Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tri a bit of everything

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

2,400m swim this morning.
    200m warm up
    2,000m straight in 42.30
    200m bilateral breathing

Took 500m or so to get into the groove but my stroke stayed together for the rest of the 2,000m so happy with that. My stamina seems ok so maybe I need to do more(any!) drills to work on my stroke.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

This is almost like a swimming log! What is your A goal this year nomadic?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I was wondering when this lad would get your full attention MCOS, he is relentlessly climbing up the swim challenge. All the more impressive too as he is not a strong swimmer like yourself or interested. You better make sure you are still getting up in the morning or he will chase you down MCOS

As an aside and sorry for hogging your log Nomadic congrats on reaching the second target in the swim shotgunmcos, I assume you will be pairing yourself off with N-Dawg he is the only one close to your training scores

I know yea. I need to get my groin sorted so I can balance the training out.

I don't really know as regards an A goal. I just want to get some respectable times/finishes. The carlingford offroad tri is probably where I should do best but I don't have any specific goals. Maybe I have too many goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

There will be some interesting pairings alright ;)

• Advertisement

No training yesterday. Tweeked my groin cycling home from the pub on friday night and it was fairly sore all day.

It was the first round of the leinster xc mtb league today down in wexford. I managed to win the sports race so i'll have to jump up to the expert class for the next race. I'll be fighting it out for last place in that.

Yesterday
    1,500m swim
    Trying to give the groin a rest so did it with no kick. Hard going dragging my legs.

Today
    2,100m swim
    100m warm up
    10 x 200m with 30 seconds rest
    Still resting the groin so no kicking again. A bit easier than yesterday.

My groin is doing my head in. I'm trying to rest it but I tweaked it again today lifting a bag of compost. Grrr

2,000m in the pool earlier.
    10 x 200m with 30 seconds rest. No kicking again.

I've got an appointment with a physio later. I've a feeling that that will be my last training for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

nomadic wrote: »
    2,000m in the pool earlier.
    10 x 200m with 30 seconds rest. No kicking again.

I've got an appointment with a physio later. I've a feeling that that will be my last training for a while.

Hope it goes well for you at the physio chief. You might want to avoid using a pull buoy if you're back swimming soon - holding the buoy in place can tense muscles you need to be resting.

interested wrote: »
    Hope it goes well for you at the physio chief. You might want to avoid using a pull buoy if you're back swimming soon - holding the buoy in place can tense muscles you need to be resting.

I don't have a pull buoy yet. I was just dragging my legs along. Good(ish) news from the physio anyway. I won't be running for 4-6 weeks but there's no reason to stop on the bike or swimming. That'll only give me a couple of weeks running before Fingal but I can live with that.

• Advertisement

2,000m swim this morning.
    500m warm up
    750m
    4 x 100m(50 fast, 50 easy)
    350m (25 fast, 25 easy)

I was back kicking today. My pull felt really strong, the no kicking days during the week seems to have really helped. The 750m was really fast for me so I think I only did 700m.

I had a major rush of blood to the head this morning and entered the Swinford half IM. I hadn't seriously thought about doing anything over olympic distance but enter on the spur of the moment this morning. I'm really looking forward to it now and it gives me something to focus my training on. I'll have to do some reading and get some sort of structure to my training and I'll have to sort my finances and get a bike asap aswell. I've had my eye on one of these for a while
    bianchi-via-nirone-7-xenon-2010-road-bike.jpg

nomadic wrote: »
    I've had my eye on one of these for a while
    bianchi-via-nirone-7-xenon-2010-road-bike.jpg

I think you owe it to yourself to ride that bianchi at swinford - it'd be wrong not to buy it and living on lentils would be fine for a month or two ;)

Yes Nomadic you deserve that bike, while all the college mates are heading off on the beer, you are going to bed early for the morning swim.

I cant think of anyone more deserving of that bike! ;)

Have you any self employed friends, one of the mates bought a 1000 euro Lapierre and only ended up paying 520 for it. About the only good thing the greens have brought in for us triathletes!

catweazle wrote: »
    Yes Nomadic you deserve that bike, while all the college mates are heading off on the beer, you are going to bed early for the morning swim.

I cant think of anyone more deserving of that bike! ;)

Have you any self employed friends, one of the mates bought a 1000 euro Lapierre and only ended up paying 520 for it. About the only good thing the greens have brought in for us triathletes!

Wooh ... hang on a second ... 'college mates' - you're probably already eating lentils if you're at college still ;) buy the bike ... you need it.

Oh I think the bike will be bought alright. It's looking like it'll be a
    few weeks though. I eat quite well due to still living at home with the old pair. One of the few pluses to living at home.

HIM inspired swim this morning.
    3,200m
    200m warm up
    3,000m straight in 61.54

I had planned to do 2,500 but felt good so added 500m. I love doing long swims. No thinking involved, just get in and swim. My stroke was good throughout and I could even sprint for the last 25m so no problems on the stamina front. Hopefully I'll get out on the bike later, All i've done is swim this week.

Thats great swimming you have really come on big time in the pool. Only the Ironmen and Interested are doing that kind of distances

32.6km on the bike earlier. Avg speed bang on 31 km/h.Took the commuter bike for a few laps of the phoenix park. That was the first time i've ever gone out on the road specifically to train. Looking forward to getting a suitable bike.

Sunday
    22k mtb in the park.

Monday
    Seriously hung over so I had a day off.

Today
    10 x 200m
    Horrible swim. Tale end of the hang over I suspect. Felt constantly short of breath.

30k mtb with the club this evening. I went out with the fast lads for the first time tonight and my god it was tough. They weren't even going at their usual fast pace. Really tough but good training.

Yesterday
    2,200m swim
    Can't remember exactly but it included 2 x 750m. One fast, one slow. Quick one came in at 15.07 which I was dissapointed with for some reason although it was a pb.

Today
    I went to the physio again last night. Last week I was told it would be 4 - 6 weeks with no running and last night I got the green light to start running again.:D That was some turn around. Anyway 4 miles this morning. Groin was ok. I'll step up the distances slowly and keep the pace slow for a week or so.
    I went to add my running k's to the challenge table and it turns out I had about 10k too many already logged for some reason so I now have less running k's on the challenge than I did this morning.

22k on the mtb this evening.

• Advertisement

Friday
    Went up to the pool but the elite swimmers had taken over the pool and there was no room for us normal folk.Went for a 11.6k run instead. Easy enough pace again.

Saturday
    6.4k run. Easy pace with about 1k at about 5k pace to test the groin. Felt grand.

Sunday
    Today was the first round of the mtb XC NPS out in slade valley. It was my first race in the expert category and my god it was tough. 4 laps of a 5k course which was about 80% single track. I came 9th out of 20 starters but only 11 finished. Need to pace myself better and get fitter. Good training session though.

Today
    2,700m swim this morning.
    200m warm up
    2,500m straight in 56.02

Took it easy this morning in the pool after a hard day yesterday. 6.4k run afterwards. Lovely weather again so I had to get out and do something. Easy enough once again at about 8.30 - 9 min miles.

2,300m swim this morning.
    200m warm up
    10 x 100m off 2.30
    100m easy
    5 x 200m off 4.30

The first 7 100's came in just under 1.50. then 1.52, 1.51, 1.51. Happy to finish them as I was wrecked after the 7th one. I'll need to reduce the break between them.

30km mtb spin this evening. I went out with the fast lads in the club again and it was another hard spin. I fell a few times and got a few nice scrapes.

1,900m swim earlier. 900m of assorted repeats trying to get myself into the mood but it wasn't happening so I just swam 1,000m straight easy after that.

13.8km run in 70.10. 8.10 min/mile pace.
    I was going to turn around and jack it in after 100m as I have a dead thigh and calf after smashing myself of some rocks last night but i'm glad I didn't as the pain mostly faded.

I felt good on the run as opposed to feeling awful in the water earlier.

20k commute yesterday evening.

2,300m swim this morning.
    100m warm up
    3 x 750m

I wore my newly bought tri shorts for the first time after reading griffin100's log and seeing how much faster he was in the pool without the baggies. I felt a lot faster and i'll be buying some proper swimming shorts soon. The first 750m, which it turns out was actually only 700m, came in at 13.43. The second came in at 14.35 and I took it easy on the third. So I was about 30 seconds quicker than my previous best with the tri shorts.

20km commute yesterday evening.

4,200m swim this morning.
    200m warm up
    4,000m straight in 83.25

I wanted to go green in a bit of style so a long one was in order. I'm definately better suited to the longer swims. It takes me at least 1,000m to get into a good groove and I was quicker over the second half today. My last 750m took 15.03 which is nearly as quick as I did it yesterday. Do ya reckon I'll be allowed do a 2,000m warm up for my sprint tri in a few weeks?:rolleyes:

Well done, the Ironmen will be shifting uncomfortably seeing the 4k straight

Friday Evening
    3k run. Went for an intervals session but my groin let me know that it wasn't ready as I started the second interval so I jogged slowly back to the car.

Saturday
    2.5 hour MTB spin with the club. The trails are dusty dry at the moment and its great to be out in them conditions. Handy pace and we covered about 25km at a guess.

Today
    9.7 mile run in 74.55 mins, 7.40 min/mile pace. Happy with that run. I though I was going about 8 min/mile pace and was pleasantly surprised when I looked at my watch at the end. I took in most of the Great Ireland run course, there's some set up down there for it.

2,000m swim this morning
    400m warm up
    5 x 50m off 1.15
    150m easy
    5 x 100m off 2.15
    100m easy
    10 x (25 fast/25 easy) with 5 seconds rest between each
    100m warm down

50s all came in about 50 seconds. 100's in about 1.55.

4 mile run in 30.55 , 7.38 min/mile pace. I didn't wear socks for this run to get the feet ready for the tri's. Lots of chafing on the insides of both feet.

250m warm up
    6 x 250m off 6.00
    250m warm down

The 250's came in at 4.52, 5.00, 4.56, 5.00, 4.58, 4.56.

66km spin on the mtb this evening. I decided to cycle over to the club spin this evening which adds about 35km to the spin. About 12km of the spin was off road with 2 big climbs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

catweazle wrote: »
    Well done, the Ironmen will be shifting uncomfortably seeing the 4k straight

Damn you nomadic...might have to re-visit the swim coach's "6km per session" nonsense:)

Great swimming!

Advertisement