Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Four in five households in Galway County don't use refuse collectors

Options
  • 12-02-2010 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭

Just one in five households in County Galway is availing of bin collection services as the problem with illegal dumping and burning of waste escalates.
    And it has prompted Galway County Council to embark on a major initiative to determine how the remainder of the houses are disposing of their waste.
    From this article in the Connaught Tribune : http://www.galwaynews.ie/11195-four-five-households-don’t-use-refuse-collectors

So what are ye doing with it? :)

If four fifths of people are burning it that would make for a hell of alot of fires.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tomdeere

if people are going to burn there going to burn and i say let them,

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

tomdeere wrote: »
    if people are going to burn there going to burn and i say let them,

I don't agree with this comment at all - rubbish should be disposed of responsibly and anyone who travels country roads in Galway knows that this is not the case in the county at the minute. Burning rubbish is massively harmful to the environment and, in all fairness, should have gone out with the dark ages. It's so easy to recycle stuff, and there's no messing with ashes etc, there's no argument that can be made for burning rubbish.

You may as well say "If people are going to speed they're going to speed, let them off"... not the way society should be run I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

chilly wrote: »
    Just one in five households in County Galway is availing of bin collection services as the problem with illegal dumping and burning of waste escalates.

Hope they are including caravans in their "major initiative"
    Spineless wardens won't go next nor near them.

wrote:
    The countywide campaign has already started with wardens doing door to door checks in several towns and villages to ascertain how householders are disposing of their waste.

Good luck with that.
    I use my waste to fill potholes.
    What do you use yours for.

Tossers tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sophielc

My ex used to burn everything; I was willing to buy bags but he couldn't be bothered to drive to to top of our road and leave them there once a week for collection.
    I'm happy to say I'm rid of him and his archaic practices for the last 4 years.
    I have been the proud keeper of 3 wheelie bins since I moved to Galway city and back to 2 after moving to Athenry. There is no going back, the weekly cost isn't that much and it's better for everybody's lungs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Do the stats consider those purchasing the recycling bags though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Is waste collection much more expensive in the county than in the city?

I realise that times are hard but dumping or burning waste just seems a crazy solution for such a large majority of people to adopt.

This story made the RTE drive time news show last week and it was met with amazement by commentators from around the country so it must not be somethings that's done on quite this scale elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

ethernet wrote: »
    Do the stats consider those purchasing the recycling bags though?

Just what I was thinking. My own household (two people) would never produce enough waste to justify entering a contract for bins, but I buy the bags and put them out, I would guess, about every six to eight weeks. If you recycle, have a compost heap and only buy as much food as you are going to eat, it isn't necessary to deal with a massive amount of waste. I think it is disgusting that people have so little respect for their environment and their fellow citizens that they burn rubbish rather than pay for their mess. A lot of people are really backward in this regard; the same applies to littering - the number of plastic bottles, cans etc discarded by the side of the road and in woods and other beautiful places is unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

chilly wrote: »
    Is waste collection much more expensive in the county than in the city?
    There appears to be some competition lately but in the area of €250-€300 for two bins (landfill and recyclables) annually.
    padraig71 wrote:
    Just what I was thinking. My own household (two people) would never produce enough waste to justify entering a contract for bins, but I buy the bags and put them out, I would guess, about every six to eight weeks.
    Exactly. The bags seem more common out here in the shhhticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Think WERS waste in Tuam are now charging by the amount of times they actually collect bins. Effectively you could get away with around €150 a year if the domestic waste bin was left out twice a month and the recycling bin once a month. But it could be costly for a large family though. I know there is a civic amenity site in Tuam which takes in all recyclables and old electrical items. Are there other such sites around the county?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Guell72

dec25532 wrote: »
    Think WERS waste in Tuam are now charging by the amount of times they actually collect bins. Effectively you could get away with around €150 a year if the domestic waste bin was left out twice a month and the recycling bin once a month. But it could be costly for a large family though. I know there is a civic amenity site in Tuam which takes in all recyclables and old electrical items. Are there other such sites around the county?

They did that in Fingal before. Now they have a fixed charge PLUS the same charge per collection as before. They sent a letter basically saying that people werent throwing out enough rubbish, so they had to have the fixed charge on top of the per collection charge. You have to laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Guell72

hoody wrote: »
    I don't agree with this comment at all - rubbish should be disposed of responsibly and anyone who travels country roads in Galway knows that this is not the case in the county at the minute. Burning rubbish is massively harmful to the environment and, in all fairness, should have gone out with the dark ages. It's so easy to recycle stuff, and there's no messing with ashes etc, there's no argument that can be made for burning rubbish.

You may as well say "If people are going to speed they're going to speed, let them off"... not the way society should be run I think.

They pay their carbon taxes. Let them burm :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭airhorn

Big fire once a month.... i find it a nice experience sitting down by the fire, i'll have more rubbish now in the upcoming months which will mean a fire once a week so im looking forward to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

airhorn wrote: »
    Big fire once a month.... i find it a nice experience sitting down by the fire, i'll have more rubbish now in the upcoming months which will mean a fire once a week so im looking forward to that.
    bad for your lungs and everyone elses

• Registered Users Posts: 34 skylock

The big issue here is that people can not afford the collossial price of disposeing of refuse.The pay as you go system might work if it is not another stroke.i know in one area it was up to 600 per annum for a small collection bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I'm hoarding all mine to corner the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

That explains a lot. I wondered why Galway was so filthy, the fly tipping is really bad, particularly in parts of East Galway. Very bad attitude towards littering and burning. I find Dublin and it's outskirts a lot cleaner than Galway in recent years.

Advertisement