Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good news?

Options
  • 13-02-2010 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭

for retailers here?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article7025833.ece
    A rise in VAT is looming whichever party wins the general election, as Labour and the Conservatives draw up plans to balance Britain’s books.

Alistair Darling and George Osborne, the Shadow Chancellor, are both considering raising VAT to as high as 20 per cent — the European average — from the current rate of 17.5 per cent, The Times has learnt.

this would make Northern Ireland not as attractive of a shopping destination?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

I dont think a 2.5% rise in VAT will do anything.

Consider a good that is being sold pre-tax for £100. The current price is £117.50. After the VAT raise it would be £120. Thats a 2.1% rise in price from £117.50. Not that significant to be honest.

Now factor in that retailers such as clothes shops usually round their prices up or down to the next €5. So I would imagine such a move will only impact in a big way upon large products such as cars.

(This is all assuming that my sums and methods are right).

The only noticeable effect I ever see with changes in VAT rates is with my hosting company, who price their products pre-tax and then add on the tax rate afterwards. Even at that, I had to pay an enormous 6c extra for a domain after the VAT increase in the budget before last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

according to retailers here our previous vat increase "hurt" them
    so the same happening to a competitor should be seen as a gain?

tho you are right it is rather small, the currency fluctuation and difference between euro and pound is a bigger variable i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

also dont forget EUR/GBP has gone from .93 in Oct to .87 recently. There is still the problem of higher salaries and rates I assume are higher here

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement