Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog hates the car

Options
  • 12-02-2010 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭

I have a 9 month old Beagle who hates being in the car. It's not to bad when we're going a short distance but when we are in the car for more than 10 minutes he goes into melt-down.

He starts off panting after a few minutes and it progresses into really heavy fast panting and he becomes really traumatised. When I'm bringing him to the beach which is only 10 minutes away I leave the side window open a little and he sticks his head out which helps a little but when we are visiting family for the weekend we bring him with us but its over an hour away and he really doesn't like it and it turns the journey into a nightmare for everyone.

Has anyone any tips of tricks to help him out, thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

What I did with our puppy was build up the time he's in the car and treat him along the way. For example there's a petmania about 15 mins from where we live so I started by taking him along when I'm getting treats/food etc and it's helped him to assosicate the car with a trip to the beach/petshop/daycare/a treat so he's not too bad - we've gone from barking non-stop for 30 mins to the odd whine. He barks non-stop if I put him in the back when it's just the two of us though so I have him in the passenger seat with the window open a little and the a/c on full blast (thank god for my heated set!! :pac:) and he's much happier

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

As already suggested try building up the length of time gradually and also make sure that the journey always ends in something positive, e.g. a nice walk, a treat, anything good really. Also, I don't know if it's possible but maybe try him in different parts of the car (all safe of course), our guy used to get sick on every journey when he was in the boot, even though he could see out, he's much better on the back seat though (with his RAC harness on).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

90% of the time when he gets into the car it ends in a run of the beach/forest which he absolutely loves. When its just me and him in the car it's not to bad because he has the whole back seat to himself but when the kids are there it's worse.

When he's in the car he doesn't respond to anything eg. treats, call words etc..
    he just stands there panting and it gets heavier and heavier.

When he was very young he used to curl up on the foot well of the car and go asleep but he slowly stopped doing that.
    Thanks for the replies guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I know a lady who used to put her Jack Russell in the boot of her car. He had a comfy bed but it just seemed wrong.

She bought a jeep & fitted a dog guard. Now she can't bear taking the dog anywhere as he barks all the time at passers by - which he couldn't see from the boot.

Like other suggestions I would ensure that every time he goes in the car it ends in pleasure.

Advertisement