Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tri a bit of everything

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Izoard wrote: »
    Damn you nomadic...might have to re-visit the swim coach's "6km per session" nonsense:)

Great swimming!
    Cheers, but I wouldn't take any heed of what i'm doing. Making it up as I go along really.

Yesterday
    Rest day. I'm not really planning any rest days but I'll take one when I need one. Feeling drained after yesterdays cycle.
    1,000m swim really easy.

Today
    1,600m swim.
    200m warm up
    10 x 50m off 1.10
    2 x 50 easy
    5 x 100m off 2.10
    200m
    2 x 50m

The 50's all came from 49 - 52. 100's came in at 1.49, 1.52, 1.53, 1.56, 1.52. I had planned to do 750m at the end but after 200m a woman jumped into the lane and started doing breast stroke and I wasn't arsed passing her every 50m so I swam 2 x 50m and got out.

5.2 mile run in 40.15, 7.42 min/mile pace.

I think I might give college a miss this evening and head to the first round of the club league. I've a bit of a stinker of a handicap getting a whole 1 minute headstart on the likes of enduro but it should be good craic.

Yesterday Evening
    Club league rnd 1. Not sure of the distance but 3 laps in about 45 mins. Great stuff with over 60 there. I'm gonna miss the next few rounds until college is finished but i'm looking forward to the next race already.

Today
    2,200m swim
    2 x 100m warm up
    2,000m straight in 46 mins

Fairly horrible swim. I'd planned 3,000m but I felt like a rag doll in the pool and I just wasn't feeling it. That's probably to be expected after 3 sessions yesterday. Lots of assignments to do over the weekend so I'll get plently of rest. :(

Nothing yesterday. Poxy day looking at the computer trying to do an assignment.

10.95 mile run this morning in 1.28.09, 8.03 min/mile pace. Felt nice and fresh after the day off. The few pints of guiness I had last night decided to make a run for it half way through the run and thankfully I was near work so I stopped in for a pit stop.

Only a 20k commute yesterday. I got my assignment finished though.

2,400m swim earlier.
    200m warm up
    10 x 50m on 60
    5 x 200m on 4.00
    5 x 100m on 2.00
    200m warm down

50's came in between 48 - 55. Struggled with the last couple as the recovery time shortened.
    200's came in between 3.48 - 3.52. Felt handy enough.
    100's in between 1.47 - 1.51. Tried to keep the stroke long on these.

I tried sighting for the first time during one of the 200's and it was ok apart from getting a mouthfull of water each time. I swim with my mouth open so that doesn't help. It wasn't any slower than the other 200's so I must be ok at doing it.
    I got a pair swimming jammers and wore them for the first time. Big difference. Bye bye baggies. I was fairly self consious wearing them for the first time and of course the pool change over was running late so I had to stand around the edge of the pool for 5 mins waiting. I suppose I better get used to this tight clothes lark.

Usual tuesday evening 30k mtb spin with the club yesterday. Felt good after the few easy days over the weekend and wasn't a wrecked as usual after this.

4,250m in the pool this morning.
    250m warm up
    4,000m straight in 1.19.54

The NAC is out of bounds for the rest of the week because of the national champs so I got a good swim in today. I went out a little faster on this and came in on 14.44 for the first 750m, just under 40 mins at the 2,000m mark, 60.09 at 3,000m and 70.14 at 3,500m. I pushed it for the last 500m to try get in under 80 mins and got in on 79.54 so happy with that. My arms were feeling it from 2,000m on and were fairly sore by the end. Happy to average (just) under 60 sec per 50m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Must have been the "go faster" shorts, eh?:)

Great time for the 4k!

Izoard wrote: »
    Must have been the "go faster" shorts, eh?:)

Great time for the 4k!
    There is a noticable difference alright.

8.6 mile run this morning in 67.24, 7.50 min/mile pace. I went out a bit quick and my groin needed a stretch after a mile. Groin a bit niggly all day afterwards.
    34km of commuting to work and college.

5.2 mile intervals,total time 39.38, 7.34 min/mile pace.
    An intervals session this morning. 1.8 mile warm up then intervals of random distances. I've no fancy watch so i've no idea how fast of long each interval was. Anyhoo it felt good to get some speed work done.

3 hour mtb spin yesterday. Went out with the group that go at a fairly leasurely pace. Did about 45 mins afterwards on my own at a decent pace. No idea of distance covered.

12.8 mile LSR today in 1.43.04, 8.03 min/mile pace. I haven't learnt my lesson re guinness the night before a LSR and had to make a pit stop again. I got a second wind about 2 miles from the end and felt great finishing although the legs were fairly dead.

• Advertisement

Short brick session this morning. 21.68 km bike in 42.21, average 30.8 km/hr. 3.59 km run in 14.49, 4.02 min/km pace.

That was my first ever brick session. Dissapointed to puncture after 9km on the bike which broke up the bike session. I've been commuting on the bike for the last year and haven't once punctured, i've taken it out 3 times to train on and i've punctured twice:(. There was a run on down the park so the route was a bit all over the place. I felt good on the run afterwards and I feel I could keep that pace for 5km. No real jelly legs or the likes.

It looks like my road bike won't be here in time for the fingal tri which is dissapointing. I had planned to do the Athy sprint but its nearly 60 quid and i'm not paying that for a sprint tri. I've entered the Kilbroney Challenge on the 19th of June instead and that'll be my first ever adventure race. I think I might do the Skerries Olympic tri the weekend after aswell.

2,200m swim earlier.
    300m warm up
    3 x 250m
    750m
    400m warm down

Took a little while to get into the groove after nearly a week out of the pool. 750m came in at 14.09 which is my quickest yet. I don't think i'd be able to get that in the fingal tri in 2 weeks because it seems to take me ages to properly warm up and get the breathing settled.

Usual 30k mtb spin with the club this evening. The group fragmented after the first climb and I managed to hang on with two of the fast lads up the front. I kept with them until we hit the road on the way back and got quickly dropped. Nice headwind on the way back on the road so I got into a bit of an aero position for most of it. Probably makes no difference on an mtb and i'm sure I looked like a tit but sure anyway..
    My fitness has come on a lot since I started going out with the fast group. Hopefully it'll transfer over to the road bike.

1,500m swim this morning.
    200m warm up
    2 x (5 x 50m) off 60
    5 x 100m off 2.00
    200m
    100m

I planned on doing 10 x 50m but was nackered after 5 so took a minutes rest. First 5 came in on 46,48,50,51,53. I went out too fast on the first one. Next 5 all in around 50 - 51.
    Just about managed to get the 100's finished. Had to dig in to do the last one. I had planned to do 5 x 200m but was feeling really drained so I hopped out. Not a great session.

Thursday - Sunday
    I went on a weekend carb loading retreat aka a stag weekend. Months of trying to eat right and keep the drinking to a mimimum and all that hard work gets blown out of the water over one weekend. Burger King, McDonalds , fry up and a pint for breakfast, Jagerbombs a plenty. Not good preparation for my first triathlon in 6 days time.

Today
    600m swim
    What was always going to be a hellish swim was made worse by me forgetting my goggles. My eyes could only hack the 600m.

2,000m swim this morning.
    300m warm up
    2 x (5 x 50m) off 60.
    3 x 250m
    250m kicking
    4 x (25m fast/25m slow)

I set the alarm to get up early this morning to make the 50m pool but I knocked it off when it went off so 25m pool it was again. Still feeling a bit ropey from the weekend and felt nackered half way through.

5.2 mile run in 39.11, 7.30 min/mile pace.
    First run in over a week so just wanted to stretch the legs. I went a bit faster than planned.

I've got the usual club mtb spin later and i'm not sure 3 sessions today is a good idea after the weekend but sure I suppose i've to learn these things the hard way.

Yesterday evening
    32km mtb club spin.
    The pace was a little slower than usual which was fine by me. I was feeling ok as we hit the road on the way back to the cars but with a few km to go I had a bit of a major bonk. I felt like jumping into the bushes for a bit of a snooze only it was pissing it down and freezing. Eventually got back to the car feeling like death. Had a couple of kit kats to get some energy back into me.

Today
    Gave the pool a miss this morning to get some extra zzz's in. Gave my last lecture a miss so I could get a run in this evening.

8.6 miles in 1.10.14, 8.10 min/mile pace.
    My groin is at me again since last week. Not sore but just really tight or something.I think i'd better go for a proper gait analysis to see is it my runners that's causing it. Grand run though but was blowing a bit at the end.

2,200m swim today
    200m warm up
    2,000m straight

I woke up with a bit of a cold this morning but still wanted to get a bit of a swim in. Took it handy enough and came in at 41.09 for the 2,000m. The waves are up for fingal at the weekend and there's 11 people per lane. Should be interesting.

I've eventually given up on the bike I wanted seeing as it's taking forever to get into stock. I ordered it 2 months ago and the delivery date has been pushed back and back week on week. I've gone for the model above the one I was going to get and their not charging me anymore so thats sound enough. Although it's not as nice which is the most important thing:P.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Good luck in Fingal Nomad, remember to stop after 750m.

Have you the new bike for the race or is the mtb

Rest day today. Trying to get rid of the cold.

catweazle wrote: »
    Good luck in Fingal Nomad, remember to stop after 750m.

Have you the new bike for the race or is the mtb

Cheers.
    I'll be on my commute bike which is an old mtb that i've a ridgid fork and slicks on unless a courier arrives at the door in the next few minutes.
    I spent this morning sorting it out and fixing the pile of punctured tubes I have out in the shed.

Actually I just gotten an email from ups saying the bike is in transit. I wonder can I go to a depot somewhere tomorrow to pick it up if it's in the country. Hmmm

• Advertisement

3.8km run this morning. Just a short run to loosen the legs. 3 x ~200m strides. My cold is nearly gone but still a little congested.

37.4km spin on the bike from home up around the course for tomorrow. It seems to be a really fast bike course (not that i've anything to judge it against). No hills and really rolling. Only one stretch of about 300m with a headwind and an uphill drag. I took a wrong turn on the way back to the NAC on one of the roundabouts so hopefully there's stewards at them tomorrow:o.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

good luck tomorrow nomadic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

All the best for Fingal tomorrow man, let her rip.

Bit of a mixed report from this one. I had a bit of a disaster but i'm happy with the day as a whole.

I was in 2 minds this morning about the newly bought saddle bag but I threw it into the car anyway. I saw lots of saddle bags on bikes so I threw it on hoping it wouldn't be needed. I set transtition up and waited for the briefing. Lots of nice bikes about and I was glad to see a couple of other mtb's. I headed in to watch the start of the first wave and it looked a bit of a mess really. One lane looked like they sent the slowest person out first and the first 50m was crazy looking. People everywhere. Lots of near collisions and overtaking mid lane from the off in all of the lanes.

I went to get changed and I was a bit aprehensive after seeing that. "Hopefully the quicker swimmers will be better". Anyway I got to my lane and there were 10 of us. I estimated 14.30 and everyone else was 15+ so I was glad to lead it out. We had a 50m warm up and I snuck in another 75m or so in to try and get warmed up a bit. The swim was hectic from the off and all sense of a correct stroke went out the window. I was breathing every 2 strokes for most of it which isn't what I'd usually do and the arms were feeling it a lot more than in training. One bloke was near enough behind me for most of it and I think he accidentally hit my feet once of twice. I though I felt a propper "get out of my way" slap on the ankles on one lap and I stopped at the wall to let him past but he was a good bit back. I think me kicking the rope was the slap on the ankles:o. I met no traffic until the last 50m and there was no one on the other side of the lane so I went and passed 2 people which went ok. I saw the clock as I ran out to transition and it was on 14.54 so I think I was close to 14.30.

No problems in transition and out on the bike I went. I was going fairly well from the off and passed a few in the few 2-3 km. I passed a guy from wicklow tri on a tt bike and aero helmet and he came past me a few hundred metres later. I decided I was going to have a right old ding dong battle with this chap for the bike leg. He started pulling ahead and I saw why soon enough. The front tyre was on its way down.:mad: I kept going until it was running on the rim then hopped off and fixed it. I was fairly pissed off. Race over after 5 km. I got it sorted eventually with my really small pump but the pressure was fairly low. I was even more determined on the bike now as i'd lost so much time. The rest of the bike went really well. I pushed it really hard and the lactic was flowing. The bike computer reads 20.93km in 37.03, 34.0 km/hr average. That won't take into account the time for the puncture(~5mins) but i'm really pleased with that.

My legs felt the famous wobble for the first time as I dismounted and ran into transition. No problems here again and off out on the run. The first 2 km were tough enough going as I tried to get into a rythm. I suffered with a cramp on my right hand side and rubbing it helped but it didn't really affect my run too much. I had delusions of grandeur before the race that I could trouble the 20 min barrier but I was well fooling myself. I don't know what I did it in but 20 mins is well safe. Going so hard on the bike took it out of me a bit.

I've no idea of times at the moment but i'm fairly happy with the day apart from the puncture. Lots of lessons learnt and I'm looking forward to the next tri.

Just got texted my times. swim: 14.47 (94th), T1:1.35, Cycle: 42.01 (196th), T2: 0.52, Run 21.12(61st).
    Total time 1.20.27(114th).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

You were very unlucky to get the flat on a mtb. Great cycling, you will do some damage when you have the road bike up and running. Breathing every two strokes....I know the feeling although you held your time together very well unlike me.

Well done

catweazle wrote: »
    You were very unlucky to get the flat on a mtb. Great cycling, you will do some damage when you have the road bike up and running. Breathing every two strokes....I know the feeling although you held your time together very well unlike me.

Well done
    Cheers,
    The tyres on the bike are about 4 years old so I should have changed them. I was lucky I got out in front on the swim. It still felt fairly all over the place though and I wouldn't fancy people infront and close behind me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Well done man, that was a great race apart from the puncture, Holy Cow that is some avg spped on the MTB, The Bianchi will just be a streak flying by in the next tri!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

34kmh avg speed on a mtb :eek:

I see good things for you on that Bianchi!

5.2 mile run this morning in 39.37, 7.33 min/mile pace.
    I'm feeling good this morning and no after effects from yesterday. My groin was grand yesterday and perfect today so thats some good news. I may have been over stretching it.
    My exams start this evening so I'll have to try and squeeze some training in somehow over the next 2 weeks..
    34kmh avg speed on a mtb :eek:

I see good things for you on that Bianchi!

Well it was once an mtb but it doesn't really resemble one now. I've done my best to speedify it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Great racing nomadic, shame you got that puncture, you were all set for a really good race otherwise
    Must practice an odd tube change myself

Advertisement