Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lights in the sky?

• 12-02-2010 8:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

Did anyone else see those moving lights in the sky this evening at around 6.30pm?!
    what on earth were they?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Did anyone else see those moving lights in the sky this evening at around 6.30pm?!
    what on earth were they?:confused:

I saw them. It looked like there was about sixty red or orange lights floating up into the sky at regular enough intervals. They either disappeared into the clouds or burned out. At first I thought they might be flares, but there was too many. They originated in the direction of the brasscock, or maybe further beyond like cheekpoint. Strange!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

I'm guessing chinese lanterns, it's chinese new year this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

could be these

linky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

wobbles wrote: »
    could be these

linky

Nice 1 thats looks cool. Thanks for the link, never saw them before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Nice 1 thats looks cool. Thanks for the link, never saw them before.

Gung Hay Fat Choy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Gstore.ie (Tony)

Hi All,

Just wanted to let you know they were probably ours we have sold a lot of these this time of year due to the chinese new year but there are also great for any special occasions especially weddings.

Best Regards
    Tony

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭hudsonriver

I hope these are fully biodegradable, otherwise youre just littering scum

edit I see that they are, fair play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I bet Waterford Air Traffic Control just love love love people sending those into the sky...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Trotter wrote: »
    I bet Waterford Air Traffic Control just love love love people sending those into the sky...
    Makes it fun i'm sure:)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

would they be even big enough to show as contacts on radar though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Cabaal wrote: »
    would they be even big enough to show as contacts on radar though?

Doubtful, but they might be big enough or plentiful enough to interfere with a plane on approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

i wonder how many are mistakenly reported as aliens

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

gscully wrote: »
    Doubtful, but they might be big enough or plentiful enough to interfere with a plane on approach.

Yeah they could be a hazard alright,
    What are the chances of one landing and setting fire to a house or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

They've a wire frame.. Say we stick 20 of them up and make it all look lovely...

But, put yourself up front on the inbound Luton flight with a lovely lantern wire wrapped around your prop. It'd still give me the heebeyjeebies.

The warnings when you buy them do say not to lift them anywhere in a 5 mile radius of an airport, but you cant stop someone doing it either.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

They've a wire frame.. Say we stick 20 of them up and make it all look lovely...

But, put yourself up front on the inbound Luton flight with a lovely lantern wire wrapped around your prop. It'd still give me the heebeyjeebies.

The warnings when you buy them do say not to lift them anywhere in a 5 mile radius of an airport, but you cant stop someone doing it either.
    Very true and they could have an even greater impact on a light aircraft if they got caught in the prop. They were reported to have been seen near Cheekpoint which is very close to the approach for runway 21 at Waterford Airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Gstore.ie (Tony)

Cabaal wrote: »
    Yeah they could be a hazard alright,
    What are the chances of one landing and setting fire to a house or something?

Hi Cabaal,

The lanterns only return down once the flame is extinguished and the hot air within the lantern is no more, this will cause them to float back down to the ground gradually. They stay flying for about 15-20 minutes.

Regards
    Tony

Advertisement