Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gerry Ryan Radio Show Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

last warning cunsiderthis - it's becoming obvious you're not responding to mod direction, next time it's a ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

deelite wrote: »
    I haven't listened to GR show for a while - but I tuned in this morning and there seemed to be a debate on how to educate children/adults on healthy eating.

Secondly about 2 years ago I was a regular listener to GRS - I tuned out for a long long time. Anyway during one week Gerry spoke of how he turned on his "Sat Nav" to go to the local chinese takeaway (which was 3 minutes down the road) - he made a comment that for most families having a take-out twice a week was a regular occurence. Then he spoke of his forthcoming holiday to Disney etc., and then there was drinks that evening with his Best Friend, and then he was going to a huge concert and had back-stage passes etc etc. It was just money money money - something a lot of people listening in (like myself) just hadn't got.

Since I've tuned back in - he must have become more aware of how his world is so much different to his listeners and has toned it down. I hope I don't have to tune back out. By the way Gerry if you're reading this can we have some "Ghostly Houses" they're deadly.

You may be unaware that he probably doesn't have to pay for any of that stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭Cunsiderthis

Following similar claims some days ago, I wrote to Clare Duignan, MD of Radio in ORETE on this very point and received the following reply;

Dear Mr. ****,

Thank you for your emails in relation to the Gerry Ryan Show and Gerry’s mentioning of companies and services during the course of his programme.

The Gerry Ryan Show is a daily (Mon – Fri) entertainment show on 2fm which features calls and comment from both presenter and listeners across a wide range of programmes. Over its more than 20 year run, the presenter has made a virtue out of his real life experiences and converses with his listeners about things that happen to him on a daily basis.

It is in this regard that he mentioned both Conrad Gallagher’s restaurant and Jonathan’s Barber shop in recent programmes. To clarify for the avoidance of doubt, in both cases Mr. Ryan paid in full for his meal and his shave / haircut out of his own pocket and in addition has actually paid for a listener to have a shave with his son in the barber shop this very weekend arising out of his mentioning of the barbers.

To answer the more general point, RTÉ has very clear policy and procedures in relation to gifts and promotional work undertaken by our presenters and staff. The full details of our programme guidelines can be found at http://www.rte.ie/about/pdfs/programmeguidelines2008_eng.pdf but to summarise in relation to your specific query I have highlighted the relevant paragraphs below.

Presenters and Gifts
    RTÉ presenters and other production staff must not accept any offers which might compromise RTÉ’s independence and integrity. In particular the acceptance of gifts beyond those of a nominal value is not permitted. Promotional work on behalf of any commercial organisation is not permitted. All requests for speaking engagements, chairing of meetings, etc. must be referred to appropriate managers for approval in advance. Presenters are not permitted to accept offers of the use of cars from suppliers, even if there is no promotional commitment involved. Freelance contractors employed as presenters by RTÉ are obliged to disclose any commercial activity they are involved in which might compromise RTÉ.

Presenters and Commercial Promotions
    RTÉ presenters must not promote in their programmes commercial ventures that they are associated with or that they stand to gain from financially.

Products in Programmes
    Product placement (the placing of branded products in programmes in return for payment) is not permitted under current EU directives. Consideration must also be given to avoiding undue product prominence in programmes. Producers must not accept products for display in programmes at reduced cost or free where editorially unjustified attention is given to the products. Offers of assistance in travel or accommodation can only be considered where acceptance does not damage the editorial independence of the programme. In all cases before accepting any such offers editorial management approval must be sought. This applies equally to in-house production and commissioned production.

I hope this answers your query.
    Thank you for listening and every best wish

Yours Sincerely,

Clare Duignan
    CLARE DUIGNAN
    Managing Director, RTÉ Radio
    RTÉ Radio 1 | RTÉ 2fm | RTÉ lyric fm | RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta | RTÉ Digital

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Did you mention the constant references made about The O2 Areana on the show? Isn't Gerry Ryan on record saying he has never in his life paid to go to a gig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

That email says that he does pay for that stuff. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

deadhead13 wrote: »
    Did you mention the constant references made about The O2 Areana on the show? Isn't Gerry Ryan on record saying he has never in his life paid to go to a gig.

