Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Botched BIOS Upgrade

Options
  • 13-02-2010 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

Hi. I have a Compaq Presario C350EA (part of the C300 series) that I recently tried to upgrade the BIOS on and failed.

I patched the BIOS with Winphlash, and it said it took ok, but then after powering down it would not power back up. I though at first it would be easy enough to fix this by using the Phoenix Crisis Recovery system, but have not been able to restore it thus far.

I have a recently copy of the Crisis Recovery disk, a previous BIOS from the HP website (BIOS.WPH), and am able to put the disk in a USB floppy and get it to read ok usng the Windows key + B key combination. It reads for a couple of minutes, then I let it sit for another 30, just to make sure, but after that still nothing.

I then tried to disperse the battery to make sure old settings in the CMOS were not causing a conflict. I removed the CMOS battery and held the power button down for a minute, per the service manual instructions. No joy.

Is there another trick to get the crisis recovery to work on these models? Could it be I did fix the BIOS and this is something else? Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

No clue here. But if you can't get it fixed yourself you can buy a new programmed BIOS chip. Google up bios replace or bios repair. I had to do this myself about 5 years ago.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

take the CMOS out for 20 minutes, as well as any power going to the system. see if that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Took out the battery, unplugged the adapter, and removed the CMOS battery for an hour, no luck.

No clue here. But if you can't get it fixed yourself you can buy a new programmed BIOS chip. Google up bios replace or bios repair. I had to do this myself about 5 years ago.

I was looking into that, but the cost for a laptop chip is around 70-100 quid and you need an SMD station and proper equipment to do the job, else you have to ship it there and back for another 70-100 quid. A new motherboard is only 90 and can be don by anyone with a screwdriver in about 20 minutes.

Also this laptop is only valued at €200. A new better laptop would only be €300. Paying over half the price to fix the BIOS seems silly - I wonder how those BIOS guys make any money these days considering the price of a new laptop (or on ebay a used one) is about the same as fixing the BIOS.

I just wanted to get this one working if possible. If I can't find any fixes I'll just get a new motherboard sure.

I found a thread on MyDigitalLife.Info about fixing BIOS and found three other lads with HP laptops and the same issue. I'm hoping one of them figured out a solution. I'll keep ye posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

CptSternn wrote: »
    I was looking into that, but the cost for a laptop chip is around 70-100 quid and you need an SMD station and proper equipment to do the job, else you have to ship it there and back for another 70-100 quid. A new motherboard is only 90 and can be don by anyone with a screwdriver in about 20 minutes.

Also this laptop is only valued at €200. A new better laptop would only be €300. Paying over half the price to fix the BIOS seems silly - I wonder how those BIOS guys make any money these days considering the price of a new laptop (or on ebay a used one) is about the same as fixing the BIOS.

I just wanted to get this one working if possible. If I can't find any fixes I'll just get a new motherboard sure.

I found a thread on MyDigitalLife.Info about fixing BIOS and found three other lads with HP laptops and the same issue. I'm hoping one of them figured out a solution. I'll keep ye posted.
    Sorry, I didn't realise that it was a laptop.

• Advertisement

Sorry, I didn't realise that it was a laptop.

I apologise for not mentioning it above. Your right on the mark though, it does need a new BIOS and that would fix the problem, its just these days the price of getting a new one put into a laptop costs as much as a new laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Know anyone with an identical one?
    http://www.overclock.net/faqs/102206-how-hotflash-your-bios-chip.html

Finding someone isn't the hard bit, its convincing them to let You open it :D

Edit, does a laptop even have a removable bios chip? Most new mobo's don't, instead they have an eeprom on the board

Advertisement