Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exporting a horse to Australia?

Options
  • 12-02-2010 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

Just want to ask about this, me and the boyfriend are thinking of moving to australia in a few years time (around 2-3) and we will be living there permanently.

Now If this does happen I will want to bring my horse with me, and I'm just wondering if there is any website I can visit that details how bringing horses into Australia from Ireland is done.

And what else will I have to look into? Obviously transporting her, anyone know of a good company that deals with transporting horses? I'm aware that I will have to fill in a fair few documents, and will have to have the horse up to date on everything but I am not willing to part with her just because of a overseas move (she is one of those 'keep-for-life' horses!).

Obviously if we do decide this, I will have everything sorted for her in Australia before anything else happens, we have decided that we want to have settled into the house and if there's land, have a yard set up otherwise have a barn ready for her before she is moved, don't want her arriving to find there is no where for her.

If anyone on here has experiance with bringing their horses overseas I would be happy to hear about how it went and how you went about doing it. I'm thinking it could be quite tramautic for her to be moved from her friends and in a foreign country, she can get quite attatched to her friends, how has your horse(s) dealt with it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I don't think it would be worth transporting a horse all the way to Australia. At a guess I'd say min €20k.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Aaustralia are notorious for not letting animals/plants/mud into their country so i think it would be a lot of work to make it happen not even considering the cost of it. I'd email their embassy first and ask if it is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

lordgoat wrote: »
    Aaustralia are notorious for not letting animals/plants/mud into their country so i think it would be a lot of work to make it happen not even considering the cost of it. I'd email their embassy first and ask if it is possible.

I've looked into that, yea they are very strict, with horses they want to make sure that everything is up to date, and she will go into quaranteen for at least a week. There is more but that's all I've found out.
    It's very time consuming, but as I've said it won't be happening for a good few years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Hobbidance

I know a woman who works for an international horse transport agency based in Dublin. They fill out all paperwork and let you know of all the necessary things you need to do. Transporting a horse to australia though is going to take a very long time and a hell of alot of money.

I'll PM you her number and you can ask her yourself.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I've looked into that, yea they are very strict, with horses they want to make sure that everything is up to date, and she will go into quaranteen for at least a week. There is more but that's all I've found out.
    It's very time consuming, but as I've said it won't be happening for a good few years!

http://www.aqis.gov.au/icon32/asp/ex_casecontent.asp?intNodeId=8748508&intCommodityId=6117&Types=none&WhichQuery=Go+to+full+text&intSearch=1&LogSessionID=0

From having a quick look here it seems it's 3 weeks quarantine in Oz and i think the same in this country before you go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

What about going with a racing yard? they will move horses to the southern hemisphere and maybe they will bring one more?

Advertisement