement

Very gracious of Morah, what a lovely woman, and fair play to her for holding herseld during the speech, certainly dont think I could have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

Goldenlady wrote: »
    Very gracious of Morah, what a lovely woman, and fair play to her for holding herseld during the speech, certainly dont think I could have

she was brilliant, sounded a very sincere woman. must be tough holding it together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Thought it was a very nice ceremonyand all the speakers did very well.

Nice of Morah to mention Melanie.

Don't know why people here who are going on so much about her. She was not his partner (really stupid word that). She was his girlfriend for the last 18 months who did not even have keys to his house.

Morah shared her life with him for over 30 years and has 5 children with him, no wonder people are focussed more on her.

Anyhow, I will miss Gerry's show terribly, already flicking the dial every morning and can't find anything to replace his show.

Thanks for all the laughs,...RIP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

I thought that reasonable enough. Nobody is perfect. What I thought was ridiculous was when Fanning said on Tuesday night (ending the show) that if Gerry could say something to his wife it would be this... and then played this song.

What a stupid thing to do. Wonder how Melanie felt.

Don't forget Fanning is a good friend of the family. I was listening to the show and heard the song .The song was especially played for Morah,not for us, the mere plebs who are listening and wanting to pass judgement.
    None of know the real story about G.Ryan's private life (though we think we do!) I actually enjoyed the song though Bill Callaghan can sing some miserable songs!

Sundew wrote: »
    Don't forget Fanning is a good friend of the family. I was listening to the show and heard the song .The song was especially played for Morah,not for us, the mere plebs who are listening and wanting to pass judgement.
    well .. in this plebs opinion, it was inappropriate. It was played for Morah, but on the national airwaves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

i missed the very last bit of morah's speech, what did she say about melanie?

• Advertisement

She just passed her and their kids sympathies to Melanie and her kids, very nice of her, and something I'm sure Gerry would have been happy about.
    Its a sad day...... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

What has really annoyed me as a contributor to this thread is the amount of people who are insistant in talking about his "replacement" even during his funeral. Seriously people have you little to be doing. Show some bloody respect:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,024 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Sundew wrote: »
    the mere plebs who are listening and wanting to pass judgement.
    !

Grow up mate.
    Ironically enough, the last time I was referred to as a "pleb" was on a 2FM/Pepsi max trip to Orlando Florida in 1995 With Gerry Ryan and the gang. We were flagging a maxi-cab on our way back from Orlando town centre to the hotel after a group night out this auld American couple got into the front seats of the cab with our group in the back. The bloke said to his wife, "Listen to the bunch of plebs in the back".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

I was reading some of the posts about Dave Fanning calling Gerry a B0ll0cks...and about the song he played on the radio the last night...

Gerry and Dave have a friendship that has lasted for over 30 years..I'm pretty sure that they knew each other inside out, and for Dave to call him a b0ll0cks is more of a friendly way of releasing his frustration over the whole thing...People who listened to Gerry think they knew him...But did they REALLY know him??

The song dave played might have a special connection to Dave,Gerry and Morah..Something that the rest of us mat never know anything about!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

murpho999 wrote: »
    Nice of Morah to mention Melanie.

Don't know why people here who are going on so much about her. She was not his partner (really stupid word that). She was his girlfriend for the last 18 months who did not even have keys to his house.

That's the measure of worth, is it? Whether you have the keys to someone's house or not?

She was the woman he chose to spend the last 18 months of his life with. They each had their own lives, their own kids, and their own homes. Doesn't mean she doesn't deserve to be acknowledged as well.

That's the measure of worth, is it? Whether you have the keys to someone's house or not?

She was the woman he chose to spend the last 18 months of his life with. They each had their own lives, their own kids, and their own homes. Doesn't mean she doesn't deserve to be acknowledged as well.

She was acknowledged by Morah with regards from the kids. End of your arguement as far as I'm concerned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

well .. in this plebs opinion, it was inappropriate. It was played for Morah, but on the national airwaves.

You are a pleb Dave and Morah are quite close. Dave brought groceries to the Ryan family home this weekend. So yeah they are close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Come on guys. Play nice. Attack the post, not the poster. This is just not the place.

RangeR wrote: »
    Come on guys. Play nice. Attack the post, not the poster. This is just not the place.

Dont backseat mod

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

His funeral leads the news bulletin ahead of Greek riots and a UK general election!

Media overkill in fairness!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

Well folks, It seems like they moved the Ryan show from it's original 9 to 12 slot to lunchtime on 2 for the big finale. Lots of talking, informative, problems solved and a bit of music. Just what Gerry would have liked. I missed a lot of it but I must say both his brother Manu and his wife Moira were both excellent speakers. Gerry must have taught them.:-) I suppose the morning papers and nob nation were never going to get a mention but I'm glad Moira shared Gerry's favorite quotes with us. that was class.. I wonder what HAL is doing these days.

His funeral leads the news bulletin ahead of Greek riots and a UK general election!

Sure people on this forum were giving out when news of his death came after said news stories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Do you relly think the Uk Election or the Greek Riots are more newswothy to an Irish audience than G Ryans funeral. If so you are a little out of touch with reality.

The Muppet wrote: »
    Do you relly think the Uk Election or the Greek Riots are more newswothy to an Irish audience than G Ryans funeral. If so you are a little out of touch with reality.

Having watched news bulletins for enough years, reports of funerals of entertainers were usually left to the second half of a bulletin.

I watched a few years ago a recording of an old RTE news bulletin at home from 1984, where Luke Kelly's funeral was I think the second-last item on the bulletin. Proper old news values.

I don't think it is asking much for RTE News not to fall into the celebritydom trap of much media today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

he was listened to by 300,000 people every day.

He touched alot of people

I never tuned in to him much but listening to the mass today had me feeling emotional

So I tried to imagine how a regular listener felt and thought about multiplying by 300,000

=

Alot of grief!

RIP Gerry

Having watched news bulletins for enough years, reports of funerals of entertainers were usually left to the second half of a bulletin.

I watched a few years ago a recording of an old RTE news bulletin at home from 1984, where Luke Kelly's funeral was I think the second-last item on the bulletin. Proper old news values.

I don't think it is asking much for RTE News not to fall into the celebritydom trap of much media today!

Ah give it a break. The Greek problems have been going on for months and will carry on for years. The election can be discussed tomorrow (It's a UK election not Irish).

Everyone I have met this week is talking about Gerry Ryan. He was buried today and it's the last day he will be in the spotlight and therefore RTE are right to put the story first as it captures what everyone else is talking about. Also, Gerry was an RTE employee so they are feeling it too.

rovert wrote: »
    You are a pleb Dave and Morah are quite close. Dave brought groceries to the Ryan family home this weekend. So yeah they are close.
    Well I think I have established for you before that I have no interest in your retarded "opinions".

Knew that was coming. Ultra mega yawn.
    Well I think I have established for you before that I have no interest in your retarded "opinions".

At least my "opinions" are based on facts rather than jumping to conclusions about things/people.

Sorry but you're definitely not in tune with the general public opinion on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Jonathon anon and Rovert banned for 1 week. Anyone else passing personal jibes is also welcome to a ban. Plenty of warnings have been issued about this before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Irish news being priority over international news in Ireland?? No way!:eek:

murpho999 wrote: »
    Ah give it a break. The Greek problems have been going on for months and will carry on for years. The election can be discussed tomorrow (It's a UK election not Irish).

Also, Gerry was an RTE employee so they are feeling it too.

That final sentence is the issue I have though! It almost seems like a cliquey RTE thing by giving it so much prominence. Fine for the more informal shows, but not on the general news!

If another popular DJ from a commercial station died, I think this would have been a fair bit down the list of news items.

Anyway, my opinions are nothing against Ryan himself and I enjoyed hearing some of the anecdotes of recent days

That final sentence is the issue I have though! It almost seems like a cliquey RTE thing by giving it so much prominence. Fine for the more informal shows, but not on the general news!

If another popular DJ from a commercial station died, I think this would have been a fair bit down the list of news items.

Anyway, my opinions are nothing against Ryan himself and I enjoyed hearing some of the anecdotes of recent days

So should RTE ignore public feeling and not give the story the coverage it merits in fear of someone accusing them of being cliquey or should they do their duty as a public service Broadcaster?

Either the story deserves top billing or it doesn't, in this case it definitely does as has been indicated with the public out poring of grief since last weekend , anyone that says differently is blatantly wrong.

There are other Broadcasters ( I won't name them )that would receive the same coverage in similar circumstances, others wouldn't because they would not have the same profile.

• Advertisement

The Muppet wrote: »
    So should RTE ignore public feeling and not give the story the coverage it merits in fear of someone accuses them of being Cliquey or should they do their duty as a public service .

Either the story deserves top billing or it doesn't, in this case it definitely does as was has been indicated with the public out poring of grief since last weekend , anyone thats says differently is blatently wrong..

Call me a traditionalist, and I appreciate Ryan had a loyal listenership, but when crucial Dail votes like last night are given minimal coverage, there is something more rotten at play!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement