Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tri a bit of everything

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Way hey, Great report and a very good race. I loved that run, delighted you held the brit off and also bet the mexican across the finish line, great running. Thats a great result man, well bloody done.

Sorry to hear you didn't get to go on the rip due to the food poisoning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Well done nomadic, fantastic stuff
    What a great way to round off your first year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Impressive first season in the sport nomadic. Well done in Budapest and all season.

next year should be a big one for you. Keep it up! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Great going...nice result off the back of a great season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Time to get this rolling again I think. Last years mileage charts are below. I really need more consistency this year and the run mileage was poor. I've suffered a few injuries with the running so hopefully I can get a good, pardon the pun, run at it this year. I've been using the training log template that someone stuck up last year so ta for that.

142068.jpg
    142069.jpg
    142070.jpg

I've actually been doing some reading on training so hopefully it'll be somewhat structured this year. I've 3 A races for this year. To keep up with the log title the're in 3 different sports.

The first is the Gorey 3 day which is on the easter weekend. Its a 3 day, 4 stage race. The Mtb club have a decent road group this year and we're looking at getting a decent sized team into it. It'll be a huge challenge for me seeing as I haven't even raced on the road yet and jumping straight into A3 will be tough. The Mtb NPS series will be a B goal this year with the races starting in april and finishing in June.

The second A race is the HIM in swinford on the 24th of July. I'm toying with the idea of the tri an mhi HIM aswell but it'll be a B/C race if I do it. It'd be nice to do another in September but I don't think it'd make financial sence with it only being a B/C race.

The final A race is the Dublin marathon. I did the DCM back in 2009 in 4.15 and it was a bit of a disaster so I plan on smashing that time.

Hopefully the plan to go from bike focus to mixed focus to run focus will go ok. The bike focus period will probably have 5 bike sessions with 3/4 runs and 3 swims per week. I've had a good few weeks of base training on the bike but the snow meant some more short intense stuff. I haven't run properly since injuring my hip at the end of October and it stopped me doing anything for the last week but hopefully it'll get sorted:(. I'm entering the world of 9 to 5 in a couple of weeks so it'll be challenging getting the sessions in.

I'm dieing with a virus/infection of some sort at the moment so not a lot doing. I managed 10 mins on the turbo this morning but my HR went through the roof for usual zone 2 stuff so I knocked it on the head. The hip held up though which is a good sign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

The very best of luck man in 2011, you will have a super year I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Good man nomadic, if you have anything like the year last year you might sneak in an age grade win somewhere. Although you will find it harder to train now with the new job..........you will be to new in the job for lunchtime runs

Swinford an A goal - has Glastonbury been knocked on the head ?

catweazle wrote: »

Swinford an A goal - has Glastonbury been knocked on the head ?

No its still happening but I'll work around it somehow. I'll have 4 weeks after glasto to get back into shape.

Yesterday

600m Swim
    Still feeling a bit ropey and my throat was in bits but I hit the pool for a bit. Good to get a bit of a splash in but my breathing was really heavy so I didn't stay long.

Today

1 hour on the turbo avg HR 165 which was at least 25 bpm too high followed by a 4km easy run.

Feeling a little better but throat is still really sore. The turbo session was easy enough but my HR sky rocketed again. I went out for a run after which went well. I did a bit of work on my hip last night and its sore today but a good type of sore. I probably should have given it anothers days rest but i'm sick of not training so it time for the sickness to leave whether it likes it or not.

Today
    2 Hour turbo session

I still have a sore throat and can't talk but my lungs are grand so I went ahead with this. The first hour was nice and steady with what usually is zone 2 effort, I got in the zone for the second hour and it turned into a bit of a tempo session. I had to push myself really hard for the last 10 mins to maintain the same pace. I blame my elevated HR for the lack of structure for the session. Good work out anyway.

I had my first weight in of the year yesterday. 75.3kg's, 12.6% body fat.
    Hopefully get down to about 73 by mid feb, race weight will be about 70kg's I reckon, <7% body fat.

• Advertisement

Sunday

5.87 mile run in 41.30, 7.04 min/mile pace.

3 laps of the triangle down in the park. I won't really set any goal pace for runs for the next week until I get my running legs back. Felt good on this though. I did most of it on grass and the hip held up. It was a bit twingy afterwards but that was my best run for about 3 months. Happy with the pace too.

Monday AM

69.9km bike in 2.19.07, 29.9 km/hr avg.
    Spin out to summerhill in meath, across to kilcock and home. Mud guards for the bike were a great investment. Its nice to stay dry even though the roads are soaking.

PM

2,000m swim
    5 x 100m
    2 x 500m
    5 x 100m

I've totally lost my swim fitness and my technique is crap so I was all over the place. I was giving it socks for the first 500m and I was still coming in over 60s per 50m. I took it really easy for the second 500m and concentrated on technique. I didn't look at the clock because I'd just be annoying myself. I need to drop my head and to improve my breathing for starters. I'll ignore the clock for a few weeks until the technique improves.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

nomadic wrote: »
    Monday AM69.9km bike in 2.19.07, 29.9 km/hr avg.

Spin out to summerhill in meath, across to kilcock and home. Mud guards for the bike were a great investment. Its nice to stay dry even though the roads are soaking.

Was out that way on Saturday, main road from Kilcock to Summerhill was a mess with snow and slush... no fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I've totally lost my swim fitness and my technique is crap so I was all over the place. I was giving it socks for the first 500m and I was still coming in over 60s per 50m.

Tell me about it, interested in his swim plans has 16 x 50 off 1.00. I had to split them into sets of 4 to even get close to those times. Logged on last night to get this mornings...........10 x 100 off 2.15...........oh how I laughed..........no chance. Two sets of 5 x 100m off 2.30 was all I could muster.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Was out that way on Saturday, main road from Kilcock to Summerhill was a mess with snow and slush... no fun.
    It was grand today. There was a bit of snow and ice on the sides and middle of roads heading up to summerhill but only a little. Hopefully this milder weather hangs around for a while.

Tuesday am

110.1km bike in 3.54.45, 28.2km/hr

Today I went out the same way as yesterday but continued on past Rathmolyon towards Ballivor. I turned left to head towards Kinnegad but the road was sheet ice and I hit the deck. I went back and took the route home via Longwood(never heard of that place before). Didn't see any more ice thankfully. I was feeling it a bit after 60k but a gel sorted me out. I was definately running on quite a bit of fat by the time I got home.

pm

4.21mile run in 35.41, 8.27 min/mile pace.

I had planned to do another mile or so but I was fairly knackered so gladly cut it a bit short.

Hey nomadic - I eventually catch up. Great to see the log back for another year. Hope you're over the virus now. Interesting A races too. Fair play.

That 5.5m run in 7 min /ml looks a bit quick for someone getting back into the running - hope you don't mind me saying - I would advise doing easy km (maybe 1 faster session/week) for the first 2 weeks at least.

Macanri wrote: »
    Hey nomadic - I eventually catch up. Great to see the log back for another year. Hope you're over the virus now. Interesting A races too. Fair play.

That 5.5m run in 7 min /ml looks a bit quick for someone getting back into the running - hope you don't mind me saying - I would advise doing easy km (maybe 1 faster session/week) for the first 2 weeks at least.
    I absolutely welcome all comments on the training.

I only have a stopwatch for the moment so have no idea of pace during a run. I thought I was running a bit slower than that. It was a nice surprise to see that pace. I tend to run too fast all the time so I'll definately take that on board. Cheers!

Wednesday pm

2,500m swimming
    5 x 100m
    500m
    5 x 100m
    500m
    5 x 100m

A little better than monday but not much. It'll take a few more sessions to get back into it.

7.65 mile run in 1.00.15, 7.52 min/miles.

I was fairly wrecked this evening but a cup of coffee and a chomp had me sorted and ready for the run. I was feeling it a bit after 4 miles but a second wind kicked in and I finished well.

My dad has been in hospital for the last week and I noticed they had him in compression socks so I told him to grab me a pair. He brough me home a pair today so I'm sporting some of St James Hospital's finest compression socks at the moment. I should really sort myself out with some skins soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I should really sort myself out with some skins soon.

I'm a recent convert, sitting in my recovery tigths here now. Check out basecamp on abbey street.. cheaper than online.

• Advertisement

Thursday

71.84km bike in 2.24.12, 29.8km/hr.

Same route as Monday except coming home via Leixlip and Lucan because of a closed road . I push it medium hard into the wind from Dunboyne to the roundabout before Summerhill, just under 20km I think. Good spin on tired legs. I might bail on the planned 5 mile run for later.

Thursday

71.84km bike in 2.24.12, 29.8km/hr.

Same route as Monday except coming home via Leixlip and Lucan because of a closed road . I push it medium hard into the wind from Dunboyne to the roundabout before Summerhill, just under 20km I think. Good spin on tired legs. I might bail on the planned 5 mile run for later.

Dude on the weekends I stay up in Dublin I take similar routes as yourself so I'll let you know next time in case you want a cycling partner.

Dude on the weekends I stay up in Dublin I take similar routes as yourself so I'll let you know next time in case you want a cycling partner.
    Cool

Thursday PM

I got out on the run I had planned to bail on but only did 2.23 miles at 8.36 min/miles as a recovery run.

Friday AM

2,500m swimming
    same set as wednesday 5 x 100m, 2x(500m,5 x 100m)

I was back in the 25m pool for the first time in ages so the times were the right side of 30s per 50m. The 100's were all about 1.50 and the 500's were 9.31 and 9.45. I been reading some of the swim smooth emails and I'm going to work on exhaling into the water. I never do it and always exhale and inhale when I turn my head. No wonder i'm always out of breath.

PM

2.27 mile run

My mates think I'm a propper wierdo now. I was heading to the pub for a few so threw some jeans into a bag and ran down and back. I was nicely fueled for the return leg.

Saturday

123.7km spin with the club in 4.36.08, 26.9km/hr avg.

I met the lads in maynooth and we headed to kilcock then to naas and lots of other places. I had no idea where we were most of the time. Serious head wind for the first half of the spin but the return to dublin was nice with the wind. I'm tempted to get a 25km spin in tomorrow to get over 400k for the week.

Sunday

11.94 mile LSR in 1.38.54, 8.15 min/mile pace.

I bumped into Bambatta on this and we ran together for a lap of the park. Time flys when your waffling and I ran a little further than the planned 10 miles.

Week totals
    Swim 7km
    Bike 375.5km
    Run 45.5km

That was the biggest week of training I've ever done at 19.5 hours. I'll be lucky to get half that done next week. My biggest cycling week ever as well. It'll be a struggle to get sessions in for the next couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

That was the biggest week of training I've ever done at 19.5 hours.
    :eek::eek:

:eek::eek:
    It was my last week of being a part time working bum so I made the most of it. It's all downhill from here. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Great mileage on the bike for last week.

Serious milage dude! Loving the pub run I must say :)
    By the way breathing out under water is a MUST, your times will greatly improve and more importantly you'll e a heck of a lot more efficient.

• Advertisement

++1 to the above:eek:

Savage stuff ... which Ironman was it you are doing?:D

As El D says breathing out under water is a must. Swim 101! Seriously though, after you get ued to it ... and you will, you will be far less out of breath.

Welcome to the real world, by the way:p

Advertisement