Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tri a bit of everything

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Monday
    Just the commute to recover a bit.

Tuesday

Hill reps session. 41.3km in 1.32.37, 26.7km/hr
    I gave rugged lane a go this week after El D was on about it last week. 1 lap of the strawberry beds to warm up then into 12 reps of rugged lane. Its a totally different hill to Somerton lane. Somerton is a 500m long, steep hill that gets steeper at the top. Rugged lane is 1k end to end, the first 500m is a decent enough hill with a little kick at the end. The last 500m is rolling with an slight incline and a couple of small kicks up. 2 gear hill, small ring first half then into the big ring and hammer it for the second half. It was a V02 max session really. The HR was in the 170's half way then 180's for the sprint at the end. Avg HR 153, max 186. I finished off with a lap to cool down and home via somerton lane.

Somerton is better for pure strength hill training, Rugged for sprinting training. Good to have 2 hills for different purposes so close.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

nomadic wrote: »
    Monday
    Just the commute to recover a bit.

Tuesday

Hill reps session. 41.3km in 1.32.37, 26.7km/hr
    I gave rugged lane a go this week after El D was on about it last week. 1 lap of the strawberry beds to warm up then into 12 reps of rugged lane. Its a totally different hill to Somerton lane. Somerton is a 500m long, steep hill that gets steeper at the top. Rugged lane is 1k end to end, the first 500m is a decent enough hill with a little kick at the end. The last 500m is rolling with an slight incline and a couple of small kicks up. 2 gear hill, small ring first half then into the big ring and hammer it for the second half. It was a V02 max session really. The HR was in the 170's half way then 180's for the sprint at the end. Avg HR 153, max 186. I finished off with a lap to cool down and home via somerton lane.

Somerton is better for pure strength hill training, Rugged for sprinting training. Good to have 2 hills for different purposes so close.

Nice report dude, I think during the summer I will keep doing hill reps. I was thinking of keeping up FTP stuff on the turbo but really I'd be better off out in the fresh air going up and down these hills on a Monday evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Nice hills session Nomadic you are flying on all fronts.

Wednesday
    56.4km group spin in 1.39.38, 33.9km/hr
    The pace was handy enough for the most part down in Naas again tonight. There was a nice injection of pace for a few km in the middle and the final 7km race at the end was good. Avg HR 141, max 189. Thats my highest recorded HR on the bike so far. I hit that on the sprint at the end.

Thursday

67.2km spin in 2.01.00, 33.3km/hr
    It was a lovely evening for a spin so I did the Summerhill - Kilcock route, same as saturday. The wind was a little kinder tonight, head wind out to Summerhill made me work early on but the avg heart rate dropped from then on home. Avg HR 153, max 172. The legs were sore starting and will be bloody painfull tomorrow but its a day off anyway. 2 races at the weekend then its into taper mode. I'm planning 75% and 50% volume taper weeks. I'll have a look at Friel again but I think thats about right.

• Advertisement

Wednesday
    56.4km group spin in 1.39.38, 33.9km/hr
    The pace was handy enough for the most part down in Naas again tonight. There was a nice injection of pace for a few km in the middle and the final 7km race at the end was good. Avg HR 141, max 189. Thats my highest recorded HR on the bike so far. I hit that on the sprint at the end.

What group do you this spin with Nomadic?

The Summerhill - Kilkock route is one I like to do myself, not doin enough on the bike at the moment though. Nice high HR on the bike there :eek:

What group do you this spin with Nomadic?

The Summerhill - Kilkock route is one I like to do myself, not doin enough on the bike at the moment though. Nice high HR on the bike there :eek:

Its just a mish mash of mostly Epic riders and other A2/A3 heads from Naas.

Saturday

Peter Bidwell Memorial, Drogheda
    This one was a handicapped race, 8 laps totalling 50km on a nice lumpy closed road circuit. I have no Idea what the handicap was, the a3's and a4's started together and it never really happen as regards driving it on. It went in pulse and waves of speed then easy. The a1/a2 break of about 20 caught us with 2 laps to go and it finished in a bunch sprint. I did a bit of work early on. I had planned to sit in and wait until we were caught but that went out the window again. I actually was on the front at one point at the end of the second lap and I looked around and I somehow had about a 100m gap. No idea how that happened. I didn't bother letting it go to my head and let myself get sucked back in fairly quickly.

I had a moment of sense and dropped into the bunch for a lap or so with about 3 laps to go until we were caught by the a1/A2's. I was on the inside when this happened and I wanted to get out fairly snappy. The bunch got a little all over the place as the pace upped a bit. I managed to get onto the outside and I got up near the front. I though a split might happen so I jumped on a few of the a1/a2's as they jumped. I spent the second last lap on or near the front hoping to get into a break. It never happened and I kinda blew my lights a little with half a lap to go and drifted to the back fairly quickly. I recover after a couple of km but I was at the back at this stage and there wasn't much left so I just rolled in at the back. Really good loop with some nice climbs and it was nice to race on a closed road circuit. I felt strong and hopefully I can carry this into the a3/a4 race tomorrow and be a bit more sensible. I reckon I'm strong enough, I'm just not smart enough yet.

Avg HR 168:eek:, Max 188. Total time 1.16.16, 39km/hr.

Good work today dude. At least you are giving it a go, seems like a lot of A4/A3's are happy just to sit it out until the final sprint. If that is the case it wouldn't be much of a workout. Pity a few A3 riders wouldn't go with you and try to latch onto the back of the A1/A2's even just for 2/3/4km's, that'd be enough to put distance between ye and the rest of the A4/A3's. Best of luck tomorrow.

Are you doing the Coombes/Connor memorial tomorrow? I had planned to do a 60km spin tomorrow so may decide to jump into the a4 albeit keep myself out of trouble.

• Advertisement

Are you doing the Coombes/Connor memorial tomorrow? I had planned to do a 60km spin tomorrow so may decide to jump into the a4 albeit keep myself out of trouble.
    Yea, its a combined A3/A4 so I may see you, EPIC MTB jersey, White Bianchi bike.

Sunday

Coombes Connor Memorial, Drogheda
    This was a mixed A3/A4 race with 5 laps and just over 70km. Big crowd out and a cracking day. I chatted to Jackyback for a while as we rolled down to the start. I promised myself I'd try and be sensible in this one, no doing pointless work on the front, no trying to break on my own. The plan was to keep an eye on breaks and jump on any that looked decent. The first lap got underway and it was hard moving up the bunch, especially on one really narrow road. I was over the far edge of the road at one stage trying to get up top when a huge crater appeared in front of me, luckly a bunnyhop got me over it. I got up near the front on the last turn of the first lap and went for a bit of a break. One chap came with me, he was fairly seasoned and was talking me through it the whole time. Telling me to keep it handy and not blow up, when to go up and over, not to come through too hard. Just the sort of bloke you'd need in a good break. I'd usually just burst myself for a couple of minutes. We got caught after a km or so but it was a good lung opener.

I drifted back into the bunch after that and got a bit too comfortable there. I had planned to get up near the front again on the second last lap and see what happens. A break went at the start of the second last lap and there were a few in it. It worked well and stayed away. I went up to the front on the last lap to do some work to drag it back but there were only a couple of people bothered doing anything so the break stayed away. I finished near the front of the bunch but didn't really bother with a proper sprint. Average HR 154, Max 190.

I need to reassess my tactics again. It was stupid to sit back in the bunch and get dragged around. Up in the top 20 is where I need to be but not on the front. I learn something every race I do, I'll get it right at some point.

421.1km for the week making it my biggest week of cycling ever. No runs or swims however.

Monday
    Just the usual spin in to work. I've 2 weeks before Gorey and the work is done. I'll drop the volume a bit over the next 2 weeks but not too much.

Tuesday

5.6 mile run in 37.56, 6.46 min/miles
    My first run for over a week so I wasn't expecting much. Pushed it a little but not too much. I want to lose a kilo or more over the next 2 weeks so running regularly again should help.

Hilly spin - 44.1km in 1.26.57, 30.4km/hr
    I did 6 half laps of the strawberry beds going up Somerton Lane and down Rugged Lane. I took Somerton Lane at close to race pace. I added in a sprint on each lap too. I started and finished with a lap of the strawberry beds and went home up Rugged lane. Avg HR 154, Max 183.

More good work dude, learning loads and so am I thanks to your excellent reports.

Don't know if you are interested man but the Swords CC summer league (every Weds from tomorrow night until end of Aug) is open to non Swords CC members. Could be a good source of training races, practice tactics and going off the front and stuff.

More good work dude, learning loads and so am I thanks to your excellent reports.

Don't know if you are interested man but the Swords CC summer league (every Weds from tomorrow night until end of Aug) is open to non Swords CC members. Could be a good source of training races, practice tactics and going off the front and stuff.
    I may look into that alright. I've my mtb club league starting next week on thursdays but a road race on Wednesdays would be good. I'll give one of the lads on the cycling forum a PM, cheers.

I may look into that alright. I've my mtb club league starting next week on thursdays but a road race on Wednesdays would be good. I'll give one of the lads on the cycling forum a PM, cheers.

You will find all the info on the league [URL="[url=http://www.swordscc.com]here[/url]"][/url]here too

Wednesday

Naas spin, 54.9km in 1.36.46, 34km/hr
    Tonights first lap was really handy with lots of chatting, just what the doctor ordered. It picked up mid way and again at the end for a decent workout. Avg HR 139, Max 183

Thursday

5.6 mile run in 35.48, 6.23 min/miles
    Lunch time run. Avg HR 168, max 176. I sorted my energy levels out for lunch at last. I need to eat a bit more just before heading out.

32.5km spin in 1.00.46, 32.1km/hr
    No real plan for this. Just went for a spin around the strawberry beds and the park. I did a couple of intervals grabbing hold of the brake cables to get a bit of work in the TT position in. I did a few hills aswell. Blasted up knockmaroon, the lactic really kicks in at the top. Avg HR 153, Max 177

Friday

3.39 mile run in 22.19, 6.34 min/miles

My legs are sore and I wasn't going to bother with a run today but its sunny out and its good to get a bit of fresh air in.

Saturday

22.1km spin, 32.1km/hr
    Just a short spin with a couple of climbs and sprints thrown in to keep me ticking over.

Sunday

Stamullen GP
    This was a 75km race, 4 laps of a loop with a nice big hill. I fancied the look of this during the week and was going to give it a good go. I was doing the usual far too much work on the front on the first lap. A club mate rode up to me and politely told me to cop myself on which I was grateful for.

A break went away at the end of the second lap. A good few in it. I tried to bridge and got close but didn't make it and got swallowed by the bunch again. I pretty much spent the rest of the race trying to get people to work with me so we could get the break back. It was really frustrating as only one other bloke made any effort to work. I pretty much sat up at the end of the third lap as I was leading the bunch far too often with no one coming through. I looked after myself after that sticking around the front but not on the front for too long. The hill on the last lap was tough going and it split the bunch a bit but it came back together again. I got up for 5th in the pointless sprint at the end, so about 17th overall.

A frustrating day overall, I felt strong all through the race. I've got to keep an eye on these breaks more as they go. I'm still not racing terrible smartly either. I know what I should be doing, I just get a rush of blood and do too much some times. I'm feeling good for Gorey next week, should be a good one.

Monday
    Recovery commute

Tuesday

5.6 mile run in 39.26, 7.02 min/miles
    A nice handy run in the sun.

40.8km spin, 31.7km/hr
    4 laps of the Strawberry Beds loop. A sprint thrown in on each lap for good measure. Fairly handy mostly with effort put into the climb. Trying to keep things ticking over with a sprinkling of intensity.

• Advertisement

I was finishing up on my tune up spin today for the big Gorey weekend and some clown ploughed into me on a roundabout. I thought I'd be able to still do it once I got a few stitches in my elbow but its cut down to the bone and in a bit of a mess. I've loads of stitches and I can't bend my arm so I'll have to drop out. Gutted!

I'm going to go down and support the club anyway and drown my sorrows over a few pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Sh!t man, that's cat. Bad luck or what. After all the training you put in for it too.
    That's life, eh.

How long do they reckon before you get the stitches out. Can you run or swim?
    At least the bike training will stand to you later on, at your next bike race or tri.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Sorry to read that, I hope you got all the drivers details... too many tools on the road

Some clowns out there. Sorry to hear you are missing out, have a speedy recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Ah f'uck sake dude thats crap. Sorry to hear you ll miss it but glad to hear it wasnt worse. I had a close call on a roundabout last year - they are a bane. Hope you recover quick and the bike isnt too bad also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

That's sh*te new, nomadic... hope you have a speedy recovery, his/her registration number and a good lawyer ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Crap, sorry to hear this! Hope it mends quick, im picking up my new mtb this week so i'll need some guidance ;-)

Well I had a good weekend spectating down in Gorey. I would have gave anything to have swopped places with the lads as they complained about being wrecked and having shattered legs. It seemed to be fairly savage going. Our big GC hope missed the break on the first day and was probably a bit disapointed with his weekend finishing inside the top 40. The other lads finished in the bunch each day and gave plenty of digs. One lad got dropped near the end of the first stage and again halfway around the third stage so called it a day. I stuffed myself full of crap all weekend and had loads of pints but they tasted fairly bitter. There's always next year.

I'm back to hospital for a check up tomorrow and I reckon the stitches will be there for another week. I can't bend it at all and the bandage is a bit tight, my hand turned blue a few times over the weekend. I'll probably try some one handed cycling in the next day or 2. I'm cracking up not doing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Ah thats crap Damien, just before an A race too. Sorry to hear, hope it mends well and you are back on the horse sooner rather than later. Came across a couple of dopes at roundabout myself lately. Glad you are OK.

• Advertisement

Wednesday

1 hour turbo session
    Thanks to kennyb for the suggestion, a one handed spin would have been a disaster. The commute one handed was a little tricky and i had to take it fairly handy.

I got a great session of progression intervals in on the turbo. 4 x 5 mins easy(HR~140), 5 mins medium(HR ~155), 5 mins hard(HR ~180).
    The hard intervals were bloody torture. The HR rose throught it and I tried to not let it drop at all. They pretty much simulate bridging to breaks which I've had couple of close but unsucessful attempts at this year. HR avg 155, max 187.

My swimming was supposed to restart this week but that won't happen for a couple of weeks now. I'm a little conflicted about hitting tri mode now or staying in cycle mode. I'm defintely going to do swinford but I don't think I'll bother with any others.

Advertisement