Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orange Light is Sky

Options
  • 13-02-2010 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

I know this sounds daft, and no I was not drinking.

I live half way between Gorey and Arklow. At about 1am a big bright orange light rose from the west and went across the sky and went off to the south. It was travelling slow enough and was really really bright, like a really big star but orange. It was just below the cloud line. I rang Astronomy Ireland this morning and the guy said it was a chineese latern, one of these things people leave off at parties, ah no it wasn't. It was too slow to be a meteor. It wasn't an aircraft.

Did anyone else see this?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Wizard007 wrote: »

I live half way between Gorey and Arklow. At about 1am a big bright orange light rose from the west and went across the sky and went off to the south. It was travelling slow enough and was really really bright, like a really big star but orange. It was just below the cloud line. I rang Astronomy Ireland this morning and the guy said it was a chineese latern, one of these things people leave off at parties, ah no it wasn't. It was too slow to be a meteor. It wasn't an aircraft.

Hi Wizard there is a lot of strange sightings around your Area especially around Coolgreaney Maybe you saw a Satellite
    The one Sky digital use :D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Wizard007

scaller wrote: »
    Hi Wizard there is a lot of strange sightings around your Area especially around Coolgreaney Maybe you saw a Satellite
    The one Sky digital use :D:D:D:D

Very funny you :p

Yes, I think it's a sign. Holiday needed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Bolt82

iv seen things like this lately and i live in rosslare. Iv seen quite alot of them but i think they were just chinnese lanterns. Although the ones i saw moved strangly!

This didn't veer off course. It just went in a smooth line from west to south. If it was a chineese lantern it would not have gone that smoothly I don't think.

was it a windy night? The night i saw lights like that there were 2 of them and one stayed in the same position all the time and the other came from the bottom left up near the other and then went of to the upper left again. While the second stayed in the same place all the time.

I tried to use my iphone to get some video or a picture but the camera on it couldnt pick them up.

• Advertisement

No it was calm enough. I was afraid to go back inside to get the camera in case it was gone when I went back out. It prob wouldn't pick it up anyway.

I'm sitting here like an eejit waiting for something to happen again tonight :o Sad or what. I'm just so convinced it wasn't a lantern.

I know these lanterns are big things at the moment around wexford but i have heard alot of people talk about things they have seen and admitidly some things sound like the lanterns but others dont.

I originally from Kildare and i know there was alot of talk up there last year about odd things appearing in the sky at night. I think there is a topic on this board somewhere about it!

Over the last year or so there seems to be a massive increase in sightings all over europe. And they are all describing the same things!

I don't know what to think. I have a camera with video on it and I'm leaving it on the window inside the back door so next time if I see something I can just grab it on the way out.

They can't all be lanterns surely. And a latern wouldn't be that steady.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Could this be something to do with the number of new Head shops in the South East? :D

Could this be something to do with the number of new Head shops in the South East? :D

Very funny :p No I don't indulge. Maybe I should :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

So it wasn't an aircraft, wasn't a meteor, Astronomy Ireland say it was a chinese lantern but you say "it wasn't" based on.....what exactly?
    What do you think it was?

Given that chinese lanterns are hugely popular at the moment for weddings, parties etc and lots of people on boards have started reporting them in the past year or two http://www.boards.ie//vbulletin/search.php?searchid=10589090 and given that Astronomy Ireland didn't start hopping around with this new amazing discovery, it was, most likely, a CHINESE LANTERN.

There is a possibility of course that it was aliens, a tiny protostar that happened to pass through our atmosphere, a tear in the space/time continuum but, talking probabilities, it was, most likely, a CHINESE LANTERN.
    Don't bother with photographs, we've all seen them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV7nQU7iaCg

If it looks like a dog, and barks like a dog....etc.

Ah you're taking the pi$$ now. No it didn't look like that..... though it was so far away..... hmmm maybe if you cover it in really bright orange bulbs?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

No, I'm not, seriously. It was a chinese lantern. Sorry to disappoint you!

