Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tri a bit of everything

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Good work Nomadic, what club do you spin with?
    EPIC Mtb. We've a good few hitting the road this year and a 7 man team for the Gorey 3 day which should be good craic.

Monday

4.5 mile run in 33.07, 7.21 min/miles.

Easy run. The plan said 7.30's so I was close enough.

21.9km commute
    My legs are much fresher this week. It must have been the tough MTB session last week that did my legs in.I missed the swim this morning due to trying to stay up for the superbowl which I didn't manage to do either.

Tuesday

5.6 mile run in 37.55, 6.46 min/miles.
    The plan called for 7 min/miles but I'm not sure the person setting the plan knows what he's doing so I threw 2 x 2 mins fast with 1 min recovery into the run. There's no point in doing 2 easy runs together anyway. The second half of the run felt effortless after the bit of pace work.

16.58km hill repeats in 55.04, 18km/hr + 21.9km commute
    My good light is broken so I headed straight to somerton lane to get on with it. No warm up to pad out the mileage.12 x repeats this time, I managed them all seated again. **** you to the 4 **** who didn't dip their headlights for me. I'm going to stop infront of the next person who does it. Its a really narrow twisty road so being blinded is not helping anyone. Cheers to the one person who thanked me for pulling into a driveway to let them past. The little things are appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Fckers not dipping their headlights drives me crazy. What distance is each hill repeat you are doing as i am going to try and do something similiar.

Fckers not dipping their headlights drives me crazy. What distance is each hill repeat you are doing as i am going to try and do something similiar.
    Its only about 500 meters. Its a nice steep hill for repeats with a lovely kick near the top. I'd love to live near some propper hills but its the best one this side of town I think.

nomadic wrote: »
    Its only about 500 meters. Its a nice steep hill for repeats with a lovely kick near the top. I'd love to live near some propper hills but its the best one this side of town I think.

The only reason i ask is i have a steep hill nearby but its about 1.4km in distance. I suppose 4 or 5 repeats would be a good session.

• Advertisement

The only reason i ask is i have a steep hill nearby but its about 1.4km in distance. I suppose 4 or 5 repeats would be a good session.

Yea sounds about right. Maybe add one on each week or 2. Not that I know what i'm talking about or anything. I tend to mostly wing it.

Wednesday

2,600m swim
    the usual 5 x 100 and 500's combo session.

5.6 mile run in 34.20, 6.08 min/miles
    The plan called for a pace run so thats what I did. I've been working on my cadence and I was hitting 92-94 today. That and my slightly changed foot strike seems to help lighten the load and hopefully I'll have no more injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Wednesday
    5.6 mile run in 34.20, 6.08 min/miles
    The plan called for a pace run so thats what I did. I've been working on my cadence and I was hitting 92-94 today. That and my slightly changed foot strike seems to help lighten the load and hopefully I'll have no more injuries.

Thats quick! How did the 92-94 feel? I'm kind of stuck at 88 and it drops to 86 easily if I switch off but maybe if I were to push hard it would be higher. How have you been working on the cadence?

Thats quick! How did the 92-94 feel? I'm kind of stuck at 88 and it drops to 86 easily if I switch off but maybe if I were to push hard it would be higher. How have you been working on the cadence?
    Yea I'm fairly surprised at the pace myself. The cadence feels fairly easy actually. I think running felt harder when I was taking longer strides. I've only really looked at cadence for the last few weeks but upping the cadence on the slower runs was probably the key. Its hard to run slower with a high cadence, bit like taking baby steps. I don't really know how to say how I've been working on it, just moving the legs quicker with less effort I suppose.
    I not sure any of that makes sense...

Thursday

4.5 mile run in 32.18, 7.10 min/miles
    An easy run trying to keep the cadence up, A little faster than I planned. I'll drop the cadence a little for the next easy run.

Friday

2,500m swim
    I attempted a pyramid set but the lane was really busy so it ended up all over the place with me stopping to let people through.

5.6 mile run in 36.36, 6.32 min/miles
    Fartlek run. Bits easy, bits at 5 mile pace and small bits all out. Good run.

Saturday

105.61 km club spin in 3.26.25, 30.9km/hr
    We had a big group at times, about 14 I think so the pace was nice and fast at times. Great day for a spin. I got dropped on the last climb, legs just didn't have it but I felt ok.

Sunday

3 hour club MTB spin
    Another great day to be out on the bike. We hit Djouce again. My first time doing the climb up Maulin which is savage. Good spin.

12.15 hours for the week(16 with commuting).
    I missed a swim and a bike session this week but it wasn't a bad week. I may need to shift some things around to make sure I get out on the bike more, the road season is starting in 2 weeks and I've lots of work to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

I may need to shift some things around to make sure I get out on the bike more, the road season is starting in 2 weeks and I've lots of work to do.

Hey Nomadic. I would worry too much you are getting out on the MTB and that will stand to you greatly when you hit the road. What road races are you planning on doing? I am very interested on doing some this year myself.

Hey Nomadic. I would worry too much you are getting out on the MTB and that will stand to you greatly when you hit the road. What road races are you planning on doing? I am very interested on doing some this year myself.
    I don't care what bike I'm on once I'm getting out at least 4 times a week which isn't happening at the moment. There's pretty much races on every Saturday or Sunday around the Dublin area from about 3 weeks time so there's plenty of races to chose from. https://www.google.com/calendar/hosted/cyclingireland.net/embed?src=road@cyclingireland.net&ctz=Europe/Dublin&gsessionid=OK

Keep an eye on http://www.irishcycling.com/publish/news/ aswell. There seems to be very little info about races but a bit of googling does the trick. They're great value compared to tri's aswell. Most seem to be €10.

I reckon I'll be racing about once a week between road and mtb from march.

I don't care what bike I'm on once I'm getting out at least 4 times a week which isn't happening at the moment. There's pretty much races on every Saturday or Sunday around the Dublin area from about 3 weeks time so there's plenty of races to chose from. https://www.google.com/calendar/hosted/cyclingireland.net/embed?src=road@cyclingireland.net&ctz=Europe/Dublin&gsessionid=OK

Keep an eye on http://www.irishcycling.com/publish/news/ aswell. There seems to be very little info about races but a bit of googling does the trick. They're great value compared to tri's aswell. Most seem to be €10.

I reckon I'll be racing about once a week between road and mtb from march.

Thanks man thats great. I am renewing my CI licence today so if I want to race in those races I should select @Full Comp@ and cat 'A4', right? Also do you need to have a team kit? I am a member of swords but don't have the kit.

Thanks man thats great. I am renewing my CI licence today so if I want to race in those races I should select @Full Comp@ and cat 'A4', right? Also do you need to have a team kit? I am a member of swords but don't have the kit.

Yea A4 full competition is the one. Club kit isn't needed, you can wear plain gear once there's no adverts or stuff on it.

Yea A4 full competition is the one. Club kit isn't needed, you can wear plain gear once there's no adverts or stuff on it.

Thanks for that dude, might be seeing you at one so.

Monday

2,600m swim
    100's and 500's again. Fairly crap swim, I wasn't feeling it at all. Just got it done.

5.6 mile run in 38.07, 6.48 min/miles
    I planned an easy run, it was easy enough. Pace ended up a little hotter than planned but what ya gonna do. I though I was running about 7.10's. I was feeling really fresh and zipped along with the wind at my back for the first half.

Tuesday

5.6 mile run in 39.36, 7.04 min/miles
    Horrible weather with wind and rain so I took off fairly quickly. I contemplated making it my fast run but decided that was a bad idea so reigned it in a little and got back to the original plan. Did the planned 2 x 2mins hard when I got to the coast. I took it very easy after that with the hard run planned for tomorrow and the evening bike. Some arsehole decided it was funny to beep at me and stick his fingers up at me as I was standing waiting to cross the bridge over the canal to the bemusement of me and another runner. What a complete and utter moron.

13.83 km hill repeats session in 45.39, 18.1km/hr + commute
    It was a major chore to get out and do this but I'm glad I did. 10 repeats of somerton lane. The first 3 were seated. next 7 standing and I attacked it for the last 2. I'll have to read up on the merits of seated vs standing hill repeats. Obviously you work harder standing but I'm sure your working different muscles. It's all of benifit though.

