Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New VW Polo TDI

• 13-02-2010 8:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭

My grandad is very interested in getting this new polo TDI but I find it strange that for a 1.6 engine you only get 75bhp? It seems a nice car though and very comfortable. Hes had a good few VWs over the years andd most of them diesel so its hard to convince him otherwise

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Given our new tax system, I would have thought a 1.6 75bhp would be better than a smaller-capacity engine with the same power? More reliable, perhaps a better spread of power, etc? Might be a bit heavier than a smaller engine though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

different turbo and the thing would be a miser on diesel. I'd say the small power output is more down to fuel economy, it seems strange alright though, you can get 110 bhp (and higher with a mod) from a 1.6 Hdi or TDI.
    You should be looking at 70 mpg or there abouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

I wouldnt mind about that. There is no reason to convince him otherwise in my opinion anyway.

I have a 1.9 90 horsepower TDI with my Golf estate, bigger car, definitely heavier but its still fine powerwise. If you divide the horsepower by the engine size both the 1.6 75 and the 1.9 90 will get a similar answer. About 46ish horsepower per litre so thats why I would think the engine is fine for the car.

Is it a BlueMotion Polo?
    Id say the engine is tuned to give better MPG anyway and it makes sense that a bigger engine tuned to give better MPG is better then a smaller engine tuned to give the same horse power as the bigger engine. Id imagine you would stress the bigger engine less then you would the smaller one in certain situations.

Its a trend with VW though. Back when my particular TDI engine was being made you could get 90, 110, 130 (from memory, could be out a lil bit) horsepower from the same basic block. Different turbos and injectors Im sure are the reason why they can get the same basic block to the higher HP outputs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

There's a higher power 1.6 diesel available in UK. Think it's 90 brake or something. Would probably be possible to get one ordered I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Presuming it's the same engine in the A3, they have it producing 105BHP in that case.

I'd echo those above and say it's been tuned down to give increased fuel economy and lower CO2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Volkswagen probably have it mapped to 75 for co2 tax purposes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

bbk wrote: »
    I wouldnt mind about that. There is no reason to convince him otherwise in my opinion anyway.

I have a 1.9 90 horsepower TDI with my Golf estate, bigger car, definitely heavier but its still fine powerwise. If you divide the horsepower by the engine size both the 1.6 75 and the 1.9 90 will get a similar answer. About 46ish horsepower per litre so thats why I would think the engine is fine for the car.

Is it a BlueMotion Polo?
    Id say the engine is tuned to give better MPG anyway and it makes sense that a bigger engine tuned to give better MPG is better then a smaller engine tuned to give the same horse power as the bigger engine. Id imagine you would stress the bigger engine less then you would the smaller one in certain situations.

Its a trend with VW though. Back when my particular TDI engine was being made you could get 90, 110, 130 (from memory, could be out a lil bit) horsepower from the same basic block. Different turbos and injectors Im sure are the reason why they can get the same basic block to the higher HP outputs.
    Well at the moment hes got the seat cordoba, 05 with 64k KM so financially it doesnt really make sense. No its not the Bluemotion, thats going to be a 1.2 TDI and I dont thin its out in Ireland yet. It does come in a 90bhp but at a higher price .

After finally finding a place that has one the best price they have gotten is €13,200. Thats still more than what I had been thinking. They have a 2005 Seat Cordoba TDI with 64000 km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

ryanf1 wrote: »
    After finally finding a place that has one the best price they have gotten is €13,200. Thats still more than what I had been thinking. They have a 2005 Seat Cordoba TDI with 64000 km

Is the €13,200 price the cash price, ie he is not trading the Cordoba in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

75 would be plenty, the old model Yaris D-4D was 75bhp as well and that was plenty fast, it probably has buckets of torque.

• Advertisement

No the cash price is 18 something(comfortline), I Cant exactly remember but that price includes metallic paint. Hes getting about €6k for his own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

No the cash price is 18 something(comfortline), I Cant exactly remember but that price includes metallic paint. Hes getting about €6k for his own.

RRP of 18,220 for the 1.6tdi comfortline...

http://www.volkswagen.ie/media/country/ie/x/pdf_downloads/product_guides.Par.0001.File.pdf/polo_a05_january_2010.pdf

Seems mad money for a Polo...

Yeah but delivery and metallic will put another grand on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

€6k for his own is crazy if you ask me, low mileage too, if he were to sell it private he should get 8k no problem and might push closer to 9k if the right person wants it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

€6k for his own is crazy if you ask me, low mileage too, if he were to sell it private he should get 8k no problem and might push closer to 9k if the right person wants it.

Sorry but 5 year old Cordobas are not fetching anywhere near €8/9k even if they had 0 miles on them. There is a 06 on carzone with low mileage asking €6,900, you can buy a brand new one with delivery mileage for under €13k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

05 Cordobas are worth nowhere near 9k. they're seriously unloved - it's an 05 not an 08 or 09

colm_mcm wrote: »
    05 Cordobas are worth nowhere near 9k. they're seriously unloved - it's an 05 not an 08 or 09
    I was hoping for around €7,000 myself. It was €18,500 new

But it's 5 years old - do you really expect to only suffer €2k depreciation per annum?

They bought a highline with metallic paint and mudflaps included for €15,300

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

They bought a highline with metallic paint and mudflaps included for €15,300

That's a seriously good deal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Nah trade in surely? How much did he get for the Cordoba in the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 spids

i wud go with the golf gdi bit more stylish but thats just me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

If you mean a golf TDi, i completely agree, superminis with diesel engines are still comparatively dear compared to the petrol models in this country so it makes sense to pay out a small bit extra and go for a diesel model of the class above

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Nah trade in surely? How much did he get for the Cordoba in the end
    €5900 I think and then they managed to get a bit off the new one on top of that
    spids wrote: »
    i wud go with the golf gdi bit more stylish but thats just me
    If he had the money it would be Golf TDI no contest

Advertisement