Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Betfair hacked???

• 13-02-2010 12:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭

Anybody ever have their betfair account hacked into?? :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Details?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Verance

4 bets placed last night on my account but i wasn't even logged on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭cson

Verance wrote: »
    4 bets placed last night on my account but i wasn't even logged on!

That wouldn't coincide with the time you got home after a few pints would it? :p

cson wrote: »
    That wouldn't coincide with the time you got home after a few pints would it? :p
    Course not! Seriously though, lots of money lost :( Rang them and got the account suspended, anybody know what the chances are of getting the money back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭pizzor

Course not! Seriously though, lots of money lost :( Rang them and got the account suspended, anybody know what the chances are of getting the money back?

probably no chance at all, they'll just say 'you should of changed your password every month or so".

• Advertisement

Has this ever happened anybody else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭Juwwi

did u get them to check the accounts of the people ur money was matched with ?

could of been the same person matched all the bets but more likely there has been other incidents with the persons account.

Have you ever given access to your account to anyone else. Have used my brother's a couple of times..(with his consent of course) and he has forgotten about it when he sees statements. Little git even spent my winnings once :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,853 ✭✭✭Trampas

what bets where they on?

Was it areas that you never have bet on?

robbie1977 wrote: »
    did u get them to check the accounts of the people ur money was matched with ?

could of been the same person matched all the bets but more likely there has been other incidents with the persons account.

Yeah, i was thinking that.. Their fraud team is looking into it anyway. Does anybody know what odds Thomas Bellucci should have been in the tennis last night, i ''backed'' him at 1.80 apparently.

• Advertisement

Trampas wrote: »
    what bets where they on?

Was it areas that you never have bet on?
    Four bets on three different tennis matches and I never bet on tennis.

Desn't sound good at all but I am sure they have a capable fraud investigation team. I assume they will look at your betting history and see your pattern ie bet size, sport etc...would assume they can also check IPs etc. and who they were matched against. Hope this all works out..were there sizeable stakes involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭txpjl

OP, how do you access the web?

Do you use a wireless device at home? If so, is it secure?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭yaaaboy

Id say that could be difficult. Sure i could have a few bets on something i never bet on 2nite and if i lose say my account was hacked into..

It has surely happened before so maybe they are aware of the problem, if they believe it was hacked they might give it back, could they find out what ip address was used or from what area/country it was done from i wonder?

Collie D wrote: »
    Desn't sound good at all but I am sure they have a capable fraud investigation team. I assume they will look at your betting history and see your pattern ie bet size, sport etc...would assume they can also check IPs etc. and who they were matched against. Hope this all works out..were there sizeable stakes involved?

Yup, 3 large bets that lost and a bet for five euro which won - typical!
    yaaaboy wrote: »
    Id say that could be difficult. Sure i could have a few bets on something i never bet on 2nite and if i lose say my account was hacked into..

It has surely happened before so maybe they are aware of the problem, if they believe it was hacked they might give it back, could they find out what ip address was used or from what area/country it was done from i wonder?

Yeah they have all the IP addresses that logged onto the account so hopefully they can find something from that. There was one from the UK last monday but then it was an Irish one which logged on last night, neither of which were mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

key loggers or the like on your system, have you done a virus scan>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

It happens all the time in relation to poker accounts. Betfair gives you the option to check IP logon's -> Go to my security in your account page and you can see all the different IP's that have accessed your account recently.

The two most common way people will hack your account is either via your email account so check this and make sure it hasn't been compromised. The second is via Keylogger/trojon so do a full scan of your computer.

Here is the first of an excellent 10 part series on how to protect yourself. While its made specifically with poker accounts in mind its the same principle for gambling/exchange accounts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppyb_5Oy33U

Well that just plain sucks, man. Hope it all gets sorted out. Keep us posted.

Just got an email from BF

Thank you for your e-mail.

My colleague raised a ticket with our Fraud department who have investigated into the matter. They say that the logins look inconclusive and the action on the account looks out of character. It may be the case that the account was compromised.
    We are still awaiting Full Login Data which should be available soon. Once this is available we will be able to give you more information.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any further enquiries.

Kind regards,

Charles Timpson

Betfair Helpdesk

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭gorrrr72

My account was hacked on Sunday and they deposited €5100 from my credit card and bet it all on 1 big bet which lost. Betfair said that they confirmed my account was hacked but according to the terms and conditions it's my responsibility to keep my account secure and check my pc for viruses etc.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭pejesus

i just checked the ip on my secuirty and there was 4 which i didnt use all in ireland no money was used as my acc is empty and card i use is maxed but some one defo has been logged on :eek::eek:

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

It uses a UK IP Address when you sign up for some of the "promotions" so don't worry about weird UK IP's on your recent login thing, Unless you haven't signed up for one of the promotions obviously.

Hey, I PM'd you guys. Btw if anybody is using the same password for boards and gambling accounts I'd suggest to change them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

That sucks dude

Hope you get it sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭POINTBREAK

Hey, I PM'd you guys. Btw if anybody is using the same password for boards and gambling accounts I'd suggest to change them.

That is horrible. Why would anyone do it? I mean they can't benefit financially from it , can they? Is it just a malicious hack?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭pejesus

they could match bets with their own acc. if they set the odds for say something like the price of 5.6 for 100 euro to back when the real price should be 1.20 then hack into an account and lay the odds of 5.6 for 560 euro this is the only way i could see them making money ? any one else got any ideas or is this how they do it .

Yeah that's how they do it supposedly, think it's called account dumping. It should be easy to catch though, just see which accounts benefited, but it's not :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭coughlan08

my brother works for apple in cork,under the mobile communications and security side of things,basically he has access to software that enables him to see you bought what,time,location of every single customer that pays my credit/debit card for any apple products worldwide,really anything bar cash and he is able to access peoples personal details that they think are private,sportsbetting being one of them,its scary stuff,

il just give this example and il shut up then,i bought a new apple ipod about 3 weeks ago,he was able to bring up that i bought it on ebay,price etc.and from that was then able to find out my full credit card number,expiry date,thus he could use this to deposit funds or whatever he pleady well liked.

now he wasnt able to get mepassword but was able to resend it and make up his own.of course being in possesion of this software comes responsibility,,
    just thought you should know that there is software out there that if it gets in the hands of the wrong people it can do harmful things,like in your case above,
    best of luck with it anyway..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

www.3v.ie

www.paypal.com

and you cba if anyone logs into your account.

• Advertisement

pejesus wrote: »
    they could match bets with their own acc. if they set the odds for say something like the price of 5.6 for 100 euro to back when the real price should be 1.20 then hack into an account and lay the odds of 5.6 for 560 euro this is the only way i could see them making money ? any one else got any ideas or is this how they do it .

That sounds tricky enough. Mainly because the betfair software matches you with the first price in the queue. You would need an event with no money at all in the market to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

dreamers75 wrote: »
    www.3v.ie

www.paypal.com

and you cba if anyone logs into your account.

cba?

can you use English by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭gorrrr72

I was talking to the Betfair fraud guys and they said that the hackers deposit onto your account with your credit card which is already registered to your account.
    They then make a large bet on a 50/50 chance. If the bet wins they deposit the money taken from your card back into it and that leaves them free to transfer the remaining profit to a PayPal account etc.

They then go back for another deposit and keep going until either the bet loses or the account irregularities are discovered and locked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

POINTBREAK wrote: »
    That sounds tricky enough. Mainly because the betfair software matches you with the first price in the queue. You would need an event with no money at all in the market to do that.
    A market with nothing on it is easy to find.

Mellor wrote: »
    A market with nothing on it is easy to find.

In that case it should be fairly easy to identify the suspects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Kod-box

I nearly $hit myself there, logged in and the balance was €0 from what should have been €570, checked my account statement and it was alright though, dunno why its showing €0 still?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

POINTBREAK wrote: »
    In that case it should be fairly easy to identify the suspects.

Still hard to get back. Unless there is proof that the IPs are the same I can't see how they can take the money back. He can just claim he stumbled across the market accidentally or some other plausible excuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Still hard to get back. Unless there is proof that the IPs are the same I can't see how they can take the money back. He can just claim he stumbled across the market accidentally or some other plausible excuse.

He would likely have a simlar IP to the one that hacked the acc.
    Or if it was accross a few markets, all with the person hacked etc

Advertisement