The full text of my mail to Clare Duignan is here, sent on Fri 19th Feb at 12.26; "

To:Clare.Duignan@rte.ie

I wanted to ask a question about the on air talent plugging friends businesess on air, and ask what is the RTE policy on this.

For example, on this mornings Gerry Ryan show, the presenter spent a few minutes telling all the listeners how wonderful Conrad Gallagher's new restaurant is. While Mr Gallagher must have been delighted with the publicity, I would be grateful if you could let me know

1) What is the RTE policy for promoting businessess in this way
    2) What is the RTE policy for presenters receiving runemeration or free products in return for publicising businesess in this way?

Thank you in anticipation "

When I didn't receive a reply, I sent the following additional email on 25/2 at 13.49;

" To: clare duignan <Clare.Duignan@rte.ie>

Please find below an email sent last week regarding on air talent promoting businesses they frequent, to which I have received no reply.

I couldn’t help noticing this morning that Gerry Ryan was, at some length, singing the praises of “Jonathans Barber Shop in the Shelbourne Hotel”, and I wondered whether he does or has received any free gifts, discounts or any benefits in kind from this, or any business, which he promotes in this way.

Additionally, could you let me know what is RTE’s policy on the on air talent promoting businesses like this and what is RTE’s policy on the on air talent receiving benefits in kind for?

Many thanks and I look forward to your reply"

If you have further queries I suggest you might like to email her directly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

The full text of my mail to Clare Duignan is here, sent on Fri 19th Feb at 12.26; "

To:Clare.Duignan@rte.ie

I wanted to ask a question about the on air talent plugging friends businesess on air, and ask what is the RTE policy on this.

For example, on this mornings Gerry Ryan show, the presenter spent a few minutes telling all the listeners how wonderful Conrad Gallagher's new restaurant is. While Mr Gallagher must have been delighted with the publicity, I would be grateful if you could let me know

1) What is the RTE policy for promoting businessess in this way
    2) What is the RTE policy for presenters receiving runemeration or free products in return for publicising businesess in this way?

Thank you in anticipation "

When I didn't receive a reply, I sent the following additional email on 25/2 at 13.49;

" To: clare duignan <Clare.Duignan@rte.ie>

Please find below an email sent last week regarding on air talent promoting businesses they frequent, to which I have received no reply.

I couldn’t help noticing this morning that Gerry Ryan was, at some length, singing the praises of “Jonathans Barber Shop in the Shelbourne Hotel”, and I wondered whether he does or has received any free gifts, discounts or any benefits in kind from this, or any business, which he promotes in this way.

Additionally, could you let me know what is RTE’s policy on the on air talent promoting businesses like this and what is RTE’s policy on the on air talent receiving benefits in kind for?

Many thanks and I look forward to your reply"

If you have further queries I suggest you might like to email her directly.

The constant mentioning of the O2(owned by his "friend" Harry Crosbie),to say nothing off his ability to obtain backstage passes for gigs in said venue might interest them a bit.

Degsy wrote: »
    The constant mentioning of the O2(owned by his "friend" Harry Crosbie),to say nothing off his ability to obtain backstage passes for gigs in said venue might interest them a bit.

Clare.Duignan@rte.ie is her email address if you want to email her directly and I look forward to you posting here her reply to your email about Harry Crosbie and O2

Clare.Duignan@rte.ie is her email address if you want to email her directly and I look forward to you posting here her reply to your email about Harry Crosbie and O2

Thank you and i shall!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Don't forget his other favorites, Dromoland and Fitzpatricks hotels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Probably better off going to the press about this. RTE won't do a thing.

Poly wrote: »
    Don't forget his other favorites, Dromoland and Fitzpatricks hotels.

It used to be the Four Seasons hotel when he was living there...something mustve happened ;)

Degsy wrote: »
    It used to be the Four Seasons hotel when he was living there...something mustve happened ;)

Would he have received his bill ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭bilko1234

Betcha he's goin to have a go at Boards here....!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

direct dig there

is anyone else hearing this??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Yeah, I never listen to his show but I just flicked across it and a couple of phrases caught my ear so I left it on. He's trying to track all you guys down, he's absolutely sure you're all listening !

Be afraid....

what's he saying?

