Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who makes the rules ?

Options
  • 13-02-2010 8:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭

"Other lower-calibre guns, which were not on the restricted list and which had been agreed by the national Target Shooters Association and the Olympic Council of Ireland could be just as effective for “putting a hole in a target”, the chief superintendent said."

An interesting statement :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

"Other lower-calibre guns, which were not on the restricted list and which had been agreed by the national Target Shooters Association and the Olympic Council of Ireland could be just as effective for “putting a hole in a target”, the chief superintendent said."

An interesting statement :confused:

No such organisation, which leads me to believe that someone's been using our name in vain.

I've been waiting for a CS to use that in a refusal letter, but so far it hasn't happened. If and when it does, there'll be skin and hair flying :mad:

But if you're in any doubt, go to our website and check the database of recommended pistols for ISSF competition and compare with the Annex F list. You'll find that some of the pistols are on the Annex F list but a great deal of the stuff on the Annex F list isn't on ours.

One of the pistols on the Annex F list wouldn't even comply with the letter of SI 337 or ISSF rules, but I won't say which one because the list is small enough already ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

national Target Shooters Association

National Target Shooting Association

"...a rose By any other name...." (Shakespeare, I think)

I'd say he's definitely taking your name in vain. Let's see the the skin & hair fly.

While we're being pedantic, he's also wrong in referring to "..the restricted list..." There's no such thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

rrpc wrote: »
    No such organisation, which leads me to believe that someone's been using our name in vain.

I think we all know which organisation is being referred to. That statement to me infers that a shooting organisation has/may have made a deal with the DOJ and/or others on the types and calibres of handguns that can be licenced here which puts the whole situation C/F pistol owners now find themselves in in a new light.
    I've been waiting for a CS to use that in a refusal letter, but so far it hasn't happened. If and when it does, there'll be skin and hair flying :mad:

We should ask where/why they are getting this impression so ? :confused:

"Skin and hair flying" ............ my mother used to say "there'll be wigs on the green" :) This kinda backs up my original impression of the FCP in so far as I always and still do reckon the DOJ used it as an information gathering medium and a device to divide & conquer the shooting organisations a ploy used down through the generations on this island by those who wish to further their own aims.

If the shooting participants on the FCP publically published their dealings on the FCP this type of statement would be easier to refute or prove. Apparently the DOJ requested secrecy. In a democracy, secrecy only means one thing and we all know where secrecy has got this country !
    But if you're in any doubt, go to our website and check the database of recommended pistols for ISSF competition and compare with the Annex F list. You'll find that some of the pistols are on the Annex F list but a great deal of the stuff on the Annex F list isn't on ours.

Most of us know the history of the list both the "original" and the current one ;)
    One of the pistols on the Annex F list wouldn't even comply with the letter of SI 337 or ISSF rules, but I won't say which one because the list is small enough already ;).

Hope "big brother" isn't looking today :p

Another prediction ....................... seen as a number of District Court judges are ruling in favour of C/F pistol owners and Gardai appear to looking for adjournments of similar cases the Minister will change the "Restricted" status of C/F pistols to "Prohibited".

Mr.Flibble wrote: »
    national Target Shooters Association

National Target Shooting Association

"...a rose By any other name...." (Shakespeare, I think)

I'd say he's definitely taking your name in vain. Let's see the the skin & hair fly.
    Not on refusal letters though, which is where there would be a legal implication.

And so far there's been no evidence produced in court of this 'agreement' and none asked for... yet.
    While we're being pedantic, he's also wrong in referring to "..the restricted list..." There's no such thing.
    Well it's called the 'restricted firearms and ammunition order' which is more or less the same thing, even though the SI is in the negative and not a list.

..........And so far there's been no evidence produced in court of this 'agreement' and none asked for... yet.............

A Garda CS apparently stated this in a court case he/she is hardly making it up :confused:

• Advertisement

I think we all know which organisation is being referred to. That statement to me infers that a shooting organisation has/may have made a deal with the DOJ and/or others on the types and calibres of handguns that can be licenced here which puts the whole situation C/F pistol owners now find themselves in in a new light.
    Actually it doesn't. You're forgetting that the original SI No. 21 was produced without consultation and that's the basis on which all firearms are deemed either restricted or non-restricted. Nobody batted an eyelid about section 4(2)(e) of tha SI when it was published (check the boards thread on the subject if you want confirmation) and everyone assumed that it meant all .22 pistols, which it didn't and I think I was one of the few lone voices who expressed an opinion on it at the time.
    We should ask where/why they are getting this impression so ? :confused:
    Because someone is trying to pass the buck and point fingers elsewhere. Using repsected organisations to give legitimacy to arbitrary decisions is hardly rocket science (and I'm referring to the OCI here).
    If the shooting participants on the FCP publically published their dealings on the FCP this type of statement would be easier to refute or prove. Apparently the DOJ requested secrecy. In a democracy, secrecy only means one thing and we all know where secrecy has got this country !
    Apparently! That's a good word to use alright.
    Most of us know the history of the list both the "original" and the current one ;)
    You think you do. I actually know where it came from, who wrote it, why it was produced and what gobsh*te(s) are responsible. But that's not for publication here.
    Another prediction ....................... seen as a number of District Court judges are ruling in favour of C/F pistol owners and Gardai appear to looking for adjournments of similar cases the Minister will change the "Restricted" status of C/F pistols to "Prohibited".
    I think you don't need to be giving the Minister ideas. He's had enough to be getting along with :rolleyes:

A Garda CS apparently stated this in a court case he/she is hardly making it up :confused:
    :D:D:D

Really?

:D:D:D

You are actually saying this?

mods, somebody's using bunny shooter's login.

:D

I know he said it, I know where he got it from btw, but what amuses me is what you said about it. I've marked it in bold for you :D

;)

I'll play along as it diverts attention from my opening post :p maybe I'm not fully awake but are you saying he/she has made it up :eek:

• Advertisement

I'll play along as it diverts attention from my opening post :p maybe I'm not fully awake but are you saying he/she has made it up :eek:

No. I'm saying that it's unusual for you to make the statement I boldfaced.

Whether he believes the statement to be true or not is down to him, but I believe he's been told it alright.

No. I'm saying that it's unusual for you to make the statement I boldfaced.

In what way :confused:
    Whether he believes the statement to be true or not is down to him, but I believe he's been told it alright.

I have no doubt he has too and probably from on high in Dublin too :eek: But I bet you it was marked "confidential" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

In a democracy, secrecy only means one thing and we all know where secrecy has got this country !

Yup.So apply the Freedom of information act to request this information from the DOJ.Cost abit mind,like 100euros as "openness and transparency:rolleyes:"must be paid for as well here.Then stick it up here and we have an end to this question.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Yup.So apply the Freedom of information act to request this information from the DOJ.Cost abit mind,like 100euros as "openness and transparency:rolleyes:"must be paid for as well here.Then stick it up here and we have an end to this question.

For it to be released, it has to exist.

Advertisement