Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gerry Ryan Radio Show Thread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

If this is too sudden mods please delete but this is the radio forum so a really interesting section is who will take his slot.

fair question Rovert, but we might leave that till Tuesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

tbh wrote: »
    wasn't mentioned at all on RTE news...

It's just being covered right now on News Review on Phantom 105.2

R.I.P. Gerry Ryan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

So, this is the only warning.

ANYONE using this thread to slag the guy off will be banned from the forum.

if you want to post a respectful post here, do it. If you don't, don't post anything.

Read this carefully:

ANYBODY POSTING REMARKS IN BAD TASTE WILL BE BANNED. BB and I will decided what "bad taste" is. If you're not sure, don't post.

Please do not take issue with anyone elses posts in this thread. If you have a problem with a post, just report it.

thank you everyone for your co-operation so far, it's much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Shocking News

R.I.P

G Ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭wanrek

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

He was entertaining and I enjoyed listening to him for years.

He will be missed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

I guess RTE are waiting to contact every member of his immediate family before releasing a massive statement about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

RIP Gerry

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭magotch07

rip gerry :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0430/breaking48.html

Posted this already, I wasn't a fan by any stretch of the imagination, but RIP.

• Advertisement

rovert wrote: »
    I guess RTE are waiting to contact every member of his immediate family before releasing a massive statement about him.

That seems to be what's happening alright. He has a daughter in New York who they are trying to contact. Apparently, the broadcaster is preparing an official statement and they don't plan on making any announcement until 5pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

rovert wrote: »

Apparently one family member is currently in USA. Nice one mr. ambulance driver. Not the way I'd want to find out about a loved one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Just announced now on Nuacht on 2FM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Ruby-J

2fm have just announced it. the news broadcaster sounded as she was going to cry her eyes out :(

Poor Gerry and his family.

What a legend. Rest in peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

wow wasnt expecting that, RIP

will always be remembered...... legend....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Was also announced on the Mooney show after the Nuacht .
    I just heard by text about 10 mins ago and like somebodyelse i thought it was a joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 postman prat

Didn't like him on TV but as a postman on delivery listening to him for the last 20 odd years it is like losing a friend.Many mornings I would say to myself I'm not listening to him again but at 9 o clock I would relent.RIP Gerry and sympathies to his family who he loved dearly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

There are 2500 people on After Hours....

I just went for an hours lie down and listen to Mark Kermode on BBC 5live and this happens! Shocked tbh.

I won't miss him for a moment but that strange small hothouse called Irish public life certainly will and I send my condolences to his family and the team he worked with day in and day out for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭fluke

RIP Ger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭cc

used to love listening to his show on the school hols during the 90's...RIP Gerry

I stand corrected. I guess they got in touch with his family members abroad. http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0430/ryang.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I cant believe the news. I know him to see since I was a child. His father was our family dentist.

May he rest in peace..:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Gerry’s style/ sense of humour/ whatever would never have gone down well with the majority of the Boards.ie users demographic (including myself), but he definitely had a connection with the wider community, parents, people concerned with law and order etc.

All the flash stuff about restaurants and the O2 etc was only banter really, he had very relevant insights on a lot of issues.

RIP GRyan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Folks nobody minds anyone leaving wishes or comments but please leave the "who will be filling his slot" comments for another day.

tribute show about to begin on RTE 1 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭O.P.H

This is so awful. Its kinda hard to process it properly. I've been listenen to Gerry all my life, in my 20's now and expected to be listenen to him for at least another 20 to 30 years. He was our generations Gay Byrne. Gonna miss those mornings where ya dont bother with work or your sick and ya end up listenen to him while your liying in bed or just cleaning the house or drivin into to town. Nobody can replace him he was one of a kind. Cant imagine what the family is goin through. RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Joe Duffy's in bits on Drivetime (it must have started early)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Joe Duffy is crying on air. Gosh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Joe Duffy sounds very emotional here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

bbability wrote: »
    Folks nobody minds anyone leaving wishes or comments but please leave the "who will be filling his slot" comments for another day.

No one could ever fill his slot he was a LEGEND.........

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jimmyboss

Didn't like him on TV but as a postman on delivery listening to him for the last 20 odd years it is like losing a friend.Many mornings I would say to myself I'm not listening to him again but at 9 o clock I would relent.RIP Gerry and sympathies to his family who he loved dearly.

Ditto, I'm a postie too, and his show was my listening choice every morning, love him or loathe him, he gave us all some great laughs, I'd prefer to remember him that way ......... RIP ya big messer, ya:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Brian Cowan on the air now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,523 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭FredBloggs

I hadn't listened to him in ages but yesterday I had a long car journey and tuned in - don't know why as usually if I was travelling at that time I'd turn on Ray D'Arcy - amazing to think it was his last show.

please leave the off-topic stuff for another day lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

RIP Gerry and Condolences to family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

all the best Gerry
    i`ll miss the show
    condolences to the family

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 westwind

RIP Gerry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

I'm in shock. What terrible news. RIP Gerry - you'll be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭laois gael

RIP Gerry

I will miss your show for sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Elenxor

RIP Gerry.
    Deepest Sympathies to his family

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Southsider1

Gerry, you made me mad, you made me sad, you made me laugh, you made me shed a tear today. Rest in peace...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭eddiem10

RIP. End of an era.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

I actually spoke on air with the Gerry on the occasion of the passing of Noel Redding in 2003. We were wondering what Mitch Mitchell was up to. Gerry and I shared our own experiences of Jimi and the above two gents. It was a slightly mad and sad moment. Our small tribute to the J Hendrix Experience. Over the years I have listened to his show I didn't always agree with what I heard but I always tuned in for more. Gerry was a genuinely interesting guy with a genuine point of view. His likes and dislikes were always crystal clear. For someone in such a public place that is a rare thing.

I'll save my fears for what will become of his slot for another day.

Farewell Gerry. Wherever you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I'm genuinely shocked by this. Very difficult to believe. I think a lot of people will feel like they know him because they've listened to him for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Loved listening to him on the way into college. Always had something interesting to say even if his guests didn't. Even if I didn't agree with some of the opinions he put forth on his show they were always well thought out and intelligent. Radio has lost one of its champions. RIP Gerry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Like everybody else here, I am stunned at this news.

I have to be honest and say that I was not a big fan of Gerry Ryan on the radio - bizarrely, I did not mind him as much on the tv. That said, I feel the entertainment industry has lost a big big character that really is irreplaceable.

My favourite memories of Gerry Ryan the deejay was when he played new and exciting acts and songs on nightime radio on 2FM in the early to mid '80s.

I extend my sympathy and condolences to his family and all his friends, especially in the entertainment sphere.

R.I.P.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement