Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to Clean up the City. Get the courts and City Council onto this!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Would love to see something like that in place here. Would love to see all suspended sentences carry some time doing this as well, and if they try to dodge it or not turn up, then the suspended sentence would become active.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

No doubt some do-gooder will turn up and bleat about human rights and prevent this from ever happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Knowing the scum in this town they'd use it as an excuse to case out neighbourhoods where they're cleaning up

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

This is happening in parts of Dublin already and is due to be extended. there was a report on Six-One a few weeks ago about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

This is happening in parts of Dublin already and is due to be extended. there was a report on Six-One a few weeks ago about it.
    between the politicians and the judges around here they would have to get 500 a week expenses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Yea - we could get some of them to console the parents of the innocent victims who were killed by there friends:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Don't blame the city council, get off your own backsides and clean YOUR city.:rolleyes:

The apathy in this country is disgusting. Always someone moaning about a problem, but never actually does anythnig but pass the blame and responsibility to someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I was wondering when you would resurface ha ha

Do you not think its a good idea Mys?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

mysterious wrote: »
    Don't blame the city council, get off your own backsides and clean YOUR city.:rolleyes:

The apathy in this country is disgusting. Always someone moaning about a problem, but never actually does anythnig but pass the blame and responsibility to someone else.

Im not spray painting walls and bridges, Im not dumping litter, I don't throw chewing gum. I smoke but I don't throw cigarettes on the ground. I have respect for the environment so why should I clean it up when there are people wrecking the place.

So when the council sends out litter fines for €150 they should take the people who do not pay to court and give them a hi viz and MAKE them clean up the mess they made and more to punish them and EDUCATE them not to do it again.

So you can keep your apathy remarks.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Instead of these leeches living in 5 star prisons where they have a menu at dinner time and get to choose if they want Skysports or Skymovies, pay their debt to society in this way. Get them out sweeping the streets, get them out mending paths and roads and have them in chain gangs wearing bright boiler suits for everyone to see like they do in the US. The coucils have very little money for fixing paths. roads, etc. The tax payer is already paying for these wasters so why not let them earn their keep and it will also serve as a reminder to what awaits them inside if they think about repeat offending?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Who is blaming the council for anything? Not one person in this thread has blamed them.

What is being said is that people caught and convicted in the courts of defacing property and littering should be made clean up as a punishment rather than getting a fine or suspended sentence.

I also think that such a scheme could be taken a step further and that such schemes should apply to all those that receive suspended sentences after being found guilty of crimes. That way there is something positive coming from whatever crime they have done, and the general public may feel that some good comes from people being caught for crimes rather than having people build up 50 or 60 convictions and getting mostly suspended sentences as a punishment.

At least with something like this, criminals get some form of punishment for what they do, the councils get cleaning work done, and the some of the public areas in the town and county get to look better.

An example would be the bridge in Dooradoyle that has been graffitied. Why should the council have to waste both man hours and tax payers money on cleaning it if there was a scheme where people caught and convicted of having graffitied were made to clean it up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

been saying this for years.

the government wanna cut costs so instead of paying for street sweepers or that overly expensive chewing gum removale machine why not make these anti-social messers to do all this. clean parks clean streets and an initiative to stop youth from anti social behaviour.

Also if you are caught urinating in the street - do what they do in the North and in the UK and make the offendor clean it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Mc Love wrote: »
    Also if you are caught urinating in the street - do what they do in the North and in the UK and make the offendor clean it up.

article-1224929-071086DB000005DC-316_468x683.jpg

One in the UK has a pressure washer on the back of a jeep. Police again. Gardai would look for a pay rise. :mad:

bet he was real proud of himself ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

I was just speaking about this on Sat as I was out walking my dog and there is a disused garage near my house and it is a disgrace.
    The amount of rubbish, bicycles, cans and crap everywhere is an eyesore.

I was saying that the guys in prison should be made to clean this up and make some sort of contribution to society.
    I really think it would be a win win for the city/country.

Advertisement