Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tri a bit of everything

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Maybe us boardsies can do the recce of the course together over there :)
    Yea definitely.

Short brick this morning, 21.4km bike and 3.59km run.
    Forgot the bike computer so no numbers for that. 2 laps of the park and then home. Didn'tpush it too hard. Ran the first 1.5km at race pace then took it easy for the rest. 15.37, avg 4.21km pace.

I think I need a couple of good bike sessions this week as the running has been the priority for the last couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭MayoRoadRunner

nomadic wrote: »
    Yea definitely.

Short brick this morning, 21.4km bike and 3.59km run.
    Forgot the bike computer so no numbers for that. 2 laps of the park and then home. Didn'tpush it too hard. Ran the first 1.5km at race pace then took it easy for the rest. 15.37, avg 4.21km pace.

I think I need a couple of good bike sessions this week as the running has been the priority for the last couple of weeks.

Well done again on Saturday nomadic. Great PB! Best of luck with the next few weeks of training in the lead up to your foreign trip! No doubt will bump into you again before the end of the season!

Yesterday
    Easy enough day. Bit of hiking and trail building then one lap of Ballinstoe on the mtb.

Today
    2,500m in the pool this morning
    5 x 100m warm up
    3 x 500m off 10.00
    5 x 100m warm down

Not a bad session. I managed to maintain a kick for the 500's for a change. 500's were 9.00, 9.04 and 9.15. I injured my sholder again on saturday somehow so I stayed out of the pool yesterday. It gave me no bother today which is good.

8.47km Tempo run this evening

2.31km in 11.25, 4.57 min/km
    3.85km in 13.55, 3.37 min/km
    2.31km in 11.23, 4.56 min/km

Possibly the last of these tempo runs before Budapest. I've been doing them for 3-4 weeks and my time for them has dropped loads. I really enjoy them aswell, its great running fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

3:37min/k is excellent pacing Nomadic. I had an idea, 8 weeks ago, to try and get my pacing for 5k down to 3:30min/k. Obviously it didn't workout but something to do for the winter :) What is your run time aim for Budapest?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

+1 That is a great pace. Your running has come on something serious. I just worked it out in miles and its 5:49/ml for 2.4miles - Fecking hell that's blistering. Well done.

• Advertisement

3:37min/k is excellent pacing Nomadic. I had an idea, 8 weeks ago, to try and get my pacing for 5k down to 3:30min/k. Obviously it didn't workout but something to do for the winter :) What is your run time aim for Budapest?

I'm not sure really, definately sub 20. I'll see how I go off the bike on sunday before I commit to anything quicker. It's the first time I've done 5k specific training and the improvement has been huge. I'm sure the plateua isn't far away.

60km on the bike this morning.
    7 laps of the DCT course ~7.2km, 3 @ tempo 36.8, 36.3 and 36.5 km/hr averages. There was an easterly wind today for a change so the easy bits were harder and the harder bits easier.

1,000m swim this afternoon
    5 x 100m
    10 x 50m

I had only planned a short swim and the pool was full of clowns so I got out earlier than planned.

6 mile run yesterday evening.
    Bit of a terrible run. I was tired going out and I had no energy at about 4 miles in. I had planned about 9 miles but I turned around and walked a bit. Trudged home slowly. I've been eating less recently and I've been on the look out for signs of under eating and this is definately one.

2,000m swim this morning.
    500m warm up
    10 x 50m off 60
    10 x 100m off 2.00

Poor times and I was really ragged at times. Probably still tired. I'm going to take it easy for the next couple of days.

Good luck tomorrow dude!

Just a handy 21km roll around the course for the DCT. The wind seems to be forecast the same for tomorrow. Head wind going up the kyber and on chesterfield avenue. REALLY fast down the back road and the s-bends are fairly handy with a tail wind.

• Advertisement

The weather was a bit changeable this morning with patchy showers but it had cleared up a bit for the sprint race. I watched some of the olympic lads on the bikes and some dear trying to kill a few. There was a bit of a ding dong battle between Bambatta and Mcos on the bikes with them coming into t2 pretty much together.

Swim 600m (700m I hope according to mloc's garmin) 12.20 - 19th

I got chatting to mloc in the water before the start. Start was the usual bumping and roughness for the first few meters but it settled down fairly soon. I was a little behind the lead group of the wave at the turn around and got back onto the back of them by the time we were getting out. I'll be happy enough with the swim time if it was 700m. It definately seemed longer than 600m.

T1 1.22 - 10th
    No bother here.

Bike 16km 27.32 - 2nd

Tough enough start to the bike with the uphill into the wind of the kyber. I fell off at the turn around point on the first lap. The chain came off and it took me ages to get it sorted. I had popped a few caffee pills beforehand and I think the jitteryness didn't help with getting the chain back on. I got the chain back on and proceeded to fall off again trying to mount the bike:o. I'd say the girl at the bail of hay was having a great laugh. Chain off again and more fumbling. I had a word with myself and eventually got it sorted. I'd say I lost at least a minute.The rest of the bike went grand. Average speed on my computer was 33.8km/hr which is a lot slower than I'd do in practice but it was very windy and I'm an idiot.

T2 1.13 - 23rd

No problems. My transitions seem a little slow so some time to gain here.

Run 4.28km(I think) 16.45 - 1st

The first section of the run was nice and flat with a bit of a hill on entering the park. An absolute stinker of a hill at the start of the off road bit took the wind out of my sails. I got properly into my stride after about 2k and the last section down chesterfield avenue was nice and fast. 3.55 min/km average. I'm happy with that and should go a bit quicker in Budapest.

Overall 59.09 - 3rd

Good enough day at the office. Crap bike but lesson learnt about taking it easy on turn arounds (lots of them in budapest). Running was good and swimming was ok. Definately no getting carried away with the result seeing as it was a race targeted at beginners and all the quality athletes were doing the national champs. Nice to get a 50 quid voucher though.

Good to talk to mloc123, bambatta and Mcos afterwards.

Very well done lad, thats is a great result! Nice to get a podium....you can tell me what thats like someday! Well done again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

wow - well done. Congrats on the 3rd place.

Very well done lad, thats is a great result! Nice to get a podium....you can tell me what thats like someday! Well done again.
    It gets ruined a little when the 2 people higher up than you are 15 year olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

That young lad Rooney is some swimmer, I was watching him in the sprint in Limerick, he has a very unusual style but hes like a rocket. Even the traffic in the lane didn't seem to slow him that day

Very well done nomadic. What a run - 1st place - those tempos have sure paid off for you. Sorry to hear that the bike didn't go as well - as you say lesson to be learnt for Budapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Good to meet you too dude. hope the ankle is not too bad. Great result especially the run. You are in good shap for next week!

Yesterday

1,500m swim in the morning
    1,000m straight
    5 x 50m off 60
    250m various easy

Handy enough swim. I must have been working hard in the swim on Sunday as my arms were feeling it today.

Today

8.47km Tempo run this evening

2.31km in 11.02, 4.47 min/km
    3.85km in 13.40, 3.33 min/km
    2.31km in 11.35, 5.00 min/km

Definately the last tempo before budapest. I pushed it into the red zone a little earlier at the end of this to see how long I can take it. I've had plenty left in my legs at the end of the last few races so I need to see how long I can manage without coughing up a lung. I reckon a km.

I really want to do a straight 5k soon enough after Budapest to set myself a time. I'm enjoying running fast and will keep one of these sessions a week up over the winter(I hope).

I might go for an dip at the Bull Wall on Friday evening if anyone fancies it?

2,300m swimming this morning
    500m warm up
    500m in 9.07
    500m easy
    8 x 25m kicking
    500m in 8.54
    100m warm down

53.21km spin this evening with 3 x 10km intervals.
    Total avg speed of 32.6km/hr for the session. Nice evening for a spin. I worked hard on the last interval.

I suppose I better hit taper mode now.

Thursday
    Rest Day

Friday
    About 1,800m OW swim with Macanri at the bull wall then a 9.2km run. It seemed to be a little tough swimming in both directions buts as macanri was saying, its good to swim in tougher conditions than race conditions.

Saturday
    32.56km spin 3 laps around the strawberry beds, 32 km/hr avg.
    The tri bars are packed away for the week and it was good to be back on the bike without them.

Today
    8.47km run in 37.04, 4.23 min/km pace.
    2.3k warm up then about 4.5k building into 500m at 5k pace and 200m all out. 1.7k warm down.

Keeping things ticking over.

• Advertisement

Good stuff nomadic. I hope you are looking forward to it as much as I am. It will be good to watch you in action on the Saturday. I must say I enjoy the day dreaming/visualisation as much as anything. When you flying?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Good stuff nomadic. I hope you are looking forward to it as much as I am. It will be good to watch you in action on the Saturday. I must say I enjoy the day dreaming/visualisation as much as anything. When you flying?

+1 looking forward to watching the Sprint too. Best of luck in it nomadic in case I don't meet you beforehand.

Hey ELD nice result in Lough Rea at the weekend, running well off the bike there!

Yea i'm getting a bit excited now. Flying out tomorrow so plenty of time to acclimatise (not that it's looking any different to here) . Are you in on thursday?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Better get the "best of luck" in today so! Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Good luck!

Better get the "best of luck" in today so! Enjoy

+1, Although I have wished you well in person, All the best virtually also. You have done some great training and some great sessions over the last year so you will fly it. Bust a fecking gut when you get going on the run. We want you flat on your back when you cross the line. :) all the best and enjoy the experience.

nomadic wrote: »
    Yea i'm getting a bit excited now. Flying out tomorrow so plenty of time to acclimatise (not that it's looking any different to here) . Are you in on thursday?

Ya I will be in Buda at 8pm Thurs evening. If you get a chance dude PM me your number.

Mon 06/09
    1,500m swim

Tue 07/09
    1,000m swim and 4k run

Wed 08/09
    3 X 5 mins at race paces on the bike with 5 mins recovery. About 9 km run with 6 x 100m strides.
    I accompanied Bambatta with his training today down on the margaret island in Budapest. Some speed out of him on the 100m strides. I was miles behind.

Thur 09/09
    Recce of the bike route with Mcos and Bambatta. There was a short stretch of road which was in rag order but thankfully they had it tarred over for race day. About 1km swim around the swim route. Sighting easy with the big buoys but 0 visability in the water.

Fri 10/09
    Cycled down to transition to drop the bike in. I didn't have bar ends on the tri bars so wasn't allowed in:(. I went down to the bike mechanics and they had none. I went back to the ITU lady to ask could I swop the ones over from the handlebars but she's misunderstood me and must have thought I was originally missing the handlebar ones so she let me through when she saw I had them in.

It was hammering it down all day and I was soaked through. I wasn't going to bother with the planned swim but I couldn't get any wetter so I got in for a lap. It was actually nicer in the water than out of it. No worries about not being able to wear wetsuits, the water temp was about 14 degrees ie freezing.

World AG Sprint Champs 2010

t7h5ia.jpg

Very early start on race day. I got up at 3.30am for the 7.15 race start. It had rained for about 24 hours straight and was still falling. I got the tram down to the race start at about 5am which resembled a nightlink with revellers on their way home. Into transition and the rain got heavier. I stuck the shoes under plastic bags which did the trick. Had a bit of a chat with Conor Murphy and the other Irish chap who were racked beside me. I got suited up and headed down to watch the first few waves off. I was getting worried when I heard the one minute warning for the first wave and they were all still standing on the starting pontoon. I though it may have been changed to a start from the pontoon but they were allowed into the water about 10 seconds before the hooter.

Swim 13.37 - 40th
    It eventually stopped raining just before the start. Being allowed into the water 10 seconds before the off wasn't ideal but what ya gonna do. The swim went ok. Usual bit of commotion at the start but everyone seemed to disappear fairly quickly. I think I drifted off to the right a couple of times but nothing major. I was hoping for a sub 13 so the swim time was fairly disappointing. 40th out of 46 out of the water was not good either

T1 2.31
    Transition was quite long. Up a short bank then across the mucky field that was transition. I had no real issues here.

Bike 30.49 - 22nd
    The bike course was 2 laps of a totally flat course. There were two 180 degree turns and four 90 degree turns. There was little or no wind so it should be fast. There was plenty of standing water and the corners had to be taken with quite a bit of caution but the bike went well and I didn't fall off. There didn't seem to be any drafting going on either which was good. I wanted to do a sub 30 bike split but I'm not disappointed with the time. I reckon I would have come close to sub 30 in the dry.

T2 2.33
    Its not often that t2 is longer than t1 but the run in was quite long. No issues here either.

Run - 17th
    The run course followed the Danube down to the downtown finish. It was totally flat with a small rise to get up onto the Chain Bridge in the last km. It took the usual few hundred meters to get into the run but I felt like I was going ok. I was passed by a Brit about 1.5 km in and there was no way I was letting that happen so I jumped on his shoulder. I stuck to him like glue and wouldn't let him go. I even passed him for a little while but was happy enough to sit on his shoulder. He tried to kick a few times to get rid of me which nearly worked but I managed to dig in and not let him get any more than a 2 meter gap. I had a bit of banter with him telling him he wasn't going to get rid of me. We caught another Brit with about 1.5km to go and then a Mexican just before turning onto the Chain Bridge for the last 800m. Half way across the bridge I kicked and got a bit on the Brit. There was only about 150m after the bridge, 50m with a 180 degree turn around then 100m to the finish. I seemed to drop the British chap but the Mexican seemed to be creeping up so I put the hammer down for the last 100m and got in ahead of them. I had wanted a sub 20 run which I got but I'm still a little disappointed with the time. I probably would have been slower had I not had the British chap to chase. It was the first time I've ever felt like I was racing though and was delighted to beat the 2 lads.

Overall 1.08.58 - 26th out of 46 in AG, 192nd out of 575 overall.
    I'm happy with the overall result really if not the time. It's really obvious that my swimming need to improve greatly.

It was a great week overall. The standard in the olympic race was fairly serious. Great stuff from Bambatta, Mcos and El Director. I managed to get food poisoning on Sunday from some dodgy chicken so I couldn't partake in the celebrations. My stomach is still in bits and I was very jealous seeing the amount of food Bambatta was downing for the last couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Congrats Nomadic, fantastic end to a great 1st year

• Advertisement

Nice to meet you dude and hope you are feeling better by now. I am wrecked!

Advertisement