Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halo Legends

Options
  • 13-02-2010 2:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭

Anyone watched any of these yet? I picked up the dvd today but won't get to watch it til next week!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

i have seen it (dvd) but only the first 2 or 3 episodes the origin ones hadn't time.
    i wasn't the one who bought it, i may buy my own blu ray version soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

I watched the ones that were on Waypoint. Some are ok. Some are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Spartan 1337 = Dragonball halo

it's the only non-cannon episode don't think it was on waypoint. I think it was funny but i do like dragonball.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I have seen this and found it enjoyable. The only Halo game I have played is ODST because I had heard really bad things about the original series. Not so much the game play but the story side of things.

The first two stories do a good job of filling in the history of the Halo universe, after that one or two episodes are a bit rough but most of them are good, especially the one mentioned above and the baby sitter episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

Spartan 1337 was a bit of disaster. The very last episode, think its called the package was my favorite!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Mark92

anywhere you can watch these again?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

you can rent it on the zune marketplace

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

i'm only watching through origins 1 at the moment but I am a bit confused.
    Cortana talks about the forerunners etc as a seperate species but the halo games heavily hint that humans and forerunners are the same species between the ai's calling humans forerunners to only humans being able to activate forerunner technology to the hidden audio logs in halo 3...If not the same species then there is a direct link at least. But no mention of this is given at all in the segment

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

finished it there.

mostly a big meh from me.

running through them

origins: Very dull, adds nothing new or interesting, comparing to The Second Renaissance in the animatrix it is much weaker. THe strength of the second renaissance is that it muddled and complicated facts we knew from the franchise and made them less black and white and more grey (are the machines evil? etc) in contrast origins does none of this and simply reinforces what we already know from the games and does nothing new or interesting with it.

The Duel: I liked the art style, though the movement looked quite off at points, but it felt very difficult for the story to fit a samurai essance onto a Halo universe story, in fact it doesnt fit well at all in many aspects of it so it was viewing that came with alot of salt.

homecoming: easily one of the better ideas, wasted by very poor execution, the idea and subject was very interesting and offered a different take on the spartans, but it was so poorely executed (animation, pacing, script, editing) that I ended up more annoyed then anything by the end.

Odd one out: I loved this one for its absurdity and its art style and animation quality was among the strongest, it falters at the end with a literal deus ex machina but if it had actually gone on for an episode length (24 minutes) and paced as such, I say it would have been alot better. Yes its stupid and gets stupider by the end, but I think the name of the spartan gives all that away right from the beginning. Dragonball style halo is worth one viewing at least.

Prototype: I think this is the weakest in it (or origins) dull uninteresting plot, that is dragged out by an ok action scene, really nothing happens after it is set up and just ends up wasting time getting to the conclusion we are already expecting. Coupled with again some shoddy animation at points, poor scripting sub par editing and awful dialogue just makes for a dull viewing.

The babysitter is ok, some bits are interesting, the animation is fine at points weak at others, *the twist* can be seen from miles but it was entertaining enough.

The Package is meh, its sort of like if Halo was done like hoe george lucas did the star wars prequel, its flat uninteresting narrative wrapped up in shiny toys and visual set pieces, again an awful script just makes for boring viewing and for an episode that is a direct link to the games it again adds nothing interesting to the series.

Overall it is really a poor man's animatrix. The key difference is that the animatrix alot its shorts to challange and approach different aspects of the content and create truley unique views of the universe.

Here almost all of them are tied down in sub par military melodrama's about duty and sacrifice (Prototype, homecoming, the package, the babysitter) which all tell essentially the same thing. God's sake the dvd should come with a flyer to be all you can be and join the army. That being said the animatrix wasnt perfect, it also is guilty of poorly fitting japanese culture onto the universe of the matrix which is one of that anthology's weaker entries with the episode program. Its just what was good there was *alot* better then what's good here.

give it a watch if you are a halo fan and have the spare cash, but dont expect anything interesting to be said about the universe.

Advertisement