.... 10 repeats of somerton lane. The first 3 were seated. next 7 standing and I attacked it for the last 2. I'll have to read up on the merits of seated vs standing hill repeats. Obviously you work harder standing but I'm sure your working different muscles. It's all of benifit though.

This hill is on my hit list for March and April, drove it last night and it is something else so well done on 10 repeats! I think the standing V sitting is a personal thing. I've tried both methods up the same hill and sitting time was slightly better and took less out of me. But as I said I think its personal pref. Actually I'd say that it is a difficult hill to attack as you have a 90 degree turn into it.

This hill is on my hit list for March and April, drove it last night and it is something else so well done on 10 repeats! I think the standing V sitting is a personal thing. I've tried both methods up the same hill and sitting time was slightly better and took less out of me. But as I said I think its personal pref. Actually I'd say that it is a difficult hill to attack as you have a 90 degree turn into it.
    I'm not sure of the benifit of standing though from a tri point of view. It'll improve climbing out of the saddle obviously but I'd say staying seated will improve overall power. I need to improve both anyway so it makes no difference.

I was only attacking the top bit after the last house where it really kicks up. Attacking the whole thing is well out of my reach at the mo. I was turning at the bottom of the hill and heading straight back up which is really hard to do, kept hitting my foot with the wheel.

Wednesday

2,500m swim
    1-500m pyramid set. Felt better than Monday.

5.6 mile run in 33.25, 5.58 min/miles pace
    I had planned 6 min/miles so delighted to just sneak under.

My running plan at the moment is to just get faster. I'm mainly concentrating on the bike for the next 2 months. I'm doing 5 lunch time runs a week, 1 hard, 2 with a bit of pace thrown in and 2 easy. I know my hard run goes against conventional thought but is there any major problem with smacking one run a week? I'm definitely recovering properly from them and they don't affect my other training. I'd love to hear some opinions on this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Seated hills ftw, builds leg strength.

Seated, controlled, hands on the top of bars and don't rock your hips.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Wednesday

5.6 mile run in 33.25, 5.58 min/miles pace
    I had planned 6 min/miles so delighted to just sneak under.

My running plan at the moment is to just get faster. I'm mainly concentrating on the bike for the next 2 months. I'm doing 5 lunch time runs a week, 1 hard, 2 with a bit of pace thrown in and 2 easy. I know my hard run goes against conventional thought but is there any major problem with smacking one run a week? I'm definitely recovering properly from them and they don't affect my other training. I'd love to hear some opinions on this one.

I'm no expert but you are back at the running now about 6 weeks or so. I wouldn't think a hard and fast run once a week is any harm. Sure if your only getting back into it after being off for a while, then run easy, but once you have a base of a few weeks, I can't see much harm. Only you know how much of a base is needed for you. I suppose it all depends what your training for and how your training for it, eg shotgun is in base and is keeping all runs in Z2 HR and whatever the pace is for him for that HR. He will build intenser runs in in another pahse of his training programme.
    Your after doing that 'training' run in sub 6mins/mile for 5.6miles, and you want to get faster - wow. Seriously, thats some pace as it is. Looking forward to seeing what the pace is when you get faster so! Great running.

Macanri wrote: »
    I'm no expert but you are back at the running now about 6 weeks or so. I wouldn't think a hard and fast run once a week is any harm. Sure if your only getting back into it after being off for a while, then run easy, but once you have a base of a few weeks, I can't see much harm. Only you know how much of a base is needed for you. I suppose it all depends what your training for and how your training for it, eg shotgun is in base and is keeping all runs in Z2 HR and whatever the pace is for him for that HR. He will build intenser runs in in another pahse of his training programme.
    Your after doing that 'training' run in sub 6mins/mile for 5.6miles, and you want to get faster - wow. Seriously, thats some pace as it is. Looking forward to seeing what the pace is when you get faster so! Great running.

Cheers, I'm kinda going with the whole tergat recommended thing of working on 5k-10k before stepping up the distances. Its much easier to work on speed with shorter runs while I'm concentrating on the bike. It definitely muddles the conventional tri training structure, I'm in different places with regard to bike and run training but hopefully it'll come together nicely. I'll probably end up as a big injured/over worked mess in June.

