Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

100-400 f4-5.6 L IS ..

• 12-02-2010 7:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭

Was thinking of getting this lens,

I just got laid of and have a bit of severence cash to splash...

i have the 5d mkii body and 70-200 L , but looking for some extra reach ...

is it a good lens ,, well must be a good lens ... it's L ... what do you guys think , be interested to see peoples opinions here...

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

It's the push pull one isn't it?
    I've seen it used for daylight sports with some nice resuts.
    Extra reach is always nice but it's a good chunk of cash to spend on a lens you might not get much use from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Unless you've another job lined up I'd suggest holding on to that cash for the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Financially I'm fine ....

a lot of money yes, but need it for animal photography i like +
    going to Namibia in October...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I spent some of my severence pay on the 16-35L and 70-200L. Money well spent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

100-400L is a really nice lens,it will serve you well but you might be a bit lacking with the 5dmk2 due to the resolution increase.

• Advertisement

Borderfox wrote: »
    100-400L is a really nice lens,it will serve you well but you might be a bit lacking with the 5dmk2 due to the resolution increase.

How do you mean ??

surely the only disadvantage is the FF isn't as far reaching??

why would 21MP be a disadvantage ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

The 100-400L would have the resolving power of say the 70-200 f2.8 on something like the 5dmk2 especially at the edges. One thing that they found when they released the 5dmk2 was that some of the L lenses werent up to the job of the extra MP.

21mp is not a disadvantage it just put a lot of pressure on the glass (metaphorically speaking) especially on something like a 100-400L that has a big range to cover, the 28-300L struggles even with a 1dmk3 and thats only 10mp.

As a suggestion maybe a 300 f4 instead? or the 400 f5.6

OK thanks, so yeah the 400mm f5.6L is a better price, plus would be better i guess cos it's prime....

I have the 70-300 f4-5.6 IS and it's excellent... even at 300mm ...
    so was assuming the 100-400 would be just as good ...

it's all releative i guess, depends on each own standard, ill check out
    some sample pics taken with a 5dm2 w/ this lens at 400mm ...

anyone have the link to that site where you can select a load of
    different bodies and lenses for sample shots??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Good lens review source
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

I use this lens a lot... typically for bird photography... although moreso on the 400D or 40D for the cropped sensor and not so much on the full frame 5D MKII.

For bird photography I find it to be pretty damn good... haven't really used it for anything else e.g. sport.

Sample photo of a Siskin taken the week before last -

4335276232_77af7cf08d.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement