Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hiddink to step down in June

• 13-02-2010 12:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭

This is a surprise to be honest. One of the world's best managers imo. Has to be good news for Ireland with the Euro qualifiers starting in September. Also Liverpool have been heavily linked with him.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/0213/hiddinkg.html

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Yahoo!

Not spam^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Good news for Ireland, they won't get a better manager.
    I don't think it's a surprising move though, it's been rumoured for months now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ireland? LOL. Liverpool most likely I'd say (or Notts County)

Oh I see...:o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

mike65 wrote: »
    Ireland? LOL. Liverpool most likely I'd say (or Notts County)

Oh I see...:o
    You lol'ing at Ireland? We don't take kindly to yer folk.....
    :)

He won't go to pool imo. I'd say Abramovich will offer him cash to take a role at Chelsea, don't think he'd let him get away and make a contender outa someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

He announced that he was stepping in June before Christmas, and publicly stated that he wants to manage full time in England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

He's good, but he's massively overrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Brilliant- can only mean Russia are much weaker in the Euro groups- we should have a much better chance of qualifying now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Rosco1982 wrote: »

Care to elaborate on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Rosco1982 wrote: »

An average win ratio of almost 60% since 1987 over the course of ten different managerial positions suggests that he is very good.

He may get overrated in some quarters, but the rated abilities of most managers carries a degree of hyperbole one way or another.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Kess73 wrote: »
    An average win ratio of almost 60% since 1987 over the course of ten different managerial positions suggests that he is very good.

He may get overrated in some quarters, but the rated abilities of most managers carries a degree of hyperbole one way or another.

What he did with South Korea was so good that they named a World Cup stadium after him! Their first ever win in a group stage in five straight World Cups, beating Italy 2-1 and taking them to the semi finals - impressive for a team that had never won a game in the World Cup before!

He brought Australia to their first World cup in about 30 years, I think the guy is worth the slight overrattedness that is afforded to him.

I agree it is good news for Ireland, wonder who Russia will find as a new manager, presuming the search has started already?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

rebel girl 15 that game against Italy was decided by two outrageous refereeing decisions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

He brought Australia to their first World cup in about 30 years, I think the guy is worth the slight overrattedness that is afforded to him.

thats really not all that impressive considering the quality of teams australia face to qualify, terry venables had australia at the world cup in 1998 only for a late goal to knock them out on away goals, what most of those aussie guys needed was a simple kick up the ass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

mike65 wrote: »
    rebel girl 15 that game against Italy was decided by two outrageous refereeing decisions

The penalty was not an outragous decision at all. Neill lunged into a stupid tackle and Grosso caught himself onto his leg. It's a clear penalty regardless if Grosso played for it or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Bubs101 wrote: »
    The penalty was not an outragous decision at all. Neill lunged into a stupid tackle and Grosso caught himself onto his leg. It's a clear penalty regardless if Grosso played for it or not

I think Mike was referring to the South Korea match, but I agree with you about the Italy Australia match. The amount of sh1te spewed after that match about how the Aussies had been robbed and so on was unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

As of this morning he has been linked with the Turkish national team job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

DenMan wrote: »
    As of this morning he has been linked with the Turkish national team job.

Really doubt he'll take that job. I know the Turks are meant to be offering silly money for it, but it just doesn't seem high profile enough for him. And hasn't Hiddink gone on record saying he wants a return to club management?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Really doubt he'll take that job. I know the Turks are meant to be offering silly money for it, but it just doesn't seem high profile enough for him. And hasn't Hiddink gone on record saying he wants a return to club management?

Considering he has managed South Korea and Australia I wouldn't be surprised by anything he does.

It's been mentioned that Abramovich might offer him a position upstairs at Chelsea to ward off Liverpool who have been linked with him. Doubt Abramovich would want him going to a domestic rival looking to get back to their older glory days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Well for us last year ( Chelsea ) he was excellent, managed to pull us together after a terrible Scolari reign and he settled the ship and had us palying the soccer we know we could.

Giving a choice between him and Ancelloti, at the time I would have taking Hiddink, just, he is a top drawer manager and no matter where he goes he will have a huge positive influence and will bring a wealth of knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

It's been mentioned that Abramovich might offer him a position upstairs at Chelsea to ward off Liverpool who have been linked with him. Doubt Abramovich would want him going to a domestic rival looking to get back to their older glory days.

This thing keeps getting mentioned but are there any quotes or links to back it up, or just wishful thinking from Chelsea fans? Can't see Hiddink settling for a background role when he'd walk into a job at a top English team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

JPA wrote: »
    Considering he has managed South Korea and Australia I wouldn't be surprised by anything he does.

Perhaps, he does seem to have that unpredictable streak to him.

However, Imo South Korea was considerably higher profile though considering they were World Cup hosts and got a huge amount of media coverage long before the bat.

And Australia was a part time gig, and I dare say it as an English speaking nation, rightly or wrongly, would again be a considerably higher profile gig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

He could do a great job at city and I Know Mancini is just in but rich owners tend to be impatient

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

He could do a great job at city and I Know Mancini is just in but rich owners tend to be impatient

They gave Hughes a decent amount of time considering he was not 'their man' to begin with.

There was talk from the off that Mancini is just a stop gap til their real target becomes available in the summer - either Mourinho or Hiddink. Over the weekend though there was talk of a new contract for Mancini.

Well there we are, it's confirmed. Hiddink will become the new manager of the Turkish national team. Any thoughts. Will Germany will be worried about this with the Euro 2012 draw? Turkey might top the group if things go well for Hiddink.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/8513955.stm

Group A

Germany
    Turkey
    Austria
    Belgium
    Kazakhstan
    Azerbaijan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Well there we are, it's confirmed. Hiddink will become the new manager of the Turkish national team. Any thoughts. Will Germany will be worried about this with the Euro 2012 draw? Turkey might top the group if things go well for Hiddink.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/8513955.stm

Group A

Germany
    Turkey
    Austria
    Belgium
    Kazakhstan
    Azerbaijan

Very surprised at the move tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Obviously doesn't wanna dip his toe back into club management just yet.

Could see him doing well with the Turks. They put everything into every game which makes his job a lot easier, and have some good young players as well as plenty of experienced heads. Also of course incredible (if absolutely nuts) fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Turkey are a good side. I think he will do pretty well with them too

Advertisement