Thursday

4.6 mile run in 33.48, 7.30 min/miles
    Easy run. I felt a bit energyless for the last couple of miles. I was a little hungry starting even after eating a banana. Maybe I didn't eat enough for breakfast but I felt weak. Lots of rice for lunch sorted me out.

47.14km intervals in 1.29.46, 31.5km/hr + commute
    I headed down to the chapelizod to islandbridge road for these. Its just over 4k round trip so lots of turn abouts needed. I did 3 x 10k intervals with 2k rest. My first proper intervals session of the year so some handlebar chewing needed. Knockmaroon hill was a nice warm down.

Friday

4.5 mile run in 30,50, 6.51 min/miles
    Fartlek run. I wasn't sure what to do on this with the duathlon tomorrow. Its only a C race so I didn't want to to alter the plan too much. I just took the slightly shorter route and did it at prescribed pace.

I missed my swim this morning. I was knackered when the alarm went off at 5.30 so any little excuse had me turning over. I used the race tomorrow as the excuse. I had a crap sleep for the next 2 hours so that'll teach me.

Friday

4.5 mile run in 30,50, 6.51 min/miles
    Fartlek run. I wasn't sure what to do on this with the duathlon tomorrow. Its only a C race so I didn't want to to alter the plan too much. I just took the slightly shorter route and did it at prescribed pace.

I missed my swim this morning. I was knackered when the alarm went off at 5.30 so any little excuse had me turning over. I used the race tomorrow as the excuse. I had a crap sleep for the next 2 hours so that'll teach me.

Lol i call that the "guilt sleep"

Saturday

Fingal Tri Club Duathlon + 75km warm up and down
    Perfect weather for a race this morning. I eventually got there after google maps sent me down some tiny back roads. First run went grand. The run was an out and back. The first 700m were flat then we hit a sizeable hill for the next 500m, turned around and back to transition. I was 10ish at the top of the hill then picked off a few as I ran like a lunatic down the hill. I came into transition in about 6th.

2.5k in 8.38

Transition went grand. My first time mounting with the shoes attached to the pedals and it went smooth. I think I was about 3rd out of transition. I lost my bike computer about 100m into the bike. I hit the front of the bike after a couple of k and stayed there for a couple more. I was passed by 2(who were legal) and decided to (legally)hang on behind them for a bit of a rest. I was then passed by a group turning the last left hander on the first lap. The group swamped the 2 in front and the bike was a mess from there to the finish. I did my best to not get involved and tried to stay legal behind the group for the second lap. I was talking to the marshall lots and he took some numbers down at one stage. I (probably stupidly) tried to pass the whole group in the last 2k to try and get into transition first. I got up to about 3rd but I was then mid group and not getting to the first chap so I sat up and drifted to the back again to get legal. Anyhoo into transition about 8th.

20k in 33.58

The last run was cruel. I did my best to shuffle up the hill. I was 4th at the top and stayed there. I tried to kick in the last few hundred meters but I was too far behind so stayed 4th.

2.5k in 9.37

53.15 total with penalty

Everyone seemed to be about a minute slower on the second run so not too displeased with that. I'm not sure it was a full 5k but if it was then I'm well pleased with 18.15 with the poxy hill involved.

It turned out that the first 8, including me, got a 1 min penalty. It didn't affect the finishing places though so I stayed in 4th. I think I was very unlucky to be penalised and probably showed some naivety. I should have stayed well clear of the group and not bothered trying to pass it (or maybe I should have just got stuck in like some:rolleyes:). Not everyone was as guilty as some but it was like a draught legal race for most of it. It was my first time in a racing situation like that as well so I'll learn from it.

I was beaten fair and square on the run though so I've nothing to give out about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Great going, unlucky re the penalty. As you say - you live and learn. Some pace on the first 2.5km - 3:27/km :O

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Great going, nomadic, a pain about the penalty though. When you say you lost the bike computer, did it stop working, or did it come off the bike?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Impressive result nomadic, jazus you really legged it like your shoes were on fire. Yeah you live and learn from those bike incidents. Next time better off to stay a good 15m back. Just keeping a group in sight will propel you anyway. NICE scalp too beating Tunney even if he insists he had a belly full of haribos in him :D:D:D

Advertisement