Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Comreg actually help settle broadband disputes?

• 12-02-2010 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

Hi

Im starting this thread to see if people in the recent past have been helped by contacting comreg? is so please post back responses. I just emailed them about a lot of crap things that perlico have done to me over the past 6 months and am attempting to get redress.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Think of them as another public sector body being overpaid for doing nothing about anything and then ....

Actually, no they don't actually do anything only advise which results in nothing being done.Welcome to the age of technology.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

In a word, NO!

Que, union official with strong Dublin accent and unshaved face. " Our members will not stand for this, we will bring the country to its knees before we give in to you saying we are useless" Yada Yada Yada... ZZZzzzzzzzz

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Comreg settle disputes as much as OFCOM settle disputes in the UK....in other words they don't.

They'll pass on your complaint to the provider they may request the outcome and they'll keep stats on the number of complaints but thats about it.

What you want is a ombudsman service which are actually designed to settle disputes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

I am not sure that they do anything as such, but I did use them very recently to lodge a complaint. They did advise me of my rights and when I informed the provider that I had contacted Comreg - amazingly I received a call from some complaints manager the next day..

So yeah, they dont do much, and I think it depends on your ISP to how much weight they carry..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

Cabaal wrote: »
    Comreg settle disputes as much as OFCOM settle disputes in the UK....in other words they don't.

They'll pass on your complaint to the provider they may request the outcome and they'll keep stats on the number of complaints but thats about it.

What you want is a ombudsman service which are actually designed to settle disputes.

Ok does Ireland have a ombudsman for broadband services and is this service worth talking to?

• Advertisement

anoble66 wrote: »
    I am not sure that they do anything as such, but I did use them very recently to lodge a complaint. They did advise me of my rights and when I informed the provider that I had contacted Comreg - amazingly I received a call from some complaints manager the next day..

So yeah, they dont do much, and I think it depends on your ISP to how much weight they carry..

What ISP are you with anoble66? Are you saying that the bigger ISP's will put up greater resistance than the smaller ones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

I dont think its really a case of big ISP vs smaller ISP etc, but I think it depends on who is dealing with your complaint at the provider. Some departments seem to respect comreg and their input, whilst others know that comreg have absolutely zero power to do anything so it makes no difference to them when dealing with your complaint - or thats what I have found in the past.

It wont do you any harm to log a complaint with comreg so just do it if your having problems.

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    What ISP are you with anoble66? Are you saying that the bigger ISP's will put up greater resistance than the smaller ones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

Ok does Ireland have a ombudsman for broadband services

Nope.
    You've still got protection under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act so you could seek redress through the Small Claims Court. Small fee, no solicitor needed.

Unfortunately you seem right-sent very detailed letter to comreg about how perlico were not keeping to the contract that i signed into and their response was to send a generic email saying that i have to give perlico 10 working days to make a response. BS. I guess im on my own here :pac:

Update-called perlico technical support again. The eircom engineer did a check on line at my local exchange and according to him my line stats are healthy. Technical support said the problem was with the modem perlico sent me out. Support guy offered to send me out a replacement zyxel modem but I told him to please hold on that. I told that I had been having disconnection problems for the last 6months with this modem and I also referred him to a boards thread here on this forum where many eircom customers with the same modem were also having disconnection problems. He then admitted that the modem is known to be 'fragile'-what does this mean?

Should I contact comreg again claiming faulty goods under that sales of goods and supply of services act 1980?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Nope.
    You've still got protection under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act so you could seek redress through the Small Claims Court. Small fee, no solicitor needed.

Which isn't great, its extremely time consuming and it costs the customer money to complain.

An ombudsman service like that of the UK...CISAS or Otelo is free to the customer

Update-called perlico technical support again. The eircom engineer did a check on line at my local exchange and according to him my line stats are healthy. Technical support said the problem was with the modem perlico sent me out. Support guy offered to send me out a replacement zyxel modem but I told him to please hold on that.

Personally I'd take the modem,
    Provided taking the modem will not put you into any sort of new contract with Perlico
    He then admitted that the modem is known to be 'fragile'-what does this mean?

Very foolish agent, he sounds like he's almost admitting the modem is crap....very foolish thing for an employee of any ISP to admit
    Should I contact comreg again claiming faulty goods under that sales of goods and supply of services act 1980?

I wouldn't yet, see what terms are attached to taking the new modem.

The fact they are offering a replacement given the engineers report is reasonable in fairness.

However if you get the modem and it resolves your disconnection issue that this may suggest that the previous modem was indeed faulty......how long have you had the previous modem?

Personally I'd take the modem,
    Provided taking the modem will not put you into any sort of new contract with Perlico

Very foolish agent, he sounds like he's almost admitting the modem is crap....very foolish thing for an employee of any ISP to admit

I wouldn't yet, see what terms are attached to taking the new modem.

The fact they are offering a replacement given the engineers report is reasonable in fairness.

However if you get the modem and it resolves your disconnection issue that this may suggest that the previous modem was indeed faulty......how long have you had the previous modem?

Ive had the modem for 6 months now since the start of my contract with perlico -constant disconnections, dial up speeds when im supposed to be on 3mb. Im hoping to get out of my contract early without paying extra fees.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

As a matter of interest what are your line stats? Any chance of borrowing a modem from someone you know to see if it makes a difference?

The problem in relation to Comreg appears to be the powers that they have under legislation rather than Comreg themselves. If they cannot do anything under the law then you can hardly blame Comreg as such.

Consumer law in Ireland appears to favour business more than the consumer.

Just look at the nonsense of Terms and Conditions generally - only time it becomes relevant as far as a company is concerned is when they can use it to get money out of a customer and there is absolutely nobody to enforce terms and conditions on a company.

Advertisement