Sleipnir wrote: »
    So it wasn't an aircraft, wasn't a meteor, Astronomy Ireland say it was a chinese lantern but you say "it wasn't" based on.....what exactly?
    What do you think it was?

Given that chinese lanterns are hugely popular at the moment for weddings, parties etc and lots of people on boards have started reporting them in the past year or two http://www.boards.ie//vbulletin/search.php?searchid=10589090 and given that Astronomy Ireland didn't start hopping around with this new amazing discovery, it was, most likely, a CHINESE LANTERN.

There is a possibility of course that it was aliens, a tiny protostar that happened to pass through our atmosphere, a tear in the space/time continuum but, talking probabilities, it was, most likely, a CHINESE LANTERN.
    Don't bother with photographs, we've all seen them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV7nQU7iaCg

If it looks like a dog, and barks like a dog....etc.

That's not what I saw. Your attitude sucks :mad:

That was directed at Judgement Day, not you.

Judgement Day - name is fitting :rolleyes:

I like the invaders piece. Very funny :p

If David Vincient can see them then so can I :p

Sorry for the piss taking - just bored out of my mind waiting for the England v Italy match to start. I like the idea of UFOs etc but have never seen more than a shooting star myself. Big fan of Dr.Who, Space 1999 and, of course, the original Invaders series. I will leave you in peace now and switch over to the rugby. Happy UFO hunting. :D

No problem, enjoy the match :)

I did see somthing you know? I wasn't making it up :rolleyes:

Be good :p

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭maroon

i wouldnt worry about these smart comments.I have seen similar orange light couple of months ago and it freaked me out. it was flying low enough and in a steady controlled like manner.I've seen chinese lanterns before and this one didnt look like one.much more controlled and steady speed.

just because its orange and its flying doesnt meen it has to be a chinese lantern.

:pac:
    No problem, enjoy the match :)

I did see somthing you know? I wasn't making it up :rolleyes:

Be good :p

• Advertisement

Like I said before it was too steady to be a chineese lantern. It was also too bright. And I wasn't freaked at all to be honest - I think they were friendly :p

Seriously though, it wasn't a lantern. Himself here is starting to take the pi$$ now too. He saw it also but now he's saying it was triangular with lights :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭maroon

we are being researched on a regular basis - in my modest opinion :)
    whatever it is we should just keep our mind open.

Like I said before it was too steady to be a chineese lantern. It was also too bright. And I wasn't freaked at all to be honest - I think they were friendly :p

Seriously though, it wasn't a lantern. Himself here is starting to take the pi$$ now too. He saw it also but now he's saying it was triangular with lights :rolleyes:

I am keeping my mind open, and my eyes ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Shayman

It would be very arrogant to believe we are the only form of intellegent life in the universe. The only thing that ever bothers me about it is that those out there could/probably way more intellegent than us?:o

Shayman wrote: »
    It would be very arrogant to believe we are the only form of intellegent life in the universe. The only thing that ever bothers me about it is that those out there could/probably way more intellegent than us?:o
    That wouldn't be too hard for them at all :p

Well lets face it. If they find our world before we found there they are more likely to be more intellegent then us. The fact that they figured out how to travel such distences before we did kinda shows if they do exist and are already looking over us they are surely more intellegent then we are

I'm after turning the interweb insideout and the you tube or google results I'm finding for those bloody lanterns are not even remotely like what I saw. It wasn't a glow.

The truth is out there Bolt, the truth is out there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

It was a chinese lantern. It's the chinese new year. Lots of sightings of these. Move along.

dlofnep wrote: »
    It was a chinese lantern. It's the chinese new year. Lots of sightings of these. Move along.

No it wasn't. You're entitled to your opinion as I am to mine :)

It was not a lantern!

• Advertisement

dlofnep wrote: »

Who would be releasing chinese lanterns at about 2 or 3 in the morning? Im not saying they werent but the ones i saw didnt look like they were being controled by the wind which lanterns would be. One stayed exactly still while the other moved and changed directions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement