Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gerry Ryan Radio Show Thread

1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

That final sentence is the issue I have though! It almost seems like a cliquey RTE thing by giving it so much prominence. Fine for the more informal shows, but not on the general news!

If another popular DJ from a commercial station died, I think this would have been a fair bit down the list of news items.

Anyway, my opinions are nothing against Ryan himself and I enjoyed hearing some of the anecdotes of recent days

Can you name me one presenter from another commercial station who is as famous or would have had as much influence as Gerry's 30 years at RTE?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

murpho999 wrote: »
    Can you name me one presenter from another commercial station who is as famous or would have had as much influence as Gerry's 30 years at RTE?

Dunphy, D'Arcy, Dempsey, Hook, Moncrieff... all household names by now I would think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Call me a traditionalist, and I appreciate Ryan had a loyal listenership, but when crucial Dail votes like last night are given minimal coverage, there is something more rotten at play!

Ok I respect your opinion but I have to say again you are out of touch with public opinion on that, I'll bow out of this discussion now as we are starting to go around in circles.

Dunphy, D'Arcy, Dempsey, Hook, Moncrieff... all household names by now I would think!

This is my last post on this.

Of the people you mention the only one who has their own continuous radio show for more than 10 years is Ian Dempsey.

The rest, are on the air more recently (Dunphy on and off all the time!) and are nowhere near as influential or groundbreaking as Gerry Ryan was. You should remember what was on before his show started in 1988.

Just let Gerry Ryan make the headlines for 5 minutes on one day and normal service will resume tomorrow.
    Plenty of UK election and Greek news on other British channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

This is my last post on this.

Of the people you mention the only one who has their own continuous radio show for more than 10 years is Ian Dempsey.

The rest, are on the air more recently (Dunphy on and off all the time!) and are nowhere near as influental or groundbreaking as Gerry Ryan was. You should remember what was on before his show started in 1988.

Just let Gerry Ryan make the headlines for 5 minutes on one day and normal service will resume tomorrow.
    Plenty of UK election and Greek news on other British channels.

Fair enough. I kind of regret now posting what I did after 6.00 because it genuinely has been a busy few days newswise, both here and abroad.

Normal service should be resumed alright! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

IMHO - Wrong, wrong , wrong, wrong, wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Biffo The Bare

Grow up mate.
    Ironically enough, the last time I was referred to as a "pleb" was on a 2FM/Pepsi max trip to Orlando Florida in 1995 With Gerry Ryan and the gang. We were flagging a maxi-cab on our way back from Orlando town centre to the hotel after a group night out this auld American couple got into the front seats of the cab with our group in the back. The bloke said to his wife, "Listen to the bunch of plebs in the back".
    Thats a great story, I entered that competition as well but didn't win. I remember him doing his morning show from the hotel pool and the link breaking every so often. I was so jealous of you all.:o

Questions for the Mods: Just curious,what are the plans for this thread? Will it be eventually locked? Will there be a Gerry Ryan tribute sticky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Questions for the Mods: Just curious,what are the plans for this thread? Will it be eventually locked? Will there be a Gerry Ryan tribute sticky?

dunno tbh. Original plan was to lock it, but I'm thinking now we could leave it open for anyone who still wants to post - I'd imagine the posts from now will be in two categories; who will take over, and memories. We've a thread for the first and the second should get fewer and fewer as we go on.

thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

tbh wrote: »

thoughts?

Personally I'd go with your first call and lock it in the near future and let new threads be formed for the new topics. I fear this one could turn messy down the road if left open .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

Would anyone know the psalm that Brian D'arcy recited at the end of his eulogy? Thanks.

The Muppet wrote: »
    Personally I'd go with your first call and lock it in the near future and let new threads be formed for the new topics. I fear this one could turn messy down the road if left open .

I agree :)

This thread will be closed on Monday Morning - so if anyone has any final thoughts to share, you've a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭mikemike

Got back into the house at 9.30am , and asked why wasn't the radio tuned into Gerry ? .....

It's gonna take a while to get used to the fact he's gone ..

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭alibaba12

like him or loath him, the fact is he got everyone talking. Not only that he was a dad, brother friend etc and there are 5 kids now growing up w/o him. he was 53 far to young for anyone to die. I personally did like his show it was always on in my house growing up & Id listen at work & have to say, do miss listening to him although I didnt always like what he said, but it wouldnt have been much fun if I did or it wouldnt spark a debate with my folks or such!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I think Monday will be another milestone for 2fm listeners to his show. I thought the whole service yesterday was, as funerals go, the best I ever saw or heard. It was a beautiful celebration of his life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Sorry for double posting but Ryan Tubridy has just announced that Colm Hayes and Lucy Kennedy will fill the slot for the next 4 weeks. Not sure if it's together or maybe spliting it between them..

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭SilverSparkle

bbability wrote: »
    Sorry for double posting but Ryan Tubridy has just announced that Colm Hayes and Lucy Kennedy will fill the slot for the next 4 weeks. Not sure if it's together or maybe spliting it between them..

Here is the story. Read it earlier today... http://www.rte.ie/arts/2010/0507/rte2fm.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Just read through all the posts about Gerry. Like many listeners, I grew up listening to his show on 2fm and really enjoyed it. I emigrated to the states in '88 and moved back 5 yrs ago.

I couldn't believe how unhealthy he had become in that time. I am in the health business and have daily dealings with people battling their weight and all the health issues that are associated with it. He was not that much older than me.
    As we head towards middle age, I think a lot of us have to wake up to the dangers that lurke 'under the hood'. The Irish attitude for years had been along the lines of "sure why would I go to the doctor if I'm not sick".

I recently went for my annual physical (something I started doing 10yrs ago after the birth of my first child) and found out that I have high cholestrol. I am now on medication to bring it down, and as both my brother & sister also have it, will probably be on the meds for the rest of my life. I am very healthy and eat sensibly, but it is hereditary so there ya go.

I know one of the posts on the forum mentioned that "the comments about his unhealthy lifestyle as a contributing factor are annoying, as I never came across any person more meticulous about reforming their health – he was constantly going on about this full medical and that one."

I am not trying in any way to blame Gerry for his death. A lot of people have a hard time battling their weight and he may have been trying very hard to change his life.

I just hope that people who tuned into his show and especially Operation Transformation will use this as a wake up call for themselves and get regular check ups. They can save your life.

R.I.P Gerry

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

The legend will grow thats for sure. Why did he die being the ultimate question. That will be just one of the mysteries. Heres my question: Was he really our friend or was he a clever/accidental mouth piece for the rulers.

You can argue either way. This story about Siobhan Hough and her censure of Oliver Callan has me baffled. Oliver has been pretty rough with Enda Kenny from day one but it was Cowen that ms Hough felt the need to protect. I do wonder just how much neutrality was being practised in that RTE2 studio.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for your contributions. The Ryan Line is now closed. RIP Gerry.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement