Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hair Dye Virgin

• 13-02-2010 12:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

I'm dying my hair for this shave or dye craic for the irish cancer society next week and I dont have a clue what I'm at.

I went to buy some dye and the shop assistant gave me this stuff today. She told me that to get bright red i'd have to bleach my hair first but to be honest I'm not too keen on that because job interviews and such coming up.

If I put this in my hair as it is how will it come out? Any ideas/suggestions? Also, how long should it last?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

dceire wrote: »
    I went to buy some dye and the shop assistant gave me this stuff today. She told me that to get bright red i'd have to bleach my hair first but to be honest I'm not too keen on that because job interviews and such coming up.

If I put this in my hair as it is how will it come out? Any ideas/suggestions? Also, how long should it last?
    I use this in my hair and Im red and also a hairdresser. to use the crazy colour you need to bleach the hair and then put this over it as you were told but the colour could take weeks to fade then your left with blonde hair :confused:

Youd probably be better shaving it to be honest :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

what colour is your hair at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

I use this in my hair and Im red and also a hairdresser. to use the crazy colour you need to bleach the hair and then put this over it as you were told but the colour could take weeks to fade then your left with blonde hair :confused:

Youd probably be better shaving it to be honest :)

As I said I'm not too keen on the whole bleaching thing as I dont want to be left with the blondness... not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just not for me :D

Any ideas as to what it might turn out like if I put it in without bleaching it first? Does it stay in for long or wash out pretty soon after putting it in?

Jenizzle, my hair is kind of a fair brown colour.

Any ideas as to what it might turn out like if I put it in without bleaching it first? Does it stay in for long or wash out pretty soon after putting it in?
    Tis why I asked what colour your hair is at the mo - It'd put a reddish-hue on your hair for a week or two, nothing major but drastic enough. If you wanted it more noticeable you will have to lighten your original colour and perhaps dye over the red when it starts to fade if you didn't want to keep it.

I have that colour in my hair at the moment along with purple and black and I love it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭sunshiner

why not get a hair mascara that will wash out or a spray?if its only a laugh and you dont want a permanent colour it may be an option?

• Advertisement

To be honest i just want it, at very least, to be obviously different to what I have now. Keep it for a couple of days or a week or two and stick some pictures up on the site to keep everyone who sponsored me happy.

I think I'll just stick it in early on Thursday and see what it turns out like, if I'm not happy with it I can head out and look for an alternative or if worst comes to worst I can shave it all off.

Is it as easy to apply as they state?

..ie: i) Wash & shampoo hair ii) Towel dry iii) apply to hair and leave for 15min iv) rinse out

Simple enough for a DIY job right :p

Is it as easy to apply as they state?

..ie: i) Wash & shampoo hair ii) Towel dry iii) apply to hair and leave for 15min iv) rinse out

Simple enough for a DIY job right :p

Don't shampoo your hair if you have no product in it as the colour won't appear as strong - If you do have product in it, use a clarifying shampoo to wash it.

You can find a gallery here. There is one pic with the dye over unbleached hair. You should do a strand test now to see if it'll be bright enough for you :)

jenizzle wrote: »
    Don't shampoo your hair if you have no product in it as the colour won't appear as strong - If you do have product in it, use a clarifying shampoo to wash it.

You can find a gallery here. There is one pic with the dye over unbleached hair. You should do a strand test now to see if it'll be bright enough for you :)

Cool thats brilliant thanks. Looking at that I should be ok.

Excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by 'product'? I'm pursuing you mean an existing dye or something right? :o Just to clarify, I have never put anything more that styling wax in my hair :D

Cool thats brilliant thanks. Looking at that I should be ok.

Excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by 'product'? I'm pursuing you mean an existing dye or something right? :o Just to clarify, I have never put anything more that styling wax in my hair :D

Just stuff like hairspray, wax etc :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

I'm sorry to get all annoying about this subject, but the point of shave or dye is to commit to something that is not usually 'you'. I would see the 'quick' dying option as a cop out.

People have sponsored you because they think your taking a drastic step to help people who are in horrible prediciments which were out of their control and have lost their hair due to treatment etc... if you said you'd dye your hair then go to a salon and get it done properly... it won't be hard to dye your hair back to a browny colour after the 'red' had faded somewhat.

And yes, I'm saying all this and I have not commited to the shave or dye campagin. I thought about it alot but I wasn't able to commit 100% so I didn't sign up.

Kudos for raising money for a good cause though, but I'd ask you to follow through and get it done properly. I'd be pissed if I'd sponsored someone to dye their hair and they'd 'copped out' and stuck a few pics up on a website to 'keep me happy' as you say.

Just my 2c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Last Paddy's Day I bleached and dyed my hair green for a bet, then just dyed over a few days later. Maybe a better option for you?

taram wrote: »
    Last Paddy's Day I bleached and dyed my hair green for a bet, then just dyed over a few days later. Maybe a better option for you?

I think I've settled for using this dye stuff I've gotten and if it doesn't go the may west I'll just shave it all off.

Jenizzle, thanks for all the advice, links etc ;)

Aoife2k... relax, its just a bit of fun for a good cause. If anyone is 'unsatisfied' with the extent to which my hair is, or isn't, dyed and wants a refund on their sponsorship I will be sure to direct them to the Irish Cancer Society who I'm sure will understand fully and duly comply with their request for reimbursement :rolleyes:

Oh I know... it's the best idea I've heard and I'm glad that you decided to raise money for such a great cause.. We all know someone or someone's family who've been devasted by cancer. But even Tony Fenton moaning and groanin on the radio about shavin his head really got me annoyed... and now he's decided that if the totall raised reaches €200,000 he'll shave it.

Throw a pic up on here when you dye!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Where did you get that dye? I'm sick to death of my hair and I love that colour :D

Where did you get that dye? I'm sick to death of my hair and I love that colour :D

I think the place is called 'Salon Direct' & its at the side of the Whitewater shopping center in Newbridge. I'm sure you'd get it in any hair products type place.

Aoife2k, I'll stick a pic up for your approval :D

Here's the pictures as requested...

It took three attempts and to be honest I'm a little disappointed with the results but it'll have to do. As you can see without the bleach it turned out burgundy as opposed to 'Fire Red' and my scalp is pretty much pink. I also have pink ears and neck so at least you cant say I didn't suffer :rolleyes:

dscn0346v.jpg

dscn0360.jpg

dscn0343s.jpg

Fair feckin play :)

Advertisement