Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tri a bit of everything

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

Well done yesterday man! You are making a habit now of picking up those cheques ;) You are still a newbie to this road racing stuff so no doubt this is only the beginning really of things to come. I think between you and KennyB ye have caught a few of our imaginations regarding road races. Looking forward to one Weds night now myself :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Well done yesterday man! You are making a habit now of picking up those cheques ;) You are still a newbie to this road racing stuff so no doubt this is only the beginning really of things to come. I think between you and KennyB ye have caught a few of our imaginations regarding road races. Looking forward to one Weds night now myself :)
    Likewise with the tri reports, I was almost tempted to go for a swim today!

Monday
    70.3km spin in 2.04.19, 33.9km/hrLovely evening for a spin. I did the Summerhill- Kilcock route. Nothing exceptional to note.
    HR avg 156, max 184

Last 2 weeks
    I think I got one spin in after the last logged one and one run. I also got through a serious amount of drink and food at glastonbury. Back into it now, I've no idea what I'm planning next. Definately a few road races and a couple of mtb races in mind but no big target. I suppose Swinford is out now seeing as I'm not swimming, no point doing it with feck all prep. I'm moving for a new job (yay!) over to england (Boo!) in September so that'll be a bit of a shock to the system. Maybe the Dublin marathon should be the next big goal....

Wednesday
    67.3km spin in 2.03.47, 32.6km/hr
    I got back yesterday after an epic week of debauchery. The first hour of the spin was really tough, my legs were fine but my HR didn't drop below 180 too often, my stomach was in ribbons and my eyes were streaming. I eased it back a little as a HR that high probably isn't healthy. The second hour was much nicer and I actually enjoyed it.
    HR avg 168, max 188

I've another 60k spin planned for this evening with the club. Probably a bad idea rushing back into it with 2 spins but.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Did you enjoy Beyonce?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

nomadic wrote: »
    I'm moving for a new job (yay!) over to england (Boo!) in September so that'll be a bit of a shock to the system.

Congrats on the new job, which part of the country are you moving to?

• Advertisement

catweazle wrote: »
    Did you enjoy Beyonce?

No, but Queens of the Stone Age were deadly.
    Congrats on the new job, which part of the country are you moving to?
    Not sure yet, either Worcester or Swindon.

Wednesday PM
    62km club spin in 1.59.38, 31.1km/hr
    Handy enough spin with the club. Probably just what I needed.
    HR avg 140, max 187

Looks like I might be homeless soon enough. I may have to have temporary logs in 3 different forums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Congrats on the job!! 180hr for an HR - holy god. a few more spins and no doubt you ll get rid of all the crap from the system and be flying it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

Nomadic, I can't believe i've only come across your log this evening - i've read as far back as Donegal, but gonna put some time aside to read the rest (35 pages :eek:, i thought i was doing well with 3).
    I was already well impressed with your results recently before i found out you were mixing in a bit of running & debauchery too! Upgrading to A2 is well within your capabilities. When you went up to collect your 6th place prize in the Christy Mac, I heard a few guys commenting on your ride that day, something along the lines "yer man is very strong". Expect to find yourself a 'marked' man soon;). Best of luck for the rest of the season anyway & congrats on the new job.

Btw, having done a bit of running in the last few years before getting into the bike racing, i have to say your 5k time from Donore is awesome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Not sure yet, either Worcester or Swindon.

You'll be fine in either. I liked Worcester the couple of times I've been and I worked in Wiltshire for a couple of years and really enjoyed my time there. The only place I wouldn't want to work is London.

Good luck.

• Advertisement

Thursday
    Club League MTB race
    Brutal! The club course is as technical as you'll get and I was atrocious once again. I punctured on the second lap then fixed it with a tube that had a slow puncture and properly finished that tube off not long after topping it up on the 3rd lap. The timers had gone home by the time I got back to the finish. I need to get out on the MTB more (or at all)!
    Nomadic, I can't believe i've only come across your log this evening - i've read as far back as Donegal, but gonna put some time aside to read the rest (35 pages :eek:, i thought i was doing well with 3).
    I was already well impressed with your results recently before i found out you were mixing in a bit of running & debauchery too! Upgrading to A2 is well within your capabilities. When you went up to collect your 6th place prize in the Christy Mac, I heard a few guys commenting on your ride that day, something along the lines "yer man is very strong". Expect to find yourself a 'marked' man soon;). Best of luck for the rest of the season anyway & congrats on the new job.
    Plenty of sports jumping done in the last 2 years. I'd love to get up to A2 but I think I'll run out of races. I might see you down on Sunday if your going.
    You'll be fine in either. I liked Worcester the couple of times I've been and I worked in Wiltshire for a couple of years and really enjoyed my time there. The only place I wouldn't want to work is London.

Good luck.
    Yea Worcester seems nice, I was over there last week for the interview. I've no idea about Swindon but I've been told Worcester should be my preferred option. I think I'll have to do stints in both at some stage anyway. I wouldn't fancy London, I've a few mates who moved there recently so I can head to them the odd weekend and not have to live and work there.

Friday

5.6 mile run in 37.30, 6.41 min/miles
    I set off at a pace I though was sustainable but was struggling about half way. I finished at a plod. Surprised at the avg pace. Must have went off quicker than I thought. HR still elivated.
    HR avg 170

Saturday

31.7km spin in 57.05, 33.4km/hr
    3 laps of the strawberry beds loop. My legs were feeling the previous days and were a bit sore. Stupid 2 weeks off! Its the Leinster Championships down in Bunclody tomorrow so I took it handy today. Well I went hard for the first lap but reminded myself that wrecking myself was pointless. I struggled up the climb each lap in gears that I usually cruise up it in. Heart rate still too high. It'll probably take a few weeks to get back to where I was. I'll give tomorrow a good lash anyway.
    HR avg 164, max 187

Sunday
    A3 Leinster Championships, Bunclody
    I was looking forward to this as it was my first A3 only race in a while. The course was 3 laps of a 26km(?) draggy loop, over 80km in the end. It probably suited me a bit, there were no steep bits but the drags were long. I took off as soon as the race started, for the craic more so than anything else. I got into a break after about 4k and we were down the road for about 10km. The break was working horribly though, really disorganised. Some people sitting in, some coming through too strong, all over the place really. We were reeled in at about 14k. I went with everything or bridge to everything that was threatening during the race. Probably a bit stupid but I only really had about 5 mins where I sat in and rested.

The bunch didn't really let any break of a significant size go too far. None of the breaks were working well together anyway. Coming up to the end of the second lap I got away with the eventual winner and one of his club mates. I let them do all the work and tagged along. We were close to being caught so myself and the winners clubmate sat up. The winner plugged away on his own and TT'd it for the final 26ish km to win. The bunch was never far from him and I got to within 20m of him a couple of times in breaks but the bunch kept chasing down any break but sat up and left him just out in front on his own. Great ride from him though, he was really strong.

I had given it one last lash with about 10km to go. I was reeled in again and I was fairly broken at this stage. I was wondering could I even hang in with the bunch to the finish. The mind demons settled a little and I recovered a bit but when the lads started to go at the 1km sign I had nothing and just rolled in.

Definitely my most active race. Probably stupidly so. I reckon if I had of conserved a little on the last lap the uphill finish would've suited me. Anyway I'm looking forward to getting back in with the A1/A2's. At least they know how to work in a break. I was leading the bunch in the latter stages and no one was coming through to do any work so I eased up a bit. The clown who was sitting up my hole decided to give out to me for not continuing to hammer away. I told him where to go. Surprisingly enough he never bother taking the front to do anything. I thing the fcuker managed to place though, bloody scrubbers.

HR avg 168(including 7km spin back to car). Max 197!(highest recorded by about 5)

Monday

3.39 mile run in 21.06, 6.13 min/miles
    I had a decent spin planned for later so I didn't want the legs to be too sore. Hopefully I'll feel a bit better with another couple of runs under the belt. It felt a bit laboured.
    HR avg 171, max 180

41.1km spin in 1.11.33, 34.4km/hr
    I had planned a long mtb spin but I spent about an hour trying to get some new tyres to seat on the rim without luck (bloody tubeless tyres) . I went for plan b so and did 4 laps of the strawberry beds loop on the road bike. I hammered the whole lot, I felt a bit better going up the hill today. Grand evening for a spin with no wind.
    HR avg 164, max 184

The mtb nationals is in 2 weeks so I better get my act together and get out on the bike. My fitness is good but my skills are shocking. I'm stuck in with the elites too where I'll get a propper hammering.

Tuesday

Mondello Race Series Race 2
    I missed the first one so this was my first race down in Mondello. It was A1/A2/A3/A4 handicapped on a 1.9km circuit, 1 hour plus a few laps. It was good craic racing on the circuit. Cornering was important and getting pedal strokes in where ever possible helped. The heavens opened about half way but it was surprisingly ok, I only noticed one chap coming down.

I had planned to sit in until we were caught by the A1/A2 train. I did a little on the first few laps but sat back and got sucked along after that. We got caught about 30 mins in. I had gone up the front before we were caught so I'd be well positioned. One of the A1's kindly took full advantage of the track and pushed me wide onto the curb and grass. I managed to keep the engine running and rejoined at the back. It was full gas for the rest of the race and pretty strung out the whole time. It was really important to not let wheels drop or you were knackered. The rain made things a little hairy but it was ok. I went from being off the back giving it socks to being off the front and back again. I was oblivious to the amount of laps left, apparently their was a lap board up for the last 5 laps (Its hard to look up when you've a good grip of the bars with your teeth) . A few A1's were off the front and I was in the bunch when I saw the chequered flag. I think I was about 4th or 5th A3. A bit dissapointed that I didn't know the score with laps, I reckon I could have contested the A3 unplaced spot. All the places went to A1's and A2's, there was some savages out tonight.

I deleted my computer info but I think my avg HR was 168 and we did over 40km.

Good to see you are still racing well and placing well Nomadic :)

Wednesday

1 hour MTB spin
    1 hour in the park on the MTB. Gave it a decent wack, new tyres are feeling good with a bit more grip.

Thursday

MTB club League race
    I felt a lot better on the bike tonight for once. Still finding one rooty section difficult but overall I handled the course better. I didn't fall off and I didn't puncture, happy days:)

Friday
    Rest day. I felt like going for a spin but a big one planned for tomorrow so I took it easy.

Saturday

99.2km MTB spin
    I left from home and took the wicklow way out to ballinastoe taking in all the good MTB trails on the way and came back on the road. Just over 6 hours riding time with a 5 min break on top of Djouce to have lunch and take in the view and I stopped in Enniskerry on the way home for water and an ice cream. Great spin, you can't beat nice weather and a big MTB spin. I got a round of applause from a group of walkers as I struggled up Djouce:). Loads of friendly people out today.

Sunday

31.6km spin in 57.13, 33.2km/hr
    Only a short spin for today after a big one yesterday. 3 laps of the strawbery beds loop. Took her handy enough, felt good on the climb and bounced up it.
    HR avg 153, max 181

Monday

69.1km spin in 1.56.22, 35.6km/hr
    Summerhill - Kilcock route. Perfect evening for a spin. Not a puff of wind meant it was a pleasure in all directions. My mood was dampened a bit with a puncture outside Maynooth, bloody side of the tyre ripped thanks to some new age road "repairs".
    HR avg 155, max 177

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

Sunday

31.6km spin in 57.13, 33.2km/hr
    Only a short spin for today after a big one yesterday. 3 laps of the strawbery beds loop. Took her handy enough, felt good on the climb and bounced up it.
    HR avg 153, max 181

33.2kph avg for an hour on your own is pretty impressive for a 'handy spin' :). Do you mind me asking what the Strawberry beds loop is? I think I remember you saying Somerton lane was involved, but do you go right or left then at the top?

33.2kph avg for an hour on your own is pretty impressive for a 'handy spin' :). Do you mind me asking what the Strawberry beds loop is? I think I remember you saying Somerton lane was involved, but do you go right or left then at the top?
    I find it hard to go really "handy", well impossible really. That's what the commute is for. So "fairly handy" means not balls out:)

I go left past the hotel and down past luttrellstown, westmanstown and back along the strawberry beds. Just short of 10km.

I find it hard to go really "handy", well impossible really. That's what the commute is for. So "fairly handy" means not balls out:)

I go left past the hotel and down past luttrellstown, westmanstown and back along the strawberry beds. Just short of 10km.

Nomaic question - Is the only hill of note on that route Somerton?

Nomaic question - Is the only hill of note on that route Somerton?

Yup.

Tuesday
    1 Hour Mtb
    1 hour in the park.

Wednesday
    31.4km spin
    Lovely evening so hit the park on the road bike. Home via knockmaroon and somerton.32.8km/hr HR avg 147, max 181.

Thursday
    Club League MTB
    Probably my best effort this summer. Getting the feel for the bike at last. Still fairly slow though.

Friday
    rest

Saturday
    Nationals mtb XC course practice
    The nationals is tomorrow out in Bray so I headed out today for a few practice laps. Great course but doesn't really suit me. No long climbs and fairly techy. Excuses in already! I'm in with the elites so I'm prepared for a hammering.

Sunday

Irish XC MTB National Championships
    The nationals has a change of categories to the NPS so I could either drop down a level and race S3 or step up and race Elite. Dropping down wasn't an option really. The aim was to not finish last and not get lapped(race over if you get lapped). The course didn't really suit me, fairly technical and no long climbs. We had 5 laps to do. I started at the back of the field of 27. I made a few places at the start before we headed into the singletrack where passing was impossible. I got to the first steep climb and took a different line to everyone else, the rear wheels started spinning so I had to hop off and run a bit. That put me in last and lost about 20 seconds. I caught 2nd last at the end of the 1st lap and had a good dice with the next lad up. I burned him off on the second lap and it was a lonely race after that. I had a couple of targets not too far ahead but didn't get too close. I had a couple of offs when I was wrecked and the lads ahead disappeared. I spent the 4th lap looking behind me hoping not to get lapped. I didn't thankfully and just tried to get a good quick last lap in. I finished 20th of 21 finishers and was 20 mins after 1st. Happy with my day though, I think I did as well as I could have. My lap times were
    1st:20.28 , 2nd:20.27 , 3rd:21.20 , 4th:22.20 , 5th:22:31 ,
    Total 1:47:06

3 time Olympian Robin Seymour won it by 3 mins to take about his 12th nationals in a row, bit of a beast and he's 40 now. No one can get close to him.

Sunday

Irish XC MTB National Championships
    The nationals has a change of categories to the NPS so I could either drop down a level and race S3 or step up and race Elite. Dropping down wasn't an option really. The aim was to not finish last and not get lapped(race over if you get lapped). The course didn't really suit me, fairly technical and no long climbs. We had 5 laps to do. I started at the back of the field of 27. I made a few places at the start before we headed into the singletrack where passing was impossible. I got to the first steep climb and took a different line to everyone else, the rear wheels started spinning so I had to hop off and run a bit. That put me in last and lost about 20 seconds. I caught 2nd last at the end of the 1st lap and had a good dice with the next lad up. I burned him off on the second lap and it was a lonely race after that. I had a couple of targets not too far ahead but didn't get too close. I had a couple of offs when I was wrecked and the lads ahead disappeared. I spent the 4th lap looking behind me hoping not to get lapped. I didn't thankfully and just tried to get a good quick last lap in. I finished 20th of 21 finishers and was 20 mins after 1st. Happy with my day though, I think I did as well as I could have. My lap times were
    1st:20.28 , 2nd:20.27 , 3rd:21.20 , 4th:22.20 , 5th:22:31 ,
    Total 1:47:06

3 time Olympian Robin Seymour won it by 3 mins to take about his 12th nationals in a row, bit of a beast and he's 40 now. No one can get close to him.

Sounds like a gutsy performance, mixing it with the big boys will certainly stand to you-fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Monday

69.1km spin in 1.56.22, 35.6km/hr
    Summerhill - Kilcock route. Perfect evening for a spin. Not a puff of wind meant it was a pleasure in all directions. My mood was dampened a bit with a puncture outside Maynooth, bloody side of the tyre ripped thanks to some new age road "repairs".
    HR avg 155, max 177
    Thats a serious cycle on your own dude, even when i give it hammer and thongs for that sort of distance i can only manage 33kmph. Id struggle to break 35kmph over 20km - seriously impressed esp after your debauchery previously!

Monday
    Rest day. Sundays race left me fairly battered. Not a road race sore legs battered, more a full body battering.

Tuesday

86.8km spin in 2.36.38, 33.2km/hr
    I took the extended loop tonight out to Rathmolyn and back via Enfield. Comfortable pace. My left knee was a bit sore last week and a bit sore on Sunday. It's not sore today but I think it could be a bit swolen or maybe im imagining it.
    HR avg 144, max 170

• Advertisement

Wednesday

41.4km spin in 1.16.16, 32.6km/hr
    4 laps of the Strawberry Beds loop. I really need to structure my training rather than going out and hammering it etc. Intervals definately need to make an appearance. I tried to introduce intervals in this. They were probably a bit short and I didn't do enough but its a start. I hammered the section from the bottom of somerton lane until the lights at the football pitches on each lap, about 2km.
    HR avg 148, max 183.

Thursday

Club MTB league
    I tried to go on the first climb with one of the lads but my thighs started screaming at me straight away so I took it handy enough for the first 2 laps. The womens Nat Champ passed me on the last lap so I stuck to her wheel to get a bit of a race in. I'm definately learning how to ride the mtb properly again. I tend to mash the pedals which is a disaster for mtb, especially rooty and loose bits.

Advertisement