Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Strange numbers call my housephone

• 12-02-2010 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭

These numbers

Are ringing my house phone every hour or so. Were ringing yesterday too. When my Da answered yesterday person on the phone was asking him about what computer software I have on my PC, my Da just hung up straight away.

Anyone got a idea about this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

nuxxx wrote: »
    These numbers

Are ringing my house phone every hour or so. Were ringing yesterday too. When my Da answered yesterday person on the phone was asking him about what computer software I have on my PC, my Da just hung up straight away.

Anyone got a idea about this?

If an office has it's own internal phone exchange (PABX) then they can control what appears as Caller ID when they phone outside companies, for example if someone in Dunne's Stores Head office in St Great Georges Street calls you, the caller ID is the 4 digit internal extension of the phone that calls you, i assume your callers are something like this (but maybe not in Dunne's Stores).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭Dey were Sooted

we get a lot of cold calls here at our house as we run a small business here - those numbers we used to get a few years ago - wouldn't worry too much about it as long as you don't give out any information - very annoying tho !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Thanks guys!

Just weird there ringing on a Friday night

I get them now and again. Normally people doing surveys.

I just say "No thanks, Bye" and hang up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Yeah have got a couple of them as well, one was a survey from O2 can't remember what the other ones were now but they were all customer surveys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

As far as I know, you can ask for your phone number to be excluded from cold calls. There's some sort of register. If they then ring you up, demand to know what company they're representing because you've asked not to receive any calls. Tis a good way to avoid being called again :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Firetrap wrote: »
    As far as I know, you can ask for your phone number to be excluded from cold calls. There's some sort of register. If they then ring you up, demand to know what company they're representing because you've asked not to receive any calls. Tis a good way to avoid being called again :D

There is but its damn-all use for some numbers. We get similar calls to those described above. We tell the caller to "Get Lost" , or words to that effect :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

Sorry to reopen this thread but i got a call yesterday from 0818272827 claiming to be chorus ntl but i cannot find this number on their website. It only occurred to me that this might be a scam. Can anyone verify this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭SueL

just got a silent phone call from 001210 , Googled it and found this Thread. If it was just a Survey why didnt they speak at all..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭teddy b123

SueL wrote: »
    just got a silent phone call from 001210 , Googled it and found this Thread. If it was just a Survey why didnt they speak at all..?

Cos as far as i know, they ring several numbers at once and the first to pick up gets put through to an agent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭surf board

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    Sorry to reopen this thread but i got a call yesterday from 0818272827 claiming to be chorus ntl but i cannot find this number on their website. It only occurred to me that this might be a scam. Can anyone verify this?

Its UPC Sales office in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 49 kingkane

SueL wrote: »

Got the same from 001210 a few days ago then 001215. I also got call about a month ago from a hidden number from someone calling to be from some computerrepair site saying they were calling people because "there are many virus around". At the same time a virus on my machine (on one of the external drives so not scanned as frequently) became active, was caught by norton but worrying none the less. I did loads of scans and found stuff in the delete folder of an old outlook express zip.

The calls offering virus repairs over the phone are, I expect you guessed by now, a scam. I didn't see the virus on my machine when taking the call so I didn't bother inquiring as to how they had my name and number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

We just got the same call in my house saying that there is a lot of computer virus etc going around, my Ma just hung up on them.

Very strange, seems like the want you to tun on your computer, and my guess is they are going to try get you to give them access somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

If you receive a malicious / possibly fraudulent call, report it to your phone company. They're generally able to get to the bottom of who's causing problems and take a pretty dim view of this sort of carry on. If possible get in touch with your phone company as soon as you hang up on the original call and give them the number you saw on your caller id as well as the precise time that you received the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭GEasy

Just got broadband 2 weeks ago and what do ya know?
    effing s.o.b s ringing saying that there was something wrong with our computer. I personally didn't answer the phone, just my mother and sister. Hopefully they'll ring back tomorrow and ill have a bit of time on my hands. Gonna waste their time. . big shytle!:D

" ok and what does 'log in' mean exactly?"
    "yes i have the internets ; mighty shtuff altogether !" :p

As far as I know they get u to download and install simple vnc software. takes all control away from machine , no change of settings etc. can use browser and open docs etc.

gonna be gud!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

A lot of us are continually getting the calls, bit of a nuisance really.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055837564

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

At home we don't have caller ID so can't tell who's calling, but we still have a business line.
    So somtimes the phone rings and I go to answer but there is no one on the other end, just silence.
    This can happen a few times a day, anyone have any idea whats going on?

Should also note, we have been with Eircom's phone/landline for 18 years and Broadband for about 5, but this has only started to happen in the last 2 months or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

If it's those feckers with the Tech Support scam, what happens is an autodialler dials several numbers simultaneously, he can only deal with so many answered calls at the one time and possibly can't pick up your call. We get a lot of missed calls from them, pity cos I can't wait to 'speak' with them again! My calls from them started about two months ago too.

Advertisement