Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tri a bit of everything

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Saturday

73km spin in 2.14.11, 32.6km/hr
    Great to get back out on the bike. I still can't bend my arm but you don't need to on the road bike. The elbow is ok once I let go of the bars on bumpy bits. I did the summerhill route, windy out there. HR 155 avg.

Sunday

86.8km spin in 2.39.32, 32.6km/hr
    I extended the usual loop and took in Rathmolyon and Enfield. It was bloody windy, I had to really grind it out for the 10k from Enfield to Kilcock into the wind. HR avg 152, max 174

Monday

69.8km spin in 2.00.45, 34.7km/hr
    The Summerhill loop again today. I had the wind directly behind me on the summerhill road and I think I put a bit more effort in just to take advantage of it. The road to kilcock had a side wind which was ok and the road home was slightly sheltered in places to keep the worst of the wind away. Happy with the pace. HR avg 155, max 177

My elbow looks a bit of a mess. Its cut in a bit of a star shape. I'm back for a check up tomorrow and hopefully get the stitches out. It'll be nice to be able to bend my elbow again. I've picked another 3 day race to replace the Gorey. Its the Rás Dhun na nGall which is on the June bank holiday weekend.http://www.fourmasterscycling.com/contents/en-us/d4.html . It looks like a proper bruser of a race with a hill climb TT and a mountain top finish on the last stage.

Tuesday
    Rest day.

Wednesday
    3 times up 3 rock. 62.4km spin in 2.35.08, 24.1km/hr
    I need to get a proper climbing session in at least once a week. The short hills near by just don't cut it. The 3 rock climb is a beast. 4km with just a couple of short bits that flatten off. Times 15.54, 16.37 and 16.46. Its a harder climb than the TT climb for Ras Dhun Na Ngall so should be good preparation. I did 95% of the first go out of the saddle and nearly puked up my heart at the top. HR Avg 153, max 190 for the spin.

I'm going to concentrate on shedding a few KG's over the next few weeks. 72ish kg's would be nice but will take a lot of work. I'll need to loose about 3kg to get there. My elbow has a bit of float in it now so good enough for out of the saddle stuff.
    http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/33410888

Thursday

31.5km tempo spin in 53.58, 35.1km/hr
    3 Laps around the park at tempo/balls out pace. My right calf treathened to cramp up a few times early on and did just that on the way home. OH the pain! HR avg 167, max 183

Friday
    Rest Day

Saturday
    Newbridge CC Race, The Curragh
    This one ended up a combined A1/A2/A3 race. The A3's got a 45 seconds headstart which lasted about 45 seconds! We had a few km out too the loop then 8 laps and back to the finish. 60.6km in total. The first lap or 2 were messy with half assed breaks all over the place. There was a section with a strong headwind and most of the breaks gave up at that stage. I ended up chasing an A1 wheel at one stage and before I knew it I was unintentionally in a break after about 20km.

There was 4 of us, 2 A1's, an A2 and me. I had to chew the handlebars at times in the first few laps of the race. I lost the wheel on one lap on the long downhill section and had to give it everything for a few km to get back on. I didn't take my turn for a few more km and thought I was done for and was going to get dropped. There was only 30k done, no way could I keep this up for another 30k.

I got back into it and was taking my turn again after a rest. It eased off a bit and I felt confortable after the first few laps. We stayed away until the finish. One chap bridged to us in the last 2km so 5 of us were together. The lads started their plays for the finish, I had nothing and was delighted to roll in 5th behind them. Delighted with 5th and first A3. Thats my first 2 points on the board. It'd be nice to chase 15 for the rest of the season and get upgraded. I'm delighted with my 2 for now though.

I forgot the computer data. 60.6km @ 38.7km/hr. Hr avg 172, max 192(A new high for the bike).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Fantastic stuff on 1st place. It will not be long until your racing in A2.

Edit i forgot to ask what does the avg hr equate to in terms of your % of max, i struggle to get the hr up to anywhere near that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Absolutely savage stuff dude, to be even hang onto some a1 wheels is unreal never mind take your turn. I ve seen a few A1's blow by me in club races and their speed is awesome.

You re obviously flying. congrats on the points.

Edit i forgot to ask what does the avg hr equate to in terms of your % of max, i struggle to get the hr up to anywhere near that.
    192 is the highest I've recorded so 172 is 90% of max. For other races I've averaged in the 150's so yesterday was tough going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Impressive stuff nomadic, well done.

On the HR: Out of interest, what is your Running HRmax?

Sunday

22.9km spin in 41.40, 33.1km/hr
    I had a nasty hangover but managed to get out in the evening to ease my guilt a bit. 2 laps of the strawberry beds. HR avg 158, 181 max.

Macanri wrote: »
    Impressive stuff nomadic, well done.

On the HR: Out of interest, what is your Running HRmax?

Well I haven't worn the HR lots while running. The max I've recorded is 192. I suppose I can go a bit higher that. Running max is supposes to be higher than cycling max I think:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Nice comeback there after your recent injury Nomadic and that win was well deserved. Love the expression 'chewing the handlebars' :D congrats on your 2 points. To lose a wheel and get it back again in that company takes some guts, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

nomadic wrote: »
    Well I haven't worn the HR lots while running. The max I've recorded is 192. I suppose I can go a bit higher that. Running max is supposes to be higher than cycling max I think:confused:

AFAIK, yes, the run HRmax is normally higher than the bike HRmax - AFAIK.

Yea, I love that phrase too "chewing the handle bars" - very vivid description of pure grit the theeth, sparks flying sort of stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Yeah i think the running hr max is 5% higher than cycling from what i recall reading in DF's books.

Nice comeback there after your recent injury Nomadic and that win was well deserved. Love the expression 'chewing the handlebars' :D congrats on your 2 points. To lose a wheel and get it back again in that company takes some guts, well done!

Cheers, it's still counted as a 5th but what odds. Delighted with it. I don't really know who's who in the peloton yet but there was a fairly decent rider or 2 in the break. "Chewing the handlebars" is really apt. I'm sure if any pictures surface I'll be getting my gnaw on.

Not a bad days work from yourself for a non priority race yesterday. I'm looking forward to your Roth performance, all the signs are promising to say the least.

Monday

9km run
    No watch with me so no figures. It felt reasonably good for my first run in 3 weeks. We'll see how far I've slid when I bring the watch the next time. The running plan is to get the speed back in the short term and get some long runs in after the Donegal race. Is 7 weeks long enough to get in sub 1.30 form for Swinford?:confused:

41.5km spin in 1.13.39, 33.8km/hr
    4 laps of the strawberry beds. No real plan, I had a non existant day yesterday so I just got out for a spin. Somerton lane feels fairly handy now, tis a good sign. The wind is obviously helping on this route in the last few days, there's no way I'd normally be hitting that avg speed.
    HR avg 157, max 182

Really sorry to hear the terrible news from the Giro today.

Tuesday

Hills session, 62km
    3 goes up 3 rock again this week. First one 15.09 avg HR 180, 2nd 16.02 avg HR 173 and last one 16.24 didn't get the HR. Good work out again. I'm liking this hill climbing lark in a sadistic way.

Wednesday

5.6 mile run in 36.06, 6.26 min/miles
    Tough enough run this. My legs were fairly sore afterwards. Not a disasterous pace but with a higher HR than usual not surprisingly. Avg HR 172, max 179

32km spin in 1.00.01, 32km/hr
    Handy enough spin, well as handy as I'm going to take a spin. I had to remind myself a few times that it was an easy spin. HR avg 150, max 177.

Thursday
    Club League Race
    My first time on the MTB in about 3 weeks and it showed. I had the elbow padded up and the plan was to try and not fall on it. I ended up falling on it for the first time after about 2 mins and fell on it a couple of more times for good measure during the race. I was abysmal on the downhill and technical bits. I fell off loads but was good one the climbs. I had a bit dicing with the womens nat champ. I kindly fell off a few times to let her get some breathing space. I did pip her on the last climb to the finish though. About 40 mins of hard work all in.

Friday
    5.6 mile run in 36.40, 6.33 min/miles
    This felt a lot easier than Wednesdays run. I threw in a few hundred meters at pace at the end to see could I still run fast. HR avg 166, max 178

Saturday

99.3km hilly spin in 3.44.55, 26.5km/hr
    I took the cruagh, djouce, sally gap route. My first propper hilly long spin for quite a while. The poxy wind was murder up the sally gap. Kippure was taunting me as I cycled past so I doubled back and gave it a lash. First time up it. 3km climb, mostly grand but it kicks at the top and the wind was mental. HR avg 147, max 181

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Saturday

I took the cruagh, djouce, sally gap route. My first propper hilly long spin for quite a while. The poxy wind was murder up the sally gap. Kippure was taunting me as I cycled past so I doubled back and gave it a lash. First time up it. 3km climb, mostly grand but it kicks at the top and the wind was mental. HR avg 147, max 181

Great climb - I'd say it was absolutely brutal yesterday....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Saturday

Those windy days are just for slogging it out. I did the Sally from Roundwood and then into Laragh last Sat. I don't know how I stayed on the bike up there.
    I see you get your HR really high on those bikes

Sunday

Waller Cup, Bohermeen
    Today was an A3 race. 8 laps totaling 77.9km. The lap was basically flat. The strong wind made it tough for any break to stay away and it ended up in a bunch sprint. I had a busy enough day, getting involved in bits and bobs for the first few laps. I sat at the back on the 3rd last lap to recuperate and have a bit of a picnic. I got into a break of about 10 on the last lap but only about 4 of us were working and we were swallowed. I'm crap at asserting my position in bunch sprints and didn't really get to participate in the sprint. It was really narrow too and I'm not a fan of the madness at the end. It was a good race though and was nicely strung out at times.
    77.9km in 1.59.25, 39.1km/hr. HR avg 161, max 183

Izoard wrote: »
    Great climb - I'd say it was absolutely brutal yesterday....

It was ok at the bottom because it was mostly shaded from the wind but the top was mental.
    Abhainn wrote:

I see you get your HR really high on those bikes
    The training is for cycling really so high tempo stuff is important. I've no clue how any of this will cross over for the HIM. I'll probably blow up on the first mile of the run, that's if I survive the swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

Well Nomadic, some impressive reading in this log I see! That Newbridge CC race dude....well done, seriously well done. You must be flying, absolutely flying! You are an animal on the bike it would seem and a bit more experience and next thing you know results like this will be common place.

How is swimming coming along? What you be your first tri this year?

Monday
    Nada

Tuesday
    5.6 mile run in 35.30, 6.20 min/miles
    The usual lunch route. Slight inprovement on last weeks efforts.
    HR avg 170, max 180

41km spin in 1.13.00, 33.7km/hr
    4 laps of the strawberry beds. I had my new wheels out for their first spin tonight. I got some Soul S2's. Their nice and light at 1.33kg so good for a bit of climbing supposidly. It definately felt easier going up somerton lane but maybe thats the placebo.
    HR avg 158, max 181

http://bikesoul.com/2009/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=10

How is swimming coming along? What you be your first tri this year?

Ermmm, its not. I was threatening to head to the pool last night but didn't bother. I haven't swam for about 2 months. The elbow is just about sorted now so no excuses left....

I think Swinford will be my first and only tri this year, maybe I'll do 1 or 2 after that if I get the bug. I've no plan on doing lots of swimming but hopefully I'll get into shape to survive the swim in Swinford.

Wednesday
    5.6 mile run in 36.44, 6.33 min/miles
    This felt fairly tough due to the (just back running after a break) sore calfs from yesterdays run. My HR was lower than yesterday but it felt tougher.
    HR avg 164 max 174

I had planned a hills session on 3 rock but sometimes an unscheduled couch evening is called for.

Thursday
    69.7km spin in 2.04.27, 33.6km/hr
    I gave the club race a miss for a longer spin. The traffic was crap anyway so I probably would have been late.
    HR avg 147, max 168

I had a hour of football on the astro pitch at lunch today too. I've fobbed the lads in work off for weeks but gave in at last.

Friday
    3.39 mile run in 24.16, 7.09 min/miles
    Fairly handy short lunchtime run. Avg HR 146

Saturday
    79km tempo spin 2.19.59, 33.8km/hr
    I did the summerhill-kilcock route and threw in a lap of the strawberry beds at the end. Bloody windy out there, its so frustrating into a headwind.Saw the An Post team floating about Dunboyne and the NZ team flew passed on the summerhill road. Hopefully I'll tie in some or the Ras route for tomorrows spin and see them wizz past.
    HR avg 154, max 174

Sunday
    78.6km spin in 2.28.19, 31.8km/hr
    The Summerhill-Kilcock loop again. I got back to Dunboyne in time for the start of the Ras. Windy stuff for them today.
    HR avg 142, max 167

8.09 mile run in 57.30, 7.06 min/miles
    Unscheduled run. I was driving home from work in the sun and was contemplating another hour on the bike since the spin earlier was fairly junk. I decided on a run instead. The park is closed so it was a tour of Dubin 15 instead. I had eaten before and it took about 5 miles to get into it but I was feeling good at the end.
    HR avg 152 max 163

Monday
    31.9km spin in 58.22, 32.8km/hr
    Just a leg loosener spin, 3 laps of the strawberry beds loop.
    HR avg 148, max 173

Tuesday
    Hills session - 54.2km in 2.05.52, 25.8km/hr
    Back to 3 rock again this evening. I only did 2 reps instead of the planned 3. Lovely evening but I wasn't feeling it at all, at all for some reason. Time to ease up now with my substitute A race coming up in 10 days.
    HR avg 140, max 183

• Advertisement

Wednesday
    5.21 mile run in 34.44, 6.40 min/miles
    Intervals session. Desperately trying to get some speed into the legs before a 5k on saturday. I've been kidding myself thinking I can run at a decent pace without doing any training, pace was fairly brutal tonight. Need to run more.
    HR avg 166, max 183

Advertisement