Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gerry Ryan Radio Show Thread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

It's not true that if you repeat something a number of times then it automatically becomes true. And now you hint at corruption on his part having a vested interest in the property market!

If you genuinely believe that he is guilty of giving financial advice on the airwaves, and/or corruption, then surely it becomes not only a duty for you, but a pleasure, to make a report to the financial regulator or to the gardaí.

You've made an accusation, but seem to shy away from following it through where you claim there is no doubt that he is in breach of the law or the guidelines. If you are so certain, then are you able to explain why you haven't made a full report to the financial regulator or the gardaí? Could it be that you are not so certain as you pretend? Surely not?

Are you actually insane?
    You want me to go to the gardai because Gerry Ryan is shilling property on his show?
    I would love to actually do that just to hear what the Guard on the desk says to me when i tell him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭Cunsiderthis

Degsy wrote: »
    Are you actually insane?
    You want me to go to the gardai because Gerry Ryan is shilling property on his show?
    I would love to actually do that just to hear what the Guard on the desk says to me when i tell him.

No, I think you'll probably make an ass of yourself, but you seem so convinced that he should not be giving financial advice that you really should make a full report to the office of the financial regulator.

But you won't, because you are not that convinced, and seem to just like making those sort of accusations here where you don't have to back them up.

ho hum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Barname wrote: »
    I checked here

http://registers.financialregulator.ie/

gerry ryan is not registered, he should refrain from 'advising' listeners on financial matters

Please make a complaint to the Financial Regulator if you think his proclamations are untoward.

If you are one of the poor unfortunates who is forced to listen to his show because it's on the radio in work etc, take down dates and times when he makes statements that could be construed as shilling for his mates or offering financial advice, and put it in a letter to the financial regulator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I listened for a bit this morning and tuned out when the "Operation Transformation" Theme came on - it gets too much coverage (I know it's his baby) but enough is enough.

Secondly I think it would be a good idea to bring in a co-presenter for the first 30 minutes of the show - to discuss the papers and other news stories. Preferably somebody who has a totally different outlook to Gerry - maybe somebody who Gerry wouldn't exactly get on with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

deelite wrote: »
    I listened for a bit this morning and tuned out when the "Operation Transformation" Theme came on - it gets too much coverage (I know it's his baby) but enough is enough.

Secondly I think it would be a good idea to bring in a co-presenter for the first 30 minutes of the show - to discuss the papers and other news stories. Preferably somebody who has a totally different outlook to Gerry - maybe somebody who Gerry wouldn't exactly get on with.

In the current climate I can't see RTE paying an extra presenter for that, I don't think it would be of any benefit to the show either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Paddy O'Gorman came to mind, very human and down to earth. In fact, please give the whole show to P.O'Gorman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

This is an interesting item. It's rare to find a priest who actually acts on his beliefs (however absurd). Most engaged couples just nod through the process, I presume, and do exactly what they want to do.

Which is what GR is advising them to do, actually, and I think it's good advice.

Passionate, informed and articulate. If every day was like that, it would be the best show in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Passionate, informed and articulate. If every day was like that, it would be the best show in the country.

whoa there lets not say things we cant take back:pac:

• Advertisement

The Muppet wrote: »
    In the current climate I can't see RTE paying an extra presenter for that, I don't think it would be of any benefit to the show either.

The benefit would be that the ratings might go up a bit more and it's worth a try - if it doesn't work so be it. As for RTE paying for an additional presenter - it could be a "sponsor" type of thingy - e.g. "Paddy O'Gorman knocks Spots of Ryan" sponsored by Clearasil!!!!:D (just a thought)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

The benefit would be that the ratings might go up a bit more and it's worth a try - if it doesn't work so be it. As for RTE paying for an additional presenter - it could be a "sponsor" type of thingy - e.g. "Paddy O'Gorman knocks Spots of Ryan" sponsored by Clearasil!!!!:D (just a thought)

The perfect co-host is right here under our noses, what about Degsy?

Poly wrote: »
    The perfect co-host is right here under our noses, what about Degsy?

Degsy wouldn't be allowed next or near the Ryan Mike for the obvious reason - Degsy is too real. Degsy would tell it how it is that wouldn't go down too well at Ryan Towers.

O christ he is his element teenage girls,discos,bras,no knickers/knickers wrapped around their wrist to show they are available

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭bilko1234

O christ he is his element teenage girls,discos,bras,no knickers/knickers wrapped around their wrist to show they are available
    Remember it's mid term at the moment and all kids are off school.
    I wonder if he's deliberately being pervy.
    And his reminiscences about his sexual expliots with his "beautiful ex-girlfriends" and trying to remove their bras is pathetic.
    Reminis

I hesitate to suggest that you also seem to be in your element listening to the show then rushing here to tell us all how awful it is!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I hesitate to suggest that you also seem to be in your element listening to the show then rushing here to tell us all how awful it is!

at least he's talking about the show :) there's going to be more negative than positive comments here Ct, that's just the way it is. You've made your point, please allow people to express whatever opinions they want.

I think the idea of a co-host is a really good one. What I'd love to see is someone whose attitudes were diametrically opposed to GR's. Ryan is fairly liberal about personal freedoms, very anti-church, etc. How about sticking him with Damien from Liveline? He seems profoundly conservative.

The danger is that Ryan would overwhelm any co-host. He is a big, brawling personality, and you would need someone who could stand up to him.

Maybe Marian Finucane?

Kevin Myers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Podge and Rodge?

I think the idea of a co-host is a really good one. What I'd love to see is someone whose attitudes were diametrically opposed to GR's. Ryan is fairly liberal about personal freedoms, very anti-church, etc. How about sticking him with Damien from Liveline? He seems profoundly conservative.

The danger is that Ryan would overwhelm any co-host. He is a big, brawling personality, and you would need someone who could stand up to him.

Maybe Marian Finucane?

It would not work because when a caller does slip through the net and opposes his point of view he gets into a huff and throws all the toys out of his pram,so i would expect a partnership to last a week

• Advertisement

It would not work because when a caller does slip through the net and opposes his point of view he gets into a huff and throws all the toys out of his pram,so i would expect a partnership to last a week

I know but it would be so much fun - you thought the Sofa War was bad - wait until you get a load of the Mike War. Look at it this way - remember poor Alan Cantwell was on Mid-day as the main co/host - and he went away on holiday and when he came home - his position was gone.

Right then Jerry loaded on Jameson and fine cigars from the night before,co hosted Eamon Ryan from the Greens accompained by roving reporter Jim Corr

5 minute plug for Conrad Gallaghers new restaurant

Why not write to the driector general and ask him if he thinks it appropriate to give this restaurant a 5 minute plug, and further ask him if Mr ryan has or expects to receive freebies at the restaurant?

Or why not keep a diary over a couple of weeks of similar plugs and then collate it all in a letter to the DG and also copy the letter here and the response. That might have more effect than just posting it here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Why not write to the driector general and ask him if he thinks it appropriate to give this restaurant a 5 minute plug, and further ask him if Mr ryan has or expects to receive freebies at the restaurant?

Or why not keep a diary over a couple of weeks of similar plugs and then collate it all in a letter to the DG and also copy the letter here and the response. That might have more effect than just posting it here.

97729975_6b24129899_o.gif

cunsiderthis, sorry dude, but this is your last warning. You've made your point, over and over, and all you're doing now is annoying people. I understand where you're coming from, I really do, but this is getting pointless. IF you keep asking why people are posting here, I'm not going to allow you to post here anymore.

tbh wrote: »
    cunsiderthis, sorry dude, but this is your last warning. You've made your point, over and over, and all you're doing now is annoying people. I understand where you're coming from, I really do, but this is getting pointless. IF you keep asking why people are posting here, I'm not going to allow you to post here anymore.

I'm not asking why anyone is posting here in this post http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64544453&postcount=75.

Sept 23 1989 made an interesting point which is a point which has been made here reasonably frequently in that Mr Ryan plugs and promotes various "friends" enterprises on his show. That seems to me a serious point, and also an interesting one for a forum such as this, to actually find out what the policy of ORETE is towards presenters promoting their friends enterprises, and further to learn if they do it for personal gain.

I may well write the letter to the DG and the head of Radio at ORETE myself, but didn't want to preempt Sept 23 and monopolise his idea if he wanted to do that himself.

you wont close this thread because that what it seems like cause trouble thread closed like the last one

I'm not asking why anyone is posting here in this post http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64544453&postcount=75.

Sept 23 1989 made an interesting point which is a point which has been made here reasonably frequently in that Mr Ryan plugs and promotes various "friends" enterprises on his show. That seems to me a serious point, and also an interesting one for a forum such as this, to actually find out what the policy of ORETE is towards presenters promoting their friends enterprises, and further to learn if they do it for personal gain.

I may well write the letter to the DG and the head of Radio at ORETE myself, but didn't want to preempt Sept 23 and monopolise his idea if he wanted to do that himself.

your call man, I've told you the situation, and how I'm going to resolve it if I have to. It's your move now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Dublin Chick

I love Gerrys morning programme and listen to it every day, I find it interesting, entertaining, informative and easy listening. Although Gerry does make me cringe on occasion in general I thoroughly enjoy the show.

Operation Transformation is fantastic and well done to all who are participating, the FOOL that posted the comment about the 20 st woman only losing 3 lbs is both insensitive and ignorant. Well done on everyones fab efforts and weight loss!

Gerry keep up the good work!!!

• Advertisement

yellow is for calling another poster a fool. play nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Dublin Chick

Oh I see!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

mods crack me up:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

You're obviously backtracking now after TBH's comment. There was a stench of sarcasm to your original post. You would never write a letter to anyone complaining about G Ryan. Youve got a proven track record at this stage.

telekon wrote: »
    You're obviously backtracking now after TBH's comment. There was a stench of sarcasm to your original post. You would never write a letter to anyone complaining about G Ryan. Youve got a proven track record at this stage.

Oh dear. I have already emailed Clare Duignan about the exact issue, the email was sent at Fri, 19 February, 2010 12:26:31 To:Clare.Duignan@rte.ie. Clare Duignan is the managing director for radio in ORETE.

back on topic. ty.

Clare Duignan is the managing director for radio in ORETE.

What is ORETE??!

eth0_ wrote: »
    What is ORETE??!

ORETE is the vernacular, to indicate the way presenters strangle their vowels which turns RTE into ORETE. (I know "R" isn't a vowel but they don;t seem too particular about it).

Mr Ryan, the subject of this thread, is one of the prime proponents of the art of strangling vowels, and for some devotees of his show it gives great merriment to hear him do it.

For instance, he used to talk about his father, except he pronounces "father" as "fore-ther" , and also, from time to time, he talks about a disease called diabetes, and pronounces it "dia-bait-ees".

His show is littered with many such examples and, if you listen for them, it will probably make you laugh out loud when you recognise them.

James Joyce, if her were alive today, may well have written a book about the social pretensions associated with strangling vowels, and it seem that for a certain section of Dublin people, it is thought that to strangle ones vowels makes them sound grander than otherwise think they might consider.

It's poppycock, of course, and it just makes them appear as if they want to appear grander than they might consider, as opposed to actually sound grander. But it's fun to listen out for hence RTE is pronounced ORETE by so many broadcasters in the station.

I hope that explains!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

He also cannot say the word want. It is quite amusing to hear him mispronounce it whenever I have the misfortune of hearing the show.

• Advertisement

Cunsiderthis - it's just the Irish interpretation of received pronunciation. I've never noticed Gerry mangle any words. I mostly notice how he often sounds like he's eating or salivating whilst talking, though.

eth0_ wrote: »
    Cunsiderthis - it's just the Irish interpretation of received pronunciation. I've never noticed Gerry mangle any words. I mostly notice how he often sounds like he's eating or salivating whilst talking, though.

It may be an interpretation, but I don;t know anyone who, for example, thinks the letter "R" is pronounced "ORE", that father should be pronounced "fore-ther" or diabetes "die-a-beit-ees".

It may be an interpretation, but I don;t know anyone who, for example, thinks the letter "R" is pronounced "ORE", that father should be pronounced "fore-ther" or diabetes "die-a-beit-ees".

That's how I pronounce R, and anyone I know! How do you think it should be pronounced? Arr? Like a pirate? :)

That's how I pronounce R, and anyone I know! How do you think it should be pronounced? Arr? Like a pirate? :)

Do you now, or have you ever, worked for ORETE?

Do you pronounce father as "fore-ther" and diabetes as "die-a-bait--ees" too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

tom dunne went on for a bit about that restaurant too on friday. maybe it was a morning dj's night only there?

a friend of mine did some freelancing there. the staff are told to pronounce it AR.T.E. maybe gerry is just trying to piss off whoever he has wrapped around his finger out there by emphasising the OR

No. I just pronounce R as Ore. Like most Irish people I would have thought :confused:

• Advertisement

tom dunne went on for a bit about that restaurant too on friday. maybe it was a morning dj's night only there?

a friend of mine did some freelancing there. the staff are told to pronounce it AR.T.E. maybe gerry is just trying to piss off whoever he has wrapped around his finger out there by emphasising the OR

That encouraging to hear that the staff are told to pronounce it ARTE. The OED's pronunciation guide suggests "r" should be pronounced as in "trois or rouge".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

That encouraging to hear that the staff are told to pronounce it ARTE. The OED's pronunciation guide suggests "r" should be pronounced as in "trois or rouge".

Is it just me or is this ceasing to make any sense at all?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

a friend of mine did some freelancing there. the staff are told to pronounce it AR.T.E.

Sorry for being pedantic, but I think there's a pretty good reason for that. The 'R' in R.T.E is an Irish (Gaelic) 'R' and it's pronounced 'AR'. Similarly, the Irish letter 'A' is pronounced as in the word 'AND', and not as the English letter 'A', which rhymes with 'MAY'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

In Irish it would be 'AR TAY AY FADA. As for the French, the first r is pronounced 'w' and the second r doesn't exist in Irish or English.

lets just say anyone can pronounce it any way they like, and get back on topic :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement