Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is it possible

Options
  • 12-02-2010 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭

I've decided I want to do a course thats 510 points after school. Im in fifth year now and I got fairly okayish results in my christmas tests.
    english 63%
    Maths 70 %
    irish 68%
    biology 93%
    french 42%(didnt do much for this, would normally be around 60)
    economics 70%
    home ec70%

My problem is that money is fairly tight so Im not going to get a cvhance to go to the gaelteacht or anything like that this summer. I would say Im quite smart and pick up things easily enough but I have a terrible memory. Would you say I would be able to get 500+?
    Any tips or anything to help?thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Yes of course! If you work hard! Keep reminding youreslf of how hard you need to work to get this, and the dissapointment you will feel if you don't (well if you're more optimistic, think how happy you will be when you do!!).

Don't worry about being bad at French - I am too, but I'm looking for around 560 points but I'm terrible at French. But I do 8 subjects so I still have 7 'good' ones, if you know what I mean.

Good luck!

Sure, if you apply yourself and work hard there's no reason you can't achieve the points you want. Grinds and the gaeltacht are of no use unless you work as well, I've never taken either and I manage fine. You won't be at a disadvantage by not being able to pay for extra stuff.
    As for your memory, practice will improve it. You may need to go over things more often, but tbh most people have to do this so I wouldn't worry about it.

Don't panic about not having the ability to get the course of your dreams. If you really want it, you will work for it and make it yours. And if you are disappointed with your results, there are ALWAYS other routes in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

Well in my opinion, if you are really serious in trying, I think you can definitely do it. It's just a matter of what you get between 550-600 if you try :D

There's plenty of free resources that can help you. Get the marking schemes to correct your own work, and ask your teacher for help if you don't get why something is done that way etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

is it possible

yes... but are you willing to do the work, that is the real question. If you are, then it should be doable, if not, then it won't. When I did it, I wanted minimum of 410, and I did very little work, and I got exactly 410. The stress of the wait between results and offers was worse than the exams, results etc all put together, mind you I wasn't stressed about anything bar the offers, and at that only slightly, I had the attitude at that stage "what's done is done"

Mind you, in your case, it's not done yet so you've any result you want open to you.
    french 42%(didnt do much for this, would normally be around 60)

that has to stop NOW if you want to achieve your goal. In all subjects. Between know and june 2011, except for this summer, your number one priority is study, school, homework and exams. It's not going to be pretty, but you'll get what you want. Homework is key. Don't be afraid to approach any and all staff in your school if you have any questions or worries, they're there to help. Do extra work and get it graded etc, maybe even by two teachers for a second opinion.

If you put in the work, you'll get your 510, if you don't, you won't. If your course is 510, I'd actually be aiming for 530 minimum, no matter what field it's in, even if you think the points will go down. The last thing you want is for the points to hit 515 and you've got 510...

Finally, often students analyse their current grades and what they expect to get, putting the minimum they think they could get. While this is good as it shows you the possible worst case scenario, it does absolutely nothing for your self esteem etc. Tell yourself your useless, and you'll be useless. So do both predictions, what you truly believe you can hit in each subject (don't get carried away, but if you honestly reckon you can get 4 A1's, put them down) and then also put down the minimum, then put all your effort into getting the high marks, if they end up being below what your minimum, you need to change a few things. Don't get hung up on these predictions and on small class test though.

If you want it bad enough, and work to get it for the 18 or so months you have, you'll get it. Good luck with it all!!

BTW, I'm not some old teacher preaching like you here in school every week, I actually did the LC very recently and have already looked back thinking maybe I could have changed x etc. But I got my 1st choice so I'm happy.

Advertisement