Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tri a bit of everything

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Catching up nomadic, belated congrats on last Sunday. Watch those niggles though as a 5hr race does take its toll on the body .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

I've had a very easy week last week so its time to put some hard work in. MCOS's post about junk miles the other day was great and made me realise that I've been doing plenty of junk miles in all 3 disciplines so each session will have a propper focus now. The focus is on going fast now with probably one long session in each discipline a week. I'm going to throw some numbers down for budapest aswell to give me some targets. Swim sub 13, bike 30 and run sub 20 total 1.05ish. Probably ambitious but I think achievable.

Sunday Evening
    30k Intervals session on the bike.
    I went down to the park to do intervals on the loop for the Dublin City Tri. I had my first crash on the first interval. It happened at the corner at the magazine fort. Its a really fast corner 50k+ and there plenty of dust and dirt on it from recent road works. The bike just slid out from under me. No real damage to the bike fortunately, ripped bar tape and saddle. I've some nice road rash on my left hand side. I was bleeding and stuff but there was no proper damage so I finished off the session before going home.
    Anyway I did 3 intervals of about 8k, averaging about 36km/hr. My calf cramped up really badly near the end and I had to jump off and jump around like a loon for a while.

Monday
    2.5 hr Mtb spin with the club around the glenmalure area.
    I haven't been out on the mtb for about a month so good to get back out. Really good climbing session aswell.

Today

1,500m swim
    500 warm up
    500 in 9.19
    500 easy

My sholder is all good now. First time in the pool in a week and I've only had 3 sessions in the last 2 weeks so I'm hoping for some big weeks in the pool over the next few weeks.

146.81km spin around Wicklow in 6.02.46, 24.2km/hr.
    http://www.mapmyrun.com/ride/ireland/clonsilla/777128078012677069
    Nice long spin with plenty of hills. My second time over the Shay Elliott in 2 days.

2,000m swim this morning
    500m warm up
    2 x 500m
    5 x 100m

500's in on 9.41 and 9.36 so either my 500 times from a couple of weeks ago were works of fiction or I was tired today. Hoping it was the tiredness but I felt ok.

8.47km Tempo run this evening

2.31km in 11.30, 4.59 min/km
    3.85km in 15.45, 4.05 min/km
    2.31km in 11.40, 5.03 min/km

Same run as saturday. Tempo was slower than saturday for same effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Jesus you are putting in some serious Bike sessions Nomadic. Hope the grazes aint too bad. I fell off a while back and my hip was too raw to swim for a week, takes a while for the layers of skin to build up again. I plan to use the MTB more next year as its great for climbing practice. Nice targets for Budapest too. Is the DCT course tough/technical. I'm heading up for it and hoping to recce the day before but since it will be Sat afternoon I'd imagine the park will be busy?

Jesus you are putting in some serious Bike sessions Nomadic. Hope the grazes aint too bad. I fell off a while back and my hip was too raw to swim for a week, takes a while for the layers of skin to build up again. I plan to use the MTB more next year as its great for climbing practice. Nice targets for Budapest too. Is the DCT course tough/technical. I'm heading up for it and hoping to recce the day before but since it will be Sat afternoon I'd imagine the park will be busy?
    I got some waterproof hydrocolloid dressings for the hip so swimming is ok.
    I really like the DCT bike route but I would seeing as I train on it loads.There's one nice kicker of a climb for about 200m at the chapelizod gate and a hill at the kyber road for about 700m . There's lots of really fast places aswell and one 2-3km stretch which is a gradual downhill and I love cycling this bit.
    I suppose it would be a little technical by tri standards.
    You'll be grand for a recce on the saturday. There's only a couple of spots where cars/pedestrians could get in your way.

• Advertisement

2,700m swim this morning
    500m warm up
    10 x 50m off 60
    5 x 100m easy
    5 x 100m off 2.00
    5 x 50m kicking
    5 x 25m fast/25m easy
    200m warm down

50s all in between 48-51. 100's in between 1.45 - 1.50.
    Good swim session.

8.6 mile run this evening in 66.21, 7.43 min/mile pace.
    Horrible horrible run. I had just eaten my dinner an hour and a half previous and it sloshed around my stomach from the get go. I will not be doing that again.

1,000m swimming this morning
    500m warm up
    500m assorted

I knew from the warm up that I was struggling a bit. Did a few 50's and 100's and needed ages to recover after each so I hopped out. Previously I would have stayed in and swam to get the mileage in but they would have been junk miles and I'm a junk mile free zone at the moment.

2.31km in 11.40, 5.03 min/km
    3.85km in 15.00, 3.54 min/km
    2.31km in 11.16, 4.53 min/km

Same tempo run again. I was feeling a little sluggish on the warm up but it turned out ok. Much quicker than wednesday and a little quicker than last week.

Short race simulation brick
    14.76km bike in 25.57, 34.2 km/hr and 3.59km run in 14.32, 4.03 min/km.

One lap around the park and home. Tough bike ride, there seemed to be a head wind the whole way around. Quick transition. Happy enough with the pace of the run. Getting there.

I'm off to a wedding for the weekend and I'm going to enjoy my last couple of days on the booze before budapest.

38.9km intervals in the park on the bike.
    I've been hung over all day so the bike was all I could face. I've put the tri bars back on so its time to get used to them. 2 x 8.9k intervals , I reset the bike computer for the second one and averaged 37.2km/hr. That'll give me a benchmark to work off.

1,200m swimming this morning
    500m warm up
    7 x 50m off 60
    350m various

I had planned to do 10 x 50m but I think the weekend endeavors were affecting my breathing and I was gasping after 7. The first one came in at about 45 then the rest 48 - 50 but my kick had gone by the 7th and I was struggling. I swam 350m easy and got out. Maybe I should have persevered but tomorrows another day.

2.31km in 10.40, 4.37 min/km
    3.85km in 14.33, 3.47 min/km
    2.31km in 10.55, 4.44 min/km

My first run with a new pair of runners tonight. I'm too much of a sceptic to say it was all the runners but that was a great run (for me). Same perceived effort as the last few tempos and a good bit quicker. Sub 19 pace which is good. I weigh a kilo more after todays run than I did after Fridays so that pace is a bit of a surprise. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

They're well fast bike and run times, (I know even less about swimming but I'm sure they're equally impressive:)) I was wondering if you were going to start shortening your training and working on your speed. You're really putting in some effort.

They're well fast bike and run times, (I know even less about swimming but I'm sure they're equally impressive:)) I was wondering if you were going to start shortening your training and working on your speed. You're really putting in some effort.
    There's definately nothing impressive about the swimming times.
    I think most of what I did in the last week was aimed at speed work, but yea volume down speed up is the way forward (I still haven't read Friel but I think I get the gist of the periodisation thing).

2,100m swimming this morning
    500m warm up
    3 x 500m
    100m warm down

500's in on 9.14, 9.30 and 9.44. Pushed it hard for the first one and took it easier on the next 2. I've gone gold eventually. I was hoping I'd do it the week of swinford but I got there at last.

31km intervals on the bike this evening
    Did a couple of laps around the strawberry beds with 2 x 11k intervals. The second one averaged 38.8 km/hr but it had an overall decline in elevation of 50m so the pace is no real reflection. I took the uphill bit as the recovery bit. I'm really hating the clip ons when not using them. Make the bike feel horrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Congrats on your swim gold.
    You're doing great training. You will be in top form come Budapest, keep up the good work.

Thursday
    3.7km recovery run , 8 min/mile pace

Friday
    1,750m swim
    Various 50's and 100's.
    I was hung over so it was a fairly crap session.

Saturday
    Nada

Today
    8.5 mile run in 61.17, 7.12 min/mile pace.
    I was feeling energetic and I went out way too fast. The last 2 miles were slow as I was suffering at that stage.

57.87km spin this evening 31.6km/hr avg.
    A couple of laps around the strawberry beds and the park. Couple of hills thrown in for good measure.

Crap few days there. 2 nights drinking and very little done. Back on track today and I'm definately now off the booze until budapest.

2,600m swimming this morning
    1,000m in 20.00
    3 x 500m 9.26, 9.10, 9.35
    100m warm down

I never seem to have fresh legs for swim sessions and my kick always disappears after about 100m. Maybe I should priorities some swim sessions.

I got a lap of Ballinastoe in on the mtb this afternoon. About 14km I think ~1 hour.

1,600m at the pool this morning
    5 x 100m warm up
    5 x 50m off 60
    10 x 25m kicking
    5 x 100m off 2.00
    100m warm down

50's all in around 48-51, 100's all around 1.45 - 1.48. I was fairly crusing for the 100's so surprised they were as quick. The kick repeats beforehand woke my legs up. Just goes to show how much wasted energy goes into the harder effort 100's.

2.31km in 11.00, 4.46 min/km
    3.85km in 14.22, 3.44 min/km
    2.31km in 11.01, 4.46 min/km

The time for this is still going in the right direction. 3 seconds per km off last weeks time.

42.2km intervals spin on the bike this afternoon in the park.
    3 x 7.7km intervals, 37,36.4 and 35.7 km/hr averages. Strong headwind heading up the kyber that I hope isn't there for DCT.

2,000m OW swim at the bull wall this evening.
    I met up with Macanri and Bambatta for an open water swim. It was fairly choppy and tough going against the current. We had 1.97 done when we got back to the changing shelter so we jumped in again to get it up to 2k:). About 37 mins I think. Good to get an OW swim in.

1,200m swim this morning
    5 x 100m warm up
    5 x 50m off 60
    5 x 25 hard/25 easy
    2 x 100m

Nice easy session. Just wanted to go for an easy dip really.

8.47km Tempo run this afternoon

2.31km in 11.04, 4.47 min/km
    3.85km in 14.40, 3.49 min/km
    2.31km in 10.56, 4.44 min/km

2nd tempo session in 3 days was probably not a good idea but I did it anyway. A little slower than tuesday. I'm not doing any interval sessions because every time I seemed to injure my groin was during intervals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

nomadic wrote: »
    42.2km intervals spin on the bike this afternoon in the park.

3 x 7.7km intervals, 37,36.4 and 35.7 km/hr averages. Strong headwind heading up the kyber that I hope isn't there for DCT.

2,000m OW swim at the bull wall this evening.
    I met up with Macanri and Bambatta for an open water swim. It was fairly choppy and tough going against the current. We had 1.97 done when we got back to the changing shelter so we jumped in again to get it up to 2k:). About 37 mins I think. Good to get an OW swim in.

Good to meet up with yourself and bambatta again. The OW swims are lacking from my schedule this year. Good to have the bit of chop on a traininging session - and pray for calmer conditions come race days!:)

• Advertisement

Macanri wrote: »
    Good to meet up with yourself and bambatta again. The OW swims are lacking from my schedule this year. Good to have the bit of chop on a traininging session - and pray for calmer conditions come race days!:)

Yea there good alright. Good race simulation when you get bashed by the waves. That was only my 4th ow training of the summer so I need to do more next year as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭Bambaata

good OW swim last night alright. That was as choppy and tidal as it has ever been for me there! Good hard swim! If ye plan on any future ones in the coming weeks let me know.

Bambaata wrote: »
    good OW swim last night alright. That was as choppy and tidal as it has ever been for me there! Good hard swim! If ye plan on any future ones in the coming weeks let me know.
    Will do, the tides don't really suit for evenings for a couple of weeks but sure I can swim at any time really so whenever your up for it.

2,750m swim this morning.
    500m warm up
    10 x 50m off 60
    100m easy
    2 x 50m kick
    2 x (5 x 100m) off 2.00
    50m
    500m warm down

50's all in between 46 - 49. First set of 100's 1.42 - 1.45. Second set were hurting, first 3 were 1.45, 1.46, 1.46. I was joined in the lane after the third and this interrupted the set. Last 2 had lots of rest in between 1.40, 1.39. My arms were feeling the burn which is always a good sign. My stroke was shocking at times but I just need to keep it long and strong rather than fast and sloppy.

Best weeks swimming for a good while, 10,150m total.
    2 x tough pool sessions, 2 x easy pool sessions and an OW swim.
    Hopefully I'll have a similar week next week.

10m race series race in the park in the morning so I may just relax later. I'm planning 7 min/miles so we'll see how that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

I might join ye on the next OW swim lads if it suits, if that is cool :)

I might join ye on the next OW swim lads if it suits, if that is cool :)
    Yea of course it is. Late in the week before budapest maybe? The only time that tides suit evenings otherwise early.

Yep very early or late suit too. 3 weeks to Buda now so I have to try and fit in a few.

I'd planned to go out at 7 min/miles and see how that went. First 3 miles went perfectly. 6.57, 14.00 and 20.58. I was following a nice redhead girl who had a nice long stride so keeping pace was easy enough. Reluctantly passed her in the 4th mile and ran it and the 5th mile at about 6.45 pace. Got to half way at 34.30. The next 2 miles were at a similar pace to the previous ones. I got chatting to a girl at the end of chesterfield ave and we waffled on for about half a mile. She was planning sub 70 aswell and a sub 3.30 in dublin. We were running well so I'd say she smashed 70. I left her at the bottom of the hill at the magazine fort and I put a bit of a spurt in. I was feeling good and I don't think anyone passed me at all. The last few miles went well. I had enough in the tank to get a good quick finish in over the last hundred meters. I ran the second 5 miles in about 33 mins so a big negative split which is good seeing as the first half is totally flat and much easier than the second half. Finished in 67.31 with a big PB. I bumped into mayoroadrunner from swinford afterwards and chatted for a minute. Nice to meet you again.

I'm in good shape so hopefully I can get another good weeks training in next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Well done on the pb nomadic, all shaping up nicely for you. Looking foward to it all. Maybe us boardsies can do the recce of the course together over there :)

Well done on the pb nomadic, all shaping up nicely for you. Looking foward to it all. Maybe us boardsies can do the recce of the course together over there :)

+1 to that.

• Advertisement

nomadic wrote: »
    I'd planned to go out at 7 min/miles and see how that went. First 3 miles went perfectly. 6.57, 14.00 and 20.58. I was following a nice redhead girl who had a nice long stride so keeping pace was easy enough. Reluctantly passed her in the 4th mile and ran it and the 5th mile at about 6.45 pace. Got to half way at 34.30. The next 2 miles were at a similar pace to the previous ones. I got chatting to a girl at the end of chesterfield ave and we waffled on for about half a mile. She was planning sub 70 aswell and a sub 3.30 in dublin. We were running well so I'd say she smashed 70. I left her at the bottom of the hill at the magazine fort and I put a bit of a spurt in. I was feeling good and I don't think anyone passed me at all. The last few miles went well. I had enough in the tank to get a good quick finish in over the last hundred meters. I ran the second 5 miles in about 33 mins so a big negative split which is good seeing as the first half is totally flat and much easier than the second half. Finished in 67.31 with a big PB. I bumped into mayoroadrunner from swinford afterwards and chatted for a minute. Nice to meet you again.

I'm in good shape so hopefully I can get another good weeks training in next week.

Nicely paced Nomadic, well done on the PB :)

Advertisement