Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tri a bit of everything

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

2,500m swim earlier.
    500m warm up
    6 x 250m off 5.30
    500m warm down

I really struggled with the short warm up on sunday and it usually takes me a little while to get my breathing sorted so I'm going to do at least 500m warm up from now on to get me used to swimming straight off. The warm up was like sunday and was a bit of a struggle breathing wise. Hopefully I'll adapt. The 250's were a bit of a struggle with most in just under 5 but a couple over the 5 min mark.

My new bike arrived today. I only got a short spin in before work and I'm liking it. The position will take some getting used to. I had planned on taking it for a longer spin after work but it was raining and I wasn't getting it wet on its maiden voyage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Thats a good looking bike there - I would prefer the racing red rather than the blue of the other one. Swinford has some long fast flat stretches so get the tri bars sooner rather than later to get used to the position

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Thats a lovely bike there nomadic. That computer on it, I hope it has room for three digits before the decimal:D

Oh, and I like the tea pot!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

nomadic wrote: »
    My new bike arrived today.

Congrats. Cracking bike. Enjoy and you were dead right not to take her out in the rain. If you look after her ... come race day ... she'll look after you.

BikeTent.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

sweet bike nomadic, where did you get it from?

make sure you get a bike fit if you havent already

• Advertisement

46.13km spin this afternoon in 1.26.55, 31.9km/hr avg.
    First proper spin on the bike. 4 and a half laps of a loop around the strawberry beds. http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/ie/clonsilla/235127438886785934
    Its a nice loop with a decent climb thrown in. The bike feels great and I was fairly confortable and spent most of the spin in the drops. I also had my first near crash/comical moment. I haven't come to terms with how far forward your body weight is on the bike. I was going down a hill passing stopped traffic and a car came in the opposite direction so I had to pull in behind a car and stop fairly sharpish. I pulled the brakes and the back end starting lifting off the ground. I managed to unclip my foot as I proceeded to slow motion face plant into the back of a jeep. I think I'll leave the front brake alone from now on.

8.5 mile run this evening in 1.08.26, 8.02 min/mile pace.
    Handy enough run, lovely evening.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    sweet bike nomadic, where did you get it from?

make sure you get a bike fit if you havent already
    I got it from Evans over the water. A bike fit is on the list. Its a fairly long list at this stage. Expensive stuff this triathlon lark.

5.2 mile run in 39.54, 7.36 min mile pace.
    Did this as an intervals session. 1 mile warm up then 6 intervals of about 500m at 5km pace and 300m easy.

60.67 km spin today in 1.58.20, 30.8 kmph avg.
    6 laps of the strawberry beds loop during my break form work.

I wanted to get a LSR in yesterday evening but I got held up late in work so it didn't happen.

3,200m swim this morning.
    200m warm up
    3,000m straight

I got a bit excited when I saw "Guinness World Record" flashing in big writing under the clock when I finished but alas it wasn't for me. Fairly crap swim actually. I'm looking forward to getting the exams over with and getting back into the pool regularly.

92.6km spin in ~4 hours
    Took a bit of a study break to get up the mountains for the first time on the new bike. Nice spin up through Glencullen, Enniskerry, by Djouce and over Sally Gap. Lots of climbing.
    http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/ie/dublin/wicklow/850127482001274970

Lovely evening and there's some great scenery up around the sally gap. Fairly vicious head wind at times though. Descending at over 50 km/hr is some buzz. I managed to snap the wire on the bike computer after 74 km. Average speed was 24.6 km/hr at that stage.

• Advertisement

2,500m swimming earlier
    500m warm up
    6 x 250m
    10 x 25 hard/25 easy

The first 250 was really slow so I didn't bother looking at the clock for the rest. There was a girl in the lane beside me being coached and she was going faster than me on her back with one arm up in the air.:o

13.12 mile run this afternoon in 1.49.31, 8.20 min/mile pace.
    I'd planned to go out at 8.30 pace and I picked it up for the last 3 miles.

I've covered the swinford distances in the last 24 hours so I know at least a sub 24 is on. I've done another u turn and entered Athy sprint today .

Nothing but study yesterday.

5.21 mile tempo run in 36.05 this morning, 6.55 min/mile pace.
    I pushed it fairly hard on this. I was feeling it at about 3 miles but I gave myself a bit of a talking to and pushed on. Last exam today so a few pints will be had later to celebrate.:D

Yesterday

I was a little hung over but got out on the bike for a 30km hammer session in the phoenix park. No bike computer at the minute so I've no numbers.

Today

13.74 mile LSR in 1.55.06, 8.22 min/mile pace.
    I had another bit of a hang over today so left the run until this evening. My groin is back niggling away after a couple of weeks of being quiet:(.

Yesterday

2,100m swim
    500m warm up
    4 x 250m
    10 x 25 fast/25 slow
    100m warm down

Today

2,500m swim
    500m warm up
    1,000m
    2 x 500m

My swimming has gone to the dogs. Very little swimming done during May and its showing. I think my swim fitness was good so it hid the poor technique. I'm lifting my head too much when breathing so I'm going to try sort that out. I should be getting to the pool 4 -5 times a week again so that should help.

33km mtb club spin this evening.
    The usual hard going tuesday training spin. There was no prisoners being taken tonight. I spent most of the spin on my own mid pack trying in vain to chase the fast lads. These spins are great training and I can't imagine getting as good a work out on the road bike. Flat out for 2 hours.

Have you done any open water swims yet, i found my motivation in the pool was dropping myself so getting outdoors for a few sessions was like a breath of fresh air

catweazle wrote: »
    Have you done any open water swims yet, i found my motivation in the pool was dropping myself so getting outdoors for a few sessions was like a breath of fresh air
    Not yet no, I only ordered my wetsuit last week from wiggle and it better bloody get here before the weekend or I'll have to paint myself and pretend I'm wearing a wetsuit.

If you're going OW swimming anywhere in N Dublin give me a shout if you want company.

Macanri wrote: »
    If you're going OW swimming anywhere in N Dublin give me a shout if you want company.
    Will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Great log thanks, serious amount of training.

1,500m swim this morning.
    500m warm up
    4 x 250m

Nice and easy session.

123km spin down to Laragh and back over the Sally Gap. Pretty much the same route as last weeks long spin but I continued on to Laragh and came the other way up to the Sally Gap. Its a handy enough climb, a long drag but nothing too steep.

I was going to enter the duathlon in the park tonight but funds are tight and that €20 will pay for my petrol down to athy. I went down on the way back from wicklow for a gawk anyway. My wetsuit arrived today. It fits perfectly, I think I lost about a kilo trying it on.

• Advertisement

1,000m easy swim this morning.
    I was fairly tired so just went for a relaxing dip.

Club mtb league race this evening.
    I've missed pretty much all of the club league races so fair and I was fairly abysmal tonight. Still tired from yesterday. Terrible lap times.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

nomadic wrote: »
    , I think I lost about a kilo trying it on.
    :D

That was some cycle the other day, no wonder you were tired for the mtb race. Best of luck in Athy, the boards contigent really coming along lately. I reckon you will have a cracker :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Good luck with Athy nomadic
    New wetsuit, new bike - no bother :cool:

2,000m straight swim this morning.

5.2 mile interval run in 40.10, 7.43 min/mile pace.
    My first run since sunday, did 5 intervals of about ~600m at 5k pace.

First open water swim tonight. I met Macanri out at the bull wall. It was about 3 hours after full tide but it was still grand for a swim. It wasn't cold at all really either. We did a few laps between the changing rooms and the red and white shed. We thought we'd done about 800m but Macanri measured the disance on his bike afterwards and it turned out we did 1,500m so happy days.

Great to meet you last night for the OW swim nomadic. It is good to swim in the OW with someones else - alot safer. I was suprised with the distance alright. We were obviously not the first people to swim that stretch of water, as evidenced by the male and female changing rooms which look like they have been there since the early 1900s and the lifeguard cabin. It's amazing what you discover day to day.

Nice meeting you again and I'll give you a shout again next time.

TriAthy Sprint

It was an early rise this morning at 5.30. There was no sign of the forecasted rain so I thought we'd missed it. I arrived at Athy just after 7 and it started lashing. I got registered and sat in the car for an hour hoping the rain would stop. It eased off a fair bit so off to set up transition, my spot was at a nice big puddle. It was still raining a bit so I put my bike shoes and runners into plastic bags to keep them dry.

The rain had pretty much stopped by the time my wave was off at 10.40. The first 200m of the swim was upstream. I'd planned to keep to the left to avoid the stronger current in the middle but that didn't happen and I went straight up the middle for the first 200m. Plenty of arms and feet flying and I swollowed a fair bit of the Barrow but once we reached the turn it spread out a bit and I had clear space for the rest of the swim. I tried to keep the stroke long on the downstream swim and I passed a few before the end. I don't think I'd any major navigation issues either. Out of the swim for T1 and I was seriously dizzy. I'd say I zig zagged up to the bike. I finished the swim in 10.51 so obviously the current helped a lot.

I managed to stay upright in T1 and everything went smooth enough, 1.35. The dizzyness lasted another couple of minutes on the bike. The bike leg went grand. It was wet, but nice and rolling and I passed a few. Only one bloke passed me in the last km but he slowed up about 100m before the last corner to get his feet out of his shoes so I passed him again. I think I'll stay with the tactic of putting the bike shoes on in T1 and taking them off in T2 because it only takes a few seconds that I make up when people a faffing about with their shoes on the bike. Finished the bike in 33.48.

T2 had no major delays, 1.19. I didn't really get the jelly legs at the start of the run. The run course was fine apart from the stupid plastic yolks on the ground for a couple of hundred meters. I decided to run on the grass beside them. The grass was rough as hell but at least I could see the surface, you were hitting random bumps on the plastic things. Only one chap passed me on the run. I saw what I though was the bridge in the town around the corner so I started my final sprint but it wasn't the bridge in the town at all so a bit of a false start there. The bloke passed me just before going over the bridge. I did my best to stay on his sholder but he was too strong. I finished a few meters behind him. Run time was 20.50, better than Fingal but lots of room for improvement.

Overall time was 1.08.25 which I'm very happy with. I think I did as well as I could have. The print off has me in 22nd overall and 7th in age cat but there was plenty of people left to finish at that stage so hopefully i'll be in the top 40-50.

The whole thing was really well run and the sun even came out later on. Nice t-shirt, grub and no problems with the course apart from the plastic things on the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

Well done there speedy! Great time, is that a PB? You did well to run a near sub 20 on that run route man, well done again.

Well done there speedy! Great time, is that a PB? You did well to run a near sub 20 on that run route man, well done again.
    Cheers, Yea a PB alright. Fingal was my only other tri and I punctured on that. I was expecting worse for the run from the reports yesterday. I'm used to slightly uneven stuff from the park anyway.

Oh and great stuff out of you yesterday after the few weeks you've had.

• Advertisement

Nice time and great run, 20.50 is a stormer on that route. I also noticed the great transition time in T1. I was nearly 3 minutes yesterday, well done

Advertisement