Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gerry Ryan Radio Show Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭Cunsiderthis

Poly wrote: »
    Certainly not to a private station,as they would require someone with talent.

While you may think Mr Ryan untalented, there are 300 000 listeners to his who who appear to disagree. Perhaps you make the mistake of thinking your opinion is bound to be universal and shared by everyone else, but the 300 000 listeners to his radio show appear to highlight the contradiction with that view.

The reason RTE pays its talent so well was discussed in another thread, and it's all to do with the political game of keeping the licence fee all to themselves.

Why would any of the on air talent which is so generously paid want to defect and go elsewhere when no one else can pay them anything like the same money, ( due to RTE's cofferes being filled with the licence fee every year), and when they actually do so little work for the money ( it's estimated Maricn Finucane broadcasts, for example, 140 hours per year in return for +-€430 000 per year).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

While you may think Mr Ryan untalented, there are 300 000 listeners to his who who appear to disagree. Perhaps you make the mistake of thinking your opinion is bound to be universal and shared by everyone else, but the 300 000 listeners to his radio show appear to highlight the contradiction with that view.

The reason RTE pays its talent so well was discussed in another thread, and it's all to do with the political game of keeping the licence fee all to themselves.

Why would any of the on air talent which is so generously paid want to defect and go elsewhere when no one else can pay them anything like the same money, ( due to RTE's cofferes being filled with the licence fee every year), and when they actually do so little work for the money ( it's estimated Maricn Finucane broadcasts, for example, 140 hours per year in return for +-€430 000 per year).

the question is, are those people listening because it's G ryan, or because it's 2fm? what are the figures like when Ryaner isn't around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Perhaps you make the mistake of thinking your opinion is bound to be universal and shared by everyone else, but the 300 000 listeners to his radio show appear to highlight the contradiction with that view.

My opinion is also based on Family, friends, work colleagues and I would say the majority of boardsies.
    I don’t know anyone who listens to the tripe. I only tune in to hear him gripe about boards.ie
    As was discussed here before, I really question how the listenership figures are arrived at. ( and TV figures too)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

He just had a lady on talking about genealogy when the interview was over he lowers his voice and says she has a lovely voice

then he says to her would you mind saying

"would you like to come for a walk with me?"

awkward silence,mortified lady says its daytime radio and says something else to try and change the subject

absolute p**v**t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

He just had a lady on talking about genealogy when the interview was over he lowers his voice and says she has a lovely voice

then he says to her would you mind saying

"would you like to come for a walk with me?"

awkward silence,mortified lady says its daytime radio and says something else to try and change the subject

absolute p**v**t
    That was very strange, she seemed very confused by the way the conversation was about to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

he thinks laydeeees love his voice.
    well ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

bilko1234 wrote: »
    It sounds like he's going to start making representations to Daragh Doyle of Board.ie if this mornings patter was anything to go by.
    He said for years, Facebook wouldn't listen to him or return his mails/calls, when all of a sudden they saw "reason".
    I think he's going to make sure that Boards sees "reason".
    Stand firm people, stand firm.

He pestered facebook to take down the group about him and now he has boards in his sights for criticism of his show and presenting style.
    He wants a blanket ban on criticism of himself,a concept completely at odds with a democratic society.

My opinion is also based on Family, friends, work colleagues and I would say the majority of boardsies.
    I don’t know anyone who listens to the tripe. I only tune in to hear him gripe about boards.ie
    As was discussed here before, I really question how the listenership figures are arrived at. ( and TV figures too)

Your opinion is your opinion and can be based on whatever you choose to base it on. However, to claim you know what most people on boards think on any subject seems to question your judgement.

You are also free to question where the listenership figures come from too. Where have you questioned them and what was the answer to your questions? Or by question, do you mean you don't want to believe them and haven't questioned anyone?

While it may not flatter your case that 300 000 people do listen to his show, that's a fact. I am astonished anyone listens to many tv shows, which are so dreadful that they embarass me out of the room, but that doesn't lead me to think that no one watches the programme.
    tbh wrote: »
    the question is, are those people listening because it's G ryan, or because it's 2fm? what are the figures like when Ryaner isn't around?

I really have no idea, but there are plenty of radio stations for each of them to listen to and now one is forced to listen to someone on the radio when they have a show they prefer on another channel.

In any case, he achieves a listenership of 300 000, and that's enough for ORETE to keep him on air. I'm not sure the if-there-was-someone-else-in-place-of-him is an argument often used for tv or radio presenters who achieve decent audiences. Certainly its an argument I haven't heard before, and obviously a question which is rhetorical.

Degsy wrote: »
    now he has boards in his sights for criticism of his show and presenting style.

he doesn't degsy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

My god he's singing on The Mooney Show now..

My god he's singing on The Mooney Show now..