Himself and Mark Little are discussing Boards.ie

Jip wrote: »
    Yeah, I never listen to his show but I just flicked across it and a couple of phrases caught my ear so I left it on. He's trying to track all you guys down, he's absolutely sure you're all listening !

Be afraid....
    Oh yes
    Be VERY afraid.
    I think he's coming to get us.......

• Advertisement

I missed the beginning but it's a discussion on the legalities of posting and saying various things on the internet, who's going to police it and should it be a free for all. What you can do to either get it stopped or find out who posted the offending item, plus there's mention of slander and various things like that, he gave a couple of examples which weren't too far off from what I've seen here, it continues after the news.

And again another shout how to all the twitter, boards, facebook etc users.

He is now questioning the moderation standards

Ha Ha, why did he have to use a 14 year old giving blow jobs as an example :D

seems to me like they are holding boards up as an example of how it should be done :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

As curious as I am, I cannot bring myself to listen.

Hi there Gerry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

to be honest with you i don't think gerry ryan would give two flying f&cks whats said about him on boards.ie,

at the end of the day he's the one laughing all the way to the bank

Seagull27 better watch out, Gerry is trying to find out how to identify the people behind the user names whose posts he doesn't like.

deadhead13 wrote: »
    Seagull27 better watch out, Gerry is trying to find out how to identify the people behind the user names whose posts he doesn't like.

He's a <snip>.he was offered plenty of chances to talk to the owners of this site and various moderators in the past and he wouldnt take them up on it.
    Th

see ya in three degs.

• Advertisement

It sounds like he's going to start making representations to Daragh Doyle of Board.ie if this mornings patter was anything to go by.
    He said for years, Facebook wouldn't listen to him or return his mails/calls, when all of a sudden they saw "reason".
    I think he's going to make sure that Boards sees "reason".
    Stand firm people, stand firm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Seems some very mixed messages tbh.
    Ryan knows how to email boards.ie if he wanted.
    And realy Darragh is the communications manager not community manager.

something like this:

"Dear Boards community manager.
    I’d really appreciate it if you deleted all the negative comments about my mediocre, self indulgent , smutty radio show, (9-12 2FM).
    Only positive comments about me, my friends and my tv appearances from now on please.
    Thanks a mil.
    G.Ryan."

this morning he said that he expected a site to remove hateful statements once they were given notice of them. If he can find a post in this forum where that didn't happen, I'll sign over my gaff to the man :)

The whole interview was a mess. Mark Little obviously knew what he was talking about but Gerry kept cutting accross him, heading off on different tangents - repeatedly contradicting himself. Any listener who knew nothing about boards.ie, Facebook, twitter and bebo would be none the wiser after listening to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Am I correct in saying that Mark Little has "left" (as in not really left, just taken a bit of a jolly from work with the guarantee of going back) RTE to setup/investigate a project on digital journalism.So he should know a bit about it.

Also, could he not take Gerry with him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

He is being very thin-skinned about criticism, if he is talking about himself.

However, there were quite a few nasty comments about one of his daughters in another thread. That would get most fathers into a temper, and most of them would rage about it to whoever was listening rather than necessarily follow the correct protocol of complaint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Am I correct in saying that Mark Little has "left" (as in not really left, just taken a bit of a jolly from work with the guarantee of going back) RTE to setup/investigate a project on digital journalism.So he should know a bit about it.
    Correct. He has taken a year out to pursue a digital media project iirc.

However, there were quite a few nasty comments about one of his daughters in another thread. That would get most fathers into a temper, and most of them would rage about it to whoever was listening rather than necessarily follow the correct protocol of complaint.

I myself have a little girl and would not be please at all if I felt someone was being disrespectful to her (thats putting my reaction mildly as this is a permanent form of record).
    However, if I was promoting her at every turn, and preparing her for a life as a "Z-lister", or whatever the phrase is, Yes, I would be upset, but not surprised.

I started that thread in the TV forum in a bid to avoid the nasty comments, but it didn't quite work out that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭barakus

Its fairly obvious that he's still got a bee in his bonnet about the 'Gerry Ryan is a wnaker' group that used to be on facebook, thats why this topic seems to be getting brought up all the time. He is using the anti Jedward groups to prove the point of lack of moderation on FB though.
    Its not as if anyone could be 'bullied' on boards unless they are in the public eye either so Id say hes had a good old read of the GR threads on here!!
    Watch out Degsy he'll have you arrested if yer not careful:D

• Advertisement

This morning I caughe the first few minutes of the show. I normally dislike the first 20 mins where he talks, almost without drawing breath, about the papers and gives his opinions on all sorts of stories. It's a boring part of his show and, to have it at the top of the show seems foolhardy as it's more or less guaranteed to get listeners, like me, reaching for the off button.

This morning, before i could get to the off button, he talked about a paedophile and has changed the way he says it from his previous "pay-dough-feel" to the more usual "pee-dough-file". He was also talking about his father and didn't pronounce it as he used to "fore-ther", but the more usual "far-ther".

Can it be that he is reading boards and correcting the stranguled vowels and unusual way he used to pronounce so many words?

I do hope not, as spotting the bizarre way he used to pronounce his words
    was was such a good game to play in the past!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

listen out for the 'wunt' instead of want then you'll know.

anyhoo, i think the show is getting boring, i mean a woman on about trying to get her child to sleep. i know its important to her blah de blah, but c'mon there seems to be alot of broing topics in recent years. yawn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

The stuff about abortion and brain training today was interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Gigiwagga

I'm about the same age as Gerry Ryan, I've not had as much success in my life as he has nor have I had as many large scale failures, I suppose because he's in the public eye he can be as opinionated as he likes, and he is just that. Problem for him is that his many attempts at transition to the little screen have been uncomfortable failures for him, time and time again. He just doesn't work on the telly, and he knows that. It must upset him and cause him some dark feelings. Which leaves him back on the radio. Where over the last decade he's become something of a 'Glenn Beck of RTE'. His conservative, pro-american war mongering has actually been disturbing. He's a one track man, like his counterpart Joe Duffy. And I can no longer listen to his voice nor look at his petulant face. That fat show on the telly is about as bizarre as it gets particularly when it is clear that he is more overweight than most of the contestants. If he had the balls he would fully participate and loose the pounds himself.
    He's Irelands answer to Disneyland in human form, but without the fun roides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

He just doesn't work on the telly, and he knows that.

The man's ego is so large that he cannot take the hint about his TV career. I'm sure he blames his TV failures on everyone but himself.

Anyone who saw Tubridy interview him on the Late Late recently would agree that this man thinks it's his god-given right to be on prime-time TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 postman prat

I feel a bit lonely here in that while I wouldn't be keen on GR himself I love the show with the chats with Fiona Looney being my favourite item.

I feel a bit lonely here in that while I wouldn't be keen on GR himself I love the show with the chats with Fiona Looney being my favourite item.

Sorry, but I can't take to that "ladyee" at all...it's always the same jokes, same mentions of male and/or female genitals, and of course, to top it off, the rip off of the fast show "verry verry drunk". I wonder if its a prerecorded section that they play on repeat every 3 weeks or so...nobody would notice really.

Sorry, but I can't take to that "ladyee" at all...it's always the same jokes, same mentions of male and/or female genitals, and of course, to top it off, the rip off of the fast show "verry verry drunk". I wonder if its a prerecorded section that they play on repeat every 3 weeks or so...nobody would notice really.

Wow, is she still on the GR show? I remember her, when she was living in London, doing an article on the show of some exhibition or other in London and as she described the show, she was reading, word for word, the same article I was reading in the Times. I thought it was very dishonest for a journalist to use another journalists work like that.

Right I'm going to tune in tomorrow morning - and listen very carefully (hopefully it will be about ghosts or something interesting) I read recently in the papers that he's holding out for his own chat show on RTE 1 on a Saturday night. I thought, in all honestly he did well the night he took over from Mr. Kenny on the Late Late.

The one thing that I'm slightly confused at (and this is not just directed at GR) is why have certain presenters got a "hold" over RTE - (apart from advertising revenue). If their contracts were not renewed where would they go to?

deelite wrote: »
    The one thing that I'm slightly confused at (and this is not just directed at GR) is why have certain presenters got a "hold" over RTE - (apart from advertising revenue). If their contracts were not renewed where would they go to?

Certainly not to a private station,as they would require someone with talent.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement