Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tri a bit of everything

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Cheers lads, my first attempt at breathing out under water didn't go so well. I'm so used to holding my breath that I can't start exhaling straight away. I'll keep on plugging away at it.

Monday

nada. My first day in the new job so I got the bus in. Bloody bus, not doing that again.

Tuesday
    Just the 23.88km commute in and out of work

Wednesday
    2,200m swim
    5 x 100m, 500m, 5 x 100m , 700m

My first 6am swim and it went ok. Its actually nice to get a session done that early once you've gotten out of bed.

6.36 mile(10.24km) run at lunch in 45.05, 7.05 min/mile pace.

My first of many lunch time runs. I ran down the canal, Ringsend, down the coast and back via Ballsbridge. Nice run except getting caught waiting for the poxy dart. Work has a shower which is perfect.

23.88km commute

These are of little value really. Hopefully I can get out for some propper mid week bikes or the turbo.

5.67 mile run in 39.18, 6.56min/miles

Lunch time run. Roughly the same route as yesterday minus some detours. I started a little quickly and was too stubborn to slow it down. I don't see the point in taking it easy on short runs when I'm feeling good. Maybe thats why I get injured.

1 hour turbo this evening and the work commute
    4 x (5 mins easy, 5 mins med, 5 mins hard)

I was chewing the handlebars by the end. Heart rates were ~130, ~145 and ~168bpms for each bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Re the breathing, maybe practice at the end of the pool just standing there and get the feel for breathing out straight away. I hope that helps. Maybe interested night see this and suggest something beneficial.

Re the lunch time runs, its hard to do them slow when you know you are under a time limit.

As I said to the girl behind the desk this morning in the NAC "It's nice to get the torture finshed early!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

nomadic wrote: »
    5.67 mile run in 39.18, 6.56min/miles

Lunch time run. Roughly the same route as yesterday minus some detours. I started a little quickly and was too stubborn to slow it down. I don't see the point in taking it easy on short runs when I'm feeling good. Maybe thats why I get injured.

1 hour turbo this evening and the work commute
    4 x (5 mins easy, 5 mins med, 5 mins hard)

I was chewing the handlebars by the end. Heart rates were ~130, ~145 and ~168bpms for each bit.

What zone did this have you in 4/5? I would be chewing the handlebars aswell.

What zone did this have you in 4/5? I would be chewing the handlebars aswell.
    Zone 5 I think. Well my max HR(so far) on the bike is 182. I think the first minute of the rep is hardest.

• Advertisement

Friday

2,500m swimming
    5 x 100m
    500m
    5 x 100m
    500m
    5 x 100m

I seem to be getting fond of doing this set all the time.

5.6 mile lunch time run in 38.42, 6.55 min/miles.
    The RPE was slightly easier than yesterday.

21.87 km commute

Weight in week 3: 73.5kg, 11.6% BF
    I lost 1.5kg in the last week. I didn't think I lost much but working is keeping me away from the fridge and my mind off food.

Saturday

70.07 km spin in 2.14.20, 31.2 kmph.

I missed the long club spin this morning due to work but I managed to get a couple of hours in before darkness fell. I took the usual loop out to Summerhill and Kilcock. No long road spin this week so I pushed it hard for this. Happy to keep the intensity up throughout and I got home just before needing something to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

nomadic wrote: »
    I took the usual loop out to Summerhill and Kilcock.

Some weekend we are bound to bump into each other along this route. Very foggy around Summerhill today.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Some weekend we are bound to bump into each other along this route. Very foggy around Summerhill today.
    Yea I saw in the cycling forum that you did that loop today aswell. I love the road from Summerhill to Kilcock when the wind is kind like today. Some nice speed.

Sunday

3.5 hour MTB spin ~40k
    My first time out on the MTB in ages and it showed. I managed to stay with the group for the entirety but I was fairly dead near the end. I need to get some hills in over the next while and hopefully 1 mtb spin a week. I had my usual plenty of spills today. I managed to smash my thigh off a rock and its killing now and I've a bit of a limp. Hopefully it'll be good to run on tomorrow.

Just over 10.5 hours without the commuting or 14 hour with it this week. Not bad seeing as I did nothing Monday or Tuesday.

• Advertisement

Monday

2,500m swimming
    5 x 100, 500, 5 x 100, 500, 5 x 100

I think I better do a different set next time.

I was meant to run at lunch but I was still limping from my badly brused thigh so I gave it a miss. 21k commute.

Tuesday

5.6 mile run at lunch
    No numbers as I forgot my watch but I'd say it wasn't far off 7 min miles. I was trying to keep at a high cadence but keep it steady which is a hard thing to do. I had to constantly rein it in as the high cadence usually means high speed.

45.48km Hills session + 21km commute
    I had the magicshine on the bike which is perfect for night sessions. Pitty it wasn't charged properly and shut off after a lap so I had to head home to get the crap lights. I had planned 5 laps of the strawberry beds loop but cut it to 4 after the unscheduled pit stop home. It was nearly an intervals session but I didn't work hard enough on the flat interval bits. I gave it socks on the hill each lap though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

Well dude, how is that thigh now? Sounded nasty. I will be doing that same loop come march for 8 weeks or so.

Well dude, how is that thigh now? Sounded nasty. I will be doing that same loop come march for 8 weeks or so.
    Its alright. Just badly brused.

Wednesday
    2,600m swimming

100,200,300,400,500,400,300,300,200,100,100 easy

I like this pyramid session. Swimming its feeling a little easier.

5.6 mile run in 40.50, 7.18 min/miles
    I tweeked my groing a little running yesterday and it hurt a little on the bike yesterday aswell. It was feeling ok today so I took it a bit easier. I could feel it was a little unhappy during the run but it wasn't terribly sore.

21.9km commute

Thursday

21.9km commute

I pulled the planned run as my groin wasn't right and its the same sort of problem that I struggled with for months early last year. I didn't bother with the planned evening bike either as I was feeling a little tired and took it as a day off.

Friday

2,500m swim

5 x 100, 500, 5 x 100, 1,000.

My breathing is coming on a little. I breath on every second stroke and I'm managing to breath out a little underwater. Breathing every 3,4 strokes would allow me to totally empty my lungs under water but I feel like I'm totally out of breath if I do that. I love getting the swim done so early and I feel great afterwards but poxy Spin FM on in the changing rooms makes me want to top myself. Like totally!

No run today either. My groing feels fairly good but it needs another day or 2 of rest and stretching.

21.9km commute
    Well hopefully I make it home in one piece. I came off the bike in the park this morning trying to stop quickly and hit a huge patch of gravel. The front wheel washed out and I did a superman over the bars. My left knee is nicely cut, why is it always my left leg that taked the beating.

Jesus man you've really been in the wars lately. Hope the groin, thigh and left leg in general isn't too bad. I breathe every second stoke too but only in race situations or tough intervals. Otherwise I am now breathing every 3, this is to even out my stroke. Coach says plenty train this way (breathing every 3rd) and then race breathing every 2nd, this has really helped me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

My best swim times are when I am able to keep to breathing every three, but more often than not as I get tired I go back to every 2, I then breathe to the right and I can feel my left hand pull is just not as good as my right.

I am as well off going slightly slower to keep the breathe every 3 going as I end up being quicker then but its hard to stick to that when you are trashing frantically in the water and the energy is being sucked out of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Bloody hell nomadic, tough week there. Hope your luck changes soon. Good weeks training all the same

catweazle wrote: »
    My best swim times are when I am able to keep to breathing every three, but more often than not as I get tired I go back to every 2, I then breathe to the right and I can feel my left hand pull is just not as good as my right.

I am as well off going slightly slower to keep the breathe every 3 going as I end up being quicker then but its hard to stick to that when you are trashing frantically in the water and the energy is being sucked out of you.

Ya I am the same, when breathing to my right every second stoke my l sometimes forget to bend at the elbow with my left hand....hence uneven stroke. Breathing every 3 gives you a better balence in the water and so is prob more efficient and faster in the long run. I think :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Jaysus Nomadic mind yourself, although I admit I grinned at the image of you doing a superman over the bars, seriously though, hope the knee, thigh, groin etc heal quickly.

On swimming, since I first learned to swim bilaterally I do so ever since, even in races. On a 1500m TT over the winter though the coach asked me how my breathing was, I said grand every 3? He asked if I do it in races and I said yeah. An equally puzzled look. I watched some recodings of the PROs in action and sure enough they breath every 2. This morning I was doing fast 100s and figured the fewer breaths I take the better. So every 4 at full pelt. After a couple of those I was struggling. I chatted with a 'swimmer' who enlightened me that at full pace every 3 or 4 is tough because you are not getting enough ogygen on board. Yeah you might last 1 or 2 reps but the ogygen deficit takes hold and you struggle with intensity, breathing, rhythm and technique and ultimatley slow down.

Right what am I waffling on about? Breathing every 3 for me is comfortable but at race pace I have one pace about me. I have found that getting more oxgen in I can shift up a gear even when my shoulders are starting to burn.

So in a race I might go first 10 without a breath then hit bi lateral, as ElD said better for balance, but if I want to bridge a gap to some feet I'll switch to every 2 and just like that with more oxygen I get more speed. Once on the feet I cruise again..

Not sure if that made any sense though :(

Cheers folks, that all makes sense. I tried bi-lateral breathing for about a week last year then gave up. I did a breath or 2 last week to my right and it wasn't as bad as last year so I should really get stuck into it now that the swim fitness is coming back. It would be nice to have the option. I think I should give the tumble turning a go too. I used to be able to do it, I'll have to wait until the pool is quiet for that though.

• Advertisement

Jaysus Nomadic mind yourself, although I admit I grinned at the image of you doing a superman over the bars, seriously though, hope the knee, thigh, groin etc heal quickly.

On swimming, since I first learned to swim bilaterally I do so ever since, even in races. On a 1500m TT over the winter though the coach asked me how my breathing was, I said grand every 3? He asked if I do it in races and I said yeah. An equally puzzled look. I watched some recodings of the PROs in action and sure enough they breath every 2. This morning I was doing fast 100s and figured the fewer breaths I take the better. So every 4 at full pelt. After a couple of those I was struggling. I chatted with a 'swimmer' who enlightened me that at full pace every 3 or 4 is tough because you are not getting enough ogygen on board. Yeah you might last 1 or 2 reps but the ogygen deficit takes hold and you struggle with intensity, breathing, rhythm and technique and ultimatley slow down.

Right what am I waffling on about? Breathing every 3 for me is comfortable but at race pace I have one pace about me. I have found that getting more oxgen in I can shift up a gear even when my shoulders are starting to burn.

So in a race I might go first 10 without a breath then hit bi lateral, as ElD said better for balance, but if I want to bridge a gap to some feet I'll switch to every 2 and just like that with more oxygen I get more speed. Once on the feet I cruise again..

Not sure if that made any sense though :(

Makes perfect sense. I like to belt off to at the beginning before relaxing into it. this year while 'coasting' i will bilat breathe and, like mcos, if i need to pick it up to find more feet i will go back to every second stroke. Good discussion :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Hopefully no lasting damage Nomadic. On the swimming I used to breath every 2 strokes but i also found i was off balance and one stroke was stronger than the other. Having switched to bi-lateral breathing and under water breathing out i find my stroke has improved massively and i am not gasping for air.

Saturday
    101.5km road spin with the club in 3.38.37, 27.8kmph
    Nice handy 60km spin with the club and 40k out to meet up. There were a few new heads out so we took it nice and handy. Lovely day for a spin.

5.21 mile run in 40.31, 7.46 min/miles
    The spin was really handy so I used it as a brick session. It took about 2 miles to get the feeling back into my feet and I took it really handy. Groin was ok.

Sunday

3,20hr club mtb spin
    We took the road out to Djouce from Kilternan. Djouce defiately has the best trails in Ireland and it was in great condition. The weather was fantastic too. I hung on to the fast lads for most of the spin but lost their tails near the end when they upped the pace. I was wrecked by the end and I need more time on the mtb.

Monday

2,500m swimming100,200,300,400,500,400,300,200,100
    Pyramid session again. I was in a lane with a brest stroker which worked out well as he seemed to scare everyone else away from the lane(or was that me). Getting there but still slow as hell.

5.54 mile run in 42.02, 7.35 min/miles
    The groin was still feeling a little off so I had planned about 3 miles but I took a wrong turn in Sandymount and ended up doing over 5. I took it fairly handy and the groin felt alright afterwards.

21.9km commute

Week total 13.5 hours without commute/17.5 with
    Not a bad week. Misse a few runs with the groin and one bike because I was tired. The groin feels ok now so hopefully I can get the runs in this week.

Tuesday

5.6 mile run in 39.23, 7.01 min/miles
    Lunch time run. Took it fairly handy as the groin is still not 100%.

21.9km commute + 13km spin
    I had planned to do about 50k after work but my magicshine light stopped working and I was left in total darkness on a busy road after nearly one lap of the strawberry beds. I headed home fairly pissed off.

Wednesday

2,700m swimming
    5 x 100, 500, 5 x 100, 500, 5 x 100, 200 easy

Concentrating on dropping my head deeper.

5.6 mile run in 36.06, 6.26 min/miles.
    My legs felt fairly fatigued cycling in to work today and my groin is still a little off so I did the smart thing and pushed the pace. The first mile was nice and fast with a gradual decline and the wind at my back. I was pushing it nicely but not too hard. The last half mile was a slog into the strong wind but I'm glad I got through it in a fairly decent time. My groin is getting better slowly and running doesn't seem to set the recovery back. I used to land on the outside of my feet and was a forefoot striker but I'm trying to change to a mid foot and land more central on my feet. It helps with my groin anyway and relieves any pain.

21.9km commute

Thursday

5.6 mile run in 37.30, 6.41 min/miles
    I ran this at sweet spot pace, that nice pace where your breathing comfortably but on the edge.

21.9km commute
    I wanted to get out this evening or on the turbo but I was knackered again so took the rest. I'm not dealing well with having to do sessions after work, maybe the running isn't helping, but I'm going to have to prioritise the 2 bike sessions on tuesday and thursday next week. Maybe I'll do them before work.

Friday
    2,700m swim
    5 x 100m with 10 seconds rest, 5 x 400m with 20 seconds rest, 4 x 50m(2 hard, 2 easy)
    I'm still not using the clock as that would be depressing but I'm improving.

5.6 mile easy run in 42.21, 7.33 min/miles
    Nice easy run today. Bloody gusty though and I had to stop a couple of times so I wouldn't be blown over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Feck sakes, Eval Kaneval wouldn't have a look in!!
    Seems like you're back on track after your stunts! Good stuff.
    Great training.

Saturday

115.11km club spin in 4.13.11, 27.4km/hr
    Wet miserable day and there was only 3 out due to injuries and pussyness. We took a hilly route around the lakes in Blessington and a bit around Kildare. My hands were suffering from the cold and wet in the last hour.

Sunday

21.6km spin in 1.02.15, 21.6km/hr
    I was just going to run today but I've missed a couple of bike sessions so I did a BRIC. One lap of the strawberry beds then 10 repeats of somerton lane. I managed to stay seated for them all and pushed a bigger gear for the last one. It was probably a bit easier than it should have been due to a tail wind but it wasn't easy all the same.

8.61 mile run in 1.03.12, 7.20 min/miles
    Windy day . Kept the cadence high into the wind. Not the planned 13 miler LSR but the bike is the priority at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

You are cycling lots man, might put it up to cunavalos in the challenge! Good training going on there :)

Just over 13 hours training for the week. 17 including commuting. I missed 2 bike sessions so hopefully I can get them in this week.
    Weight in no 5 has me at 73.7kg which is going in the right direction again. I've been eating a lot late in the evening the past week so I thought I may have put some on. Good week for the running. Still a minor niggle going on with the groin but its improving daily. I've a plan for the next week so hopefully I can stick to it and get all the sessions in. Dilemma number 1, 6am swim or the super bowl?
    You are cycling lots man, might put it up to cunavalos in the challenge! Good training going on there :)
    I'll get murdered in the Gorey if I don't put the work in now. Hopefully cunavalos doesn't have any more holidays planned this year.

• Advertisement

Good work Nomadic, what club do you spin with?

Advertisement