I hope he sings on telly some day.....

While it may not flatter your case that 300 000 people do listen to his show, that's a fact.

That's not a fact, that's a very rough estimate. How can you tell that 300,000 were listening today or any other day for that matter?

That's not a fact, that's a very rough estimate. How can you tell that 300,000 were listening today or any other day for that matter?

I was wondering that..how do they know exactly who has listening to what on a given day?
    Its probably more accurate to say that 300,000 people are available to listen to the show..either from being unemployed or disabled or whatever.
    I

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

He pestered facebook to take down the group about him and now he has boards in his sights for criticism of his show and presenting style.
    He wants a blanket ban on criticism of himself,a concept completely at odds with a democratic society.

This is complete and utter rubbish.

Lots of people on here misquoting his interview with Mark Little the other day.

In no way did he target Boards. He mentioned boards along with Facebook and Bebo etc as forums where people could be defamed or untruths spoken and what the legal ramifications are.

At no point did he mention this thread or say anything about stopping criticism of this show. So to say that he has board's his sights is a complete twisting of his words. He did speak about one of the directors of boards (sorry I can't remember the name) and he was very complimentary.

To say that Gerry Ryan, who is only a Radio presenter, is a threat to our democracy is complete and utter sensationalism. I actually find your campaign to have the show taken off the air to be more anti-democratic as you are not respecting other peoples' wishes to listen to the show if they want.

Also, how do you know that Gerry Ryan pestered Facebook to take down the group page about him? Do you have any proof of this?
    That group was highly defamatory and libellous and I'm sure it received plenty of complaints and was bound to be taken down by Facebook. Also title contained bad language which you always find highly offensive on the Gerry Ryan show so I'm sure you would agree with it's removal from Facebook.

I was wondering that..how do they know exactly who has listening to what on a given day?
    Its probably more accurate to say that 300,000 people are available to listen to the show..either from being unemployed or disabled or whatever.
    I

More crap.

So now you are saying that only unemployed/disabled people can listen to him?

I am in full time employment and listen to him everyday as I drive a lot with my work.
    Lots of offices and shops etc have radio's on.
    People have holidays, and also work shifts etc.

Disabled people are also part of the workforce and being disabled does not make you automatically unemployed.
    We have a population of 4 million, do you think they all work 9-5 everyday, and only unemployed/disabled people would be able to listen to him. Totally ridiculous.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    More crap.

So now you are saying that only unemployed/disabled people can listen to him?

I am in full time employment and listen to him everyday as I drive a lot with my work.
    Lots of offices and shops etc have radio's on.
    People have holidays, and also work shifts etc.

I don't think he was questioning the demograph of listeners,I think he was questioning, like I was, how 300,000 listenership figure is verified.

This is complete and utter rubbish.

Lots of people on here misquoting his interview with Mark Little the other day.

In no way did he target Boards. He mentioned boards along with Facebook and Bebo etc as forums where people could be defamed or untruths spoken and what the legal ramifications are.

At no point did he mention this thread or say anything about stopping criticism of this show. So to say that he has board's his sights is a complete twisting of his words. He did speak about one of the directors of boards (sorry I can't remember the name) and he was very complimentary.

To say that Gerry Ryan, who is only a Radio presenter, is a threat to our democracy is complete and utter sensationalism. I actually find your campaign to have the show taken off the air to be more anti-democratic as you are not respecting other peoples' wishes to listen to the show if they want.

Also, how do you know that Gerry Ryan pestered Facebook to take down the group page about him? Do you have any proof of this?
    That group was highly defamatory and libellous and I'm sure it received plenty of complaints and was bound to be taken down by Facebook. Also title contained bad language which you always find highly offensive on the Gerry Ryan show so I'm sure you would agree with it's removal from Facebook.

Now as ye all know, I'm no G. Ryan fan, but the above post is factual and accurate. as I've said before, my impression of what he was saying was that boards was an example of the right way to do things. I was actually surprised, as going from this thread I thought he was out and out attacking boards by name. He wasn't doing anything like that, imo.
    I don't think he was questioning the demograph of listeners,I think he was questioning, like I was, how 300,000 listenership figure is verified.

I used to share a house with a guy who worked for the company who calculated listener figures. There was a sample of people who would fill in listening logs, and from those numbers, the total across the country would be extrapolated. In his opinion, the *actual* numbers listening were usually *higher* than the published figures. Go figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭bilko1234

He was saying Boards is the right way to do things???
    Ehm, I don’t think so.
    “These fellas go by names like Seagull27 as they sit in their bedrooms typing their hateful spite”
    and
    “Will it be possible to track these guys down and find their identities”
    Doesn’t sound like he’s exactly showering us with plaudits.

He was saying Boards is the right way to do things???
    Ehm, I don’t think so.
    “These fellas go by names like Seagull27 as they sit in their bedrooms typing their hateful spite”
    and
    “Will it be possible to track these guys down and find their identities”
    Doesn’t sound like he’s exactly showering us with plaudits.

no, but he did say that the proper way to do things is to have the ability to report posts and get them removed. Given as we provide him that ability, I just assumed he has no problem with us. If he wants more than that, that's his problem :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

The formula is from a sample survey. At each time slot you fill in what station you listened to, then the actual listenership is calculated as follows (approx):

"Listeners to station/sample size *100" is the Listened to figure. So for G.Ryan it must go something like this
    1,000,000 / 300 *100 = 330,000 approx.
    So its not an exact science.

Listeners to station is a figure of who had an "opportunity" to listen to that station, regardless of if it is 1 minute or 1 hour.

Hope that helps!

• Advertisement

He certainly was not praising boards,either its posters or moderators,the anger in his voice said it all

He certainly was not praising boards,either its posters or moderators,the anger in his voice said it all

I heard him ranting that a typical boards post was "Who gives a shiit about jamie bolger,i'd rape him myself".

Yeah,nice one....cept for the kid wasnt actually raped.

I heard him ranting that a typical boards post was "Who gives a shiit about jamie bolger,i'd rape him myself".

Yeah,nice one....cept for the kid wasnt actually raped.

...and that's not what he said, or even him who said it. It was Mark Little who said that, he never mentioned boards, and he was using it as an example of an extreme to demonstrate the good and bad of web sites.

...and that's not what he said, or even him who said it. It was Mark Little who said that, he never mentioned boards, and he was using it as an example of an extreme to demonstrate the good and bad of web sites.

No.it was gerry who said it..somebody texted me at home to say he's quoted me on his show and i was actually listening to it when he said it.
    He never mentioned board.ie but he repeatedly mentioned "the boards".

No.it was gerry who said it..somebody texted me at home to say he's quoted me on his show and i was actually listening to it when he said it.

in fairness, I can't remember 100% so...lets just say it wasn't as good as I remember it or as bad as you remember it :)

in fairness, I can't remember 100% so...lets just say it wasn't as good as I remember it or as bad as you remember it :)

It was deffo Gerry,teebs..his voice rose to a shrill screech of self-righteous indignation when he uttered it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

A podcast of the interview is still up on the 2fm website - http://www.rte.ie/old2fm/podcast/podcast_gerryryan.xml . I really couldn't be bothered listening to it again because I thought it was pure shite. But from what I remember he did ask how you can find out who a fictitious boards poster, seagull27, was. And he brought Mark Little back to this question a couple of times.

It was deffo Gerry,teebs..his voice rose to a shrill screech of self-righteous indignation when he uttered it!

Ok, I just listened to the podcasts in completion and I can confirm that it was Gerry who said it, but he was not offering his own opinion, but parapharasing what he had read on a forum whilst seeking information about the re-arrest of Jon Venables last week. He did not say at any stage that he had read it on Boards.

He also did refer earlier to boards.ie and never said 'the boards'....another mistruth.

How Degsy, can try and make out that Gerry Ryan was offering his own opinion is beyond me. (your comment earlier about Bulger not being raped).

There was definitely, at no stage during the piece an attack on Boards or criticism of Boards in general or any mention of this thread.

Because of that I find any insinuations made here that there was any opinions about Boards proffered by Gerry Ryan to be totally unfounded and are generally being made by 'haters' that were referred to in the piece by Mark Little.

Just to clarify, I am not a huge Gerry Ryan fan myself. I can take or leave his show, have it on the car most days,enjoy it in some parts, e.g. his interview with Mark Little but he can annoy me with his lifestyle stories and sometimes comes across as being full of his own self importance.

I do believe there are lot of criticisms of the show that can be made,however I do also strongly believe that any criticisms should be fair and based on actual facts and when I see mistruths being made, like there have about the Mark Little interview then I feel I have to defend it.

How Degsy, can try and make out that Gerry Ryan was offering his own opinion is beyond me

Very true..we all know that Gerry never profers opinions on anything.

Very true..we all know that Gerry never profers opinions on anything.

That is not an answer. He does offer his opinion on lots of items on the show, but in this case I think you should just admit that you were wrong and inaccurate and stop deflecting with irrelevant comments.

• Advertisement

That is not an answer. He does offer his opinion on lots of items on the show, but in this case I think you should just admit that you were wrong and inaccurate and stop deflecting with irrelevant comments.

So maybe you can show me the thread he actually quited from?
    Its my assertation that he made the quote up.

So maybe you can show me the thread he actually quited from?
    Its my assertation that he made the quote up.

How can I know where he read it?
    I don't know if it's a direct quote or if he's changed it a bit but so what if he has? He's showing how extreme comments can get on forums and don't see what your problem is, and also find you are trying to change the subject.

You were accusing him of attacking boards and you have completely ignored it. Typical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

He's gone directly from pedophile priests to an item fawning over Michael Jackson. :rolleyes:

He's gone directly from pedophile priests to an item fawning over Michael Jackson. :rolleyes:

I just dont think the man is very intelligent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Ha Ha Degsy looking for his 15 seconds of fame, keep going he might satisfy you one day. This friend of yours that texted you, do they contribute to this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

this thread is getting ZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

really the problem is'nt Gerry, its his employers. n'est pas ?

this thread is getting ZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

really the problem is'nt Gerry, its his employers. n'est pas ?

Are you trying to give Degsy a heart attack suggesting that Mr Ryan isn't completely and utterly responsible for everything bad that's happened in western Europe since 1982? :D

Are you trying to give Degsy a heart attack suggesting that Mr Ryan isn't completely and utterly responsible for everything bad that's happened in western Europe since 1982? :D

Welll he hinted on the Late late that he was responsible for the holocost!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Derryleigh

They should bring back the oul fellas in the pub sketch. Its a rip off of a typical Tuesday evening in my little local..........when it was open.

• Advertisement

According to one of the papers he has been given his own Saturday night chat show:eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

I dislike him and his radio show so much that I tuned 2fm out of every radio I own in case I accidentally click it on.

Thants funny and I dislike him as much.

He lived in Shankill years ago when he didnt have an arse in his trousers but always mentions Clontarf these days.

He just takes so long to pick his big woooords. Cant listen to his bullology.

House wifes would love to share his bank account and listen out for the opportunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

I think I have discovered the real reason Gerry had Mark Little in to have an chat about facebook and twitter. The old "Gerry Ryan is a complete ******" facebook group has been replace by the "Gerry Ryan is a complete and utter ****** facebook group. It seems to have been up and running for a while now.

I wonder will we hear a free plug for Mr Crosbies new theatre which i think is opening today

I wonder will we hear a free plug for Mr Crosbies new theatre which i think is opening today

RTE have been pluggin it constantly for the last two months, TV and radio.
    It's sickening. It's a only a concert hall FFS. Cathal Goan should be called in to answer questions over this.

Going by his previous form i think he will give it a fifteen minute segment all of its own with an interview with Crosbie thrown in for good measure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

in all fairness lads if any of us had the opportunity to get some freebies, we would and we do
    if we could help our childrens careers in any way we could, we would and we do
    if were able to promote our friends and their businesses, we would and we do
    i listen to the show most days (some days i enjoy it some days i dont) and by the looks of it most of the haters listen too.
    in all fairness the thread has become bitter and twisted and nothing to do with the show itself its just a personal attack on gerry, and lads, this has become very very boring
    there are far worse dj`s in the country that could be highlighted but the personal jibes are a very poor way to put across an argument

i am not affiliated to rte or gerry ryan or anyone else before i`m hit with a barrage of abuse , i just believe in fair play at the end of the day

I know this is difficult to believe folks, but he has a woman on who is an expert on Highly Sexual Women and guess what????
    Gerry knows LOADS MORE ABOUT IT THAN SHE DOES!!!!!!!
    The conversation is about 75% him and 25% the expert.
    She also seems a little bit uncomfortable to be in the same room as him.:D

She also seems a little bit uncomfortable to be in the same room as him.:D

she sounds a little scared:D

worded wrote: »

He lived in Shankill years ago when he didnt have an arse in his trousers but always mentions Clontarf these days.

"Lived in Shankill"???
    Don't think so.
    And "Didn't have an arse in his trousers"???
    Definitely never the case.
    He constantly brags about his "Fore-Dor" being the richest man in Clontarf and telling him constantly that "Life is all about money".
    This man would never have let GR's trousers go arseless.:p

dolittle wrote: »
    in all fairness lads if any of us had the opportunity to get some freebies, we would and we do
    if we could help our childrens careers in any way we could, we would and we do
    if were able to promote our friends and their businesses, we would and we do
    i listen to the show most days (some days i enjoy it some days i dont) and by the looks of it most of the haters listen too.
    in all fairness the thread has become bitter and twisted and nothing to do with the show itself its just a personal attack on gerry, and lads, this has become very very boring
    there are far worse dj`s in the country that could be highlighted but the personal jibes are a very poor way to put across an argument

i am not affiliated to rte or gerry ryan or anyone else before i`m hit with a barrage of abuse , i just believe in fair play at the end of the day

I agree that i also believe in fair play, although its obvious some posters here don't and prefer instead to leap on any fault or perceived fault and ignore any qualities. There are 300 000 people who listen to his show, and no matter what fault anyone here finds, thats the only argument which counts as to his popularity.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement