Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tri a bit of everything

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Long brick today, 94.61 km bike in 3.41.45, 25.5 km/hr and 5.21 mile run in 39.47, 7.35 min/miles.

I had planned to do this tomorrow but the weather looks crap so I moved it forward. I went out past djouce and over the sally gap on the bike. Its a slightly lumpier route than swinford. I took 3 gels and 3 nutrigrains on the spin. I'll probably take one of each more for swinford.
    I had one more gel at the house while I was getting into the running gear. I went out fairly quickly on the run but was really feeling it after 3 miles. It felt like the pace dropped loads. I had to grind the last 2 miles out and was just hoping to get home without stopping or walking.
    Tough session and shows that I'll have to keep a lid on it for the bike in swinford. It'll be easy to overcook the bike and I could lose some serious time on the run if i'm wrecked.

Yesterday
    Rest day. I wanted to get a swim in but I've had a sore shoulder for the last couple of weeks so wanted to give that a rest.

Today
    2,500m swiming this morning
    500m warm up
    3 x 500m
    500m warm down

Much better swim session. The 3 x 500's all came in between 8.40 - 8.53. I felt fresh and strong in the water today. My last few sessions had been in the 50m pool but I was back in the 25m today. I think I underestimated the difference the 50m pool makes and I was being a bit harsh on myself the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

nomadic wrote: »
    I've had a sore shoulder for the last couple of weeks
    Signs on ya :rolleyes:
    Great training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

nice consistent numbers chief. with the amount of biking and running you're doing in prep for swinford its fairly common that the swim sessions can suffer a little or alot depending on what you've been doing and how much rest you're giving yourself. But time in the pool is still money in the bank sometimes - Ive always found it a very useful form of active recovery. But it is very easy to let the slower rep times get to you.

Thursday evening
    5.21 mile interval run
    My groin started to hurt about 4 miles in so I'll shuffled home.

Friday
    3,000m straight swim in 59.45

23.7 km spin on the bike, 31.2km/hr avg.
    Handy spin, spinning was the order of the day.

Today
    5 mile race series race in the Phoenix park

Race went grand. Usual bit of traffic to contend with for the first 2 miles.
    I think I held back too much as I had loads left in the tank at the end.
    The race was short(4.88 miles) which is really annoying. My PB will have to stay at 37.56 for now.

Finished in 31.54 for the 4.88 miles, 6.32 min/mile pace so about 32.40.

• Advertisement

48.42km spin this morning, 31.1km/hr avg.
    I did a couple of loops around the park and strawberry beds. I'm not sure what intensity I should be working at so it was at about what I want race pace to be next week, maybe a little harder.

Enforced rest day yesterday. My shoulder is still at me and my groin was fairly sore after the 5 miler.

1,500m swim this morning.
    500m warm up
    500m in 9.08
    500m arms only

My shoulder is still sore but I wanted to get a swim in. Its not in agony but I'd rather it was ok for the weekend. I've had ice on it today and I'll stay out of the pool tomorrow.

I got the tri bars today so I spent plenty of time setting them up on the bike and measuring stuff and taking pictures of myself on the bike. I went for a quick lap of the park to test them. Need to raise the saddle more I reckon. Groin is still not 100% so I'll leave the running for another day or so. Its really frustrating not being able to get out and do propper sessions but its better to be safe than sorry.

40.15km spin this afternoon, 32.9 km/hr avg.

I'd planned on a 60k spin but my saddle came loose after 20k so I headed home. This was the first proper spin with the tri bars. I stayed down on them for most of it but I don't think I'm going to go with them for Sunday. I was a little unconfortable after 30k and I've done all my training without them so I'll go without. My shoulder/neck is still sore so I mightn't get another swim in before Sunday. Maybe a quick dip down there on Saturday. My groin seems ok so I'll go for a run tomorrow to see how it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

All the best for your HIM in Swinford nomadic. Looking forward to the report.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Dont worry too much about the swim down there, no real insider knowledge needed. Theres an island in the middle of the lake swim out, around and back, sighting should be easy!

Come over and say hello in the morning, I will be the only guy I think in a Predator Tri suit and a Red Giant TCR and my wife who is doing the swim relay will be giving out to me all morning about how tight her wet suit is, how cold the water is and what the hell is she doing this swim for (first open water swim of the year for her)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Good Luck, enjoy!

1 mile run this morning
    I had an 8 mile confidence boosting run planned but it turned into a 1 mile damp squib. My groin was starting to hurt so I bailed on the run and walked home. I'll leave it until Sunday and hope for the best.

I'll go for a quick spin up the windy gap on saturday and maybe get a quick dip in aswell. Not an ideal pre race week but hopefully the couple of days rest and my shoulder/neck and groin will be right.

catweazle wrote: »
    Dont worry too much about the swim down there, no real insider knowledge needed. Theres an island in the middle of the lake swim out, around and back, sighting should be easy!

Come over and say hello in the morning, I will be the only guy I think in a Predator Tri suit and a Red Giant TCR and my wife who is doing the swim relay will be giving out to me all morning about how tight her wet suit is, how cold the water is and what the hell is she doing this swim for (first open water swim of the year for her)

Will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

Hey Nomadic, good luck in Swinford! Hope it all goes well man, I'm sure you are mad for it to start now at last!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Best of luck in Swinford Nomadic
    That's some first year of tri your having - blistering pace across all your races, qualify for the world championships, and sure just throw in a HIM for good measure - brilliant

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

best of luck dude. Heres to a good day out

45.14 km spin, 26.4 km/hr avg . I took a spin around a part of the bike course for tomorrow. From pontoon over the windy gap down to castlebar and back to pontoon. Its a lovely evening , hopefully its the same tomorrow. Took it nice and handy, the windy gap is a nice little kicker. Lovely breeze blew me back from castlebar to pontoon. My neck is still a bit sore and i've no idea how my groin will be but i'm looking forward to it now. Bring it on!

great day in mayo today. Very well done to swinford tri club. Superbly organised today . finished just under 5.09. Full report to come tomorrow . I'm absolutely wrecked.

Wow what a fantastic time dude, u must be delighted! Looking forward to reading all the reports!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

:eek:F*ck me pink. That is some time. On fire man, you're on fire. Well feckin' done:)

Yesterday was a fantastically well run event. I can't think of any faults with it and its was seriously professionally done for a club that isn't even a year old. Huge congrats and thanks to Swinford tri club. They should easily double the entrants for next year. 101 competitors lined up on the start line with 71 individual and 30 relay teams.
    The results list the individual and relays together but I've just put the splits for the individual below.

Swim 1.85km – 33.30 (18th)

The lake was a great location for the swim. There was plenty of buoys and there was no current. The group was split into 2 groups, red hats for the quicker swimmers and black for the slower ones. This made the start commotion free and it started fairly orderly. I dropped in behind some red hats from the start and drafted until the first buoy. I passed this group then and the next few swimmers were about 15m ahead so I put the hammer down and caught up. I drafted one chap up until the island turn just over half way. He was a better swimmer than me but his navigation was awful and he zigzagged all over the place. I drafted as best I could but didn't follow him on his meandering. I went on my own from the island back to the finish. I'm happy with the swim time.

T1 – 1.52 (20th)

No issues here. Took it a little handier than usual. Socks on and food into the back pocket and away.

Bike 90km – 2.43.35 (12th)

My bike computer measured the bike as 89.58km so close enough. I averaged 32.7km/hr. I had to constantly remind myself to take it easy and found myself pushing too hard at times. The course was fairly hilly with a big climb at about 25km in. I spent a lot of the bike swapping positions with one chap. I'd pass him on the hills but he was quicker on the flats and the downhills on his tri bike. He disappeared into the distance just after castlebar but I got him back in sight just before swinford. He swung a left into swinford and I followed but there were no marshals or signs at the junction (the only junction on the whole course with no marshal) so I gave him a shout and we headed up to the next junction which was the right one. I'd say I lost about 30 seconds so no big deal. I had 4 gels and 3 nutragrain bars on the bike.

T2 – 1.43 (20th)

Took it handy enough again. Maybe too handy. Grabbed some gels and my watch and away.

Run 13.2 miles – 1.48.17 (18th)

I didn't know my time going out on the run but I (wrongly) thought that a sub 5 could be on the cards if I knocked out 5 min/km's. I felt good at the start of the run and the legs were in good shape. There was a really steep hill in the first k which was really cruel. I stopped for a pee about 2 k into the run.I was joined by another runner and he asked me what time I was looking to do and I said I'd be happy with 8 min miles. He told me we were running at 7 min/miles so I bid him fairwell and eased up a bit. I went through 5k in about 23.20 and I was 2.30 under my target pace at about 8k. I knocked the next few k out at about planned pace. Things started to go a bit pair shaped at about 13k. My legs were fine but the rest of me wasn't. The pace gradually got slower and I was really struggling at about 15k. I walked for about 30 seconds but got going again. I knew if I walked again I'd be done for so I really dug in. I was in a bad place and I had to visualise that I was running from home down to the phoenix park. I ran every step of that run to the park in my head. A few passed me in the last few km and one lad was really flying chasing the others down. I asked him for a jockey back(turns out it was Abhainn) . One lad had been up the road from me for awhile and I was slowly gaining on him. I was “running” at about 6 min/kms at this stage. He stopped to walk with 2k to go and I passed him. I felt like I was running on quicksand but the finish line eventually came into sight. The clock was reaching 5.09 so I did a bit of a sprint finish and got in on 5.08.57. I had to lie down for about 5 mins afterwards. I was shattered. I looked like death apparently and my eyes were in the back of my head.

Total – 5.08.57 (12th, 2nd in the 20 -29 age category which I got a nice marble plaque for)

I'm really happy with the time. I'm not sure where it all went wrong with the run. My legs were fine but I suppose I just pushed the body too much. I was inside the top 10 at one stage but I was passed by about 3 in the last few km. It was a great day and I now have even more respect for people who manage a full ironman. Sorry I didn't seek out any of the boards heads before hand. I was busy going over my transition set up about a million times.

• Advertisement

Just caught up on your log Nomadic. First of all congrats on an unreal performance in Athlone and well done on 2nd place in AG. As for yesterday well that was some going and again congrats on 2nd!

Hard to believe that this is your first year in tri :eek: thought I had a decent first year last year, you actually have something to show for it. What distance are you doing in Budapest? If it's OLY then I think we may have a battle on our hands ;)

Just caught up on your log Nomadic. First of all congrats on an unreal performance in Athlone and well done on 2nd place in AG. As for yesterday well that was some going and again congrats on 2nd!

Hard to believe that this is your first year in tri :eek: thought I had a decent first year last year, you actually have something to show for it. What distance are you doing in Budapest? If it's OLY then I think we may have a battle on our hands ;)
    Cheers man. I'd have been well down the pecking order in Athlone if the Euro Champs wasn't on.

I'm down for the sprint in Budapest. I've not done an olympic distance race yet. Maybe Dublin next month. I'm trying to decide between the olympic and super sprint for Dublin. I'd rather do the olympic but the super sprint could be better preparation for Budapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Wow..serious result there! Fantastic HIM numbers...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Cracking result Nomadic, solid throughout too. Well done, you are really progressing nicely in all aspects. Keep up the good work. Very nearly held off Abhainn too, that would have been a nice scalp :)

1,100m swim this morning
    2 x 500m easy
    2 x 25m fast/25m easy

Easy session as I'm still a bit sore in places. I jumped into the jacuzzi afterwards which was nice.

Budapest is firmly in sight now. I think I'm going to do the super sprint at the Dublin City Tri as it'll be perfect preparation 2 weeks before budapest. Probably some major sandbagging going on but budapest is the aim and i'm not sure doing an olympic distance race will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Thats some time nomadic, although i knew you would be quick.

As a matter of interest I know you only have done some sprints before this, how did you find the longer distance. Would you do another one or do you prefer the shorter stuff. Judging from Swinford your time in your first year, you could be really strong at the long distances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Wow :eek:

Serious stuff nomadic - well done

Yesterday
    5.21 mile run in 37.24, 7.09 min/miles.

Nice leg loosening run. My hanstrings were a bit tight going out but this run did the trick.

Today
    23.83 km spin, 31.8 km/hr avg.

I wanted to go out for about 60k but I was still feeling a bit jaded so that would have been counterproductive so I cut it short.

My shoulder is a little sore again so I'm going to stay out of the pool until next week and let it clear up fully.

catweazle wrote: »

As a matter of interest I know you only have done some sprints before this, how did you find the longer distance. Would you do another one or do you prefer the shorter stuff. Judging from Swinford your time in your first year, you could be really strong at the long distances.

I definately enjoyed the race and will probably be back next year now that I've a time to beat. As for preferring the shorter or longer stuff, I enjoyed the test of a HIM and will do one again next year but I won't be going long for a few years yet.

Rest Day yesterday. I was hung over so put the planned tempo run back to today.

8.47km Tempo run this morning

2.31km in 11.30, 4.59 min/km
    3.85km in 15.10, 3.56 min/km
    2.31km in 12.00, 5.12 min/km

I was fairly blowing after the tempo section. I want to be running 19.xx off the bike for Budapest so plenty of faster paced stuff is the plan for the next few weeks.

I was planning on doing a bike race later in cavan but I've bottled it and backed out. I'll probably head down the park for a quick spin after work.

• Advertisement

6 mile run this morning
    I had planned a 14 mile lsr but the niggle I picked up last sunday reared its head so I had to cut it short and hobble home.

Advertisement