Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gerry Ryan Radio Show Thread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

tbh wrote: »
    lets just say anyone can pronounce it any way they like, and get back on topic :)

I wish they'd axe the Gerry Ryan show and replace it with something more palatable...such as somebody reading the papers whilst eating and talking about masturbating in an oily voice...oh hang on..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,387 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

No. I just pronounce R as Ore. Like most Irish people I would have thought :confused:

Surely only the AA roadwatch girls pronounce R are ORE.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

He says....
    wunt, instead of want
    pay-do-feel, instead of paedofile

He loves playing U fúcking 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭bilko1234

MJ23 wrote: »
    He says....
    wunt, instead of want

And My Fore-Dor instead of me Da....!

Tax avoiders with the connivance of Fianna fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Degsy wrote: »
    Tax avoiders with the connivance of Fianna fail.

off-topic - three day ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jimmyboss

I wish they'd axe the Gerry Ryan show and replace it with something more palatable...such as somebody reading the papers whilst eating and masturbating in an oily voice...oh hang on..
    ....oh hang on indeed......:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 betelgeuse_

It drives me spare when he says "Chicargo". However, I do like the show!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭Cunsiderthis

Yes, I've heard that too - he has lots of strange ways of pronouncing words indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

he says dunkey instead of donkey

• Advertisement

Another 5 minute business plug today

"Jonathans Barber Shop in the Shelbourne Hotel"

where at his 1.30 appointment today Gerard will be having

Wash, cut and blowdry
    €24.00

Shave and Hot towel treatment
    €28.00

Facial treatment
    €25.00

Hot towel treatment
    €12.00

Friction, shampoo, lotion, vibro
    €16.00

Manicure
    €26.00

very reasonably priced as well he says:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Wash, cut and blowdry
    €24.00

€28.00

Facial treatment
    €25.00

Hot towel treatment
    €12.00

€16.00

Manicure
    €26.00

Would it be conjecture to suggest our hero's bill will be even more reasonably priced? :rolleyes:

I did send an email to clare duignan who is head of radio in ORETE about the issue of on air talent promoting businessess, and have not yet received a reply.

Additionally, I asked her if they did so, would it be acceptable for them to receive gifts from those businessess.

If there is no reply today I'll forward the email to gerry ryan and ask him if he gets gifts or discounts from the businessess hementinos on his show, and copy to clare duignan and newstalk too, to see if they might be interested in the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Wash, cut and blowdry
    €24.00

€28.00

Facial treatment
    €25.00

Hot towel treatment
    €12.00

€16.00

Manicure
    €26.00

Any comment on the person who suffered from blackouts he helped or would that type of stuff be too balanced ?

The Muppet wrote: »
    Any comment on the person who suffered from blackouts he helped or would that type of stuff be too balanced ?

Is he curing the sick now? must have missed that have to have a listen back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Jeez I hope not, that could mean he might rise from the dead and our descendants are in enough trouble as it is. Maybe he just suggested the guy pay his ESB bill.

Heart is breakin here.
    I think everyone at this thread should donate a few bob to Gerry to reimburse him the €1000 that he was charged (by Denis Mahoney Garages, Kilbarrack, who done a great job:D) after he had driven into a pothole and damaged the suspension on his Lexus(a beautiful, beautiful car)
    This is about 1 hours pay to Gerry, and he was "very angry" at the thought that he'd have to pay this himself. "Who can I sue, who can I sue...????"
    So if everyone send in a tenner to GR at RTE........

bilko1234 wrote: »
    Heart is breakin here.
    I think everyone at this thread should donate a few bob to Gerry to reimburse him the €1000 that he was charged (by Denis Mahoney Garages, Kilbarrack, who done a great job:D) after he had driven into a pothole and damaged the suspension on his Lexus(a beautiful, beautiful car)
    This is about 1 hours pay to Gerry, and he was "very angry" at the thought that he'd have to pay this himself. "Who can I sue, who can I sue...????"
    So if everyone send in a tenner to GR at RTE........

loike hello this tragedy occurred on Shrewsbury Road... in... in... SOUTH DUBLIN

Gerry & pat Kenny have something in common; They both pronounce Los Angeles as "Los Ange-ell-ayse". The rest of teh world seem to agree "los-ange-ell-eese" is the correct way to pronounce it.

What is it about ORETE on air talent that so many of them mangle the english language with their strange pronouncing of words?

• Advertisement

Gerry & pat Kenny have something in common; They both pronounce Los Angeles as "Los Ange-ell-ayse". The rest of teh world seem to agree "los-ange-ell-eese" is the correct way to pronounce it.

What is it about ORETE on air talent that so many of them mangle the english language with their strange pronouncing of words?

"Los Angeles" isn't English, it's Spanish :)

Ah you're having trouble with old comprehension I see. I never said he cured anyone , I said "helped" which according to the lady in question he did.

How about replying to what I actually said instead of making up stuff that suits your agenda in future.

"Los Angeles" isn't English, it's Spanish :)

English, as a language, is a living language which means it grows and develops all the time. All languages do and "le weekend" is as french as it is english.

If we are to deem that any english word which has its roots, or comes from, another language, to be invalid or not "english" then we have to decide what date we are all starting from to apply this rule!

I think most of us consider "los Angeles" to be part of the english language for a long time now...

English, as a language, is a living language which means it grows and develops all the time. All languages do and "le weekend" is as french as it is english.

If we are to deem that any english word which has its roots, or comes from, another language, to be invalid or not "english" then we have to decide what date we are all starting from to apply this rule!

I think most of us consider "los Angeles" to be part of the english language for a long time now...

It's a place name consisting of two spanish words, It's not english , the english translation is City of Angels.

Having a go at Boards again.......

yeah heard that 3 tons of bile on every page and who is this "alfie byrne road" fella would like to shake his hand:)

• Advertisement

Having a go at Boards again.......

What he say?

What he say?
    He said something about this subject is becoming something of an obsession with him at the moment. How posters on websites like "Boards" can get away with posting "Vitriolic bile" for pages and pages. And he gave an example.
    "Someone will post 'I saw Muhammad Ali on the TV yesterday' and then hundreds of posters wil follow that up with ' I hate that bastard and he's a F..ing c-u-n-t' andI hate all his family etc, etc'
    I think we might be getting a little too close to home for our Ger!
    ps
    The bad language above is a "quote" from his radio show this morning.
    Please don't edit.

FFS..if this isnt off-topic i dont know what is..and i just got banned for mentioning Bono:mad:

FFS..if this isnt off-topic i dont know what is..and i just got banned for mentioning Bono:mad:

you're so hard done by degs :p

He said something about this subject is becoming something of an obsession with him at the moment. How posters on websites like "Boards" can get away with posting "Vitriolic bile" for pages and pages. And he gave an example.
    "Someone will post 'I saw Muhammad Ali on the TV yesterday' and then hundreds of posters wil follow that up with ' I hate that bastard and he's a F..ing c-u-n-t' andI hate all his family etc, etc'
    I think we might be getting a little too close to home for our Ger!
    ps
    The bad language above is a "quote" from his radio show this morning.
    Please don't edit.

Sounds like borderline libel to me..i reckon boards could have a case for telling him to STFU on air about the site.

• Advertisement

you're so hard done by degs :p

This Bono bloke has no idea the amount of trouble he causes for me.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

How hilarious that the person he chose as his metaphorical stand-in is the universally loved Muhammad Ali. It's an interesting glimpse of his self-image.

Sounds like borderline libel to me..i reckon boards could have a case for telling him to STFU on air about the site.

Libel is the written word, and if he said it on air ( as opposed to writing it down) that would be slander

After the earthquake in Chile, its interesting to hear another ORETE-ism which is the newsreader on the News at One areeing with Pat kenny's way of pronouncing Chile as "chill-ay" as opposed to the more usual "chill-eeh".

chill-ay is correct - take it from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

he says dunkey instead of donkey

yeah seems to have a prob with his o and his u.

he always says ' eg ' i wunt one ' dont know where he gets it frum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I haven't listened to GR show for a while - but I tuned in this morning and there seemed to be a debate on how to educate children/adults on healthy eating.

Secondly about 2 years ago I was a regular listener to GRS - I tuned out for a long long time. Anyway during one week Gerry spoke of how he turned on his "Sat Nav" to go to the local chinese takeaway (which was 3 minutes down the road) - he made a comment that for most families having a take-out twice a week was a regular occurence. Then he spoke of his forthcoming holiday to Disney etc., and then there was drinks that evening with his Best Friend, and then he was going to a huge concert and had back-stage passes etc etc. It was just money money money - something a lot of people listening in (like myself) just hadn't got.

Since I've tuned back in - he must have become more aware of how his world is so much different to his listeners and has toned it down. I hope I don't have to tune back out. By the way Gerry if you're reading this can we have some "Ghostly Houses" they're deadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

deelite wrote: »
    and then there was drinks that evening with his Best Friend, and then he was going to a huge concert and had back-stage passes etc etc. It was just money money money - something a lot of people listening in (like myself) just hadn't got.

Since I've tuned back in - he must have become more aware of how his world is so much different to his listeners and has toned it down. I hope I don't have to tune back out. By the way Gerry if you're reading this can we have some "Ghostly Houses" they're deadly.

I'm afraid you'll be tuning out soon enough, he's worse now than he ever was.

Just wait for the his daily updates on his buddy harry crosbie, the fcukin point / o2 and his new poxy bleedin concert hall. I’m sick of hearing about the jaysis thing. (it's been wall to wall coverage on RTE latley btw)

Not to mention all the restaurants he plugs.

I only tune in now and then when I hear he is giving out about boards.ie

I take it law is not your strongest point. :p

The Muppet wrote: »
    I take it law is not your strongest point. :p

Well badmouthing a business on air because it happens not to kowtow to him seems to me a little slanderous if not libelous.

Well badmouthing a business on air because it happens not to kowtow to him seems to me a little slanderous if not libelous.

Which appears to confirm the muppets point about law not being your strong point...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Poly wrote: »
    I'm afraid you'll be tuning out soon enough, he's worse now than he ever was.

Just wait for the his daily updates on his buddy harry crosbie, the fcukin point / o2 and his new poxy bleedin concert hall. I’m sick of hearing about the jaysis thing. (it's been wall to wall coverage on RTE latley btw)

Not to mention all the restaurants he plugs.

I only tune in now and then when I hear he is giving out about boards.ie

Do you know what I'm thinking would be great if GR had to live on the "Jobs Seekers" Allowance for one month - and to stick to it - now that would be worth a radio / tv show tuning in for. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 RobertBaylon

He makes me sick i cant listen to him 2fm is banned off my radio when is on air :eek:

Which appears to confirm the muppets point about law not being your strong point...:rolleyes:

Quite right too..i am no lawyer.
    However i'm a barrister compared to Gerry Ryan's role as a financial advisor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Quite right too..i am no lawyer.
    However i'm a barrister compared to Gerry Ryan's role as a financial advisor.

You really should learn the difference between slander and libel.

Slander is defaming someone in a non recorded/permanent format eg verbal.

Libel is defaming someone in a recorded/permanent format eg newspaper, book, Radio or TV Show, or even a web forum like this.

You have certainly libelled Gerry Ryan several times on Boards, and TBH I find your whole campaign to be quite tiresome.
    Lots, of people enjoy the show. Lots of people don't. I can take or leave it. Enjoy the array of guests he has on and topics covered. Can get annoyed when he goes on about his lifestyle. Never been offended by bad language or topics such as masturbation. It's aimed at an adult audience and show is well known for that. I really can't understand why you don't just stop listening to a show/presenter you hate so much and leave it at that. Really is a very simple solution.

Thanks for the tips on ways of payment for our TV licences Gerry

murpho999 wrote: »
    ... I really can't understand why you don't just stop listening to a show/presenter you hate so much and leave it at that. Really is a very simple solution.

Perhaps because he loves to hate it/him, and in fact gets a lot of pleasure about the whole act of listening to the show he says he hates, presented by the presenter he says he hates, and then coming here to hurl abuse at him and the show.

And there's nothing wrong in doing that. Love hate relationships are as old as the world, and its well understood behaviour in terms of relationships or, for example, in dieting. As is obsessional behaviour, and someone who says they hate a presenter and a prorgamme, but who actually listens to it avidly, seems to betray themselves as , ultimately, our actions speak louder than our words.

language or topics such as masturbation. It's aimed at an adult audience and show is well known for that

So why is it on in the morning when children can listen to it too?
    Maybe its beacuse the presenter is an immature,vulgar man who doesnt know how to deal with "adult" subjects in an adult way,preferring instead to derail conversations with pathetic innendo and puerile sniggering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Maybe its beacuse the presenter is an immature,vulgar man who doesnt know how to deal with "adult" subjects in an adult way,preferring instead to derail conversations with pathetic innendo and puerile sniggering.

Well it's on when most children should be at school. Broadcasters should not have to target children all the time just because children are around. For example Jerremy Kyle (terrible show) is definitely an adult show on in the afternoons. What you are asking for is the forced sanitisation of the airwaves which is not a country I would like to live in. I'm happy that we can choose what we listen to or not. Very simple. Also children hear more bad language on the street/schoolyard and it doesn't really do any harm.

BTW Your comments on Gerry Ryan himself mean that you have just libelled him again.

BTW Your comments on Gerry Ryan himself mean that you have just libelled him again.

he has said nothing that is not true

• Advertisement

It's still something of a mystery why you continue to force yourself to listen to the show. Can it be that your pleasure at expressing your opinions here so forcefully are such that its worth listening to 15 hours a a show and a presenter you claim to dislike so much?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement