Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Window Washing W@nkers

Options
  • 12-02-2010 9:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭

Is there anything we can do about this scourge on the city? Its getting very fúcking annoying that i cant stop my car at a set of lights without being set upon by these absolute díckheads. Its even more pathetic that the guards know about it but still do nothing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭barrackali

They would be the Roma scourge that are all over this country, from past experience don't expect the guards to do much about it. They do very little to stop them in Dublin.

They are window/paint scratchers, certainly not washers.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

He was standing on the slip road off the M7 Bypass yesterday which is highly illegal.

I thought "If I ring the Gardai will they even give a crap?" as they dont care about people jogging or dog walking on the motorway. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Do what I always do, put on you wipers and spray your windscreen with water just as they are finished. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

If theres nobody behind you start slowly reversing as they try to do it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

Politely wave no to them - always works for me.

BTW, if everyone refused or didn't give them money then they wouldnt be long moving off, like touts as long as they are people out there will to pay then they will always be people like windscreen washers and touts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Look them in the eye, don't smile. Shake head. They never bother me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

MarkR wrote: »

This works for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

I keep a big super soaker in the car and soak um with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Had the same issue at the same place yesterday Berty. I said no, and he saw that my girlfriend was looking through her bag and he came up to her window and put his hand out - what a w@nker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

krudler wrote: »
    If theres nobody behind you start slowly reversing as they try to do it :D

I did this once, then moved forward a bit and the ****er still persisted.

Another time I did a big "NO THANK YOU" gesture out my window, and he gave me the middle finger and walked on. Nice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

ive done a lot of things to these dirtballs when they try to wash my windows, nothing violent just funny, now they see my car coming and dont come near me haha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

ive done a lot of things to these dirtballs when they try to wash my windows, nothing violent just funny, now they see my car coming and dont come near me haha

What have you done? The standup Comedy of Billy Connolly circa 1989?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

cover your windscreen in superglue, then when they go to wipe it they become stuck. then, squirt them with your windscreen washer which you've filled with cat pee.

simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

i used to drive into town the whole time across the sarsfield bridge and there used to be a guy there the whole time outside the now abandoned dunnes, i just used to put on the squerters and wipers when he came around so he knew not to clean it, they really piss me off big time!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

They are around Punches Cross an awful lot and at the set of traffic lights just after Punches Cross as you head towards Dooradoyle. Yesterday they were on the Ballysimon road bridge slip roads on the motorway, and had no problem strolling across the actual motorway with traffic flying by at pace. Made me laugh to see a garda car pass them on the motorway, with the gardai seemingly oblivious to how dangerous it is for people to be walking across the motorway.

They do target women over men though, and I have often seen a woman say no and they just ignore her and squirt her windows, they normally time that one to when the lights are turning green and try to intimidate the woman for cash.

Only once have I gotten out of my car to one of them, and that was at Punches cross when one started hitting the window of a car with an elderly couple in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Those ****ers at Punches Cross need a good kicking, was pulled up there the other day and even though I waved no and told them to fcuk off they still washed my windows, and I had just gotten the car washed so their manky water left streaks all over it, when i said i wasnt paying him he started giving me abuse, I hope someone runs them over,one less drain on society out of the way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

The Chuggers at traffic lights are also a nuisance.
    I've often been a few cars behind someone fumbling for cash to give these people and then the lights change from green to red.
    Also, some of them seem oblivious to traffic especially cyclists betwen cars.
    I wonder who is at fault if you hit (with car) a chugger or a window cleaner.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Run the bastards over...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

The Chuggers at traffic lights are also a nuisance.
    I've often been a few cars behind someone fumbling for cash to give these people and then the lights change from green to red.
    Also, some of them seem oblivious to traffic especially cyclists betwen cars.
    I wonder who is at fault if you hit (with car) a chugger or a window cleaner.

2 schools of thought on this, on the one hand they're endangering traffic, but on the other hand you should be highly observant while driving and highly aware of your surroundings.

I would imagine the chugger or window cleaner would be held responsible in a criminal court, but in saying that i reckon the driver would be held responsible in a civil court.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Ye all must drive very dirty cars,they never bother me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

foinse wrote: »
    2 schools of thought on this, on the one hand they're endangering traffic, but on the other hand you should be highly observant while driving and highly aware of your surroundings.

I would imagine the chugger or window cleaner would be held responsible in a criminal court, but in saying that i reckon the driver would be held responsible in a civil court.

I know the onus is on the motorist to be as observent as they can, but to use Punches Cross as an example, it is a regular thing to have both chuggers and window cleaners there, and they often walk up between the three lanes of traffic, and worse, they often do so with their backs turned to the traffic and walk suddenly into the path of the car.

So if the driver spots it and swerves, then the car becomes a risk to the traffic in one of the other lanes.

Then factor in drivers who do not observe what is around them, or drivers who simply do not care, and it gains the potential for a serious accident.

I actually reckon a few of the window cleaners are trying to get a clip of a car mirror so that they can fall down and try to claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

I find nothing wrong with getting my windscreen washed for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    I find nothing wrong with getting my windscreen washed for free.

tight ass! :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pinkfloyd34

i have to admit i used to give these lads a euro or 2 if they did clean the window cos i thought at least they are doing something for it rather than just begging but one day at punches cross i gave him the euro and he just turned and walked with not even a thank you and this is what pissed me off so i just totally ignore them now, or as said before just look them in the eye pure serious and say no

Arent they employed by someone in Limerick to do this? Then they get paid a small amount from all the money that is collected

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pinkfloyd34

Mc Love wrote: »
    Arent they employed by someone in Limerick to do this? Then they get paid a small amount from all the money that is collected

like a gangster or is it above board like the corporation or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

phog wrote: »
    Politely wave no to them - always works for me.
    MarkR wrote: »

As kess said below.
    This often does not work for women. I was at punches cross yesterday and one of them walked up to a womans car to wash the window, she clearly said no but he still cleaned it and afterwards shouted at her for no giving him money. Was really tempted to get out and give him a klock across the head but the gf was having none of it.

I normall wait until they are just about to clean my window and turn on my wipers at full speed and watch them jump.
    Kess73 wrote: »
    They are around Punches Cross an awful lot and at the set of traffic lights just after Punches Cross as you head towards Dooradoyle.

They do target women over men though, and I have often seen a woman say no and they just ignore her and squirt her windows, they normally time that one to when the lights are turning green and try to intimidate the woman for cash.

Only once have I gotten out of my car to one of them, and that was at Punches cross when one started hitting the window of a car with an elderly couple in it.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Daithi07

I look them straight in the eye with a mad head on me and as they come nearer the car i motion to take of my seat belt. They then just pass the car. Always works for me!

like a gangster or is it above board like the corporation or something?

Not really a gangster (although he might as well be). My gf said she read it in some newspaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Whinge whinge whinge

Thank god we dont live in a real city where every time you stop at a light they try kidnap/carjack you.

Advertisement