Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bouncer asks you how much you have had..

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

My mate once said, "Twenty... Five... Thousend! :|"
    Your man just laughed and let him in.

I find walking up with confidence but not looking like a cocky wanker will get you in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

Riddle101 wrote: »
    I was once asked this at Qbar two years ago. I didn't have any drink beforehand, but the bouncer asked me how much drink? and me being a first timer thought he meant how much I was planning to have inside.

This is how it went
    Bouncer: How much drink?
    Me: Eh..... I dunno 5?
    Bouncer: FIVE!!!
    Me: What?
    Bouncer: I asked you how much drink you had?
    Me: Oh........ None.......... I didn't know what you meant.
    Bouncer: Is this your first time?
    Me: Yes
    *bouncer stares at me for a minute"
    Bouncer: Let's see your ID
    *Give bouncer ID*
    Bouncer: Alright you can go in. But don't start acting the p!ss
    Me: Thank You.

Thank god it was a cool bouncer, otherwise I might have been turned away.

most the Qbar bouncers are sound especialy the ginger one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

dont ever say ''ah just had the one'' its usually followed by ''sorry lads not tonight''

i usaully say 4 pints or a few cos lets be honest they aint dumb they are gonna know that you've been out in a pub or drinking in a house before going into a nightclub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

marko91 wrote: »

qbar bouncers are the biggest [EMAIL="w@nkers"]w@nkers[/EMAIL] in town the dumb fcuks cant even make a decision themselves have to rely on some fella watching a screen in the office to make a decision. tramco bouncers at the moment would get my vote for soundest award;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

marko91 wrote: »

I was out on the rip once, the ginger lad was in our company, someone suggested we go to Qbar.

So I asked ginger what the crowd was like, I worked there when it was The Harp (about 20yrs ago!). He said it was a great crowd, no dirtbags & great door staff.

Great! "lets head over".

Sitting at the bar when I get a tap on the shoulder, from a bunch of travellers I'd had barred from The Slaughtered Lamb (Swords). I thought 'here we go'... But I told the guy I wasn't working there - bit of banter & off they went.

Went downstairs and was met with a load of dippers I knew from town, I legged it and told ginger 'Buddy, I wouldn't have your staff work the door of Mothercare'.

Its exceptionally hard to get good doorstaff, and when you do they're the lads getting top buck.

• Advertisement

major bill wrote: »
    dont ever say ''ah just had the one'' its usually followed by ''sorry lads not tonight''

i usaully say 4 pints or a few cos lets be honest they aint dumb they are gonna know that you've been out in a pub or drinking in a house before going into a nightclub.

What if I've only had one... Or none?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

CianRyan wrote: »

I think the context of not saying you've just had just the one is when you are obviously intoxicated and speech is somewhat slurred etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

I furrow my brow, straighten up, and mumble..........' shorry?'
    'oh rice, oh i donch drinkz'
    blink blink
    almost fall over, look completely innocent and docile and they let me in with a - 'go awn so'............ then raise their eyebrows as if to say, who reared her lol..........

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

The usually they'll think you're being a smartarse and won't let you in.Best to say you've had a few even if you're completely sober.

The usually they'll think you're being a smartarse and won't let you in.Best to say you've had a few even if you're completely sober.

Thats the most stupid thing thing I've read all day. Even more depressing if its true.

• Advertisement

Oh god, If I'm ever working on a door and I hear that, they'd be turned away for being a few short.

sesna wrote: »
    Thats the most stupid thing thing I've read all day. Even more depressing if its true.
    It's true try telling a bouncer next time that you're not drinking.They immediately either look suspicous or laugh.

It's true try telling a bouncer next time that you're not drinking.They immediately either look suspicous or laugh.

Oh yeah, because you'd have to be some sort of freak to go out and not drink.

Oh yeah, because you'd have to be some sort of freak to go out and not drink.
    That seems to be they're attitude or they think that you've been on a massive bender and are trying to cover it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

If thats the truth, thats what you tell 'em.

Guys, doorstaff really don't care how much you've had to drink before coming into their pub/club.

From an experienced doorman its just a generic question put to you so he can make a very quick assessment of you & nothing else, and nothing for you to get overly excited about.

If its not that it might be "whats the craic lads", "Lads, are ya all together" or some other bullsh*t question fired out at you.

This crap that clubs have a set male to female ratio, or that girls get in easier than lads - honestly its bullsh*t, doesn't happen - although sometimes it can appear as though thats the case.

Guys, doorstaff really don't care how much you've had to drink before coming into their pub/club.

From an experienced doorman its just a generic question put to you so he can make a very quick assessment of you & nothing else, and nothing for you to get overly excited about.

If its not that it might be "whats the craic lads", "Lads, are ya all together" or some other bullsh*t question fired out at you.
    But what sort of judgement could they make from this.All you are doing is telling them where you were drinking and how much you've had.If you were were doing anything dodgy then you would just lie.You're not going to say "I've had a few pints and a couple of lines of cocaine."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

ive only ever been asked this once and my reply was 4 cans and a half bottle of whiskey....eejit that i am.

Yes. You should have finished that bottle!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Yeah i'd say ur better off saying you've had a few.

There was a work night out a few weeks back. I drew the short straw and had to work till 12. I walked straight to the night club after work and ur man on the door says 'how much have you had tonight' i said none, i'm just after coming from work. He didnt believe me and says 'i wasnt born yesterday, ur not getting in'. I ended up having to ring one of my mates from work who was already up there to come down and back up my story. I got in in the end but not after spending the guts of 20mins at the door.

Although in saying all that, i think that guy was just a prick

That seems to be they're attitude or they think that you've been on a massive bender and are trying to cover it up.

I don't know about you but there is a MASSIVE difference between me being sober and me being on a massive bender.
    They could spot that with out me talking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

eyresquare wrote: »
    Whats the best thing to say to a bouncer when he asks you how much you have had to drink tonight. I always mess it up and need a good answer for them!
    "Just a few cans..." usually does the trick.

Even if youve had nothing to drink dont tell that to the bouncer, he'll automatically
    assume ur trying to get away with being locked and send you off.

• Advertisement

Rycn wrote: »
    "Just a few cans..." usually does the trick.

Even if youve had nothing to drink dont tell that to the bouncer, he'll automatically
    assume ur trying to get away with being locked and send you off.

Not if you're going into a certain so-called pretigious niteclub in Dublin. A few lines of coke would probably go down better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

A guy I know wasnt let into a club one time because he's cross eyed. He hadnt his contact lenses in, so his eyes are going in different directions. Bouncer looks at him "sorry son not tonight" etc.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭Homer

Slightly off topic but on the subject of door staff..

used to work in a club in Dublin and was chatting to the door staff early in the night when two guys come up to the door. One is wearing runners and is politely told no runners so he won't be getting in.
    Fair enough he says and off the two guys go.
    Come back about three minutes later after going around the corner and removing his runners and socks and placing his black socks OVER his runners!
    Door staff fell around laughing and let him in for his ingenuity!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

eyresquare wrote: »
    Whats the best thing to say to a bouncer when he asks you how much you have had to drink tonight. I always mess it up and need a good answer for them!

I always answer in metric. That always confuses them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

I usually say I had two cans in my house before coming out. Don't usually have a problem getting in, once you look sober and alert they'll let you in.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

normally i drop my wallet and throw up on it... that normally gives him a fair idea how much i drank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

major bill wrote: »
    qbar bouncers are the biggest w@nkers in town the dumb fcuks cant even make a decision themselves have to rely on some fella watching a screen in the office to make a decision. tramco bouncers at the moment would get my vote for soundest award;)

Reminded me of the one and only time i went to Trampco a few years ago. Had a few friends over from America so a gang of us headed out. I was locked by the time we got to the door, so the bouncers sent me to get a cup of coffee.

Don't drink coffee, so me and a friend went for a walk to try to sober me up a bit. Came back about 20 minutes later and the bouncer said to me "Did you get a coffee"? I gave him a confused look and said "Coffee, what are you talking about" haha i had forgotten i was at the door 20 minutes before.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭dublin 16 lad

This crap that clubs have a set male to female ratio, or that girls get in easier than lads - honestly its bullsh*t, doesn't happen - although sometimes it can appear as though thats the case.

I know a few owners of clubs and some definitely do keep a general ratio of lads/girls to keep everyone happy

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Have you ever been told 'Go get a cup of coffee and try later'
    Yep, I went round to an offie got a can drank it and came back, bouncer goes "are you any better now", me-"yeah really needed that"
    df1985 wrote: »
    tbh i dont think they care about the answer-its to find out are you slurring your words/do you get aggressive by being asked etc etc, its just to suss you out, what kind of person you are and that.
    Yes, you should be the first one to do the talking, otherwise they think you are hiding something. I usually just go up and say "hows it going lads" they usually open the door and let you in. If they do stop or refuse you act very calm, we used to just stand outside calmly saying "hmm where will we go now" etc. They want to see how would react to a negative situation like are you on the verge of flaring up if somebody was to spill your pint inside. If they say "not tonight" and you go mental they are well pleased you did not get in when you were trying to act all calm.

Reminds me of this brilliant prank phone call. http://www.dublins98.ie/onair/shows/morning-crew/the-2010-world-cup-prank-call/

• Advertisement
Advertisement