Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know a place in Dublin to trade in books?

Options
  • 13-02-2010 2:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

Hey, just an inquiry, does anyone know if there are any bookshops in and around Dublin that will give cash/credit for books?

I have lots and am looking to offload them. Would rather not just give them away as they are still in great condition.

I guess I don't really care what I get for them as long as it's something.

Does such a place exist? That would take in books and give money for them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Lillylilly

Chapters book store is a magical place on Parnell Street will do just this! They pay cash for books, CDs and DVDs. They are brillo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Lillylilly wrote: »
    Chapters book store is a magical place on Parnell Street will do just this!

So the legends were true... :eek:

Cheers, I'm heading into the city tomorrow so I'll bring in a few books and see if they take them.

Cost of bus into town: €3
    Cost of bus home from town: €3
    Money received for books: €3
    Total profit: -€3
    Seeing the look on the employees face as I tried to hide "The Da Vinci Code" in the pile amongst "War and Peace" and "Don Quixote" and having her flat out refuse to take it: Priceless

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Cost of bus into town: €3
    Cost of bus home from town: €3
    Money received for books: €3
    Total profit: -€3
    Seeing the look on the employees face as I tried to hide "The Da Vinci Code" in the pile amongst "War and Peace" and "Don Quixote" and having her flat out refuse to take it: Priceless

This post created a LAUGHING OUT LOUD moment. Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭brumindub

OP, another option would be to donate them to Oxfam.

There is a book shop on Parliament street if you're interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

How many books did you sell to earn three euro?

Nevore wrote: »
    How many books did you sell to earn three euro?

Would of probably been around 5 or 6 books. I didn't want to bring a load in, in case they didn't take them. So worked out about 50c a book.

They where in mint condition though, no dog ears, tearing, writing on any of the pages or discoloration.

Will have to just bring in the rest when I have some other errands to run in the city. A trip in just to exchange the books just isn't worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 cheesydoodles

anybody know anywhere else that'll take them?? chapters told me they were full :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

chapters are frankly insulting in what they will offer for very saleable books. I would rather give books away to random people than sell to them.

There is a book shop in Dun Laoghaire, near the centre, that offers good rates of exchange and cash. Don't remember the name but it's easy to find. They also usually have a good selection in stock -- so they won't buy cr@p.

Also there's a man in the market in Temple Bar at the weekends that will do a good deal on books or comics. He focuses on sci fi / fantasy I think, but will look at other genres also. Again he maintains a good selection, and won't be interested in buying crap, but will give a good rate for stuff he can sell...He used to have a shop in Dundrum that I liked, but it closed when the character of the area changed thanks to the shopping centre. He was good enough to collect a good number of books from me at a decent rate also, on one occasion recently.

Both these businesses will give you more than 10 times what you'll get in chapters, in my experience. Used both a number of times. [Both the ones I recommend. I tried to sell books in chapters twice and both times I walked out without selling because they just take the p!ss tbh]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

The Exchange in dalkey is really good but you can only exchange them for other second hand books they have there - no cash. Still I got about 4 new second hand books for the 7 or 8 I traded in last time, so a decent deal imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

pwd wrote: »
    chapters are frankly insulting in what they will offer for very saleable books. I would rather give books away to random people than sell to them.

I agree, those prices the OP quoted are insane, I'd rather send them off into the world for free at those prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭PADRAGON

Theres a place on talbot street that exchanges books.
    I brought in three decent books in good nick and was
    offered two fifty cash or a fiver credit.Cant remember
    the name of the place its opposite the indo/herald
    building.

Advertisement