Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All A's??

Options
  • 12-02-2010 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hey...
    I know that this is going to sound crazy but I really want to get 600 points in my leaving Cert....
    I'm in fifth year at the moment...
    I have a brother doing the leaving cert this year whp is super smart and doesnt work that hard AT ALL:mad:...
    While I love him and want him to achieve the best I am wondering what I have to do to get the much desired (by me, anyway!) 600 points???...
    I know this sounds crazy but noone expects me to do that well...
    My mam always calls me the "hardest worker" in the house, but I want to be more than that...
    I'm quite young to be doing the leaving cert so I really need advise...

Thank you!!!...
    Aisling Marie...xxx<3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

what do you mean by young,are you younger then 17 years old?

well im doing my leaving cert this year and im experiencing the same thing,well you have to just study hard everyday and understand everything.

i would suggest you to ask your teacher to test the class on chapters you have done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

Hey...
    I know that this is going to sound crazy but I really want to get 600 points in my leaving Cert....
    I have a brother doing the leaving cert this year whp is super smart and doesnt work that hard AT ALL:mad:...
    While I love him and want him to achieve the best I am wondering what I have to do to get the much desired (by me, anyway!) 600 points???...
    My mam always calls me the "hardest worker" in the house, but I want to be more than that...

Thank you!!!...
    Aisling Marie...xxx<3

Do you need 600 points? I doubt you do. It seems to me you're intent on getting the maximum amount to prove a point. I think that's a bad idea and will put you under severe pressure, and will encourage intense competition between you and your brother which I think is a bad thing.

Focus on your own work, work hard and don't be watching what other people are doing. Never judge your own success on another person's success.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

Hey...

Thank you!!!...
    Aisling Marie...xxx<3

I dont think youre after 600 for the right reasons.
    That would be fine and well, but if you dont have a good reason, you will go crazy with the workload.

That said, if you need it for a course go for it! It makes it much easier if you have something you want for the future, whenever I find myself getting lazy i think of what i want it for, and i get energy!:)

Your parents will be proud of you if you get enough points for your first choice. If you start studying now, you probably will get over 500 if ya need it.

Good luck with it!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

What's crazy about aiming for 600 points? To be honest, it's not as hard as you think if you start as early as fifth year. However, as anything could happen on the day of the exam, don't put yourself under too much pressure and be too disappointed if you miss by 10-20 points.

Also, I don't think a young age would affect your chance of doing well in the leaving cert, you're given an equal amount of time to study as everybody else.

I agree with MaighEoGoDeo, don't compare yourself with your brother, it's unhealthy (and he's not in competition with you for points xD, he's competing with me).

As for advice, go to examinations.ie to practice questions on topics you've covered and correct it with the marking schemes. Also, if your brother has any revision books in subjects you do, you can borrow it when he's not using it. However, the most important thing is to just keep in class and make sure you understand what's going on. Don't end up like me, just done my mocks and trying to cram everything in the next four months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭AislingMarie

ayumi wrote: »
    what do you mean by young,are you younger then 17 years old?

well im doing my leaving cert this year and im experiencing the same thing,well you have to just study hard everyday and understand everything.

i would suggest you to ask your teacher to test the class on chapters you have done.

Ye I'll be 17 doing my leaving cert...
    It's not that young but some of my friends will be nineteen...
    Just a little comparrison!...

I get what everryone is saying about my brother!...
    It's just frustrating you know?...

I want to do teaching so I'm not sure how high the points will be by the time It's my turn!...

I know it sounds crazy but I'm going to aim for 600 but I obviously wont be terribly dissappointed if I dont get that...

I don't know why I want to do better than my brother...
    My parents are constantly saying we are NOT in competition with each other...
    He always likes to tell me how dumb I am and stuff so I guess that's why I want to do better than him!...:mad:

Anyway thanks for replying everyone!...
    And for being semi-kind!!...xxx:o:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

Ye I'll be 17 doing my leaving cert...
    It's not that young but some of my friends will be nineteen...
    Just a little comparrison!...

I want to do teaching so I'm not sure how high the points will be by the time It's my turn!...

I know it sounds crazy but I'm going to aim for 600 but I obviously wont be terribly dissappointed if I dont get that...

I don't know why I want to do better than my brother...
    My parents are constantly saying we are NOT in competition with each other...
    He always likes to tell me how dumb I am and stuff so I guess that's why I want to do better than him!...:mad:

Anyway thanks for replying everyone!...
    And for being semi-kind!!...xxx:o:o
    its good that your aiming for 6oo now that they have said that only 50000 from 71000 will go to college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Okaaaay, well I got 8 A1s in my LC so I'm speaking from experience here. First things first, if you don't need 600 points, it's not worth struggling over. I don't know how much I can emphasise this but it's something I learned the hard way. I didn't need 8 A1s, no one needs 8 A1s, heck I didn't even need over 500 points (my course was 485). Am I sad I got those results? No. If I could do the LC again would I do as much work as I did? No. Aiming for maximum points is an awful lot of pressure to put on yourself. When I was doing my LC, everyone expected me to get 600 and I was terrified of 'letting them all down'. I thought getting massive points would make me happy but it didn't really change anything in the end. The day after results you just sit down and say to yourself 'Well, that's that'. Getting 800 points got me no further than getting 550 would've.

Anyway, I'm just sharing my experience here. Set yourself a realistic goal (e.g. points you need for your course), work hard to achieve that and if you end up with more than that, fantastic! Just don't set yourself up for disappointment, it's not worth it in the end.

Here's my advice anyway: You definitely need to work solidly and consistently throughout 5th year aswell as 6th year. I made notes all the way through both years, improving on them each time I revised. Make sure you understand everything because it's very difficult to remember something you find confusing. You won't always get it straight away, but with continued revision and breaking it down bit by bit, it'll eventually click.

I'll be the first one to say straight out that I'm no genius. I have a certain amount of ability yes, but I got the results I did through smart learning and regular study. Exam papers are your Bible. The same things come up over and over again in most subjects - it doesn't take long to cope onto what you need and don't need to learn. Exam skills are key - know exactly how much time you have for each question, exactly how much you need to write to gain the most marks possible etc. Knowing how to work the exam will be the difference between a B and an A.

It's impossible to feel completely prepared for every subject - I went into all my exams still feeling I could've done more. As I said, it's an awful lot of pressure and other things in life can fall by the wayside. I wouldn't do it again but it's up to you to decide if it's worth it.

Let me know if you've any questions for specific subjects or whatnot! Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

i did my leaving in 2009 and i did nowhere near my best effort and im regretting it now i know im a lot better than what i got and it wrecks my head, if your able to get 600 points go and get them and best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Evan93

Anyone can get 600 points if they want. Saying this, it comes at a price. You will have to put a lot of time in and sacrifice certain aspects of your life. If you feel you want/need 600 points,go for it, you have nothing to lose.

I'm a fifth year also and I'd like 600 points,everyone does. At the end of the day, you get what you put in and that's the system.

You do not need to impress anyone with points,only live up to your expectations,whether that be 200 points or 600. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

Just bear in mind that the novelty will wear off after a few days, and once you're in college no one is really going to care all that much what you get in the LC.
    By all means, aim for it! It's always good to have a goal, and you can certainly achieve it if you put your mind to it!
    Just don't make too many sacrifices for it, especially if you don't actually need the points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Evan93 wrote: »
    Anyone can get 600 points if they want. Saying this, it comes at a price. You will have to put a lot of time in and sacrifice certain aspects of your life. If you feel you want/need 600 points,go for it, you have nothing to lose.

I'm a fifth year also and I'd like 600 points,everyone does. At the end of the day, you get what you put in and that's the system.

You do not need to impress anyone with points,only live up to your expectations,whether that be 200 points or 600. Best of luck.
    Not everyone can get 600 points. Yes, you don't have to be a genius, but you do need some intelligence.

Hotaru wrote: »
    Okaaaay, well I got 8 A1s in my LC so I'm speaking from experience here. First things first, if you don't need 600 points, it's not worth struggling over. I don't know how much I can emphasise this but it's something I learned the hard way. I didn't need 8 A1s, no one needs 8 A1s, heck I didn't even need over 500 points (my course was 485). Am I sad I got those results? No. If I could do the LC again would I do as much work as I did? No. Aiming for maximum points is an awful lot of pressure to put on yourself. When I was doing my LC, everyone expected me to get 600 and I was terrified of 'letting them all down'. I thought getting massive points would make me happy but it didn't really change anything in the end. The day after results you just sit down and say to yourself 'Well, that's that'. Getting 800 points got me no further than getting 550 would've.

Anyway, I'm just sharing my experience here. Set yourself a realistic goal (e.g. points you need for your course), work hard to achieve that and if you end up with more than that, fantastic! Just don't set yourself up for disappointment, it's not worth it in the end.

Here's my advice anyway: You definitely need to work solidly and consistently throughout 5th year aswell as 6th year. I made notes all the way through both years, improving on them each time I revised. Make sure you understand everything because it's very difficult to remember something you find confusing. You won't always get it straight away, but with continued revision and breaking it down bit by bit, it'll eventually click.

I'll be the first one to say straight out that I'm no genius. I have a certain amount of ability yes, but I got the results I did through smart learning and regular study. Exam papers are your Bible. The same things come up over and over again in most subjects - it doesn't take long to cope onto what you need and don't need to learn. Exam skills are key - know exactly how much time you have for each question, exactly how much you need to write to gain the most marks possible etc. Knowing how to work the exam will be the difference between a B and an A.

It's impossible to feel completely prepared for every subject - I went into all my exams still feeling I could've done more. As I said, it's an awful lot of pressure and other things in life can fall by the wayside. I wouldn't do it again but it's up to you to decide if it's worth it.

Let me know if you've any questions for specific subjects or whatnot! Good luck.

Thank you so much!...
    You're so kind!...
    I see exactly where you are coming from...
    The course that I want to do requires 545 points at the moment...
    So you can see why I'm aiming so high!...

Thank you so much for your advice and best of luck!!:o

i did my leaving in 2009 and i did nowhere near my best effort and im regretting it now i know im a lot better than what i got and it wrecks my head, if your able to get 600 points go and get them and best of luck!

Thank you...
    And I hope everything is working out well for you...

Evan93 wrote: »

Yes I understand that...
    I'm finding it a little difficult actually at the moment balancing both relationships and school work!...
    Going out at weekends and study and not wanting to let people down!...
    But I kind of look at it that in a year and a half it will be over and I will be glad I put the work in now....

Thank you and best of luck to you too!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Yes I understand that...
    I'm finding it a little difficult actually at the moment balancing both relationships and school work!...
    Going out at weekends and study and not wanting to let people down!...
    But I kind of look at it that in a year and a half it will be over and I will be glad I put the work in now....

Thank you and best of luck to you too!:o

Geez - don't go thinking like that if you want to get 600 points. If you're looking for such high marks, you're going to have to sacrifice some things, and trying to keep everybody happy will have to be one of those things.
    If you really want to score so high, you're going to have to prioritise. You're right, in a year and a half it will be over, but it will have to be a year and a half of hard work.
    I'm not saying this to criticise - am just saying that you shouldn't be too hard on yourself. If you are singled minded in your goal, I'm sure you can do it. But you can't do everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ChristinaIndigo

I'm in 5th yr at the moment too -

Aced my Junior Cert, did TY & thought "Ah ye, 5th yr will be grand. I'll get near enough to 600 points no bother"......... :rolleyes:

5th year started & suddenly it hit me that if I was going to aim for 600 - I'd end up having a nervous breakdown before the year had ended.
    Combination of subjects isn't great: Art (incl art history), History, Geography & Spanish.

Every Friday for the next two years I'll be handed at least 1-2 English essays, 1 Art History essay, History essay, Geography essay & then all the other bits & bobs.........all to be handed in for Monday.

So, now I'm fully aware that trying to "keep up with high achievers" isn't such a great idea. To other people, I'm probably considered one of the high achievers but, there'll always be someone that does better than you.
    So, I've given up to trying to compare myself with what other people are doing.

Only you know if you're capable of achieving 600 points - in my opinion, it's not worth ruining your final two years of school over though.
    I'd love 600 points - who wouldn't?!
    But, there comes a time when you just have to focus on yourself for a change.

I'm doing my best and, my best (if I do say so myself) will ensure I do well.
    However, there are days when I'm just so tired that I physically need to give myself a rest, so, I completely ditch the studying & relax.

I barely have time for myself with all the homework I've been doing, so, when I need a break - it's not like I see my whole future washing away.
    I just think "it's not worth it" ;)

I do what's required to keep me on the right track, I shine in what I'm good at & I get on with what I'm not so good at.
    By the time that's all done, I have two choices either keep going with extra study to keep the 600 points in sight, or, take a break.
    Lately, I haven't had much time left out of the weekend to do either but, I plan on finding a way to make more time.

I may end up dropping down a level in one subject or so, I'll see how things go. My point is though, over the last few months, I've been learning about how much I can handle rather than constantly saying "oh, well, if she can take all honours subjects then so can I".

Trouble is, we're all different & all work in different ways.
    For me to keep achieving high grades, I need a breather every so often.
    Can't keep up the pace for the whole year.
    So, I've been trying to work out my own abilities......

It's the only way to keep a good balance - concentrate on yourself :)

x

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

There will always be peolple who will do better than you without working as hard as you,not just in the L.C but in life in general.

There are much more teaching places then there are people who get 600 points so you don't need to worry about this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Plenty of teaching places, not so many jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

spurious wrote: »
    Plenty of teaching places, not so many jobs.

And in 3/4 years that might be different. Not something you really need to stress about atm.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Hotaru wrote: »
    And in 3/4 years that might be different. Not something you really need to stress about atm.

Actually no - that's what people thought 3-4 years ago and it's worse now. For years the training colleges and courses have been taking in an unsustainable number of students. There is a huge number of unemployed teachers out there, growing all the time as the cutbacks bite. The PTR makes sure this won't be changing any time soon.

By all means train for teaching, but be aware of what the reality is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Hotaru has given some pretty good advice OP.

If you want 600 points, it's fine to aim for it, but do not kill yourself trying to get it. You want teaching, and need 545 points. Points go up and down, but they're unlikely to ever reach 600 for a teaching course. Some people are motivated by doing well for the sake of doing well, not by obtaining the points they need for their course. I probably fell into the former category. I wanted to get my course, but I also wanted to do as well as I possibly could.

I got 10 points less than Hotaro did in my LC, and I can confirm what he/she says. There's a great sense of satisfaction, which I still get when I think about it, but it is not the be all and end all.

Aim and strive to do the best that you can, be that 600 points or 300, without destroying your life. You'll just end up burnt out, and instead of remembering your surprise and satisfaction on getting your results, all you'll remember is the torture you put yourself through.

(Btw, is it the B.Ed in Ed and Psych you're thinking of doing?)

dambarude wrote: »
    Hotaru has given some pretty good advice OP.

I got 10 points less than Hotaro did in my LC, and I can confirm what he/she says. There's a great sense of satisfaction, which I still get when I think about it, but it is not the be all and end all.

Woah, Well done!!

Btw ye that's the course!!...
    I'd love to get it...

Ever since I can remember I have wanted to be a teacher!...
    I used to make my 3 year old sister do "school work" when I was 4 just so I could correct it!...

(I know that's obviouslly not just what teaching is about)

Oh and thanks I know it's not the be all and end all...
    there's always a way around!!!..xxx

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Ever since I can remember I have wanted to be a teacher!...

Then don't underestimate the psychology aspect of the course. After second year most of the time is dedicated to psychology. Once again, I speak from experience;).

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

theowen wrote: »
    Not everyone can get 600 points. Yes, you don't have to be a genius, but you do need some intelligence.

Yeah,i guess u have to be some way intelligent.
    Im not tryin to boast but i got 580 pts last year(not a repeat) but im only of average intelligence,imo.
    I wz in a grind school and worked very hard.During my junior cert days,in a public school i was failing exams and gettin poor enough grades.I think that if u have motivation and the right environment in which to study you can definitely do very well with little intelligence

Advertisement