If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A/V Receiver and Speaker Recommendations

Options
  • 12-02-2010 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for a recommendation and quote on A/V receiver and speakers please.

Budget is between 500 and 600 euro (obviously, I'd like to spend the lesser amount :-) )

I have my Samsung 40" LCD, NTL Digital + Set-top box and Mac Mini (for movies and music). Dunno if I will ever get round to purchasing a Blu-Ray player but I guess it's a possibility.

I'm not an audiophile and know little about audio systems - but would appreciate something better than standard TV speakers or the basic computer speakers I have my Mac Mini hooked up to (still a lot better than the TV though)

Like everyone else, I don't fancy too much cable clutter - so would be interested in speaker set with wireless rears. My couch is against the back wall (to hide power cables) and I have a socket near it too

I'm in Dublin and could pop into the Phillips store tomorrow for a browse

thanks,

Al

P.S. Also, would be good to know if the Receiver can be controlled by my Harmony remote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭alter200

Any thoughts?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Al.

Sorry for late reply.

Wireless rear systems are few and far between and with any that I have ever come across you have a few issues :

(1) Wireless rears require power. This is either mains power or batteries which means that they are not wireless or expensive to run.

(2) They work off a wireless receiver, which again means that they are not wireless as they have a cable which connects them to the receiver.

(3) Quality - Wireless technology is O.K. for data but streaming wireless sound is not a good as having a good old cable.

(4) Price. They tend to be all in-one systems with limited connectivity and features and they tend to be over-priced.

so....in short, I wound't bother with wireless systems.

With a wired system, you are going to be best looking at a 5.1 speaker pack and an A/V receiver...I am assuming you already have a DVD player.

The receiver is going to have to be either the Onkyo TXSR507 or the Denon AVR1610. The Onkyo if you are trying to stay at the bottom end of your budget.

The speaker packs that are available for your budget would be the Onkyo SKSHT528 or the Jamo A102.

To get the best system you can, the Onkyo 507 and the Jamo A102 pack with speaker cables and subwoofer cable would come in at the 620 Euro mark, approx, depending on cables.

To come in at the lower end, the Onkyo 507 and the 528 pack would be approx 480 Euro as this pack comes with speaker cable in it.

The alternative would be to go for a better amp like the Denon AVR1610 (330 Euro) and the Onkyo pack (€199) and then upgrade the speaker pack down the line as the Denon would justify a better package on the end of it.

I hope this helps, but as ever, let me know if I can help any further.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave

Are all of these systems available for pickup from the Phillips Store?

Al

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

alter200 wrote: »
    Thanks Dave

Are all of these systems available for pickup from the Phillips Store?

Al

Alter,

we don't stock them in The Philips Shop - but if you order them from the Belfast shop (you can drop us a PM with you contact number and we will give you a shout - or just give us a call on the mail order line on 04890.33.00.44) we will happily deliver it to you direct to home or for pickup at The Philips Shop (that way you may see a nice TV as well and go completely mad ;);) )

Keep us posted if we can assist - we will do our best to help.

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

alter200 wrote: »
    Hi,

P.S. Also, would be good to know if the Receiver can be controlled by my Harmony remote

Both receivers mentioned will gladly be controlled with a Harmony remote..

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

givecredit wrote: »
    Both receivers mentioned will gladly be controlled with a Harmony remote..

Thanks Givecredit - much appreciated!

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

thanks Givecredit

much thanks to all the crew at Richersounds

my receiver and speakers are ordered and looking forward to getting them on Tuesday

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.