Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lecture on Flooding: March 4th

Options
  • 13-02-2010 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

Lecture: "Dublin Coastal Flood Forecasting & Monitoring System"

By: Tony Maguire, Dublin City Council Engineer

When: Thursday March 4th at 7:30pm

Where: Trinity College Dublin, Botany Lecture Theatre (near rugby pitch)

For more information see www.irishmetsociety.org

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭IrishMetSoc

This lecture is on this Thurs ...

For more info see www.irishmetsociety.org and www.floodresiliencity.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Thanks for the reminder:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭highdef

So who went??? I thought it was rather interesting alright. The main problem I had was the heat in the room. I began to get a bit dozy half way through because of it. And just like the last lecture I was at there, I was trying to figure out who the boardsies where!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

highdef wrote: »
    So who went??? I thought it was rather interesting alright. The main problem I had was the heat in the room. I began to get a bit dozy half way through because of it. And just like the last lecture I was at there, I was trying to figure out who the boardsies where!!!

I was there too and agree with you re the heat of the room - and aren't those seats hard too!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I wasn't there, but definitely that room is as stuffy as hell at the best of times. Rather antiquated but it has its charms. Assuming it was to be held in TCD in the first instance, there were more comfortable and well-equipped venues to hold this in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭highdef

Well on the upside, it's good to hear that the only negative comments so far relate to the heat in the room rather than the lecture itself. And yes, those seats are amazingly uncomfortable alright. Oddly enough, I began to feel less uncomfortable towards the end of the lecture. I think my body had given up on protesting against the hard seats!!!

Su Campu, the funny thing about our boards personas is that we could've been sitting beside each other and we would've never known!!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Yes it was a good talk overall, I had no idea so much research has been going on recently. The most interesting bit though was about the seiches, I'd never heard about them before, and Tony's analogy about the girating in the bathtub was excellent! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Would really love if all of these lectures were not based in Dublin, it would encourage more people who live away from the 'big smoke' to attend them.

I.M.S. Any chance you could hold all your lectures in the new term in Galway, that would be really handy....

for me...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Would really love if all of these lectures were not based in Dublin, it would encourage more people who live away from the 'big smoke' to attend them.

I.M.S. Any chance you could hold all your lectures in the new term in Galway, that would be really handy....

for me...:D

Get real paddy1. There is no way Met Eireann will besmirch their fine reputation by holding a Lecture in the ninth circle of hell that is Galway:D

But seriously you do have a fair point. I think A summer lecture in Galway would attract quite a few people to it.

the ninth circle of hell that is Galway:D

:p

• Advertisement

I've just come up with a cunning plan to solve that pesky Mayo problem:

106857.jpg

The final solution. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

I was there too:) thought the last one was more interesting, but there were some interesting parts in to this one too. I agree Su, the seats are very hard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭IrishMetSoc

Thanks for all of your feedback. I agree with you - the seats are uncomfortable and it was too warm in the lecture hall.

The reason why most of our events are held in Dublin is that 95% of our members are from Dublin or neighbouring counties.

However, we will be hosting events outside Dublin next season (btw Met Soc is not Met Eireann ....). We are organising a trip to Valentia Observatory next October - it will be a weekend event: 3 lectures (one by Evelyn Cusack), tour of the Observatory (seismology, weather balloon, lightening, phenology, geomagnetism and lots more), trip to Valentia island to see the Tetrapod tracks, quiz......

It is also very likely that the next conference that we hold will be at a non-Dublin venue.

Thanks again for your feedback.

PS I will look into holding a lecture in Galway during the summer.

Advertisement